Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
With just what we know about his ability so far, if anyone outside of his immediate circle of friends really knew what he could do (particularly trivializing learning any/all skills, being able to share his xp/statgain system, etc) he'd have literally every major organization in the abyss gunning for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Madmarker posted:

I get it now, the Harem King is Jee-Han, from the FUTURE.
My pet theory is that the Wizard/Harem King is his dad and has a similar ability to him... But a different Genre of gaming (to match his title :v: )

This is a good alternative though. He's already abusing the time dilation barriers a lot, whose to say he doesn't figure out even more advanced methods of casual time travel later?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Madmarker posted:

I get it now, the Harem King is Jee-Han, from the FUTURE.

I thought there were some weird hints months ago that it was either this or that his dad was the harem king, or am I mixing it up with all the weird gamer style LN chat that's gone on in this thread?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
poo poo, people kept saying that existence eater was his dad despite that making no sense at all. harem king is somehow involved with jee-han and has yet to appear, so why not? i figure the harem king has some ability to empower women, hence his mom being all mysterious but later losing the question marks. if he had harem game powers why would anyone be intimidated by him? harem protagonists cant do much but woo love interests. sticking in more people with game-related abilities is dumb.

even the cell phone thing was just a big ritual thing with the game as the medium. people played the game, it sent their minds to the dungeon where they repeatedly died. all that produced mana for some reason. there wasnt a cell phone equivalent of the gamer running any of it.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Serious Frolicking posted:

harem protagonists cant do much but woo love interests.

Harem protagonists woo love interests like billion year old super alien space pirates and ultra super genus robots

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Elfgames posted:

Harem protagonists woo love interests like billion year old super alien space pirates and ultra super genus robots
While turning out to be a long-lost Space Prince that has inherited the Secret Family Arts of Space Magic. (To use the Muyo Tenchi! reference.)

Now imagine if that was true for all of the women he met in his life.

That's a HECK of a lot of potential Space Magic.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

EponymousMrYar posted:

While turning out to be a long-lost Space Prince that has inherited the Secret Family Arts of Space Magic. (To use the Muyo Tenchi! reference.)

Now imagine if that was true for all of the women he met in his life.

That's a HECK of a lot of potential Space Magic.

And of course, the main character's mom was too high of level for him to be able to read. It would fit.

filthychimp
Jan 2, 2006
Damned dirty ape
Just wanted to pop in and say that the author explicitly stated the Harem King is not Jeehan's dad, he's a character from a different series in the same universe.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
In other words the Harem King isn't actually important to this story, it was just an offhand reference to another work that none of us have read.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
It's worth noting that our favorite red hair girl hates the Chunbomoon clan, so that's a pretty natural issue that'll come up when he signs up. I'm fine with him getting assigned a fiance from joining the clan, they can play that up as more of a suggestion that doesn't have to be adhered to, but then you get Sae-young telling people she's his fiance which is a classic story device that creates hijinx.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

NowonSA posted:

It's worth noting that our favorite red hair girl hates the Chunbomoon clan, so that's a pretty natural issue that'll come up when he signs up. I'm fine with him getting assigned a fiance from joining the clan, they can play that up as more of a suggestion that doesn't have to be adhered to, but then you get Sae-young telling people she's his fiance which is a classic story device that creates hijinx.

Well yeah that's how faction systems usually work in MMOs. When you gain rep in one faction you tend to lose it in their rival ones.

Next on the Gamer: 20 chapters of nothing but rep grinding, if he does it enough he can buy Chunbomoon's faction only skills and recipes, then start repping red haired girl's faction for their skills and recipes.

joachim783
May 9, 2013
new chapter is out http://mngcow.co/The-Gamer/121/

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hm, it looks like maybe Chunbumoon is actually bad or something or taking advantage of him, based on that "Chunbumoon's Fool" thing? I hope not, since it would be kind of cliche.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Ytlaya posted:

Hm, it looks like maybe Chunbumoon is actually bad or something or taking advantage of him, based on that "Chunbumoon's Fool" thing? I hope not, since it would be kind of cliche.

I think that's just a clunky translation for like "stupid noob" or "clown" or something.

I like how we're kicking up the Asian nationalistic rivalries now :v:. Let's see how many sweet splash pages we can squeeze out of Japanese historical war crimes.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Eh, I doubt it, I think it is just a silly guild rank. Probably as he levels faction exp his rank will go up and he'll stop being chubumoon's fool.

deadly_pudding posted:

I think that's just a clunky translation for like "stupid noob" or "clown" or something.

