Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

I just care enough to want to trade for a shiny force of will from those who cared enough (more? Less?) to open packs of it.

There are a bunch of EDH cards that will probably come out of the set that will hopefully drop the price of said cards down enough for me to be able to pick them up. I'm still not used to being in possession of 20 dollar and up cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Oraculum Animi posted:

There are a bunch of EDH cards that will probably come out of the set that will hopefully drop the price of said cards down enough for me to be able to pick them up. I'm still not used to being in possession of 20 dollar and up cards.

The first day I owned my nm gaia's cradle was a weird but fuzzy feeling. Only then did I understand how strong crop rotation saccing forest getting cradle tap for 6 green Myojin of Life's Web dump my hand was in Animar.

Good feelings everywhere.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Toshimo posted:

"Just randomly work some overtime, stranger." - A person hopelessly out of touch with reality.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Count Bleck posted:

The first day I owned my nm gaia's cradle was a weird but fuzzy feeling. Only then did I understand how strong crop rotation saccing forest getting cradle tap for 6 green Myojin of Life's Web dump my hand was in Animar.

The first time I was very satisfied with my Tabernacle purchased was when I went "Taiga, exploration, tabernacle" on turn 1 on the play against an elves opponent.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Here's a Massdrop for a box of Origins for 82 bucks. Flip Jace is 80 bucks.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/magic-...y%20Promotional

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Anyone who cares about a thing more than I do is a loving try hard loser and anyone who cares less than I do is a casual poser piece of poo poo

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

Still probably won't break even.

rabidsquid posted:

Anyone who cares about a thing more than I do is a loving try hard loser and anyone who cares less than I do is a casual poser piece of poo poo

And lol at people with non-poo poo jobs. What kind of reality do you live in?

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

rabidsquid posted:

New thread title, mods?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

Do you know how many crimes you could do if you had spent that money on bullets and guns instead. It's really not a good RoI

I can't do crimes because nobody knows where to buy meth

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

I'm not even there yet. I'm on the "traded heavily in my favor for an Oblivion Stone" level.

deftest
May 7, 2011

mcmagic posted:

* $82.99 + $5.35 shipping

Really, you'd need a Jace AND a Hangarback Walker

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

deftest posted:

It's actually one of the better box deals I've seen.

If I had not sworn to not buy packs this year I'd be heavily considering it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

deftest posted:

Jace and Abbot or Jace and any other walker.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Note that all of those scenarios involve Jace

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Entropic posted:

I mean, why else are you buying packs of origins?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Madmarker posted:

I really want that foil Chandra, yo.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Entropic posted:

Clearly.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

rabidsquid posted:

Finally someone willing to speak the truth.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

rabidsquid posted:

Sickening posted:

And lol at people with non-poo poo jobs. What kind of reality do you live in?

This but unironically

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Madmarker posted:

If you are wanting a jace, just buy a jace. The gamble only gets you 15-30+ bucks in trade fodder or 10$ in profit from sales after shipping/cut/price to move. Seems like too much risk for so little gain.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

75% of Origins booster boxes do not contain Jace.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Sickening posted:

If you are wanting a jace, just buy a jace. The gamble only gets you 15-30+ bucks in trade fodder or 10$ in profit from sales after shipping/cut/price to move. Seems like too much risk for so little gain.

Oh I agree wholeheartedly. However, I cant imagine any other reason why, at this juncture, anyone would be buying origins packs/boxes.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Mezzanon posted:

Are you doing either if the Calgary Pre-TQ's at the end of the month? Tack the goyf at one of those and I'll film.

No, I'll be out of town for the quidditch regional championship. Next time you come here for Magic though, I'll go where you're going and do this thing.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Madmarker posted:

Oh I agree wholeheartedly. However, I cant imagine any other reason why, at this juncture, anyone would be buying origins packs/boxes.

Generally if an event pays out in boosters, I take origins.

I know full well I'm more likely to get a Jace in Origins than an Expedition at this point.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

If you actually want max EV from standard boosters open KTK. The presence of 4 $20 and 1 $14 rares outweigh the price of mythics in other sets.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

sarmhan posted:

If you actually want max EV from standard boosters open KTK. The presence of 4 $20 and 1 $14 rares outweigh the price of mythics in other sets.

Not to mention Swiftspear is like a $3-$4 uncommon.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

sarmhan posted:

False. TCG low, FRF > KTK. TCG mid, DTK > FRF > KTK.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

There's also the added EV from foil fetchlands- which go for $45 for the nonblue and $70-80 for the blue ones. Unlike foil mythics these are real cards that you might open.

Oath's EV is actually good at the moment too, and it'll no longer be opened in 6 weeks

Toshimo posted:

False. TCG low, FRF > KTK. TCG mid, DTK > FRF > KTK.
That explicitly doesn't include foils. As I said above foil fetches are actually an important component of KTK's EV.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Madmarker posted:

Perhaps, I have no interest in the set, but as a discussion point I find it somewhat interesting. I am perplexed by how excited some people have gotten for it and wondered if I am missing something important because of my inherent disdain for a supposed reprint product that will by its very nature lack the product actually in need of reprinting. Or if I will find people are similarly perplexed, thereby justifying my belief that the set is of little use.

