Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

People who have to wait on the light to go green before crossing a road. If there's a gap in traffic, use it to your advantage.

Also, people crossing at no other part of the road than the traffic lights. If there is a gap in traffic, use it to your advantage.

Countries where it is deemed necessary to have a law that doesn't allow people to cross a road without being told to by a 10ft pole that flashes between walk and don't walk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

ChaosArgate posted:

Other driving related peeves of mine, I hate highway traffic, especially when caused by accidents. Generally, the traffic comes from funneling 3-4 lanes into a smaller number of lanes, which I understand. What I don't understand is why traffic gets really bad when the people involved are in the breakdown lane and not actually in the way so no lane funneling is involved and the best I've come up with is that people slow to a crawl so they can gawk because traffic instantly gets much, much lighter as soon as I get past the accident.

I don't think it's as simple as people just wanting to have a look. If you see an accident ahead, or emergency vehicles attending an accident, the sensible thing is to slow right down because you don't know what's happening - there could be oil and debris all over the road. Also, once a traffic jam has started it will pretty much stay there if the traffic is dense enough. Even if nobody at all gawked at the scene there'd still be a huge jam which clears up almost immediately afterwards. Even when the accident has been cleared up there can still be a jam at the place it used to be.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

reformed bad troll posted:

People who have to wait on the light to go green before crossing a road. If there's a gap in traffic, use it to your advantage.

Also, people crossing at no other part of the road than the traffic lights. If there is a gap in traffic, use it to your advantage.

Countries where it is deemed necessary to have a law that doesn't allow people to cross a road without being told to by a 10ft pole that flashes between walk and don't walk.

No cop is gonna bust you for jaywalking. That's why other minor offenses are referred to as 'the jaywalking of ____'

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Arrath posted:

Yeah it's pretty easy to set it up so you don't have to see poo poo you don't want to. Did I bitch out my cousin for liking a Franklin Graham (religious nutjob) post, this making it appear in my feed? No, I just hit "never show posts from Franklin Graham" and if that doesn't work then I'll unfollow that cousin. Easy.

I had to do that with a serious gun nut guy I was buddies with through an old job. Dude was the kind of person that was freaking out about "Obama taking mah guns" when the assault rifle ban stuff was being talked about. No matter how rationally I tried to debate the guy, or what solutions I proposed or asked him to propose, he'd always loop back to the 2nd amendment and freak out like a jackass. Only reason I didn't block him was because of the hilarity right after Obama gave a tearful speech about gun violence and pushed for stricter gun control, dude blew a loving gasket when I pointed out that yes, gun owners have the choice to open or conceal carry a firearm, but other people also have the choice not to allow them into their establishments or homes while carrying a weapon.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Most people aren't looking to rationally debate about any of their beliefs* :ssh: It's not worth the time and effort to even try.

*Especially if it's fuckin gun related.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Bigass trucks that have to pass you right now or ride your rear end on a 2 way road, then 20 seconds later turn off a side street.

You know that BMW/Mercedes meme where the drivers are all the worst? Well it's like that here, but replace tiny coupe with bigass dually bro trucks that will loving destroy an entire lane of traffic in a crash, and they all drive like assholes.

darkhand has a new favorite as of 21:23 on Feb 19, 2016

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

grittyreboot posted:

No cop is gonna bust you for jaywalking.

If you're white, sure.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Saagonsa posted:

If you're white, sure.

Nah, it just depends on how bored they are. Middle aged white ladies get busted outside my office on occasion.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

KoB posted:

Nah, it just depends on how bored they are. Middle aged white ladies get busted outside my office on occasion.

Also if people have been getting hit. There were a couple of jaywalking fatalities on a particular road near my home when I was in high school (including a regular at the fast food place where I worked), so the cops started busting folks to send a message.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

darkhand posted:

Bigass trucks that have to pass you right now or ride your rear end on a 2 way road, then 20 seconds later turn off a side street.

You know that BMW/Mercedes meme where the drivers are all the worst? Well it's like that here, but replace tiny coupe with bigass dually bro trucks that will loving destroy an entire lane of traffic in a crash, and they all drive like assholes.

Bro truck drivers are the worst. I just hope the constant dump of testosterone and adrenaline they expose themselves to while driving gives them nut-cancer or infertility or something. I don't how how this poo poo works, I just hope something bad happens to them because it seems like they cause more accidents than they actually get into.