I like how we're kicking up the Asian nationalistic rivalries now :v:. Let's see how many sweet splash pages we can squeeze out of Japanese historical war crimes.

Seriously, it was like definitely kind of a nationalistic pandering/wish fulfilling sort of statement. "And now we are super awesome and Japan is poop."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

deadly_pudding posted:

To be fair, it at least seemed to portray what that one branch did (stamping out the abyss organisations in Japan) as a bad thing.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Yeah, it is both "Korea is #1 and way better than Japan" and "these guys are actually enormous dicks who are just settling grudges for things that happened 70+ years ago". So, while the fact that they can suppress Japan is nationalistic as hell, it was presented as something they shouldn't be doing which is not very nationalistic at all. Kind of strange, really.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah, it is both "Korea is #1 and way better than Japan" and "these guys are actually enormous dicks who are just settling grudges for things that happened 70+ years ago". So, while the fact that they can suppress Japan is nationalistic as hell, it was presented as something they shouldn't be doing which is not very nationalistic at all. Kind of strange, really.

I got the impression that they took revenge shortly after WW2, not that they'd been nursing a grudge for decades.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Yeah it's coming off as both "Heh, stupid Japanese, Koreans are way better :smuggo:" and "Wait, hold up, the reason we're so much better is because your splinter family has been enslaving and murdering the Japanese abyss for almost a century? :smugjones:"

Like "It's ok to think you're better than someone else, it's not ok to murder and enslave them because you think you're better than them."

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Clarste posted:

I got the impression that they took revenge shortly after WW2, not that they'd been nursing a grudge for decades.

They took revenge and then continued to keep Japan in the bush leagues to this day. Why dick over japan for decades if you don't loving despise japan?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Same reason America did and does? They still aren't allowed to have a real army, technically.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
The grudge is VERY deep. Part of the reason is that Japan never really paid reparations to the people they hosed over, and never admitted the crimes they committed like Germany did. If the Japanese government does the same thing that Germany did and outlaw any glorification of any character, event, or action that resulted in war crimes being committed during WW2, as well as add on a hefty sentence to doing so, the Asiatic countries that they plundered would probably be more forgiving. Of course, this means a lot those war heroes of Japan from WW2 would probably be painted in a very unflattering light now. Long and short of it is, the people of the branch family (as well as a lot of the nationalist Chinese) continue to view the Japanese as scum because they come off as unrepentant monsters who would gently caress you over a second time if given the chance.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Clarste posted:

Same reason America did and does? They still aren't allowed to have a real army, technically.

This comparison doesn't make much sense. America basically rebuilt Japan and extended the umbrella of US military protection to them. These guys in the comic left the Japanese supernatural scene in a state of scorched earth, and while it doesn't go into detail on how exactly they 'keep them in check', given the character of the people involved I'm assuming they go over there and kick the poo poo out of any promising upstarts, steal their stuff, maybe enslave some people. "Forbids a standing army" pretty clearly does not equate to "uses lethal force to prevent the revival of civilization".

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Clarste posted:

Having some army bases doesn't really count as "dicking over", especially when you consider that in the 80s everyone in America was afraid that Japan would own the world at the rate their economy was going.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I find it strangely funny that the branch family named after a famous figure can't actually wield said famous figure's signature weapon.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

BlitzBlast posted:

I find it strangely funny that the branch family named after a famous figure can't actually wield said famous figure's signature weapon.

Its not the first time a branch family has tried real hard at being pretenders to the throne.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

Having some army bases doesn't really count as "dicking over", especially when you consider that in the 80s everyone in America was afraid that Japan would own the world at the rate their economy was going.

We don't actually know what they're subclan is doing to Japan either. All we know is that they took revenge on Japan, drained energy from the most powerful people at the time, and Japan's Abyss has never recovered. It doesn't even imply that they're doing anything recently. If they killed off all the most powerful Japanese clans a generation ago it's pretty natural that they'd still be gone, even if they're not still actively dicking them over. And just maintaining a presence at all is a pretty big threat on its own.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Clarste posted:

Pretty sure that while we did impose that, the reason that's still a thing is because Japan as a whole wants it to be a thing (because it is easier to just let the U.S. do most of the heavy lifting there). I think Abe has been trying to repeal it for a while now.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah, they're trying to change it, but the point was just that they're still dealing with the effects of WW2's aftermath, even though the US isn't actively nursing a decades old grudge. The way I read the explanation, it wasn't that they're currently terrorizing Japan with all their might, just that their "anything goes for the greater good of Korea" attitude was started by them taking revenge on Japan decades ago, and Japan's Abyss is still feeling the effects.

