Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Dumb question: for cleaning brushes with mineral spirits, what should I do with the mineral spirits afterwards? I know they need to be disposed of safely, but I'm not sure what the best way is when dealing with the small amount required to clean a paintbrush.

e: I think this answers my question well enough: http://emptyeasel.com/2007/01/26/how-to-clean-your-paint-brushes-after-oil-painting/ (plus the tip to pour the excess into sand or kitty litter).

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So, because I am a masochist, I think I am going to get back into the 40K modeling hobby by making up a small, themed chaos army. Rather than just trying to put an army on the table though, I am just going to be treating them as figure models and try and add a bunch of interesting flavor to them, with custom poses, non GW figures mixed in as needed, and the like. The theme I am going for is haunting/unsettling/disturbing/grotesque. Not in a "gore is gross" shock horror kind of way, but in a more uncanny valley, something isn't quite right, nightmare sort of way. (Think stuff like Silent Hill monsters, The Thing, and other things like that) The whole theme around the army's fluff is breaking the sanity of its enemies through fear and psychic manipulation.

Anyway, I was thinking for a cultist squad that I would end up having a mob of armed civilians and soldiers all being led by a psycher puppet master. I figured I would have the psycher be kind of in a marionette controller pose mixed kind of with psycho mantis floating(yeah, I know, a bit cliche pose wise, but I want it to be obvious that he is in control of a bunch of unwilling people) and I would have him wearing a sort of porciline mask similar to the picture below. (Or to the doll chick from Twisted Metal Black) Anyway, the issue that I am having is twofold. The first is that I need to find suitable 28mm figures to represent the puppets, as I want to mix civilians into the mix, preferably ones that dont' have chearful expressions on their face. Does anyone have any suggestions for that, or a suitable masklike head like the below image for the psycher?

The second is that I need to make it obvious that they are being controlled against their will. I already plan on having their eyes glowing blue, and blood running from their ears, and I was thinking of trying to pose the in poses that are off, such as holding a las rifle out to the side one handed, arm bent naturally, but not how you would bend it, face not looking the right way, but I am not 100% on how to pull this off without it looking stupid, so any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I would suggest looking up the Cephalyx from Warmachine. They have a very big psychic domination of surgically modified slaves thing going on. I'm not sure that the leaders are dressed like what you want, but maybe you could paint the front of their masks in the porcelain style?

The bodies of the Drudges (their slave troops) might also make a good base for modification. Very contorted and not quite right.

There are more than just these, but here are some examples:

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Mango Polo posted:

What krushgroove said, but if you want the ~~official~~ guide:

1. Prime black
2. Generous zenithal spray of FW Iron Hands (Leadbelcher I guess)
3. Careful zenithal spray of Runefang Steel
4. Multiple thin coats of Angron Clear Red (or Tamiya Clear Red, but it's a bit darker).
5. Edge highlight runefang

What is the same guide they had for Alpha Legion?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
You might want to look at AT-43, specifically the future-Earth faction (Therians?). Very similar to the pic.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

richyp posted:

Still waiting on an order of some VMC blue's so I can paint the armour. On the plus side it means I probably spent more time painting pretend make up on her face than I usually do an a model and I'm really pleased with how it and the rest of the face turned out.

First time I've painted a face without using a wash, quite pleased with the outcome especially considering the flesh coloured paint is also on the same order as the blues. Good old Pale Sand and German Orange save the day again.

Not sure if the red (orange) hair lacks enough contrast as it's the same colours I used for the skin only in different ratios. Should I keep it or paint it brown? I also daren't attempt the pupils until I get a new brush, my detail brush has more stray hair's than not.

The orange hair works well. I'd like to see it when the armour is painted, but as is, it looks good

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat

Pierzak posted:

You might want to look at AT-43, specifically the future-Earth faction (Therians?). Very similar to the pic.

I thought of those as well, especially cause they have a floating masked chick Omega Tiamat

Their rank and file are maybe a little too zombie/necron like though

Or maybe anothe rackham piece, Galhyan, Cynwäll heliast from the elf army. He's not floating, but he's got hella masks

I miss rackham so much :(

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Dr. Phildo posted:

The orange hair works well. I'd like to see it when the armour is painted, but as is, it looks good

Thanks, I'm going to stick with the orange as it seems to work with the blue.

My paints order arrived today and I had some time to work on the blue armour. Blending these blues was a nightmare but I'm pretty happy with the results as it's my first proper go at wet blending and using glaze medium as a retarder to use the acrylics like oils. The only thing I wish I'd done different was start with a lighter blue as the Prussian blue contrasts a bit too much from the lighter colours. It's also my first time paining over grey primer too, not sure if I prefer it to white but it's a good compromise.

Need to finish the grey's paint the weapon and maybe tone down the brown/olive highlights a bit.

It's probably the longest I've spent on a single mini in a long time and have discovered that I definitely find painting red a lot easier than blue for some reason.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
I think it's looking good so far, and the hair definitely goes nicely with the armor color.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Okay, well that Omega Tiamat thing is perfect. I definitely need to get ahold of one of those and hack it to pieces because that body and face are perfect.

