Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Lightbulb Out posted:

You probably need to rebuild your sticky/lovely door locks and then replace the central locking relays.

I've had all the same problems with my cars and have had to do the same.

That's what I was thinking. For whatever reason I've never been able to find both sides' rebuild kits in stock at the same place at the same time, so I guess I'll just suck it up and order separately or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I need to get the roof painted as the Colorado sun and my neglect caused some clear peels. What am I looking for in a shop? Obviously I want a bit better than Maaco.

e: schwarz

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Been tooling around today, put about 35 miles on it (I gather I need to run for ~50-60 after the battery change to get the sensors/ecu ready for smog test). Purring. havent driven stick in a year and a half, ol' lefty's sore haha.

I'm nervous because the GDCS is running _perfectly_. I swapped the radiator, thermostat, water pump, expansion tank and hoses 3 months before it went into mothballs. Still do not loving trust it. GDCS. Topping out 102C in traffic, 97-99 on the move. I can deal with whatever long term, I just don't want it to blow coolant on the smog dyno tomorrow.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
feel like this is turning into my blog. Anyways the 540 passed smog with 0.64/1.2 allowable HC, 1.005/2.0 allowable nox. Hell yeah. tags tomorrow and then we _roll_

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Jonny 290 posted:

feel like this is turning into my blog. Anyways the 540 passed smog with 0.64/1.2 allowable HC, 1.005/2.0 allowable nox. Hell yeah. tags tomorrow and then we _roll_

Nice. I have really been missing my old 540i, of course craigslist tempts me with one that is right at 120,000 miles, 6 speed and in pretty good condition.... for the low price of 5k. Must. Resist.....

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
As a person that hasn't been into German cars until lately, I'm starting to shop BMW's this go around. My dilemma is buy an e36 m3 couple or a newer e90. I'm at a point in my life where a coupe sounds fun after having 4 doors for so long, and I want to be irresponsible. In my head going older gives me room to get out of the car and not lose my rear end if I sell it.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

savesthedayrocks posted:

My dilemma is buy an e36 m3 couple or a newer e90.

E90 coupe. It will be cheaper than a pristine E36 M3 and at this point you shouldn't lose too much on depreciation.

Unless you are looking for a project and 200 ish RWHP.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
If you're in the states, cross the e36 m3 off your list, in my opinion. second the e90

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

savesthedayrocks posted:

As a person that hasn't been into German cars until lately, I'm starting to shop BMW's this go around. My dilemma is buy an e36 m3 couple or a newer e90. I'm at a point in my life where a coupe sounds fun after having 4 doors for so long, and I want to be irresponsible. In my head going older gives me room to get out of the car and not lose my rear end if I sell it.

I love the E36 M3 but at this point the NEWEST one is going to be 17 years old, if you like working on cars and possibly have a second vehicle then go for it. For the money you can probably get a nicer E90 at this point, it will be more comfortable and nicer overall.

I'd still test drive both but finding a nice, properly maintained E36 is getting harder.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood
So, does that mean for the M3-hungry, we should be looking at E46s?

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005

mechaet posted:

They're better in every way. So yes.

boji
Sep 6, 2003
Monkey hate clean.
I'm trying to figure out what upgrades I should be looking next at for my F30 335i. So far I have the M-power kit, the M exhaust, and recently I had some Dinan springs installed (holy poo poo how did I not do this the day after I bought the car).

Since it hasn't been too long since I got the M tune and the exhaust, which I know isn't the best value for the dime (even though I got a solid deal).. I'll probably hold off on the more aggressive aftermarket options there. I do love the sound of the car now, so if there are options to highlight that a bit more without replacing the M exhaust system, that would be cool.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Test drove a manual 135is a couple days ago, I liked it much better than the DCT car I drove. It's an is so it's going to be more than I want to spend on a 135, but I'm definitely a fan.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

mechaet posted:

Or E86s, yes. :getin:

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Ormy posted:

They're better in every way. So yes.

Thank you for your wrong opinion, please continue to limit appreciation on god's chariot.
At least until I can buy another pristine estoril cabriolet :getin:

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

SuperDucky posted:

Thank you for your wrong opinion, please continue to limit appreciation on god's rattletrap

Huh? Could you say that again? I couldn't hear you over the rattle of my RSM, RTAB, FCAB, RBLAHBLAHS, FSM, LTWFW, and spray of the GDCS.

BMW THREAD: Aviation knows nothing about preventive maintenance.

Love my M and it's 18 year-old-ness.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Is there some trick for changing the front turn signal bulb on an E46? I can't figure it out.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

Wrar posted:

Is there some trick for changing the front turn signal bulb on an E46? I can't figure it out.

yeah you need to depress a tab with a screwdriver and then the lens should just pop out. it took a few plays of a youtube tutorial for me to figure it out.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
Any ideas on an e30 differential bushing bolt? It seems like the diff bounces up and down like the bolt is too small. Could the mount be worn on the car?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Wrar posted:

There is a tab that you press vertically down from the hole in the front fender above the corner light, then the whole thing pulls forward.