Pet peeve right now: the pause between songs on Pandora. It allows me to hear the noise going on next door and I wish their pregaming was done so that they would just go out already. I also hope some chick takes them home and they never ever come back.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I hate when you're approaching a traffic crossing and you see the light has been red for a while so there's no way you'll make it before the light goes green again and traffic flows. So you end up just slowing down, ambling to the light waiting for it to turn so you can push the button and get a full cycle to cross the road with. I also hate when a car gets Stuck between the lights so it is straddling the crossing because it got cocky, it is rush hour and the cars in front have all stopped due to another light so you have to sidle around the drat thing:
code:
                 L                     L
------------------------------------------------------------------
[car1        ]        [carIdiot]        [car 3         ]
L=Traffic Crossing Light.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BioEnchanted posted:

I also hate when a car gets Stuck between the lights so it is straddling the crossing because it got cocky, it is rush hour and the cars in front have all stopped due to another light so you have to sidle around the drat thing:
code:
                 L                     L
------------------------------------------------------------------
[car1        ]        [carIdiot]        [car 3         ]
L=Traffic Crossing Light.

I see this all the time and it annoys the poo poo out of me. God drat, what the gently caress are you doing? Do you think pulling forward that extra two metres is going to get you where you're going faster? Leave the loving crossing clear until the car ahead of you has made room.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Anyone "rolling coal" should be put to death by having their exhaust piped right into their lungs. gently caress those guys.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On a similar note I believe all car horns should be made out of SPIDERS! That way people will only touch the loving thing when ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY!

I believe this sums up my Driving Peeves nicely: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWwiKjCli94

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Tiggum posted:

I see this all the time and it annoys the poo poo out of me. God drat, what the gently caress are you doing? Do you think pulling forward that extra two metres is going to get you where you're going faster? Leave the loving crossing clear until the car ahead of you has made room.

You don't understand, driving is a competition to get wherever you want to go as quickly as you possibly can, regardless of the danger or inconvenience caused to other road users.

The more people you piss off the more you win.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I work and take care of my mother and help with the bills. I usually don't have money to do fun things after paying bills so I like to squeeze in odd jobs here and there for friends and family. Usually a few people have things they are willing to pay me for but due to scheduling I have to turn down some of them. my biggest loving peeve is when I agree to do work for someone and then they either cancel on me that day or say they can't pay me for a few weeks.

You loving made me waste time and money for your poo poo! Not to mention the other person I turned down!

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Gitro posted:

You don't understand, driving is a competition to get wherever you want to go as quickly as you possibly can, regardless of the danger or inconvenience caused to other road users.

The more people you piss off the more you win.

gently caress, I've been doing it wrong for years. :suicide:

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

Gitro posted:

The more people you piss off impress with your awesome driving skills the more you win.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.

Tiggum posted:

It's even worse when it's a bus. I physically could not cross the road once even though the lights were red because the bus was completely blocking it off. :(

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I like when you're out in the intersection on a left turn lane and:

it turns yellow
you go
it turns red
and the three cars behind you also turn left.

Motherfuckers, it wasn't yellow when you turned, and you weren't out in the intersection.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

MisterBibs posted:

This is what happens when my dad asks me to do something. "Put that song on this thumbstick" versus "So I was talking to Katie and she wasn't feeling well, so we didn't talk long, but we talked about music and :words: :words:"

Dad speak usually takes about eight days to answer the question of "Guess who I ran into today?" when the answer is just a person's name that could have been said immediately after "Who?". See: my dad.

Me after listening to my dad ramble on (except Elsa is my dad telling a story):

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

You Are A Elf posted:

Dad speak usually takes about eight days to answer the question of "Guess who I ran into today?" when the answer is just a person's name that could have been said immediately after "Who?". See: my dad.

Me after listening to my dad ramble on (except Elsa is my dad telling a story):

My old man can loving talk. It's funny when people get up to leave, he talks at the door, then they talk at the drive way, then they talk at the window of the car, then he talks on the sidewalk as they back out. Each transition takes like 20-30minutes each. Then he comes inside and says "man that David can talk talk talk" *moves his hand in a mouth opening and closing motion.* like it was them doing it.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

My pet peeve is people who won't even try different solutions to problems. My mom's speakers weren't working, and she was trying to fix them. I offered to help and she accepted, but she refused to let me try anything besides the same three things she did. No amount of "Just give this a try, maybe it'll fix it" would get her to try something else.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Sociopastry posted:

My pet peeve is people who won't even try different solutions to problems. My mom's speakers weren't working, and she was trying to fix them. I offered to help and she accepted, but she refused to let me try anything besides the same three things she did. No amount of "Just give this a try, maybe it'll fix it" would get her to try something else.

