Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

PleasingFungus posted:

For those who might be interested, there's a new god being tested on cbro: Hepliaklqana, God of Ancestral Memory. (Sharing Ukayaw's branch, for more convenient in testing; pick up whichever one you find first!)

(Trivia: there have been two demigod games on the Ukayaw branch. I can't really explain why.)
ah gently caress I have an account here but none of my controls are set up.

Is there a way to copy over controls if my control changes were not made by rcfile, but by hitting ~ and then setting macros for each button I wanted to change?
e: also, what rcfile does this branch use?

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

IronicDongz posted:

ah gently caress I have an account here but none of my controls are set up.

Is there a way to copy over controls if my control changes were not made by rcfile, but by hitting ~ and then setting macros for each button I wanted to change?
e: also, what rcfile does this branch use?
That stuff ends up in your macros file. If you login via console you can access it for each version. I believe on the server it's stored in the same folder as your rc (with the name Player.macro instead of Player.rc).

Easiest way is to login via console, select the version that's set up like you want, copy it into clipboard, then open under experimentals and paste it in. I don't see a way to view/edit macro file directly from webtiles, for whatever reason.

I'm pretty sure the rcfile is the one in crawl/rcfiles/crawl-experimental/ on s-z, on cbro "Experimental branches use the same rc (player configuration file) as trunk."

kaschei fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 18, 2016

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Well I just splatted with unspellable H-god

my initial impressions, with a battlemage ancestor, are that this god really really highlights the fact that crawl's ally interface is not very good. In addition, the AI is so terrible that my ghost would regularly go from having quadruple my DPS to contributing literally very little from fight to fight. The god definitely has a lot of promise, but I wouldn't want it to enter a stable version without the ally mechanics being better.

Also, the ghost should probably not respawn while enemies are on the screen. I was heavily incentivized to start pillar-dancing as soon as it died.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

How do I play Hepliaklqana branch on console? I can't figure it out from any of the menus.

edit: turns out you go into the ukayaw branch on trunk.

odiv fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 18, 2016

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

PleasingFungus posted:

We had a bug sort of like that four years ago, but that's not quite the same, and I can't reproduce your bug locally in any case. Very odd. Pretty unlikely to be pure chance, but...

Thanks for checking, I didn't think that was actually the case anyway. Turns out 10th time was the charm, and it did a different orc end (the "classic" white stone concentric circles w/ 4 stores inside) this time. Sorry that took a while, but not every guy gets to the end of orc!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Taking a knight ancestor seems much much better than a battlemage ancestor. I currently have the highest DPS I've ever had without casting level 9 spells, I think.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Ukayaw trip report with MiGl: pretty interesting, with nice mix of passive and active battle perks. The mass paralysis is amazing and really helps me clean up with my axe. I've used the line dance a few times - it's good for positioning and trying to confuse multiple strong enemies, but it doesn't appear to take effect as much as the paralysis. Rarely use stomp or merge, but that's because I'm slaughtering things with my axe. I can see merge being useful against uniques; not sure about stomp but I can see how it'd be useful for other characters, just not a MiGl wielding axes.

Overall, fun god and the battle-focused gimmick is great. Hope he makes it into trunk. Might be a bit of overlap with Ru's powers.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I just got a rune in 1:17 by mashing my face against the tab key. H-god, choosing knight, is currently too powerful.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i miss igni or whatever it was called, that god of forging.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

odiv posted:

Is there a key that will let me pick up whatever I was going to pick up off the space I'm currently on? I've just been moving off the space and back, but is there a more efficient way to do it?

I think ; does this.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

kaschei posted:

I think the following should work:
pre:
autopickup_exceptions ^= <staff, >staff of
This doesn't work (it just set every staff to pickup, including quarterstaves), but

kaschei posted:

If that doesn't work, add | to your autopickup option and >staff of to your exceptions maybe?
this seems to have worked, thanks.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I just tabbed through the Elf ending vault with Ukaya :stare:
Mass paralysis and damage sharing is loving strong.

Although maybe my equipment has a bit to do with that too :v:

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

rchandra posted:

I think ; does this.

