Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Nycticeius posted:

Oh, that's the one I haven't read yet - it hasn't come out in English yet, has it?
I think so, the 2 books from the main saga hasn't been translated yet either though.

cmykjester posted:

Thanks for telling me there's another Witcher book I didn't know about. I was kind of bummed out that Blood and Wine was gonna be the last Witcher thing. Guess that feeling gets held off for awhile.
It's a standalone novel but at the same time its epilogue is mindblowing in a way that I would love to see this thread discuss. It's too big to spoil though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Palpek posted:

I think so, the 2 books from the main saga hasn't been translated yet either though.

It's a standalone novel but at the same time its epilogue is mindblowing in a way that I would love to see this thread discuss. It's too big to spoil though.

Is it the kind of thing you think is likely to be a main or important plot in any new Witcher games? I'm really curious now - could you link to something about it that's in english?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Is it the kind of thing you think is likely to be a main or important plot in any new Witcher games? I'm really curious now - could you link to something about it that's in english?
Well, if you google 'Season of Storms epilogue' there is some talk about it on various forums.

The gist of it is (this doesn't spoil the plot of the novel itself but is nontheless a reveal on Geralt's fate in most likely the last witcher book we'll ever get: a white-haired witcher saves a girl (who's travelling to become a sorceress apprentice) from a monster. When she's safe she can't help herself and asks if he's Geralt of Rivia and how is it possible as according to legends Geralt died 105 years earlier. He's surprised, denies that he's Geralt and doesn't answer her questions about the fate of Yennefer and Ciri.

At the same time: he doesn't know what year it is and in the end he uses a sleep-inducing sign on the girl so that she forgets that they met. This means that: it's totally a time-traveling Geralt (Ciri probably sent him into the future when she was saving his life) and at the same time he doesn't even know he's time-traveling. You can see how many possibilities this opens.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
I'm nearing the end of the game (I think) and I got to the bit where I'm chatting with Ciri about what she's been up to the whole while. I don't know that it's much of a spoiler, but When she mentions that she spent time in a world where everyone had metal in their heads and there had floating wagons and no horses, seems like a pretty obvious nod to Cyberpunk 2077, the game that CD Projekt Red has had in the oven for a while. Can't wait to pore through it to find Ciri wandering through some background scene.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I picked up this game out of curiousity to test out my new rig and I’m actually pleasantly surprised. I have a huge tolerance for janky RPGs but I still didn’t really rate the first two – sort of thing I enjoyed while playing and didn’t think much of in retrospect, never did get around to going back through 2 on the Iorveth route – and didn’t expect to click with 3 much given that I’m also kind of tired of every game ever being open world now. The writing is really improved and the side quests are impressively varied and interesting.

Even if it does stutter a bit in towns on my GTX 970, with 16GB RAM and installed on an SSD, for god knows what reason. Anyone else have a similar experience? I have my settings on max but lowering them doesn’t really make a difference :shrug:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Palpek posted:

Notice that even in the aformentioned bed throwing scene Yen does this only in front of the witchers and aims her anger towards Geralt but when Triss comes to Kaer Morhen Yen doesn't mention anything to her and tries her best to keep up the appearances. She doesn't want to risk destroying that friendship, it's too valuable.
Yen is the one who invites Triss to Kaer Morhen, even.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

What's up with the blacksmith at the main castle in Skellige? Sometimes he can be interacted with, and sometimes he can't. It's annoying because he is the easiest to get to blacksmith i've found.

Hey, I just wanted to add that I had some village blacksmith do this to me sometimes. I had to walk out of his immediate vicinity, face away from him (wouldn't work otherwise), and meditate (don't remember how long). I could then interact with him. It was frustrating because I'd have to do this almost every time I fast-traveled to town.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, there's apparently some sort of loading glitch where sometimes shopkeepers won't appear unless you go far enough away from them to "respawn" where they're supposed to be. But even with that, sometimes that damned guy in an Craite's castle just plain won't appear no matter what. Maybe he only works on Tuesdays or something.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, there's apparently some sort of loading glitch where sometimes shopkeepers won't appear unless you go far enough away from them to "respawn" where they're supposed to be. But even with that, sometimes that damned guy in an Craite's castle just plain won't appear no matter what. Maybe he only works on Tuesdays or something.
Meditating for an hour usually fixed it for me. Usually.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Ravenfood posted:

Yen is the one who invites Triss to Kaer Morhen, even.

yen also is not going to refuse any assistance if it means helping Ciri. A big part of yen in this game is that she is a mother quite literally tearing the world apart to find and protect her daughter.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I picked up this game out of curiousity to test out my new rig and I’m actually pleasantly surprised. I have a huge tolerance for janky RPGs but I still didn’t really rate the first two – sort of thing I enjoyed while playing and didn’t think much of in retrospect, never did get around to going back through 2 on the Iorveth route – and didn’t expect to click with 3 much given that I’m also kind of tired of every game ever being open world now. The writing is really improved and the side quests are impressively varied and interesting.