Dyscrasia posted:

Any ideas on an e30 differential bushing bolt? It seems like the diff bounces up and down like the bolt is too small. Could the mount be worn on the car?

It's an E30, all of the bushings are gone.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

I drove from LA to Phoenix today and got a quite frankly unexpectedly high level of fuel economy. The window sticker claims 20 is as good as you can expect, and on arrival I mathed up the gas I used and the trip computer is actually pretty accurate.

At one point I was at 24.7mpg before getting stuck in typical West Coast two-lane highway driving for the last 50 miles. (drive 65.9 mph in the right lane, pass at 66mph in the left lane getting in front of anyone no matter how fast they're coming up on you, never take a hint when 40 cars pass you on the right)

75mph average speed from door to door with two stops :getin:

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
That's pretty good. On the way out from Atlanta to Texas I was averaging 74.5 mph and got 26.4 mpg.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Dyscrasia posted:

If you haven't personally done it or have a receipt for it, the diff mount almost assuredly needs to be done.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

SuperDucky posted:

If you haven't personally done it or have a receipt for it, the diff mount almost assuredly needs to be done.

That could be it. My diff is a bit beat up and I just replaced the rear subframe along with bushings. It just seemed like the bolt was a little loose on the car side vs the diff mount.

At least the parts stockpile my garage has become has paid off, I've got a new bushing. Anyone replaced one without dropping the diff? I can probably get the old one out, not sure I can push the new one in though.

Dyscrasia fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 20, 2016

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

TWSS posted:

yeah you need to depress a tab with a screwdriver and then the lens should just pop out. it took a few plays of a youtube tutorial for me to figure it out.

Not quite. There are three different front turn signal lenses in the E46; the post-facelift lens, and two different designs in the pre-facelift cars. The early lens is the snap-in type where you push the tab, while the later design where there is a retaining screw that goes through a loop on the lens. The changeover happened on build dates between 08/2001 and 09/2001.

Funny story, my car has a build date of 08/30/2001, and has the post 09/2001 lenses. That was fun to figure out by trial and error :suicide:

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Looking for some insight:

I'm getting strange handling behavior that I'm having trouble tracking down. My steering seems to be influenced by road conditions more more strongly than I think it should. Turning at any speed feels like I'm compressing a spring instead of being smooth and linear. I also feel like I'm constantly fighting the angle of a road.

I have replaced the tie rod ends and front end suspension bits, as well as the steering linkage between the wheel and the rack. Tire pressure is good. Alignment could be off after a front CV axle replacement but I track straight on good, level roads.

The only thing I can think of next is replacing the steering rack and pump.

Any thoughts?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Need some advice on used BMW's. My wife is going to be in the market for a car soon, currently driving a '96 Camry with 200k miles on it. We have been going back and forth with what to focus on, but after general research and discovering that I could get a drat '07 3 series for the price of an '07 Maxima and the like, we keep coming back to BMW's more specifically the E91 wagon and the X3. Possibly an E90 sedan. She loves the wagon but likes small SUVs as well, and honestly I'd rather get an X3 over a Toyota Highlander for the same amount of money if it comes down to it. The problem with the wagon is they are pretty rare, but there are tons of X3's around and they're cheaper too.

I already know about the GDCS but is there anything else I need to keep in mind when looking at these cars? The cars in our price range go from '06 to '08 with around 100k miles on them. We're not quite ready to buy yet, but here's a few examples of what our market looks like:

http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/cto/5420815836.html

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/ctd/5448625295.html

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/5455300126.html

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/5421535228.html

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
E90 is a much better choice than the x3

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

How is the reliability of E90's overall? For the record I don't want AWD or the turbo.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
FWIW - I bought my ex wife an X3. It wasn't a bad car by any means, but it wasn't very good. If I was in the market for an SUV that sized, I would go for the Highlander, the X3 felt cheap. If its an SUV you are after, you are MUCH better off buying an X5. The interior is light years ahead of the X3 being its mostly based off the 5 series of the same generation, and a bonus, its not terribly much bigger than the X3, plus The MPGs aren't that far off from the X3. I know they rate the X3 at 26/19, but when I owned mine, it was returning 21 mixed 50/50 driving.

The X3 of that generation has funky programming on the auto box/engine. It does weird poo poo for no reason, hanging onto gears longer than usual, jerky off the line. The only perks to the X3 is for an SUV, it handles pretty well.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Search on Cars.com for a 2010-2011 E91 Wagon and see if any fit your budget. Have at least $2k laying around or a credit line to immediately do any deferred maintenance.

