Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Customer service doesn't mean much when you're in the middle of nowhere Arkansas and need it fixed by the only amp tech in a 300 mile radius and have 7 hours until the show. My band tours a fair amount, and the daily abuse our amps take, and getting them fixed fast means this is a very real scenario. I kinda think about every piece of gear that way now, I know not everyone is in the same boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pokey Araya posted:

Customer service doesn't mean much when you're in the middle of nowhere Arkansas and need it fixed by the only amp tech in a 300 mile radius and have 7 hours until the show. My band tours a fair amount, and the daily abuse our amps take, and getting them fixed fast means this is a very real scenario. I kinda think about every piece of gear that way now, I know not everyone is in the same boat.

Fair enough. Do remember that, if you ARE making money from touring, you might as well invest on getting backup gear.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So I did end up pickin up an Amplug Classic Rock from the store. Cleans are absolutely brilliant, and the preset effects (specifically the reverb) are good enough for my purposes, though I'll probably stick to my chorus pedal over the built-in one.

Standard high-gain tone is pretty good, but if you really crank it (or boost the signal up with the EQ pedal) the distortion gets kinda clippy and hard to control. With my distortion pedals, though, it can just sing; the Metal Muff and Big Muff are particularly nice, while the MD-2 is kinda just there (same as my big amp).

It does have an aux jack, good for the once every five years that I actually use a metronome for anything.

Overall I almost prefer it to my Crate, though obviously it's kinda niche; 3.5/5 for versatility, 5/5 for tone and, you know, playing in privacy.

I do need to get some non-chinesium batteries for it though, the ones it came with seem to be dead after just a few hours of play time. No power jack either.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

Wark Say posted:

Fair enough. Do remember that, if you ARE making money from touring, you might as well invest on getting backup gear.

If I could fit an extra amp, and/or a thimble in there I would.
Ninja edit : bottom right ended up having another backpack there.
Also see if you can find a non-essential item you could take out of this list, its not even the whole thing.

Pokey Araya fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Feb 19, 2016

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Pokey Araya posted:

Also see if you can find a non-essential item you could take out of this list, its not even the whole thing.

build a loft and that stuff will fit in a bit better.

trust me.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I'm pretty sure Steve's head should be on his shoulders.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
At least the arrow doesn't point at the driver/passengers and say "assholes, this way" like it would have to for us.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Crate power block or ehx 22 caliber are good options for amp backups

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
my back up amp on tour is whatever the opening band is using

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Smash it Smash hit posted:

my back up amp on tour is whatever all the opening bands are using, simultaneously

:rock:

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

Smash it Smash hit posted:

build a loft and that stuff will fit in a bit better.

trust me.

We have a wall the goes to the ceiling, and a bed, and merch that fits underneath. This isn't our first rodeo, there isn't any more room, trust me.

Speaking of customer service, this last tour we had some problems with an Orange Rockerverb,
so we took it to our buddies at the Orange warehouse outside of Atlanta. Fixed it, and re-tubed it for free, and we got to check out all the new poo poo in the warehouse.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Pokey Araya posted:

Speaking of customer service, this last tour we had some problems with an Orange Rockerverb,
so we took it to our buddies at the Orange warehouse outside of Atlanta. Fixed it, and re-tubed it for free, and we got to check out all the new poo poo in the warehouse.

So this is what heaven looks like :swoon:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That is freaking nice. Not a super fan of the combos or heads (I do have a few, and the Rockerverb 50 and the TH30 are off the loving hook), but the cabs are badass. Especially the open back cabs.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I successfully built a 5f1 Champ clone into an old solid state amp :toot: I just need to switch the speaker out because as it happens, the chinese-made speaker one comes in can't exactly handle the low end output and it makes a horrible noise if you get too much power on a lower note, a phenemenon that does not occur with the Eminence on my older tube amp. I'll post some pictures later on once I pop the whole thing back apart to put a speaker in.

