Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

The 4-footer is best bought from home depot :v:

Guy knew exactly what I was after when I walked into the plumbing aisle with my brand new 3/4" breaker bar and started test fitting its handle in long drops of black steel pipe. I got one with one end not threaded because it lets me grip the very back end of the extension pipe for maximum leverage without digging threads into my soft dainty hands.

Behold, 5' of torque:

I've been trying to break it for two years and I can't.

:swoon: that'll do!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Really regretting this POS DVD drive I bought in 2007. I just wanna reinstall Windows 7 ya bastatd.
If its lasted you since 2007 I'd say it lasted quite a while. They're under $20 these days.

You should be installing from usb anyway, because its the future.

Cage fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 19, 2016

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Yeah I'll have to download a copy of Win 7 to USB since I have a legit key anyways.

Does anyone else hate old video games besides me? My roommates are on vacation this week and have been camped out in the living room 24/7 with their N64 playing all these old games that look like dog poo poo with tons of wires everywhere. Ugh.

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 19, 2016

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Gosh darnit my idiot cat has a loose tooth that's hurting her. $$$$$$vet bills$$$$$$$

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Yeah I'll have to download a copy of Win 7 to USB since I have a legit key anyways.

Does anyone else hate old video games besides me? My roommates are on vacation this week and have been camped out in the living room 24/7 with their N64 playing all these old games that look like dog poo poo with tons of wires everywhere. Ugh.

you don't know about nostalgia maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

sometimes you just wanna relive good times form childhood

i've still got my dreamcast laying around, games are scattered but they're unencrypted cd-rom anyway so :filez:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Safety Dance posted:

Gosh darnit my idiot cat has a loose tooth that's hurting her. $$$$$$vet bills$$$$$$$

Surely you have some pliers around.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Tide posted:

Surely you have some pliers around.

Nah, I want to keep this cat for another decade at least. Dentistry is one of those things that should be done right.

My wife was reading about some sort of autoimmune thing that makes cats' teeth fall out. Hopefully Idiot Cat doesn't have that, but we'll see.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

You're looking for a VTL, not a vertical mill. Vertical Turning Lathes spin large parts with the axis of rotation being vertical. Vertical mills have the parts stationary and the spindle of the machine turns and it's axis of rotation is up and down. There are of course exceptions, but you're looking for a VTL.

e: not a VTL, but CNC programming can be tricky...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_2HIUa3puk

Those were some loving aggressive cuts, omg.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 19, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

glyph posted:

Found it. But the video isn't loading for me. Balls.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=775009032523726

HOLY gently caress.

(it loaded for me, and goddamn I've never seen 7500lbs of rapidly spinning metal fly off quite like that before. Nor do I ever wish to see it in person.)

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

um excuse me posted:

Just applied to a manufacturing position at Tesla. It's more like buying a lottery ticket to me, but a guy can dream.

:hfive:

I did the same thing a few months ago for the HR Director job at the Gigafactory. Essentially, yeah it'd be pretty bad rear end, but it's snowballs chance in hell territory. I am finally getting some call backs for interviews lately though, 2016 is shaping up to be significantly profitable.

glyph posted:

Found it. But the video isn't loading for me. Balls.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=775009032523726

I'd probably have to change my pants after that.

keykey fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 19, 2016

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

edit: I'm dumb and double posted. Quote /= Edit. :downs:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
FB vid doesn't load for me. :(

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

bolind posted:

honestly you just hear the spindle pick up speed and then there's a flash and a camera shake and the video is over. Nothing super exciting.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

bolind posted:

It did for me once I hit the 'xxx shares' link on the post and 'see attachment' of one of the shares.

kastein posted:

HOLY gently caress.

(it loaded for me, and goddamn I've never seen 7500lbs of rapidly spinning metal fly off quite like that before. Nor do I ever wish to see it in person.)

Funny you say that, because I eventually found the video by clicking your '?' post history dealie in the mechanical failures thread because I'd remembered you commenting on it last time around.

