Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

spacetoaster posted:

That's fricken ate up.

Think how much better it is now with peace-time Army infecting everything! Though to be fair this was in Korea, which is basically the petri dish where the worst sides of peace-time Army and deployed Army are bred together to see what the hardiest possible strain of soldier-loving looks like. So Korea probably isn't much worse in that aspect, but I bet the rest of the force is catching up now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

SumYungGui posted:

Think how much better it is now with peace-time Army infecting everything! Though to be fair this was in Korea, which is basically the petri dish where the worst sides of peace-time Army and deployed Army are bred together to see what the hardiest possible strain of soldier-loving looks like. So Korea probably isn't much worse in that aspect, but I bet the rest of the force is catching up now.

I remember the Clinton years. Everything was really good for a while after the invasion of Iraq. Money, money, money. You want something? You got it. Bonus? Heck yeah.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
If you got off at 5pm how the gently caress were you not too drunk to drive by 6?

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

yeah that sounds about like my chemical company

Sounds like my entire time in. If you didn't answer your phone you and everyone around you was hosed.

I still have nightmares about this.

Infantry hooah *kills self*

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Obstacle2 posted:

Sounds like my entire time in. If you didn't answer your phone you and everyone around you was hosed.

I still have nightmares about this.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Obstacle2 posted:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Obstacle2 posted:

Infantryartillery hooah *kills self*

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

not caring here posted:

If you got off at 5pm how the gently caress were you not too drunk to drive by 6?

Buzzed driving is drunk driving.

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
So I'm in the reserves and I just got a txt from my fll that we have PT at 0600 on Sat. I live two hrs away which means I get to wake up at 0330 and drive my happy rear end two hrs. All to do a few pushups and some gay stretches.

I realize this is probably low on the list of lovely things the Army has done compared to what you full timers go through but gently caress it sucks to work a full week, do this stupid poo poo on the weekend, then go back to work the next week.

gently caress this loving poo poo gently caress the Army.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Huskalator posted:

So I'm in the reserves and I just got a txt from my fll that we have PT at 0600 on Sat. I live two hrs away which means I get to wake up at 0330 and drive my happy rear end two hrs. All to do a few pushups and some gay stretches.

I realize this is probably low on the list of lovely things the Army has done compared to what you full timers go through but gently caress it sucks to work a full week, do this stupid poo poo on the weekend, then go back to work the next week.

Have you considered inventing a time machine so you can go back in time and take the pen you use to sign up and shove it up your own butt

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Huskalator posted:

We're all dumb for joining but honestly I'm not entire sure what anyone expects when they join the reserves. Like its very obviously not going to be some cool high speed poo poo one weekend a month.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Whenever people talk about going reserves after getting out for benefits, keeping your clearance, and "it's only one weekend a month!" it sounds pretty nice.

Then I read posts here and I remember why I will never ever do that.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

You develop a weird sort of depression each month that starts the Monday before the drill weekend and ends when you drive off post on Sunday

I had a decent guard experience but yeah drill weekends sucked unless you had a cool group of people to run and hide with

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Obstacle2 posted:

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

You develop a weird sort of depression each month that starts the Monday before the drill weekend and ends when you drive off post on Sunday

I had a decent guard experience but yeah drill weekends sucked unless you had a cool group of people to run and hide with

This. My lower level command structure, platoon wise were awesome. Low key squad leaders all the way up to the PL, and with no CO it was run by our full time AGR dude who was a sergeant first class that didn't give 2 fucks aside from us doing our job.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Yep. It's odd, because drill itself is never actually that bad, but it's more the realization that I'm wasting an entire weekend out of my life.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Aranan posted:

Whenever people talk about going reserves after getting out for benefits, keeping your clearance, and "it's only one weekend a month!" it sounds pretty nice.

Then I read posts here and I remember why I will never ever do that.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Obstacle2 posted:

We're all dumb for joining but honestly I'm not entire sure what anyone expects when they join the reserves. Like its very obviously not going to be some cool high speed poo poo one weekend a month.

I joined for smart reasons. Without the Army, I could honestly say I'd be still homeless or in jail.

Doesn't change me hating them, but there's also like that internal nod thing you do when you'd pass someone you know in the hallway that you don't talk to anymore but you're like "we got history, respect." and they nod back. It's like that. Except less gay.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Soulex posted:

I joined for smart reasons. Without the Army, I could honestly say I'd be still homeless or in jail.

Doesn't change me hating them, but there's also like that internal nod thing you do when you'd pass someone you know in the hallway that you don't talk to anymore but you're like "we got history, respect." and they nod back. It's like that. Except less gay.

This. Because of the Army I've got a couple of degrees, and a small pile of money.

I also don't have to work anymore unless I just want to (after i retire next year).

*edit* also, the national guard can be a good move if you go into it with a specific goal in mind. I helped a friend of mine join a year, or so, ago. She got 50,000 dollars of her student loans paid off. She also got an MOS that gets her experience, and a clearance, for a civilian job she wants.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 19, 2016

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
So I'm on a work detail that involves listening to dudes on a training mission over the radio, logging all the reports and grids sent up, plotting them, and then using all that information to make an AAR power point presentation. The CPT conducting the AAR doesn't even see the point of the power point slides since he has his own notes to go off of. The whole reason I'm listening to hours of radio chatter is to make said slides. I'm sure someone higher up thought power point slides for AAR's was a GREAT idea and by god there better be power point slides. Also I have to make a report of everything that happened during the mission which almost certainly disappears into a folder never to see the light of day again because the grades are done by the end of the mission anyway.

