Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

KetTarma posted:

I'm just going to leave this thought here:

The single greatest contributing factor to your initial job prospects are the quality and quantity of internships that you do.

Every other consideration is secondary to that.

As someone who interviews and hires fresh graduates I agree with this 100%.

Well, post grads with specific research can be far more important but for bs & most ms usually internship record outweighs almost everything else.

E: VVV not really. I was 35 after military and college and didn't have any issues. A couple of solid internships and military background (especially if you can hold or have held a clearance) and any of the defense firms will pick you up no problem.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Do you think my age is going to weigh against me when looking for employment in a technical field such as ECE that I don't really have employment experience in? I will be 34 when I begin school and expect I will be 36/37 upon graduation.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Gray Matter posted:

Do you think my age is going to weigh against me when looking for employment in a technical field such as ECE that I don't really have employment experience in? I will be 34 when I begin school and expect I will be 36/37 upon graduation.

I know a lady that went back and finished school in her mid 30's and in the few years after she has been extremely successful in finding jobs while moving a couple times with her husband for his work.

rendevouspoo
Jan 23, 2016

Gray Matter posted:

If anything, it will help imo. A lot of companies look for non baby faces.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

M7lq12nWpFYcwEO3H0S8
bjc3lDYbp6s80nKLPP5S
Q69yGmgK1idKDO1sf6ES
csk4ZuBDgfN9WqGGDueU
KrsXG8cD7R1y21XS44AA
elEPVN0maWc5T0o0W0Bi
hazfHXVlyBmTNRLdU0Mg
xHa95fZatDdk5HkjA5oX
0P0tJ1GwDEa72mI7S2mr
QWKcRcNuoQgJCUn8CYEc

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 27, 2023

RogueLemming
Sep 11, 2006

Spinning or Deformed?

Gray Matter posted:

As said before, it should be your priority in school to get experience (coop, intern, home projects, school competition teams, etc). If you graduate with no experience--at any age--it's going to be an uphill battle.

For just the age factor, I don't think it should be a problem. I don't even think it's that far out of the norm anymore. I graduated around 30, and I knew quite a few people in my classes that were 30+. If your technical skills are solid, people won't care about your age and you can use your military/life experience as a differentiator.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Gray Matter posted:

single-mode fiber posted:

Go to the one with the better football program for enhanced career networking opportunities (no really)

Even if I don't watch, attend games, or otherwise care about football in any capacity?

Yes. Good sports = name recognition and lots of proud alumni. That means that recruiters are also eager to get there as well.

Gray Matter posted:

Not at all. It might even be a bonus for a lot of employers. A lot of ECE jobs are on the more industrial/manufacturing side of things, which is very, very different than what you might hear about software companies.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Gray Matter posted:

I'm mainly leaning towards U of A cause I can live rent-free with family for a couple years in Tucson area.

I want to revisit this for a moment now that I am in my office and not phone posting.

BLS statistics on Computer Hardware Engineers (I.e. EE Dept ECE grads):

Tuscon Area Total: 110
Phoenix/Glendale Area Total: 1610

If you do decide to school in Tucson plan on doing your internships in Phoenix (Unless you're willing to go further afield and be away from your family for 3 months). IF you decide to go EE dept ECE, that is.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 16, 2016

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

KetTarma posted:

I'm just going to leave this thought here:

The single greatest contributing factor to your initial job prospects are the quality and quantity of internships that you do.

Every other consideration is secondary to that.

If, say, your dad is ol' friends with an executive director at a firm, that will get you a better spot than your internships will. Otherwise you're right.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
I need to start accruing PDHs soon. Anyone have any recommendations for decent online course providers for civil/structural engineering?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The Chairman posted:

I need to start accruing PDHs soon. Anyone have any recommendations for decent online course providers for civil/structural engineering?

Do you have an ASCE membership? 5 PDHs a year come with it and they are all online.

Or just get work to pay to send you to conferences! That is what I do.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

rockamiclikeavandal posted:

Thanks for all the info. Seems pretty straightforward, like a lot b of excel engineering. Does that sound right? Do you guys enjoy the job at all or do the people you know seem to enjoy it?

shame on an IGA posted:

How's a guy go about getting into something like this? Every time I look up at the ceiling in the factory I work in I want to cry and then murder someone, especially the time one of the 120 breakers feeding my work station blew and my efforts to trace the conduit back to the panel went around a 300' loop with no junctions.

RE: MEP engineering
It is high volume, low investment engineering at the entry level. As the junior engineer, you will probably have to get sucked into local code compliance and calling building inspectors. Things like strip mall renovations and such, veering off into mixed use and apartment design. If you want to get in, learn Revit. Guaranteed callbacks if you aren't completely incompetent.
Honestly I found it mind-numbing. But, assuming you master the basics there are interesting twists you can take to achieve LEED and other Energy compliance statuses.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Noctone posted:

Or just dual-major EE and CE. That's what I did and it was only something like 15-20 extra credit hours since a lot of my courses counted for both majors.