:v:

kastein posted:

jesus christ :stonk:

I never want to be in a room with that much rotational energy storage. Ever.

BloodBag posted:

You're looking for a VTL, not a vertical mill. Vertical Turning Lathes spin large parts with the axis of rotation being vertical. Vertical mills have the parts stationary and the spindle of the machine turns and it's axis of rotation is up and down. There are of course exceptions, but you're looking for a VTL.

I was going from memory, I guess through the fog of memory, I'd thought it was the A axis of a five axis or something, which I know has no business spinning at 650rpm, but hey, I hadn't had my coffee yet. :shrug:

E: It's also WAY sketchier in reality than my memory, I had remembered the piece being around 500#, not 7500#

glyph fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 19, 2016

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jesus both those videos had me bracing for what was going to happen and I still jumped :v:

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Still my favorite crash video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZB8W81ae_g

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BloodBag posted:

Now that's going hog wild.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Weird. Those CNC videos are strangely hypnotic and relaxing to me, even with the shrieking metal.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

I can just imagine the operator sighing as this happened. Dammit.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

His sequel is pretty fun too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4Z2SchhEKs

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Just got back from my second week of archery course, it's so dorky I love it. Now I've got a cold pilsner on the go trying to forget I have to be at work tomorrow again. At least the money's nice.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

kastein posted:

jesus christ :stonk:

I never want to be in a room with that much rotational energy storage. Ever.

Nobody ever show Ken datacentre flywheel UPSes. :stonk:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Slavvy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqPClltS5k8

Gripping the wheel his knuckles ran white with desire, the wheels of his mustang exploding on the highway like a slug from a forty five. True death. Four hundred horsepower of maximum performance, piercing the night.

This is black sunshine.

I love the music, but I'm disappointed that the best Mustang that they could come up with for that video was a bone-stock '65 (64-1/2?) 289. Not even a Mach One?
I always imagine a modded '69 or '70 fastback when I hear the song, either period with like AR Torq-Thrusts or Cragars and N60s, or more modern Pro Touring.

kastein posted:

HOLY gently caress.

No poo poo. That was scary. I'd have bought the machine though, because after all that, the only damage was cosmetic!

BloodBag posted:

e: not a VTL, but CNC programming can be tricky...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_2HIUa3puk

In the related vids to the above:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4Ok0LQx0Uc

That's a big lathe.

Tax refund came in. Most of it is going towards my wife's student loans to defray deferred interest, but I requested $500 for a decent tool box. Costco just dropped the price on their 42" two-piece by $100 to $499. Perfect. It's no Snap-On, but it'll do.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Have you checked out the 44" tool chest from HF? it's worth a look and cheaper too.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
we got stuck while wheeling a while ago
http://www.youdubber.com/index.php?video=0Yt1Er4yYg0&video_start=0&audio=jOyhQdYhC1o&audio_start=3

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm going to replace the dead auto tranny in my 92 chevy s-10 2wd 4.3l v6 truck. I've never done anything like it before, but the truck isn't worth enough to pay to have a new tranny done, so I'm just saying "gently caress it" and going for it.

Worthy of its own thread?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Leperflesh posted:

I'm going to replace the dead auto tranny in my 92 chevy s-10 2wd 4.3l v6 truck. I've never done anything like it before, but the truck isn't worth enough to pay to have a new tranny done, so I'm just saying "gently caress it" and going for it.

Worthy of its own thread?

Absolutely. Take lots of pics!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What if the "torque ratios" in that bad Liberty Mutual ad is talking about torque bias in LSDs?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Slung Blade wrote a Tumblr guest post for me today: http://seat-safety-switch.tumblr.com/post/139606190065/guest-post

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Tide posted:

i made it to 40 before i started getting a little thin in the back. and it's been driving me loving bananas. but today, while i was getting a haircut, i just kind of said 'gently caress it, it is what is is.' I have very little grey, except my crappy beard whiskers which, despite me having nearly black hair, is a mix of grey, brown, blonde and red.