I mean, they probably don't like Japan, and they're also evil, but that didn't seem like it was still their primary motivation to me.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Given time new groups would rise up. What, like no one in the japanese abyss is even remotely ambitious? None of them wanted to be stronger in a world where strength is tremendously important?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

They're probably farming it.

Or pursuing their stated goal by being the top dog in the region and keeping it that way aggressively.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's hard to get stronger when anyone who could teach you is dead.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Clarste posted:

It's hard to get stronger when anyone who could teach you is dead.

That would only be true if you couldn't buy develop and create new abilities, to say nothing of the people who randomly get powers from gaia. Oh, and amazon has the basics for sale.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Even if all that stuff exists, the whole clan structure gives me the impression that do-it-yourself magic is incredibly rare and not all that helpful compared to being raised around magic from birth. And, well, I thought it was obvious that gifts from Gaia are incredibly rare, given that we've never seen a single one other than the main character. And even he wouldn't be all that impressive without his buddy's clan backing him up with secret healing techniques and general protection.

Frankly, I kind of got the impression that if you weren't born to a proud lineage of mages/martial arts wizards, you probably weren't even worth mentioning.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Clarste posted:

Even if all that stuff exists, the whole clan structure gives me the impression that do-it-yourself magic is incredibly rare and not all that helpful compared to being raised around magic from birth. And, well, I thought it was obvious that gifts from Gaia are incredibly rare, given that we've never seen a single one other than the main character. And even he wouldn't be all that impressive without his buddy's clan backing him up with secret healing techniques and general protection.

Frankly, I kind of got the impression that if you weren't born to a proud lineage of mages/martial arts wizards, you probably weren't even worth mentioning.

I'm not sure where you got that idea, as we have seen exactly two big families of martial artists and one of them got chumped by one guy. Likewise, we have seen one big group of mages and they got chumped by three people. There are tons of powerful individuals running around. It isn't like this is a game, where you can only learn what the system makes available. People can invent stuff on their own; that is where all those fancy martial arts and spells originally came from.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Now that Jee-Han is in the clan, I wonder if he'll learn that skill that needed 90 int from way earlier. I suppose it depends on what it actually does now that he's specc'd into full-on wizard.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I'm not sure where you got that idea, as we have seen exactly two big families of martial artists and one of them got chumped by one guy. Likewise, we have seen one big group of mages and they got chumped by three people. There are tons of powerful individuals running around. It isn't like this is a game, where you can only learn what the system makes available. People can invent stuff on their own; that is where all those fancy martial arts and spells originally came from.

I don't see why you think powerful individuals are necessarily self-taught. I'm not saying they need a group effort to do anything, I'm saying that powerful people probably use "secret techniques" passed down from father to son or master to student. Heck, we see these powerful individuals like the witch take on Jee Han as a disciple, implying this is how magic is normally taught. You're right this isn't like a game, but that's because it's like a martial arts story instead. You don't become an expert at magic or martial arts by grinding forever by yourself, you get mentored by an skilled master. And if all those masters are dead because of invaders from Korea, then the people there will have to reinvent the wheel, and that takes time.

Jee-Han would likely never have learned the healing spell on his own, nor would he have come up with the idea of creating hyperbolic time chambers to train in. These were preexisting techniques that had been perfected by generations of earlier martial arts wizards, and the higher level techniques almost certainly aren't for sale on ebay.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 26, 2016

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
also most people cant just touch a book and learn a spell they would actually have to read them, comprehend them and slowly master the abilities. and those books are reeealy expensive, also i assume any powerful natural talents are murdered or farmed

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
They can't touch books to learn the contents, no. But if learning skills via study and practice is so difficult, why would there be skill books to begin with? Jee-Han just takes a shortcut, is all. Aside from yun-hon recovery (which is normally supposed to consume the user's soul) he uses the same spells the same way as any other mage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yes, he uses the spells in the same way because he magically learned how to overnight. The books are probably aimed at more experienced people who already have a better grasp of the fundamentals of magic from whatever training they've done. You don't just pick them up and decide to become a mage one day. People who stumble into the Abyss get enslaved or whatever, they don't become powerful mages. Unless you're incredibly lucky, you'll almost certainly need to someone to ease you into it, and that probably means being the child or relative of someone who's already in it, because friends don't exactly want to get their work/school buddies killed for no reason. That's why I assume most Abyss members grew up in the Abyss, and with fewer established clans around after a round of genocidal revenge, there's simpler way less of those people.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Feb 26, 2016