Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

greatn posted:

He's the Reserved Flash

:bravo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Krad posted:

I want them to just tell us who Zoom is already so he can unmask and maybe he'll

stop

talking

so

slow.

Zoom's voice is great, because I can pretend he's Nightstalker with a haste rune.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
New theory on Zoom and Mask Guy:

Mask Guy is Jay Garrick, and when he tried to juice himself to get faster it somehow 'fractured' him, creating both the 'Jay Garrick' we know as well as Zoom.

'Jay Garrick' is the super-ego, the hero that Garrick wants to be. But he's not whole, and this is true true reason for his 'speed cancer'. For whatever reason, he doesn't remember/know that he's a splinter entity, he just remembers trying to juice and losing his speed (which he attributes to Zoom).

Zoom is the id, and is obsessed with stealing speed because without it he will wither away like 'our' Garrick is.

Mask Guy is the 'original' Jay Garrick (equivalent to the ego in this theory) and Zoom is keeping him alive either because in some way he recognizes that they're the same person and he needs him in some fashion, or perhaps he thought to 'hostile takeover' the super-ego Garrick, absorb his Speed Force, then merge back with the 'real' Garrick only with Zoom/the id in control now.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005

computer parts posted:

Zoom's voice is great, because I can pretend he's Nightstalker with a haste rune.
I know Tony Todd's voice is Tony Todd's voice, but it is like he uses the same inflection/tone/everything.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They have to intentionally be making Barry an idiot who can't remember how to use his powers at this point.

The plot gained absolutely nothing by having Barry try phasing only after he saw Zoom do it. If he simply tried it himself earlier and couldn't do it, everything can unfold exactly the same except now he's not a total moron. He can see Zoom do it, have the conversation with Jesse about frequencies for why Zoom's worked and his didn't, and still get psyched up by Other Barry.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

You basically have to with Flash, he's like the most powerful being in the universe. If he was smart there wouldn't be any conflict.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
So, if inspiration speeches are necessary for speed increases, why hasn't Zoom figured this out?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

ApeHawk posted:

So, if inspiration speeches are necessary for speed increases, why hasn't Zoom figured this out?

He fattens up his dinner by marinating it in fear.

It's like boot camp instructors, only with added fingerbanging.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
That tap code was ridiculous.

Here's an immediately usable system.

"Are you trying to communicate?"

*nods*

ABCDEFGHIJ-

*gesticulates*

A-

*gesticulates*

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXY-

*gesticulates*

Jay Garrick?

*gesticulates wildly*

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

VagueRant posted:

What confuses me is that mask guy isn't credited? Is that legal? Apparently Tony Todd as the voice of Zoom is also going uncredited. (And I guess we have to assume the guy in the suit is just a stunt guy?)

Teddy Sears is the first guest star on the list :colbert:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

WarLocke posted:

New theory on Zoom and Mask Guy:

Mask Guy is Jay Garrick, and when he tried to juice himself to get faster it somehow 'fractured' him, creating both the 'Jay Garrick' we know as well as Zoom.

'Jay Garrick' is the super-ego, the hero that Garrick wants to be. But he's not whole, and this is true true reason for his 'speed cancer'. For whatever reason, he doesn't remember/know that he's a splinter entity, he just remembers trying to juice and losing his speed (which he attributes to Zoom).

Zoom is the id, and is obsessed with stealing speed because without it he will wither away like 'our' Garrick is.

Mask Guy is the 'original' Jay Garrick (equivalent to the ego in this theory) and Zoom is keeping him alive either because in some way he recognizes that they're the same person and he needs him in some fashion, or perhaps he thought to 'hostile takeover' the super-ego Garrick, absorb his Speed Force, then merge back with the 'real' Garrick only with Zoom/the id in control now.

Are you sure this isn't Kingdom Hearts 3?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Invalid Validation posted:

You basically have to with Flash, he's like the most powerful being in the universe. If he was smart there wouldn't be any conflict.

I have been reading Flash most of my life and totally disagree with that concept. Smart writers can make the Flash halfway intelligent while still providing him a challenge. We just need better writing.

In this instance you could keep everything the exact same with a simple line tweak. Instead of Barry forgetting that he can vibrate through solid matter while he is trapped in a cage, he could have said something like "I need to figure out how Zoom was able to vibrate through this glass, I couldn't when I tried earlier". Or like someone said, this would have been a good opportunity for Cisco to use his new powers to vibrate the glass to a different frequency.

The problem is a lot of the writing is intentionally flubbed to stall for time so you get dumb crap like the Doctor Light fight: "I know, I'll just GO FAST to win this fight!".

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Aphrodite posted:

They just did with Caitlin.

After seeing her in that corset, I'm fine with a Killer Frost reveal. :heysexy:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Krad posted:

Are you sure this isn't Kingdom Hearts 3?

gently caress if I know, I never played any of those.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Accretionist posted:

That tap code was ridiculous.

Here's an immediately usable system.

"Are you trying to communicate?"

*nods*

ABCDEFGHIJ-

*gesticulates*

A-

*gesticulates*

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXY-

*gesticulates*

Jay Garrick?

*gesticulates wildly*

I really hope there is some other reason they had him use some obscure POW tapping code instead of nodding or just using Morse. Maybe they don't have Morse code on Earth-2?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

They have to intentionally be making Barry an idiot who can't remember how to use his powers at this point.