:iiam:

poo poo, I'm almost jealous. Just in the last two years my temples have gone to entirely grey, and my hair is rapidly going to salt and pepper, but that doesn't bother me. No, it's the 4" long single white hairs in my goddamn beard that drive me nuts.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Thought of you today.

Timing belt and water pump. If I ever own my own shop I'm either hanging a sign that says no PT cruisers or I'm charging 10x for everything.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

El Jebus posted:

Thought of you today.

Timing belt and water pump. If I ever own my own shop I'm either hanging a sign that says no PT cruisers or I'm charging 10x for everything.

In my experience, they'd pay it. A sucker is born every minute, and they buy PT Cruisers when they turn 40.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Seat Safety Switch posted:

In my experience, they'd pay it. A sucker is born every minute, and they buy PT Cruisers when they turn 40.

In there defense you can jack the poo poo out of the engines. Its really not that terrible of a job getting the belt on is the worst part in my experience.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Dear God, between that and #takingthingsapart I'm in the right mood for overtime engineering. Never stop.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Salt Lake to Oakland, drive to Sacramento then back to Oakland to Vegas then back to Salt Lake in one day. I am beat but I got to see some awesome work stuffs and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

I'm going to go pass out now.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

That endmill was at the perfect feed&speed for that depth of cut and material. I love that sound and could listen to it all day. There's dudes at the shop that have been there for 30+ years. They'll load&touch off their parts, hit cycle start and sit back in their chair with their eyes closed and just listen. They'll occasionally open an eye and fiddle with the feed rate, and then go back to listening. These are guys cutting API threads, just sitting there listening.

For perspective, the younger guys fuss and fret all day about getting their setups just right, check out 7 gauges to check one thread and go way over time on the job, and still aren't qualified to cut an API cutback. Whenever one of the old salty dogs retires he takes such a huge depth and breadth of knowledge with him.

MrsAdiabatic
Feb 26, 2015

Gotta get up to get Down's
Any UK goons know of a spot I can go rally passenger joyriding? Obviously not opposed to driving, but I'm a total novice so the pucker factor might be better if I'm riding shotgun. Also, dope stuff to do in the greater isles? I'm going to be there for 10 or 11 days with a GIRL in August. Still in the early planning stages of the trip, so Ireland, Scotland, Wales, England, Isle of Man are all on the table.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BloodBag posted:

That endmill was at the perfect feed&speed for that depth of cut and material. I love that sound and could listen to it all day. There's dudes at the shop that have been there for 30+ years. They'll load&touch off their parts, hit cycle start and sit back in their chair with their eyes closed and just listen. They'll occasionally open an eye and fiddle with the feed rate, and then go back to listening. These are guys cutting API threads, just sitting there listening.

For perspective, the younger guys fuss and fret all day about getting their setups just right, check out 7 gauges to check one thread and go way over time on the job, and still aren't qualified to cut an API cutback. Whenever one of the old salty dogs retires he takes such a huge depth and breadth of knowledge with him.
We had a guy like this at the plastics company I interned at during college. Short, angry, old, short fuse and nearly deaf but he could get any material to mold perfectly with very little wasted material. Other guys would waste pounds of material getting settings close, he would look at the test data and have it dialed in within a couple test shots. For some reason we got along great and anytime I was molding something tricky he would show up, talk me through setup then sit and BS about cars while I made my samples.

Somehow I don't have a massive bruise after falling over on the trials bike yesterday onto a big rear end rock, still hurts like hell though. Running out of fuel part way through a double blip onto a boulder. Switched to reserve which I found out is only good for another couple hundred feet of technical trail. Then pushed it ~150ft up the trail to the service road where luckily someone rode by on an ATV with a tow strap. Ordered a fuel bottle and tow strap when I got home, don't want to go through that crap again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I've been shopping for car and this one caught my eye. I don't know a huge amount about these but the list of maint items sounds impressive.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/victoria-bc/2000-chevrolet-blazer-lt-suv-crossover/1141637050?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

• Locked thread