EDIT: godddamned Performance Auto Group is hoarding a lot of E90 2011 Wagons for $30k+ :colbert:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/659399159/overview/

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 21, 2016

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I've often heard the E91 328xi can have a rough/lurchy AT. I have not driven one myself.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BrokenKnucklez posted:

FWIW - I bought my ex wife an X3. It wasn't a bad car by any means, but it wasn't very good. If I was in the market for an SUV that sized, I would go for the Highlander, the X3 felt cheap. If its an SUV you are after, you are MUCH better off buying an X5. The interior is light years ahead of the X3 being its mostly based off the 5 series of the same generation, and a bonus, its not terribly much bigger than the X3, plus The MPGs aren't that far off from the X3. I know they rate the X3 at 26/19, but when I owned mine, it was returning 21 mixed 50/50 driving.

The X3 of that generation has funky programming on the auto box/engine. It does weird poo poo for no reason, hanging onto gears longer than usual, jerky off the line. The only perks to the X3 is for an SUV, it handles pretty well.

I was considering the Highlander until after some research found out they have way too many issues overall, between oil consumption problems and transmission issues no thanks I'll pass. Toyota is a shell of it's former self, personally I would not buy one past the 90's after reading all the problems with the newer cars.

How is the reliability of the X5? How are the transmissions in them?

blk posted:

I've often heard the E91 328xi can have a rough/lurchy AT. I have not driven one myself.

Xi's are out of the question, I don't need the extra complexity of AWD.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Keyser S0ze posted:

Search on Cars.com for a 2010-2011 E91 Wagon and see if any fit your budget. Have at least $2k laying around or a credit line to immediately do any deferred maintenance.

EDIT: godddamned Performance Auto Group is hoarding a lot of E90 2011 Wagons for $30k+ :colbert:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/659399159/overview/

gently caress these guys.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

leica posted:

I was considering the Highlander until after some research found out they have way too many issues overall, between oil consumption problems and transmission issues no thanks I'll pass. Toyota is a shell of it's former self, personally I would not buy one past the 90's after reading all the problems with the newer cars.

How is the reliability of the X5? How are the transmissions in them?

The 07+ newer all use a 6 speed ZF auto which is pretty drat good. The previous gen X5's 6 cylinder (3.0) use a GM tranny that can farts out a couple of gears when provoked. The early V8s (4.4, 4.6Si) use a ZF 5HP24 which is a good unit as long as its kept up on maintenance, the 4.8si model gains the same 6 speed as the newer ones.

The 4.8Si (N62) models have a problem with burning oil, they love to eat valve seals, there is a 4.4 N62 as well, I think that changed over in 03, avoid that model as well. The M62 in the 99-02 models is a rock solid engine, there are a few issues, but its all extremely well documented.

I assume your looking for an economy model for the wife - my suggestion is to look for an 07+ model with a 3.0, the V8s are pretty thirsty, but will scoot when needed. The later years, I think 2010? and newer gained the turbo motor.

I am not sure your price range, but it goes with out saying - get the best model you can afford. The more repair and maintenance receipts, the better.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ok thanks. It's all gonna come down to the budget so I'll be back to ask more questions once that's set for sure and I've got a few cars lined up.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

leica posted:

I don't think they sold the E91 without AWD in the states until MY08, and even then it seems hard to find.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
07 to 11 328s are the N52, which was also used in the Z4, X3, 525/530, some X5s, and is still used in some Euro models. It's pretty good. The 09+ models theoretically have a revised water pump, but rule of thumb is much like the E46 - just do the water pump and thermostat at 100k.

Only unusual wear item I've had is the passenger seat occupancy sensor, which is kind of a pain in the rear end, but it's supposedly rare, and you could always code the passenger airbag to just be on. The hvac blower went twice on my 09, I used the CPO for the first one, but it literally took me 15 minutes to do the second time, as there are four screws in the passenger footwell. Easiest thing ever.

Brakes and oil maintenance is a bit more expensive, $60ish for an oil DIY, and $250ish per axle for brakes DIY. Both are pretty easy to do. If you buy one, plan on immediately doing the oil, brake fluid, coolant, and ATF if you're buying an auto.

I like mine quite a bit. I just did the BMW Driving School, and the new 340 and M235 make some fantastically glorious noises, and handle very well, but I still like my 328xi that I upgraded to a 330xi. Just the tune is a few hundred, and bumps the horsepower a bit and fixes the throttle mapping. The intake manifold is more work, but you could always just pay Active Autowerke to do it, I think they're in your neck of the woods in FL anyway.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sounds good. We both really like the E91, the X5 is kinda cool but I think it's overkill. Of course the wife loves the looks of it :v:

I'm willing to spend a bit more on parts as long as the car lives up to the expectations, never owned a BMW before so I'm kinda looking forward to it if everything works out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

concise posted:

Looking for some insight: stuff
Get an alignment before you replace any more parts.