This is what I did -- it was easy and I still finished in four years. Just had electives for one count as electives for the other, stupid simple. I'm doing my MS in EE now, didn't see the point of doing it in CE (and I think those are rarer anyways) since some of my coursework covers VLSI implementation of digital logic anyways.

Are MS in MechE worth anything / even a thing? I think I'll pick up a second masters in 5-10 years since I can probably get it paid for and I like grinding for stats. Same question for CS, or AeroE. I don't know if I'll have gone to the dark side and wanted a MBA by then.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Are the median entry level salaries you pull up on Google really bullshit, or was that just said to pad the lowball offer I got?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

The Royal Scrub posted:

Are the median entry level salaries you pull up on Google really bullshit, or was that just said to pad the lowball offer I got?

What was the Salary, Discipline and Area? (Probably is BS)

movax posted:

Are MS in MechE worth anything / even a thing?

They are very common in Aerospace/Defense/Tech in my observation and leads to promotions in the former two.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

What was the Salary, Discipline and Area? (Probably is BS)

Yeah BS, ME in Florida. I initially said 63-65, although from now on I think I will try to avoid saying any number first. They came back and said 50 with good benefits. Should I take that as a counteroffer?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The Royal Scrub posted:

Yeah BS, ME in Florida. I initially said 63-65, although from now on I think I will try to avoid saying any number first. They came back and said 50 with good benefits. Should I take that as a counteroffer?

First job out of school? in a state with no income tax (worth 2-3K). ME doesn't usually pay all that well right out of school. If the benefits are actually good it seems like a pretty solid offer.

The Average number gets pushed higher by expensive places. You are not going to see many MEs start under $45K but if you are in NYC of SF or LA, etc you are probably getting paid in the 60's.

I would say possibly fair but depends on the benefits.

E:I would probably review the benefits and still counter at 55k.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 20, 2016

Agile Sumo
Sep 17, 2004

It could take teams quite a bit of time to master.

The Royal Scrub posted:

Shouldn't hurt to counter. That sounds about right to me for a lower cost of living state like Florida for a starting ME. Your range is around what a large Aerospace employer starts their union MEs at around where I live.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Big G might counter your counter-offer with a spiel about the monetary value of their benefits. They did this to my friend. He did not try to go for more after that, so I can't speak to how they would react to further negotiation. Don't be surprised if they give you the runaround; Google has had 20 or so years of tech hiring to refine their acquisition technique.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Not a Children posted:

Big G might counter your counter-offer with a spiel about the monetary value of their benefits. They did this to my friend. He did not try to go for more after that, so I can't speak to how they would react to further negotiation. Don't be surprised if they give you the runaround; Google has had 20 or so years of tech hiring to refine their acquisition technique.

I meant that I'm researching salaries using Google. This is still a pretty big company though, and I kind of feel like they intentionally let me sweat it out for four days before coming back with their number.

Anyways, I'll counter because I agree that it shouldn't hurt! It's still two months until graduation so I can always keep looking. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 10, 2023

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Starting salaries have been stagnant in almost every industry.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Thoguh posted:

Or is the increase all eaten up by increased cost of benefits?

There's definitely a lot of this. Granted we're a small firm (<20 employees) so not much leverage but just health care premiums for example have gone up an average of 25% a year for the past decade (sometimes years it's like 70% up, sometimes it's not much) while coverage has gone down. I think on the whole none of us notice it since we're advancing our careers and see our compensation go up, but the backoffice numbers are fascinating. We've been able to keep even entry level compensation up but if you're looking for higher-than-COL raises every year, well there's where a large part of it is going.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I started out at 57k in a ME government job, in Indiana. 50k for private industry sounds on the low side. What kind of work is it?

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

The Chairman posted:

salaries have been stagnant in almost every industry.

Corrected

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Party Alarm posted:

I started out at 57k in a ME government job, in Indiana. 50k for private industry sounds on the low side. What kind of work is it?

It's a design job at a machine builder focusing on food packaging. I agree that it sounds low, and didn't think 63-65 was outrageous for me dropping a number first. Hopefully they're willing to meet in the middle, or at least give me some "time to think" while I send 100 applications out elsewhere.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Hed posted:

There's definitely a lot of this. Granted we're a small firm (<20 employees) so not much leverage but just health care premiums for example have gone up an average of 25% a year for the past decade (sometimes years it's like 70% up, sometimes it's not much) while coverage has gone down. I think on the whole none of us notice it since we're advancing our careers and see our compensation go up, but the backoffice numbers are fascinating. We've been able to keep even entry level compensation up but if you're looking for higher-than-COL raises every year, well there's where a large part of it is going.

ACA actually brought things down a bit so the last decade has seen lower increases going to healthcare. That will probably change at some point and large increases will eventually come back.

Need to actually consider what you are getting in retirement benefits as well. A 401K is terrible but even a small matching % can make a huge difference over the long term. Many companies cut their match during the crisis. People don't see that money coming out of their pocket immediately and don't complain as much but it can add up over the long term. If you are getting something better than a 401K a lower salary is worth it. Retirement planning requires a very long view to be taken so start thinking about it now on your first job instead of 20 years down the road when you are 45, the market is stagnant or crashing and you NEED to see 7% returns despite the fact that finding any return at all in a world where governments can offer negative returns on bonds is next to impossible.