Thanks guys.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
Yeah with the blue armour the orange hair is real purdy.

I've been grey priming recently just so I can see details a little better than white. I could do white and then a watered down wash, but I am a lazy lazy man (hence why there and pictures of mine up in here)

Jadebullet! Little warming about the AT-43 stuff. It's pre painted and the plastic can be a little softish. But I've only got a couple of their minis, so I don't know how it would be on a larger mini. It's still a really cool sculpt and should be hackable

Dr. Phildo fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 18, 2016

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Softer plastic shouldn't be too big of a deal, and should make it a little easier to carve up.

My only issue now will be finding one of these things. It looks like the At-43 system died and now the pieces have gotten rare, which is a shame because it looked like it was a pretty cool game.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ijyt posted:

Anyone know where I could get 3x1x1mm magnets in the UK? EMagnets and Spider Magnets don't have them, but I did find a seller in germany asking for £12.99 for 50.

Order them from KJ in the US. It's still the best way to get good magnets in this country.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

jadebullet posted:

Okay, well that Omega Tiamat thing is perfect. I definitely need to get ahold of one of those and hack it to pieces because that body and face are perfect.

Thanks guys.

If you're looking for similar heads, have a look at Puppetswar's Promethian Brides

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
My Patriot 105 is now not having any air come out when I press the trigger - I've disassembled and cleaned, the trigger is definitely locking into place. Air makes it to at least the quick release as the regulator screw on that, when removed, has air come out of the hole. I've replaced the air valve completely and no luck...

Could it be a problem with the quick release? We're talking 0 air, nothing at all when I press the trigger. I've ordered another quick release as its £4 only, but just a bit mystified.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
The space chewing gum on her space heels will be painted over once it's hardened, but otherwise she's done.

EDIT: Exposure settings are like voodoo magic (sharper picture, still poo poo)

richyp fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 18, 2016

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Lord Twisted posted:

My Patriot 105 is now not having any air come out when I press the trigger - I've disassembled and cleaned, the trigger is definitely locking into place. Air makes it to at least the quick release as the regulator screw on that, when removed, has air come out of the hole. I've replaced the air valve completely and no luck...

Could it be a problem with the quick release? We're talking 0 air, nothing at all when I press the trigger. I've ordered another quick release as its £4 only, but just a bit mystified.

I had a similar problem with a brand new airbrush I got a while back, and added a QR attachment. I even sent the airbrush back and got a new one, and put the QR on that too. Same problem. Utter. Mindfuck. Took the QR off and the airbrush worked great! Looked inside the QR and the little donut of foam inside the QR still had the 'donut hole' inside, which prevented air from getting into the airbrush. So...have a look at that.

If it's not that, try connecting the airbrush to the hose without the QR at all, it may bring up something that you didn't see before.

ijyt posted:

Anyone know where I could get 3x1x1mm magnets in the UK? EMagnets and Spider Magnets don't have them, but I did find a seller in germany asking for £12.99 for 50.

I use this ebay seller for most of my magnetizing needs: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/guysmagnets/ e: just looked through his items and didn't find 3x1x1mm on there, but if you message them they may have it. I've always been happy with the magnets I get it from them.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 18, 2016

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Yeah if the new QR doesn't work I'll order a direct connection... So bizarre as it was working 100% fine and now nothing! How did you look 'inside' the QR?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Lord Twisted posted:

How did you look 'inside' the QR?

In my case it was the bit that attaches to the airbrush that had the foam blockage, just have a look and see if you can look all the way through it. I'm talking about the small piece, not the part that has the slide or lock. Have you tried attaching the hose directly to the airbrush without the QR?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

I don't have a converter unfortunately, just got a QR. I'll order a direct connection as well tonight as they're only a couple of quid. 1/8 to 5mm for a badger 105 looks about right.

Cheers for the advice!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

welp looks like it was too good to be true after all

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Yeah, that's a shame. I was looking forward to getting those.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Cat Face Joe posted:

Aw hamburgers. I ordered this too.

Can anyone suggest a good guide for eyes? I've always been horrible at them but I'm willing to give it another go.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jadebullet posted:

So, because I am a masochist, I think I am going to get back into the 40K modeling hobby by making up a small, themed chaos army. Rather than just trying to put an army on the table though, I am just going to be treating them as figure models and try and add a bunch of interesting flavor to them, with custom poses, non GW figures mixed in as needed, and the like. The theme I am going for is haunting/unsettling/disturbing/grotesque. Not in a "gore is gross" shock horror kind of way, but in a more uncanny valley, something isn't quite right, nightmare sort of way. (Think stuff like Silent Hill monsters, The Thing, and other things like that) The whole theme around the army's fluff is breaking the sanity of its enemies through fear and psychic manipulation.