If anyone else is interested in doing that, my advice is, well... don't. The whole way the the chassis is built does not cooperate very well with the various things you need to mount in there. Just find a fresh chassis that fits and go from there.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Oh god my bass 'bout to be loud as gently caress, these just showed up today.
Orange OB-1 500 watts of solid state powaaaa.

Pokey Araya fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 4, 2016

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That's the good poo poo

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Pokey Araya posted:

Damned drummers!

If I was going to tour these days I'd just run a Kemper.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
Quilter Tone Block or the new Pro Block are probably very good candidates for backup amp. They're tiny, weigh next to nothing, don't care what cab they're plugged into (even no cab is fine), sound great, are fairly cheap, and have every feature you'd probably need other than channel switching. You could probably even cram one into that crazy van if you really had to.

The Aviator and MicroPro heads are more full-featured, but also bigger and more expensive. I'm obviously biased since I use a aviator combo already, but I'd almost certainly go with a Pro Block if I needed a backup for touring.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Whoa, that looks awesome, has anyone played one?

Sorry to keep cross posting from the bass thread, but gently caress it, AMPS!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5bcYtOw9Us

Pokey Araya fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 8, 2016

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Anyone used a Marshall Valvestate 8080 amp or a similar model? A nearby pawn shop has one for $250 and I probably could get them to sell it for $200. I am looking for a decent used amp which is going to pretty much be a toy since I don't play live or in a band or anything and I am still a beginner.

The reason I want a better amp is because my friend gave me a crate GX 15 and he cut the ground pin off with a hacksaw to use when he lived in a place which only had 2 prong electrical outlets. I have been told that the ground pin is sort of important for an amp and its old anyway so I figure its a good excuse to upgrade and to not get shocked.

Stealthgerbil fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 9, 2016

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Stealthgerbil posted:

Anyone used a Marshall Valvestate 8080 amp or a similar model? A nearby pawn shop has one for $250 and I probably could get them to sell it for $200. I am looking for a decent used amp which is going to pretty much be a toy since I don't play live or in a band or anything and I am still a beginner.

The reason I want a better amp is because my friend gave me a crate GX 15 and he cut the ground pin off with a hacksaw to use when he lived in a place which only had 2 prong electrical outlets. I have been told that the ground pin is sort of important for an amp and its old anyway so I figure its a good excuse to upgrade and to not get shocked.

Have experience with it and the AVT series. I still use my old AVT50 for room practice. Used it a couple of times for small, 50-people gigs. Got it 11 years ago and fucker has never let me down. They take to pedals pretty well.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Stealthgerbil posted:

he cut the ground pin off with a hacksaw to use when he lived in a place which only had 2 prong electrical outlets...
You can buy a new plug for $3 at Lowes or whatever. Just need a razor knife and a screwdriver to cut off the old one and attach the new one.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

That sounds easy to do but don't ruin my excuse to buy another amp :P

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Panama's got a 20% off deal on their Reverb store and I'm hovering over the Shaman

jtxdriggers
Mar 15, 2016
I thought I'd share my beauty with you guys. '92 2-channel Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier (black face, chrome chassis), through a Marshall 1960a cab.

I just re-tubed it this week after the old JJ rectifier tubes started failing. I popped in some factory Mesa tubes (5U4G rectifier / 6L6 power / 12AX7 preamp) to get a more authentic sound after experimenting with different sets for a while.

This is an older picture so I don't have the LTD anymore, but I've been rocking my '95 Gibson LP Standard recently.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I've been GASing for a Marshall-esque sounding head to go with my Vox. Mainly worried about crunch and high gain. Unfortunately a DSL15H here runs like AU$1000. A Blackstar 5W head is AU$900. Crazy prices.

However, a Jet City JCA22H is only AU$500. I've read nothing but good things about them. Stupid idea?

Edit: Ha, I realised I've asked about this stuff before a number of times. I think I just need reasonable people to talk me down every time.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

jtxdriggers posted:

I thought I'd share my beauty with you guys. '92 2-channel Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier (black face, chrome chassis), through a Marshall 1960a cab.