Hm, doesn't seem to when there are multiple items. Just lists them all again. thanks anyway.

edit: oh hey, it works if there are no enemies present though! Close enough!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

quote:

the Incunabulum of Evil Secrets and Self-Improvement

Found this next to a book of Party Tricks in Elf: 3. I guess one of those deep elves was trying to become more popular :smith:

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I swear this game waits to put Fragile on good randarts only when I am playing someone who is constantly switching rods/ranged weapons.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Angry Diplomat posted:

Found this next to a book of Party Tricks in Elf: 3. I guess one of those deep elves was trying to become more popular :smith:

Good thing you put him down, with the right staff he could have become a politician! :v:

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Huh, didn't realize there was a proto-slime vault you can run into in depths.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

World Famous W posted:

Huh, didn't realize there was a proto-slime vault you can run into in depths.

This picture would benefit from a jelly being inside one of those minivaults. :twisted:

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
So if the lair entrance is on D:11 and guarded by (at least) two oklob plants, and you're an OgBe with only 3 large rocks and really no armor...you just skip lair for a while, right? There's no way I can soak Oklob hits at XL:11.

A good Edit: Nevermind;Dead - Turned the corner to a Cyclops and two wraiths. Berserk could take them no problem, until Snorg and Josephine jumped me at the same time just as berserk was expiring. I will ogrecome one day...

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 19, 2016

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
The answer to that Lair entrance is supposed to be "Invisibility".

Assuming you've found potions of that or a cloak, I guess.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

A pair of Brothers might handle it also.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Or trog summons.

Edit:yeah what he said.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Standing behind a berserking deep troll is TrogTM brand invisibility

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
As the first person to win with Hepilqaula or whatever it's spelt, knight ancestors could probably be toned down at least a bit.

Ancestors hit maximum strength when you ding XL27 (at which point the ancestor is HD18).

At this point, a knight ancestor has 120 HP, 32 AC, 10 EV, rF+ and rC+, poison immunity and negative energy immunity due to being an undead spirit, SInv, is wielding a +9 broad axe of SPEED, and is carting around a +6 large shield of reflection. And it can Haste itself. Outside of the HP and a second rF+ pip, that stuff would perfectly fine for me to use in endgame personally. Having that ALONGSIDE a regular character is absolutely incredible.

I had the thing twice manage to kill an orb of fire by itself without me even using the heal + give AC ability once. With 120 HP, in melee. Note that another two times it did need me to use the heal + give AC buff ability to do so, and then the remaining times it just got taken by the OoF and I had to dispatch of it myself. Even so, having a chance to take down an ORB OF FIRE by itself without any external help is kind of incredible, especially with only rF+.

It is worth noting that Hepli's ancestor does have to stand out compared to the undead minion gifts of Yredelemnul (bone dragons and profane servitors are nuts and you can have a combined total of 3 of those versus the one ancestor you get) or the orc warlords of Beogh (whom can be gifted a single piece of equipment to offset their fragility, which can result in ridiculousness if they're walking around in GDA or the like, and you can get as many as you can raise up into warlords). Even so, Yred's gifts get torn to pieces on Zot:$ hilariously quickly, and only well equipped orcs can handle an OoF without being annihilated basically immediately, while the Knight ancestor was able to go toe-to-toe with the nastiest stuff in a 3-rune game and sometimes come up on top without any aid. And of course, orcs and undead minions stay dead when they die and are very difficult to replace, while the ancestor comes back a few dozen turns later nonetheless for wear.

One thing to worth noting regarding the ancestor is that a lot of it's power comes from the last few XLs: the knight only has a speed-branded weapon if you manage to hit XL27, only has a large shield over a regular shield once you hit XL25, and doesn't have the ability to haste itself until you hit XL24. I've had a win in which I didn't even hit XL24 at all, and probably a few more games in which XL24 or 25 didn't come until very late (Zot-late). Zot showering XP on you helps, but 3-rune speedruns using Hep will have to deal with a much weaker ancestor than a more conventional run.

Maybe battlemages could get the keep at range AI that orb spiders have to improve their functionality?

EDIT: And it's already been nerfed; the equipment ancestors get no longer is enchanted at all no matter what HD they are. RIP

the Orb of Zot fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 19, 2016

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Battlemages standing back would be amazing, especially if they get airstrike or something else smite targeted, and keep it through the higher levels.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Playing on the Ukayaw branch, having a blast, but, uh...

Pan seems to be missing?:confused:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

code:
Bogward looks and says, "I'd rather not die in your service, Floodkiller."
He knows too much, he'll have to be fed to Lernaen as well...

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
There needs to be exactly one change to the name "Hepliaklqana" and it's removing that loving q or moving the q to where the k is. As it stands it's nearly impossible to internalize because it's weirdly hard to pronounce. Hepliaklana/Hepliaqlana is at least possible to say.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Look after Dithmeons and Qazlal they needed to add another god with a terrible name to balance things out.