Even if it does stutter a bit in towns on my GTX 970, with 16GB RAM and installed on an SSD, for god knows what reason. Anyone else have a similar experience? I have my settings on max but lowering them doesn’t really make a difference :shrug:

I'm playing on a PC I built in 2013 with an AMD 7770 (or so I think it's been so long since I got it) and I have everything set to high except detail and textures which are at ultra. It looks as good as any screenshot I've ever seen and plays perfectly smoothly. Nvidia hairworks is probably what's causing the stuttering.

Also gonna plug Appearance Menu Mod while I'm here.

It's pretty sweet. Wearing Viper gear for stats while using Ursine armour models for looks. Swords clip through the cloak but whaddya gonna do?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/645315/Witcher-3-Blood-And-Wine-Release-Date-Weapons-Map-Size-Secret-Ending-Details-Leaked

You can change armor colors!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

lmao, they better hope that the leak is real

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I just started this, never played any of the series before. It's pretty good. Playing on hard because why not, and I'm in Velen now. Level...5ish I think?

It's really easy to wander into enemies way the gently caress too tough for me. I kinda like that, reminds me of old school RPGs like Baldurs Gate. I recently ran into some random camp in Velen that had a couple of level 16 Nilfgard deserters and the fight did not go well for me.

It's hard to figure out where to spend my level up points because I'm getting abilities far faster than slots I can put them in. Given that, I've focused more on leveling up the ones I've already chosen. Dunno if that's the idea, or if the game expects you to swap abilities in and out of those slots (can you even do that? or is an ability once put into a slot permanent?)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I'd just put points into Quen and Fast Attack for now, if I were you.

Dongattack posted:

lmao, they better hope that the leak is real

(the person who wrote the original post already admitted he pulled it out of his rear end it was 335% legit)

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Megazver posted:

I'd just put points into Quen and Fast Attack for now, if I were you.

That's what I've been going for. Think I'm at 4/5 in fast attack and 2/3 in Quen.

I have found Igni to be pretty useful when surrounded as well though I don;'t think I've spent points in it yet.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

:eng99:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Ginette Reno posted:

Dunno if that's the idea, or if the game expects you to swap abilities in and out of those slots (can you even do that? or is an ability once put into a slot permanent?)
It's not permanent and later in the game you'll be able to buy respec potions for 1000 gold a pop so you can experiment with skill points. Also what does make a big difference in signs is sign intensity that you can cumulate using both skill points and gear and it makes a huge difference. Every sign also has an alternate mode unlockable in later levels which dramatically change how you use them. However the most powerful tree is the innocent looking alchemy one which lets you take tons of potions at the same time, add random effects to them and basically take Geralt on a non-stop PCP trip.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Palpek posted:

It's not permanent and later in the game you'll be able to buy respec potions for 1000 gold a pop so you can experiment with skill points. Also what does make a big difference in signs is sign intensity that you can cumulate using both skill points and gear and it makes a huge difference. Every sign also has an alternate mode unlockable in later levels which dramatically change how you use them. However the most powerful tree is the innocent looking alchemy one which lets you take tons of potions at the same time, add random effects to them and basically take Geralt on a non-stop PCP trip.

So what Alchemy skills do you suggest I should take? I've got two points in that tree that increases the toxicity threshold for each formula I learn, and one point in Trial of the Grasses.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

twistedmentat posted:

What's up with the blacksmith at the main castle in Skellige? Sometimes he can be interacted with, and sometimes he can't. It's annoying because he is the easiest to get to blacksmith i've found.

Dalai Trauma posted:

I have this exact problem. I have a quest I need to talk to him about and can't finish it, so I've just started ignoring his rear end.

This happens with tons of blacksmiths actually. for no reason I can think of. AFAIK it also happens with the blacksmith in the fish market in Novigrad and one of the smiths in Velen.

The way to fix this (At least for me, YMMV) was to meditate for an hour within sight of them. It normally let me talk to them after meditating.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

McKilligan posted:

I've also found some stupid gaudy golden heavy armour boots, but even before I slapped in some ign glyphs they give an absurd +22% to igni so they're never coming off. They are my greatest shame.

Haha I had these too, along with green pants and the pot-belly blue and white striped quilted armor. I enjoyed the early game because of how difficult it was and scraping together equipment and resources from what's available, but my Geralt looked like a drat clown until level 15 or so.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Terrible Horse posted:

Haha I had these too, along with green pants and the pot-belly blue and white striped quilted armor. I enjoyed the early game because of how difficult it was and scraping together equipment and resources from what's available, but my Geralt looked like a drat clown until level 15 or so.