I just re-tubed it this week after the old JJ rectifier tubes started failing. I popped in some factory Mesa tubes (5U4G rectifier / 6L6 power / 12AX7 preamp) to get a more authentic sound after experimenting with different sets for a while.

This is an older picture so I don't have the LTD anymore, but I've been rocking my '95 Gibson LP Standard recently.

I love this

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

That amp..... :drat:

I think if I owned something like that, the neighbors would burn down my place. How often do you have it cranked up?

jtxdriggers
Mar 15, 2016

Stealthgerbil posted:

That amp..... :drat:

I think if I owned something like that, the neighbors would burn down my place. How often do you have it cranked up?

Not often these days. I haven't been playing with anyone for a few years since I graduated and started the "real" world. Long-term is to build a home studio and get as sound-resistant as I can so I can crank it up again. My buddy used to say, "The deafening roar of these guitars is the most peace and quiet I ever get."

The Marshall cab is taking a break for my 2x12 Boogie cab with V30's, since it's easier to move around. Here's a picture of that with the PRS:

And one more with both cabs and the Les Paul:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

jtxdriggers posted:

Not often these days. I haven't been playing with anyone for a few years since I graduated and started the "real" world. Long-term is to build a home studio and get as sound-resistant as I can so I can crank it up again. My buddy used to say, "The deafening roar of these guitars is the most peace and quiet I ever get."

The Marshall cab is taking a break for my 2x12 Boogie cab with V30's, since it's easier to move around. Here's a picture of that with the PRS:

And one more with both cabs and the Les Paul:

I like the cut of your jib

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Hello to friends!

Can I run an Orange CR120 through an old 1966 Bassman 2 x 12 Cabinet? I don't know if it will cancel phases, or make fire, because impedance is wizardry to me and I am a child, but you lot all seem very smart.

Thanks!

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Well, what's the ohms?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Otis Reddit posted:

Hello to friends!

Can I run an Orange CR120 through an old 1966 Bassman 2 x 12 Cabinet? I don't know if it will cancel phases, or make fire, because impedance is wizardry to me and I am a child, but you lot all seem very smart.

Thanks!

It depends. You should really find out what the impedance of the cabinet is, because over the years, people tend to do questionable things, like replacing speakers, wiring in series, etc. If you have an ohm meter, check the DC resistance across the input jack terminals. It'll read slightly lower than the impedance. For example, if it's wired for 8 ohm, it'll likely read around 5.6 ohm with a meter.

Anyway, I haven't been around in a long long long time, but here's my latest scratch built amplifier. This is an original circuit, though it does borrow quite a bit from tweed era Fender's. The wooden headshell and matching 1x12 cab are being produced by a woodworker friend, and should be finished soon.

This is a push pull two by 6V6S amp with a paraphase inverter, 5Y3 tube rectifier, and a FMV style tone stack.

The preamplifier tubes are both 12AT7s. I think it came out pretty nice.

Green lamp, input jack, bright switch, volume, treble, mid, bass, and a standby / power. I like minimal.

jtxdriggers
Mar 15, 2016

jwh posted:

Anyway, I haven't been around in a long long long time, but here's my latest scratch built amplifier. This is an original circuit, though it does borrow quite a bit from tweed era Fender's. The wooden headshell and matching 1x12 cab are being produced by a woodworker friend, and should be finished soon.

This is a push pull two by 6V6S amp with a paraphase inverter, 5Y3 tube rectifier, and a FMV style tone stack.

The preamplifier tubes are both 12AT7s. I think it came out pretty nice.

Green lamp, input jack, bright switch, volume, treble, mid, bass, and a standby / power. I like minimal.

This is amazing, can't wait to see the finished product. Any clips of the sound? I have a vague idea based on the description but I'd love to actually hear it. 5Y3 rectifier would have quite a bit of sag to it.