Kikqubaaqudghayredelmnulhepliaklqana

VVV Gozag's full name is Gozag Ym Sagoz so he's actually terrible to :v:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 19, 2016

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I remember complaining about Dithmengos's name but what I complained about was that "thm" is a very uncomfortable sound to make and instead they changed the part that was good, "engos", so Dithmenos is in the Bad Name Pile imo
Qazlal, Gozag, Ru, and Pakellas are all good good names though.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Mighty Dicktron posted:

There needs to be exactly one change to the name "Hepliaklqana" and it's removing that loving q or moving the q to where the k is. As it stands it's nearly impossible to internalize because it's weirdly hard to pronounce. Hepliaklana/Hepliaqlana is at least possible to say.

HEP lee ackle CHA na

hep lia CULL cha na

huh PLEE a kulk anuh

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Thanks to all for the feedback! All bugs mentioned so far (altar bugs, invocations bugs, knights being insanely overpowered 'bugs') are hopefully resolved now, along with another bug not mentioned that took three hours to sort out. Tomorrow hopefully I'll have time to start working on other changes.

cheetah7071 posted:

my initial impressions, with a battlemage ancestor, are that this god really really highlights the fact that crawl's ally interface is not very good. In addition, the AI is so terrible that my ghost would regularly go from having quadruple my DPS to contributing literally very little from fight to fight. The god definitely has a lot of promise, but I wouldn't want it to enter a stable version without the ally mechanics being better.

I'm not planning on making any huge changes to the way that allies work, but there are probably things that could improve the battlemage experience in particular - a few that were suggested were increasing the spellcasting frequency, giving battlemages maintain_range AI (like orb spiders), or letting them fire spells through you as if you were a fedhasite plant. I'll experiment and see what works.

cheetah7071 posted:

Also, the ghost should probably not respawn while enemies are on the screen. I was heavily incentivized to start pillar-dancing as soon as it died.

It's been suggested. My vague feeling is that any situation that's trivial enough to allow you to kite for long periods of time (no other enemies, no fast enemies, no obstructing terrain) is one that's not a big enough deal to worry about - you get the same phenomenon with qaz's clouds, for example. Qaz has the advantage of pulling the whole level toward you, though, which makes it a little different... I'll keep an eye on it and see how much of a problem it is in practice.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Dithmenos is a cool ominous name and you're all fire-loving light-dwelling weenies :colbert:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of Qazal, I always splat before I unlock the clouds, which is sad because the idea of fireball-loudness clouds erupting around me every turn sounds funny.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Crawl is usually pretty fair, but sometimes a shaft drops you from D:2 to D4 within sight of a draconian player ghost.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Draconian player ghosts are not fair at all when you encounter them early on. The draining breath can do upwards of 40 damage from range.

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker

quote:

a - 1621 gold the +11 great sword "Tormentor" {speed, rPois rC++ Dex+4}
Not pictured, the gray font color, because I'm a kobold and I can't wield it :(

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I just ran into a D6 that had: One adder, one jelly, one altar (ru), one bread ration, three scrolls, and three bits of mundane gear.
That was it. That was the entire floor. Every single tile explored. It was a huge floor. That was everything in it.

The RNG in this game is really stupid on the tail ends.

Nique
May 18, 2006

Been having a lot of fun with DsNe of Kiku and finally have a fairly promising one (cleared lair).

I'm still unsure when/what to use my pain brand on? I've trained up to 12 in m&f. Demon whip would be the best obviously but i don't feel like one will be coming soon and i haven't found anything else with a decent brand to use in the meantime.

Also unsure if i need to invest in other spell schools to handle immune mobs in a 3 rune game? So far i've found a book of flames + conjurations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Okay, the big immune ones in a 3-rune game are going to be Orbs of Fire, Ancient Lich and Electric Golems. Of those three only the lich are affected by Dispel Undead. You definitely want an alternative eventually but it doesn't have to be Conjurations; you could hybridize heavier and have a nice off-brand weapon on switch. Or alternatively wielding a two-hander so base damage is enough to handle big nasties on its own with Pain being the icing on the necromantic cake. A further option is Summons and mesh with your Necromancy in Haunt/Simulacrum.

And I guess if you ever get unlucky and be Banished to the Abyss, most of the chaotic nasties there aren't going to be affected by Pain/Bolt of Draining/Dispel Undead.

• Locked thread