Yeah I have some kind of ridiculous white doublet looking thing on right now and it's hilarious.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm getting serious levelling anxiety. At the moment I'm level uhh five and got all the free points in White Orchard. I bought Sun and Stars, which I kind of regret because I feel like it takes up a valuable slot I could replace with food. I took two or three points in fast attack because that isn't going to be wasted is it. One point into Axii because I figure I'll use it when I'm in town and need to persuade a lot of people? Is that how that works? One point in Aard, which I think was a mistake because I loved Aard in TW1/2 but it seems a bit poo poo in this one. One or two in Igni because Igni seems to own.

I really don't like the weird system where you can only equip a few skills at once. It doesn't make sense and really limits build creativity. Especially with all the General skills, which all seem like decent quality of life stuff, but when I have three slots? Am I really supposed to prioritise some slightly better health regen over actual attack skills? Oh well.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Dalai Trauma posted:

I have this exact problem. I have a quest I need to talk to him about and can't finish it, so I've just started ignoring his rear end.

For what it's worth he started this glitch to me AFTER I finished that quest. I thought he was just forever angry with me.

Have you tried the bomb glitch? I had to do that with someone at one point in the game to get my damned interaction to work.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm getting serious levelling anxiety. At the moment I'm level uhh five and got all the free points in White Orchard. I bought Sun and Stars, which I kind of regret because I feel like it takes up a valuable slot I could replace with food. I took two or three points in fast attack because that isn't going to be wasted is it. One point into Axii because I figure I'll use it when I'm in town and need to persuade a lot of people? Is that how that works? One point in Aard, which I think was a mistake because I loved Aard in TW1/2 but it seems a bit poo poo in this one. One or two in Igni because Igni seems to own.

I really don't like the weird system where you can only equip a few skills at once. It doesn't make sense and really limits build creativity. Especially with all the General skills, which all seem like decent quality of life stuff, but when I have three slots? Am I really supposed to prioritise some slightly better health regen over actual attack skills? Oh well.

All the places of power you can find is a good thing and you'll be happy you did it.

The general (yellow) skills stuff all seem nice when you first start out but at all useless in the long run compared to other things.

I also like the limited system because believe me you'll be a god as it is soon enough.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The only two generic talents I kept were the medium armor bonus one and the one that let you cast signs using adrenaline points. That last one was especially useful.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Safety Factor posted:

The only two generic talents I kept were the medium armor bonus one and the one that let you cast signs using adrenaline points. That last one was especially useful.

I think the only one I bought was the HP boost one before I realized how much of a waste they were for muh swords.

I think early on I was mind trick an swords or something.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I purchased the regeneration one because I figured it might be handy since I'm on hard and can't med my health back. With the glut of food I get + potions recharging after rest though I'm not sure I needed it. It's semi useful while riding around to regen and save a little on food etc but it's probably not worth it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm getting serious levelling anxiety.
Some herbalists and other shops later in the game sell respec potions for 1000g, which is nothing by then. Just put points in whatever looks good right now and change it later if you feel like it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Holy poo poo, there's a method of duping gold in the newest version that involves buying everything from a blacksmith and then rolling a beehive across the land using Aard close to his position. Then you wait until the bees kill the blacksmith and the moment he dies you meditate for an hour - a new blacksmith will be spawned in his position while his corpse still lies on the ground. You repeat the process how many times you wish and at the end you loot the mountain of blacksmith corpses for all his items and your own gold back (now multiplied). Just amazing.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Palpek posted:

Holy poo poo, there's a method of duping gold in the newest version that involves buying everything from a blacksmith and then rolling a beehive across the land using Aard close to his position. Then you wait until the bees kill the blacksmith and the moment he dies you meditate for an hour - a new blacksmith will be spawned in his position while his corpse still lies on the ground. You repeat the process how many times you wish and at the end you loot the mountain of blacksmith corpses for all his items and your own gold back (now multiplied). Just amazing.

lmao why not just use a hex-editor or something

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I assume because the console versions exist.

The real question is what you'd even need to cheat gold for.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Sometimes I actually forget there are people that willingly buy console games lol nevermind

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sindai posted:

I assume because the console versions exist.

The real question is what you'd even need to cheat gold for.

I became broke after making all four master crafted sets and buying everything from the Runesmith....

I'm on the PC version so I just gave myself more orens after all that but I'd be hosed on the console. That was my file where I looted all of the smugglers caches in skellige too.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I just heard the best bit of background chatter I think I've ever heard in a game.

Merchant: She's the sprightliest heffer you've ever seen.
Man: Sprightly? Her udders are draggin' on the ground.
Merchant: Sure that's not your wife you're thinking of?
Wife: EXCUSE ME?!
Man: I demand satisfaction this instant!
Merchant: Yeah that's what your wife says.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

lmao I updated to Windows 10 and now my game runs like a dream. what the gently caress

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Thanks for the sword buddy...ah its 20dps lower than my current one, can you dismantle it? The 2 dark iron bars will be more useful.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Which quest do I get the siren horn on? I've done both king's gambit and the hallowed horn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
It's not a quest reward. It is found on Undvik just outside the troll cave, iirc.