The plot gained absolutely nothing by having Barry try phasing only after he saw Zoom do it. If he simply tried it himself earlier and couldn't do it, everything can unfold exactly the same except now he's not a total moron. He can see Zoom do it, have the conversation with Jesse about frequencies for why Zoom's worked and his didn't, and still get psyched up by Other Barry.

I was really hoping he was just assuming it was booby trapped in case he tried to phase through it but then that turned out to not be the case or explanation.

Rurea posted:

I really hope there is some other reason they had him use some obscure POW tapping code instead of nodding or just using Morse. Maybe they don't have Morse code on Earth-2?

I still think it was fine because how the gently caress were they supposed to know it was only three letters he wanted to say? It'd work if he wanted to have a full conversation.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think it's weirder that everyone on TV knows morse code all the time.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Maskman and Jesse were in that room for 4 months, too. All he did was try the same code over and over again? Like, after 2 minutes of it not working the first time, he didn't even try charades or spelling the letters with his fingers or something?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rurea posted:

They have it, it just vibrates at a different frequency

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

After seeing her in that corset, I'm fine with a Killer Frost reveal. :heysexy:

People who don't like corsets confuse me.

Ladies in corsets tend to be smokin.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

I have been reading Flash most of my life and totally disagree with that concept. Smart writers can make the Flash halfway intelligent while still providing him a challenge. We just need better writing.

In this instance you could keep everything the exact same with a simple line tweak. Instead of Barry forgetting that he can vibrate through solid matter while he is trapped in a cage, he could have said something like "I need to figure out how Zoom was able to vibrate through this glass, I couldn't when I tried earlier". Or like someone said, this would have been a good opportunity for Cisco to use his new powers to vibrate the glass to a different frequency.

The problem is a lot of the writing is intentionally flubbed to stall for time so you get dumb crap like the Doctor Light fight: "I know, I'll just GO FAST to win this fight!".

I don't even read comics and I have a hard time believing The Flash is the strongest character of all time.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

I don't even read comics and I have a hard time believing The Flash is the strongest character of all time.

It's more that if you stop and think about the scope of his powers if he actually unleashed, it becomes hard to come up with a credible threat he can't instantly deal with.

It's sort of similar to the problem Superman has, in that he's pretty much invincible, so that only way to really 'challenge' him is to do stories where someone else is in danger that he can't easily protect, or challenge his beliefs, etc etc.

I know people hate bringing up the Motherfucking Flash monologue, but it's not wrong about the guy being ridiculous.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Barry's superspeed would be much, much more interesting if he had to worry about momentum.

He wouldn't be able to change direction easily if going too fast, which would give him an inherent weakness as well as a potential area of improvement (both with technology, e.g. boots with hyper-traction, and with agility). And the answer to everything would stop being "go faster!" because it would carry the possibility of loving himself over.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
I don't know man, it's hard to call a character OP when he gets beat by bees. Bees.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

enraged_camel posted:

Barry's superspeed would be much, much more interesting if he had to worry about momentum.

He wouldn't be able to change direction easily if going too fast, which would give him an inherent weakness as well as a potential area of improvement (both with technology, e.g. boots with hyper-traction, and with agility). And the answer to everything would stop being "go faster!" because it would carry the possibility of loving himself over.

This would also make the comic Reverse Flash (the time-manipulation one, a la Turtle) a lot more differentiated/dangerous in comparison.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WarLocke posted:

It's more that if you stop and think about the scope of his powers if he actually unleashed, it becomes hard to come up with a credible threat he can't instantly deal with.

It's sort of similar to the problem Superman has, in that he's pretty much invincible, so that only way to really 'challenge' him is to do stories where someone else is in danger that he can't easily protect, or challenge his beliefs, etc etc.

I know people hate bringing up the Motherfucking Flash monologue, but it's not wrong about the guy being ridiculous.

They just give Superman strong aliens who can fight on his level.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Making Superman into Goku is one option, I suppose.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

And along that note, I'm sure they can come up with threats that aren't simply 'faster man than red fast man.'

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

And along that note, I'm sure they can come up with threats that aren't simply 'faster man than red fast man.'

Flash is similar. He has the speedsters instead of strong aliens, and then guys with gear to specifically counter him like Superman's kryptonite using enemies.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They should definitely make him face more opponents that are tricky and use illusions that he has to outsmart, like Trickster or Mirror Master or Abra Kadabra.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

greatn posted:

They should definitely make him face more opponents that are tricky and use illusions that he has to outsmart, like Trickster or Mirror Master or Abra Kadabra.

He can't even remember his own powerset half of the time. He'd be absolutely flabbergasted by an actual clever trap.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
And another thing, Flash should carry around those meta neutralizing collars.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Would be better than just killing them all the time

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I honestly still can't get over that line. "Heh, Zoom just showed me how to get out of here :smug:."

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
And another thing, he should always have a freeze gun on him since Cisco can just make them. Cisco and Caitlin too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

enraged_camel posted:

That's sort of how Man of Steel does the Kryptonians' super speed. They have to stop to reorient themselves.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

computer parts posted:

That's sort of how Man of Steel does the Kryptonians' super speed. They have to stop to reorient themselves.

Supergirl seems to have cribbed this as well, and it's a really cool super-speed implementation.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

computer parts posted:

Wow, the action looks pretty good.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It'd look even better....... IN COLOR!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

WarLocke posted:

Dr. Manhattan :colbert:

(Yes, yes. Time travel to murder him before the accident. Or just crushing him emotionally with nihilism, I guess.)

I hope Zoom is just Jay Garrick, but he has an eye patch. Nobody comments on it.

• Locked thread