Is it really so baffling why people would be excited for a bunch of old and/or out of print cards being reprinted? I know it's part of the whole autistic goon thing to pretend to be above petty human emotions like "excitement" or "being interested in absolutely anything" but to regular, normal people it's actually pretty cool seeing a bunch of cool cards being reprinted.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If any of you jerks have got more money than you know what to do with, Terese Nielsen is going to be auctioning off the original art for the new Force of Will:
https://www.facebook.com/TheArtOfTereseNielsen/photos/a.423085054418909.95166.423072597753488/1031827926877949/?type=3&theater

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

alansmithee posted:

Is it really so baffling why people would be excited for a bunch of old and/or out of print cards being reprinted? I know it's part of the whole autistic goon thing to pretend to be above petty human emotions like "excitement" or "being interested in absolutely anything" but to regular, normal people it's actually pretty cool seeing a bunch of cool cards being reprinted.

I get being excited about cool new things, and I guess out of print things, but this is Legacy: The Set, and, because of the existence of the Reserve List, can't reprint anything that will make that format at all more accessible. The only thing I can really think of is maybe EDH, but :shrug:, that is still not my thing. So I don't get this particular set.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
lmao I haven't looked at :mtgfinance: but holy poo poo flip jace is 80 bucks? :laffo:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

alansmithee posted:

I think he can say he isn't excited about a set without the reason being that he is autistic or above petty human emotions. What the gently caress are you going on about?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Madmarker posted:

I get being excited about cool new things, and I guess out of print things, but this is Legacy: The Set, and, because of the existence of the Reserve List, can't reprint anything that will make that format at all more accessible. The only thing I can really think of is maybe EDH, but :shrug:, that is still not my thing. So I don't get this particular set.

There are actually quite a few expensive Legacy cards that aren't on the Reserve List. Even ignoring FoW and Waste, see, say, Karakas and Rishadan Port.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Madmarker posted:

I'm inclined to agree. I've nothing against the idea of it but I've never had any particular desire to play legacy or vintage and realistically I doubt it'll make any meaningful difference in opening up either of those formats anyway.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Elyv posted:

There are actually quite a few expensive Legacy cards that aren't on the Reserve List. Even ignoring FoW and Waste, see, say, Karakas and Rishadan Port.

As an elves player I am excited that more people might decide to build Death & Taxes. :getin:

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Madmarker posted:

What is there to "get"? They're reprinting a bunch of old cards. Also you're flat out wrong about the set not making Legacy more accessible-the only things that are big on the reserve list for Legacy are pretty much duals, LED, and a couple other random lands (cradle, tabernacle, etc). Even with just the two cards that have been previewed, you're likely looking at taking 100-200 bucks off a playset of either (wasteland and FoW). And EDH is a big thing and it's likely that there will be at least a few cards that are near-staples that get reprinted (and should see at least a minor price drop).

Like I get if it's not for you, but to not understand how people could be excited about this is just baffling, even if it doesn't directly impact you.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

alansmithee posted:

What is there to "get"? They're reprinting a bunch of old cards. Also you're flat out wrong about the set not making Legacy more accessible-the only things that are big on the reserve list for Legacy are pretty much duals, LED, and a couple other random lands (cradle, tabernacle, etc). Even with just the two cards that have been previewed, you're likely looking at taking 100-200 bucks off a playset of either (wasteland and FoW). And EDH is a big thing and it's likely that there will be at least a few cards that are near-staples that get reprinted (and should see at least a minor price drop).

Like I get if it's not for you, but to not understand how people could be excited about this is just baffling, even if it doesn't directly impact you.

Manabases are the problem. You can print as many of the other cards you want, but without Duals, without LED, without Cradle, Legacy as a format is essentially unplayable for everyone who isnt Death and Taxes, Manaless Dredge or Legacy Fish.

It just feels like people are getting hopes up about getting to play decks that are going to be locked behind just as significant a price and accessibility wall as before. I just hope there is enough valuable EDH toys to make it worth it for the people playing. A minor price drop isnt enough. A 200 price drop from 3k for Legacy Miracles is still 2800.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Madmarker posted:

because of the existence of the Reserve List, can't reprint anything that will make that format at all more accessible

Uhhh

Force of Will, Wasteland, Rishadan Port, Karakas, Sensei's Divining Top, Show and Tell, Snapcaster Mage, some of the EDH set stuff like Flusterstorm, TNN, Containment Priest, and then just good uncommons being a few bucks cheaper and much more plentiful like Swords, Brainstorm, Bolt, Ponder, etc.

There are a lot of wrong things in this thread but "can't make legacy accessible" is probably the wrongest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Madmarker posted:

It just feels like people are getting hopes up about getting to play decks that are going to be locked behind just as significant a price and accessibility wall as before. I just hope there is enough valuable EDH toys to make it worth it for the people playing. A minor price drop isnt enough. A 200 price drop from 3k for Legacy Miracles is still 2800.

Yeah, this. It's not wrong to say that 2800 is a price drop from 3000 (or whatever numbers one wants to use, as long as they don't underestimate the influence of the reserved list part) but it kinda misses the point.

• Locked thread