Basically I'm working 8 hour shifts on a weird schedule for 2 weeks straight, no weekends, and it's almost entirely useless.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mustang posted:

Basically I'm working 8 hour shifts on a weird schedule for 2 weeks straight, no weekends, and it's almost entirely useless.

staffofficer.txt

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm in the most shamtastic position because they don't consider me primary staff because I'm not an O4, but I'm still actually primary staff so they can't give me bitch work.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Sir, according to my reports around 0432 Fanger 3 called Hopscotch 2 a dirty human being. This was inline with SOP. Around 0433 Hopscotch 2 retorted that Fanger 3's mother was a very promiscuous woman and that he just came from her house. This was not in accordance with SOP and they were promptly told to shut up by range control. Pending any questions?

Next slide.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Sir, this slide shows the frequency of how many times per exercise a radio was used for the express purpose of broadcasting flatulence. You can see our numbers spiked in the early afternoon and tapered off towards 1700. The longest broadcast was by Nemo 4-5 and lasted 28 seconds. He was met with applause throughout the net.

Questions?

Next slide.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Sir, in front of you is the use of portapotty locations throughout the exercise. You can see that portapotty usage dramatically drops around day 2, and stays that way until day 6 which spikes exponentially. Radio traffic suggests that MREs were the direct cause of portapotty avoidance through constapation. Buttbutt 2-1 recorded at 2310 that he "just poo poo the size of a soup can." Mechanics were eventually called on site as the portapotties would not flush due to this soupcan turd.

Next slide.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Sir this last slide is how far I got on candy crush and other various ios games during the entirety of the exercise. As you can see my levels spiked towards mission briefings, CUBS,BUBS, and shift change. I'd also like to announce I am on level 492 and had to pay for energy only 5 times during this exercise. This is a great accomplishment upkeeping with the standards of the United States Military, and my award recommendation is in your inbox.

That concludes my brief sir. Any questions? I'll be followed by the people who made coffee in the TOC and JOC.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Sir, I will be using interpretive dance to brief the next set of excel spreadsheet data slides.

All questions will be answered by my NCOIC.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

I like to imagine there was a PFC who was ordered to chock and drip pan the airframe.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I got many a good laugh at Fort Hood seeing tanks with one dinky little rubber chock block under their treads.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

SumYungGui posted:

I got many a good laugh at Fort Hood seeing tanks with one dinky little rubber chock block under their treads.

Off the topic here a bit. Did you know that concertina wire can stop a tank? I had no idea.

It totally can.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Haha, Soulex the CPT I make the slides for would find that hilarious but the West Point CPT in charge of me would lose his God damned mind.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Concertina is a loving bitch to get out of tracks. It's still a bitch to get out of axles, too. One of my guys drove over some and we all had to get under and snip and pull with metal shears and work gloves.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I constantly talk about how I can't wait to get out and yet I am trying to figure out if I can extend for a year now.

I hate myself.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

What I don't get is finding ancient concertina wire in the middle of nowhere in training areas. Usually I cant even tell what the purpose is because it will just be like 10 or 15 feet of it just left there for who knows how long. Its almost impossible to see at night too, surprised I haven't seen anyone get cut up when they get stuck in it.

Benning is full of old poo poo just left in the woods.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mustang posted:

What I don't get is finding ancient concertina wire in the middle of nowhere in training areas. Usually I cant even tell what the purpose is because it will just be like 10 or 15 feet of it just left there for who knows how long. Its almost impossible to see at night too, surprised I haven't seen anyone get cut up when they get stuck in it.

Benning is full of old poo poo just left in the woods.

The worst is when it rusts into a nice shade of brown that blends right in to the rest of the woods.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's in the middle of nowhere because it was probably surrounding a parked vehicle at some point.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

If your driver straight runs over concertina the unwritten rule is he gets wrapped around the axle too.

HEY THAT WAS REAL FUNNY PRIVATE C'MERE SO I CAN SHOW YOU A NEAT TRICK

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Everyone I know in the Guards lives in some sort of bizarro world where they do water jumps from Blackhawks on the weekends and travel to Australia for joint exercises, it's fuckin' bullshit

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Justin Tyme posted:

Everyone I know in the Guards lives in some sort of bizarro world where they do water jumps from Blackhawks on the weekends and travel to Australia for joint exercises, it's fuckin' bullshit

Grass is always greener etc.

The last goddamn cool exercise I did was deployment because my battalion constantly got, "I can't believe you guys are guard," as a backhanded compliment and the work we did left the net in better shape than we got it.

Otherwise it's the same poo poo every reserve unit; out of touch full timers, wannabe active try hards, putting off all paper work until drill weekend, effectively loving soldiers out of real training for check the box bullshit classes so some SNCO can pad their NCOER.

poo poo doesn't change, people who don't want to be effective leaders act like military "leaders", but there are good dudes and good leaders too, and we get 25 days a month average away from dumb Army poo poo, so we win over active life, especially when you get sweet civilian jobs that pay differentials and double dipping on deployment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Aranan posted:

I constantly talk about how I can't wait to get out and yet I am trying to figure out if I can extend for a year now.

I hate myself.

ps you havent lived until youve tripped over a half buried spool of c-wire while running down a grassy hill during pt

• Locked thread