Anyway, I was thinking for a cultist squad that I would end up having a mob of armed civilians and soldiers all being led by a psycher puppet master. I figured I would have the psycher be kind of in a marionette controller pose mixed kind of with psycho mantis floating(yeah, I know, a bit cliche pose wise, but I want it to be obvious that he is in control of a bunch of unwilling people) and I would have him wearing a sort of porciline mask similar to the picture below. (Or to the doll chick from Twisted Metal Black) Anyway, the issue that I am having is twofold. The first is that I need to find suitable 28mm figures to represent the puppets, as I want to mix civilians into the mix, preferably ones that dont' have chearful expressions on their face. Does anyone have any suggestions for that, or a suitable masklike head like the below image for the psycher?

The second is that I need to make it obvious that they are being controlled against their will. I already plan on having their eyes glowing blue, and blood running from their ears, and I was thinking of trying to pose the in poses that are off, such as holding a las rifle out to the side one handed, arm bent naturally, but not how you would bend it, face not looking the right way, but I am not 100% on how to pull this off without it looking stupid, so any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Dark Age has models that might be up your alley for individual characters and such. Pretty much anything Core and Skarrd, Brood has a slight slaanesh vibe, and Kuklani have a psyker priest tzeentch vibe.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

crime fighting hog posted:

Can anyone suggest a good guide for eyes? I've always been horrible at them but I'm willing to give it another go.

It's actually super simple. Paint them black, then dot the very corners in white with the finest brush you've got. It keeps the pupil relatively centered, keeps you from getting a really :stare: look on them that you'd get from dotting the black in, and the black with white just in the corners kind of gives an eyeliner effect, accentuating the eye even more. You might have to hold the figure upside down to get one of the eyes just because of the angle, but with a steady hand it's not too bad,

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
What's the fastest way to get superglue off of Mantic's restic figures without dissolving them or killing me in the process? Will denatured alcohol do the trick?
I bought a used copy of Dreadball and there's just so much glue everywhere :(

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Electric Hobo posted:

What's the fastest way to get superglue off of Mantic's restic figures without dissolving them or killing me in the process? Will denatured alcohol do the trick?
I bought a used copy of Dreadball and there's just so much glue everywhere :(

I've heard sticking superglued models in the freezer for a couple of hours causes the glue to go brittle making it easier to disassemble models.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I completely forgot about the freezer trick. I'll give it a try and then try with acetone if the large blobs doesn't come off.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I have a metal space marine that I would like to remove the head from. What is the best method for removing the head with minimal damage to the body or the head? (Tool wise I have a hobby knife set, a hobby saw with multiple blades, the citadel sprue clippers, and needle files)

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Depending on how the head's attached and if there's any bulky detail around it, you may be best off with a jeweller's saw or similar.

If there's a lot of detail around the connection you may have to abandon either the body or head (depending on which is most important to you).

Got any pics of the dude?

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Might not be as good as the previous suggestion but I paint the eyes white then do a dot with a micro pen I bought. Easy to fix if your eyes end up looking goofy.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
No pics right now as I am at work and I can't find a pic online of it. It is one of the old Black Templar veterans I think, but I am not sure, but it has a nice knight head, and robed body that has a pose that I like. The problem is that the head is perfect for one modeling project, while the body is perfect for a different one.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Bistromatic posted:

My Armada wrecks are nearly complete, i mostly need to make some blob shaped acrylic bases for them.

Post this to the armada/xwing thread because people will love it. Nice work. I'm painting my Imperial Squadron pack now, for the first time painting models since I was a kid. It is... interesting.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Well, Amazon cancelled my brush order for the cheap Windsor & Newton from a while back. Said they were "unable to obtain" them.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

DeadGame posted:

What is the same guide they had for Alpha Legion?

Oh boy, there's a bunch of versions... fitting for the Alphas. The basic idea is similar to the Thousand Sons except with one or two extra steps.

Base black (or a very dark silver), then two zenithal sprays of lighter silver shades.
Do a light zenithal spray of Tamita Clear Green.
Finish with multiple sprays of Tamiya Clear Blue until you get what you want.

On the larger models FW did multiple passes of green and blue to create variance in the color.

You can also flip the green and blue order around to have a greener tint.

I don't know how the FW clear green and blue compare, but they most likely produce a different result. E.g., Angron Red is visibly brighter and more orange than Clear Red.
You can also toss in some clear purple instead of the green for yet a different result.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
If you'd rather not screw with spraying it, Scale75 make really nice colored metallics, in colors that look a pretty close match to the final result there.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I'm betting you could mix red or red and orange ghost tints with metal medium and get a close match. I'd be willing to test it for you if you want.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Mango, are those yours? They look great.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Cat Face Joe posted:

Felime posted:

Yeah, that's a shame. I was looking forward to getting those.

Hauki posted:

Well, Amazon cancelled my brush order for the cheap Windsor & Newton from a while back. Said they were "unable to obtain" them.

Good to know it wasn't only me.

On a different note, I'm looking to paint some mantic troopers in a 'Solid snake' style pattern and wondered if anyone had any advice for painting and shading blue-grey, or what a good basing scheme might be. Or just any fun Metal Gear ideas or models for inspiration :ocelot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
So like does Amazon just throw poo poo up that they think they might totally be able to get in a few months, regardless of any sort of contract with the supplier? :stare: That's the sort of thing I'd expect from Kickstarter idea men who don't know how business works, not from, well, Amazon.