Inflation and wage increases have remained low/nonexistent due to the large number of workers laid off during the crisis. The slack in labor has mostly disapeared now so small wage increases are coming back but currently everything is hosed up so who knows what's going to happen.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 20, 2016

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

The Royal Scrub posted:

It's a design job at a machine builder focusing on food packaging. I agree that it sounds low, and didn't think 63-65 was outrageous for me dropping a number first. Hopefully they're willing to meet in the middle, or at least give me some "time to think" while I send 100 applications out elsewhere.

The Royal Scrub posted:

I did a ton of salary research when I graduated from UCF at the end of 2013. Depends where in Florida and the company size.

In Orlando/Tampa/Space Coast:
50 w/good benefits was on the low side of average.
65 is on the high side for first out of school unless theyre starting you at a level 2 because of prior experience.

Tally/Jax/Redneckville N Florida are shifted a little lower.
Manufacturing is a little lower, generally.
Miami is much higher with a high COL.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I work in the Fort Lauderdale area and the engineers where I work make around 60k and have good benefits.

I do almost the exact same thing the engineers do and I make 3/4 of that because my bachelor's is in history, haha.

We did get this new hire who seems utterly unwilling to do any kind of drafting or grunt work and is talking about wanting to go to Oxford or Dubai and i'm just laughing my rear end off. He's also dumb as gently caress. To be fair, most of the engineers just do project management work here. I hope he burns out though because he's insufferable.

If I were management, though, I would actually consider the age(as long as it's under 40 or so) a plus. 22 year old grads can be a headache just because they're still young college students mentally.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Standard disclaimer that money isn't everything - if you only need 8 hours a day strictly and the people are nice to work with $5k - $10k lower salary is worth it in my opinion.
I would much rather try to live on $50k in florida than $65k in the bay area too.

That said, I would still explore other options as deep as possible, because that's never a wrong choice.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Uncle Jam posted:

Standard disclaimer that money isn't everything - if you only need 8 hours a day strictly and the people are nice to work with $5k - $10k lower salary is worth it in my opinion.
I would much rather try to live on $50k in florida than $65k in the bay area too.

That said, I would still explore other options as deep as possible, because that's never a wrong choice.

Everything said here I agree with. Especially you can live way richer on 70k in central FL than you can on 100k in the bay area.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?
drat, it sounds like Florida salaries are just absolute poo poo. I just graduated in December with an EE degree in the Midwest, and all of the MEs I knew were getting 55-65k. Not somewhere expensive like Chicago either.

The Royal Scrub posted:

You're a professional now. Basic poo poo like a small 401k match, decent insurance, and at least 2 weeks vacation are a floor, especially if they are a big company like you said. Definitely figure out what "Good Benefits" are, since it sounds like an excuse rather than a fact when it's combined with a lowball offer.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

ChipNDip posted:

drat, it sounds like Florida salaries are just absolute poo poo. I just graduated in December with an EE degree in the Midwest, and all of the MEs I knew were getting 55-65k. Not somewhere expensive like Chicago either.

Thats about the salary in Florida at large companies. Plus generally low COL and no income tax.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Are there any resources for finding out the engineering behind pacemakers / defibrillators / intravascular devices from the electrical side?

I could pull some schematics to analyze but I'm looking for a bit more than that.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

PRADA SLUT posted:

Are there any resources for finding out the engineering behind pacemakers / defibrillators / intravascular devices from the electrical side?

I could pull some schematics to analyze but I'm looking for a bit more than that.

The FDA has documents detailing requirements for implantable devices if that's what you mean. Toxicity, heat dissipation, EMI, packaging and etc...

Otherwise it's the same electrical engineering as any other circuit.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
Got a quick question. I'm pursuing an EE degree from Arizona State, but it's online (I'm across the country and can't go in-res and the closest university with EE charges 5x more than ASU). Does that reflect negatively when job searching or do employers generally don't care as long as the program is ABET-accredited?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I'm sure some employers care, but I would guess most don't. Besides, do they have any way of knowing it was online unless you tell them?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Try to avoid mentioning that it's online, but don't hide it if it comes to the forefront. If it's during an interview, you'll want to be able to talk about times that you took efforts to compensate for the impersonal nature of the classes. For scoring the interview, it doesn't matter one bit -- they'll see the B.S., EE and that's all that matters. Don't mention it was an online program in your resume, if that's not obvious.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

I wouldn't hide it once you get to the interview - own it. You should be able to talk about all the benefit you got from the program compared to your other options.

You should not mention the word online before the interview otherwise you're asking to be screened out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

antiga posted:

I wouldn't hide it once you get to the interview - own it. You should be able to talk about all the benefit you got from the program compared to your other options.

You should not mention the word online before the interview otherwise you're asking to be screened out.

Just IMO but I wouldnt mention it at all unless they ask. If it is somehow discernible from their normal BSEE I wouldnt take it online.