I'd love to get into homemade circuits but I only know enough about amplifier electronics to maintain the ones I own. Never too late to learn, I suppose.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

peter gabriel posted:

I like the cut of your jib

not an empty quote

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

jtxdriggers posted:

This is amazing, can't wait to see the finished product. Any clips of the sound? I have a vague idea based on the description but I'd love to actually hear it. 5Y3 rectifier would have quite a bit of sag to it.

I'd love to get into homemade circuits but I only know enough about amplifier electronics to maintain the ones I own. Never too late to learn, I suppose.

I had a video, but it looks like I deleted it off my phone. I'll make another one once the headshell and cab come in. I'm loading it with a fairly low end Jensen C12R, which should be a good complement.

5Y3 contributes a certain sound, yes, though most of the tone comes from driving the phase inverter very hard into saturation and cutoff. And because it's an unbalanced phase inverter, it's a little rough around the edges, tonally. It's not a clean amp at all, the dirt shows up (and most of the volume, too) at around 2-3 on the volume control. After that, it's just dirtier.

If you want to get into building amplifiers, I'd recommend Merlin Blencowe's "Designing Guitar and Bass Preamplifiers," and Robert Megantz' "Design and Construction of Tube Amplifiers". I have a ton of books, and those are the two that I routinely come back to.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

jwh posted:

I had a video, but it looks like I deleted it off my phone. I'll make another one once the headshell and cab come in. I'm loading it with a fairly low end Jensen C12R, which should be a good complement.

5Y3 contributes a certain sound, yes, though most of the tone comes from driving the phase inverter very hard into saturation and cutoff. And because it's an unbalanced phase inverter, it's a little rough around the edges, tonally. It's not a clean amp at all, the dirt shows up (and most of the volume, too) at around 2-3 on the volume control. After that, it's just dirtier.

If you want to get into building amplifiers, I'd recommend Merlin Blencowe's "Designing Guitar and Bass Preamplifiers," and Robert Megantz' "Design and Construction of Tube Amplifiers". I have a ton of books, and those are the two that I routinely come back to.

Seconding Megantz. It does assume you know a decent amount about electronics such as what band filters, voltage dividers, etc are but those are relatively simple things.

I'm in the process of redoing a 5F1 Champ clone I built to have a nice treble/mid/bass tone stack available with a toggle so I can still have the one-knob operation if I feel like it. I don't think I will, but maybe :v: My Greenlee punch set should get here today and a nice clean unpunched chassis like I should have used last time (plus the electronics for the tones tack) some time next week. At that point I'll tear everything back out of the old combo chassis, replace the speaker with also a fairly low end Jensen (C10Q in this case) that I anticipate should fairly nicely but is guaranteed an improvement over the Chinese made one in there now, and rebuild it with better routing and a chassis that doesn't pretty much force me to put the transformers and tubes in a less than optimal place. I'll probably figure out a headshell after that too, maybe ask my friend who likes woodworking stuff if he wants to join me in my madness.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I've been trying to track down a Greenlee IEC power socket punch for almost forever, and, worse still, when I do seem to find one, they're several hundred(?) dollars.

All of my chassis work is normally done on a drill press with a step bit, though, in some cases, I end up having to use fairly weird and esoteric bits- such as an 11/16ths bit for the pilot lamp assembly.

I think the biggest problem with adding a more comprehensive tone stack to a champ is figuring out where to mount the pots! Good luck.

jtxdriggers
Mar 15, 2016

jwh posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. I only have a vague understanding of electronics as a whole but I'm sure I can learn it if I put the time into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

jwh posted:

I've been trying to track down a Greenlee IEC power socket punch for almost forever, and, worse still, when I do seem to find one, they're several hundred(?) dollars.

All of my chassis work is normally done on a drill press with a step bit, though, in some cases, I end up having to use fairly weird and esoteric bits- such as an 11/16ths bit for the pilot lamp assembly.

I think the biggest problem with adding a more comprehensive tone stack to a champ is figuring out where to mount the pots! Good luck.

Hence the fresh new chassis with space for 'em ;)