Yes, especially frustrating when you know the solution but the person refuses to take your advice. Then hours or days later they finally do what you said and it fixes the problem but they won't admit you were right.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

darkhand posted:

My old man can loving talk. It's funny when people get up to leave, he talks at the door, then they talk at the drive way, then they talk at the window of the car, then he talks on the sidewalk as they back out. Each transition takes like 20-30minutes each. Then he comes inside and says "man that David can talk talk talk" *moves his hand in a mouth opening and closing motion.* like it was them doing it.

I got sat in a double cube at work with one of these guys, I had to ask our supervisor for one of us to move because he wouldn't loving shut up.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
loving road boulders. Traffic is heavy but we're all going about 60, you're sat in the left lane with your thumb up your butt doing 50 in the passing lane. loving PASS someone or get over! This poo poo is legitimately dangerous, so it's more than just a peeve, but it definitely fits in peeve territory too.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
It bugs me when taking comic books with people and I mention Wolverine is my favorite and has been since I was a kid, and they immediately launch into s tirade about his healing factor being his power-- his OP power--, and bashing him for being too popular. Yes, he's popular, ridiculously so, but does that take away from his character growth or achievements?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I missed some of the Pedestrian Chat, but I'll submit a related pet peeve anyway:

Pedestrians that, when walking out of a building into the parking lot and seeing a car coming across the road, don't make any effort to speed up a little bit if there's car traffic on the roads surrounding the attached parking lot. You're the pedestrian, you have the right-of-way, but if you're walking and cars are stopped, the least you could do is speed up a half-step to get out of the way.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Radio commercials that play a loud car horn or police/ambulance siren sound effect. They do realize most people are driving while listening, right?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

reformed bad troll posted:

Hey, pedestrian fatalities are a real thing, and they tend to happen when motorists don't expect people to be crossing the road (i.e. outside a crosswalk). Not always, of course, but often.

In my city, the drivers are insane and/or yakking on their cell phones and not paying attention. I've almost been run over by cars turning even when I did wait for the signal, but at least it stops the ones moving in a straight line. I just feel safer waiting for the walk signal. I don't care if it takes an extra minute or so. It doesn't hurt anyone, and it might hurt me if I try to cross without it!

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Silver Falcon posted:

Hey, pedestrian fatalities are a real thing, and they tend to happen when motorists don't expect people to be crossing the road (i.e. outside a crosswalk). Not always, of course, but often.

In my city, the drivers are insane and/or yakking on their cell phones and not paying attention. I've almost been run over by cars turning even when I did wait for the signal, but at least it stops the ones moving in a straight line. I just feel safer waiting for the walk signal. I don't care if it takes an extra minute or so. It doesn't hurt anyone, and it might hurt me if I try to cross without it!

People find it super irritating to walk around with me because I refuse to jaywalk. I just don't trust drivers here, at all. Even when obeying every single traffic rule, I have still almost been hit by people who are going 70k/h in the middle of the city while eating a donut and talking on their phone.

Other peeve: People who let their dogs poo poo on the sidewalk and then don't pick it up are obviously the loving worst, but people who pick up their dog's poo poo with a baggie, tie it, and then leave it in the same place deserve a special place in hell.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

cash crab posted:

Other peeve: People who let their dogs poo poo on the sidewalk and then don't pick it up are obviously the loving worst, but people who pick up their dog's poo poo with a baggie, tie it, and then leave it in the same place deserve a special place in hell.
:psyduck: Who does this? Where is this a frequent problem?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

I've never seen it happen anywhere except Toronto. It happens constantly here. Also, you know how there's usually two seats near the window on streetcars/buses/trains? People here sit on the outside and when you try to take the seat closest to the window, they sort of turn their knees so you have to squeeze in and rub your butt on their face to get in. It's so uncommon for people to actually get up that it's a reportable event when they do, and we even had a short article about it in the newspaper a while back.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

cash crab posted:

It makes zero sense, I have no idea why a person would do that. But at the same time I'm more likely to notice a poo poo bag fluttering in the wind than a turd disguised as a leaf and I see the bags stepped on quite frequently and I feel you get less poop on your shoe?? It's way weirder than just leaving a turd.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
Our local, gorgeous sandy beach is positively strewn with little blue floral-scented bags of dog poo poo. Way to go, dog owners! You wrapped up your dog's leavings in a bag. Thanks a bunch! I'll just be over here, praying a rogue wave takes you and your poo poo machine to the cold, dark, bottom of the sea.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

There's a canal near to me and it's nice to walk along it on a summer evening, admiring the bushes and hedges with branches beautifully adorned with shitbags. Thanks, dog-owners, for taking the trouble to ensure nobody steps on them.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Henchman of Santa posted:

:psyduck: Who does this? Where is this a frequent problem?

It happens all the time in my neighborhood. Maybe not so much on the sidewalk, but most of the houses have fences with brick/stone posts on the corners, and those are a very popular place for people to leave their dog poo poo. I saw someone do it in front of mine multiple times and had to go out and shout them down (too bad I barely speak german except to call them a dumbass, so I go with that). One time they came back and got it (and probably put it on the next one), the other times they just ignore you and keep walking. There's garbage cans every couple blocks, it makes no sense. I know it's gross, but if you go to the effort of bagging it which is the grossest part, you can carry it to the trash can. My theory is they would pick it up if they lived on this block/street, but they don't and figure if it doesn't bother them personally it's fine.

e: vvv the way I see it, if it doesn't kill the pedestrians to wait, it doesn't kill you to wait an extra 5 seconds for them to get out of the way. If the walk signal was green when they entered the intersection they are fine to cross - how are they supposed to know how much time is left unless it's one of those ones that shows a countdown to red? There's usually a gap between the "don't walk" and your light turning green anyway to account for that.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 20:09 on Feb 21, 2016

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Pedestrian chat: If it's a 'don't walk' sign that allows 30 seconds to finish crossing, what makes you think you can do that 'white people' half jog when the sign is flashing 4 seconds left to cross? Like loving wait.
And then those fuckers calmly stroll across just as the traffic lights are turning yellow and onto green. So now people who wanted to turn right or go straight have to wait for these chucklefucks to finish up their stroll with 'white people half jog' part two.

It's not going to kill you to wait buddy!! There's a reason you're given a whole minute to start and finish crossing!

Related pet peeve: when it signals to pedestrians for them to start crossing the street, but I have to wait to check if someone's turning because there's always those fuckers who see green lights and slam on the gas. Then if there is someone turning I half to do that rude staring while I walk thing to make sure they A) see me and B) aren't going to stare at me while they hit the gas.

Or maybe there's just something about crosswalks near subways exits that make people stupider.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

teenytinymouse posted:

It makes zero sense, I have no idea why a person would do that. But at the same time I'm more likely to notice a poo poo bag fluttering in the wind than a turd disguised as a leaf and I see the bags stepped on quite frequently and I feel you get less poop on your shoe?? It's way weirder than just leaving a turd.

At least with my experience, sometimes there's no garbage can around. We got a trash can put down near my studio and it's done wonders to get rid of a lot of the trash. Those bags are flimsy as hell, so I can't blame people for not walking with it, especially if there's no trash can in sight. Those bags will just fall apart.

There are still douches who don't bother to pick up after their dogs at all :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Writer Cath posted:

At least with my experience, sometimes there's no garbage can around. We got a trash can put down near my studio and it's done wonders to get rid of a lot of the trash. Those bags are flimsy as hell, so I can't blame people for not walking with it, especially if there's no trash can in sight. Those bags will just fall apart.

There are still douches who don't bother to pick up after their dogs at all :argh:

So use grocery bags. It's still leaving the poo poo around/littering. When I'm walking home at night I'm just as likely to step on your flimsy bag as I am an un-picked-up poo poo because you can't see anything if the sidewalk is dark. Unless your dog is taking massive 5 pound shits, those bags are more than fine to carry it back home or to the nearest trash can. Even if it's inconvenient to you, it's your responsibility to put up with it. Leaving it behind is just passing on the job of cleaning up after your pet to someone else.