Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Y'all making me want a couple of Picklebacks now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Sizone posted:

dude, the pickle is a prerefridgerator concept. you're talking about, like, brine and vinegar flavored fresh vegetable twaddle.

either brined then canned, or salted enough and placed in an acidic enough solution that it will last until the next harvest is the way of the goddamn pickle.

will you hurry up and learn how to whip already?

U

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I store my pickles at 500 degreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee~

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

This thread getting Dad AF

naem
May 29, 2011

numberoneposter posted:

This thread getting Dad AF

I'm going to go incorrectly assemble some metal build-it-yourself-shelving in the garage and then start to curse but cut myself off because I see kids watching and then instead say (in the angriest tones possible) GOD, BLESS IT

Lupin
Feb 21, 2007

U lazy son of a bitch, you better read that goddamn recipe that i typed out for you

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Lupin posted:

U lazy son of a bitch, you better read that goddamn recipe that i typed out for you

I read it and thought:

That seems doable
Pickle possible
Eat them bones
Keep it real ossible

That lactic brine
Takes care and time
So sorry Alton B
Go soak some cukes in pee

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
poetry and pickles

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
For real though one time I tried to make kimchi because you couldn't buy it in the poo poo town I was living in at the time and it turned out really poorly after extended efforts so now I'm scared to ferment.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Sheep-Goats posted:

For real though one time I tried to make kimchi because you couldn't buy it in the poo poo town I was living in at the time and it turned out really poorly after extended efforts so now I'm scared to ferment.

Make some kraut yet? I make it all the time. Three days of stench and then magic occurs (do it in the shed). Nothing like a brat with some homemade kraut and mustard.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

King of Bees posted:

Make some kraut yet? I make it all the time. Three days of stench and then magic occurs (do it in the shed). Nothing like a brat with some homemade kraut and mustard.

No because once I think about getting cabbages and stuff I start thinking I want to make kimchi again and then go back to the previous post.

Thunder God Biden
Sep 8, 2004

Israel is not a legitimate entity, and no amount of pressure can force us to recognize its right to exist.

naem posted:

GOD, BLESS IT

If I say this I'm angrier than if I had said dammit. Thanks, Dad!

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Sheep-Goats posted:

No because once I think about getting cabbages and stuff I start thinking I want to make kimchi again and then go back to the previous post.

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/easy-kimchi maangchi will save you

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
ten loving pounds. dude, the fermentation gasses will ignite the next time he turns his oven up to FIVE HUNNED

don't try and kill sheepgoats like that, not before he has learned how to whip

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Curses, I'll get you next time sheepgoats. :argh:

PuppiesAndKitties
Jun 5, 2008
I LOVE KYASHI'S MONEY
Grimey Drawer
Can you eat sardines if you are not a dad

asking for a friend

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007

PuppiesAndKitties posted:

asking for a friend

Yes, you can eat sardines if you aren't a dad.

Also pickles, kippers, and other foods with strong flavors like that go great with vodka. I'm told in Russia they'll have a small glass of vodka with snacks like that, and heavy-on-the-garlic garlic bread.

naem
May 29, 2011

asking for a friend

Yes but you may get pregnant

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

asking for a friend

To crib a music review I read once:

Sardines are dadfood for people too broken to have kids.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Shithead Deluxe posted:

Yes, you can eat sardines if you aren't a dad.

Also pickles, kippers, and other foods with strong flavors like that go great with vodka. I'm told in Russia they'll have a small glass of vodka with snacks like that, and heavy-on-the-garlic garlic bread.

It's no wonder there's no such thing as a Russian kiss.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Sizone posted:

ten loving pounds. dude, the fermentation gasses will ignite the next time he turns his oven up to FIVE HUNNED

You don't even know son, I usedta buy the BIG TUBS at the ol Korean market, like the stuip BIG TUBS

They were like two dollers more than the sane tubs so I got them BIG TUBS

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I bought some real long metal chopsticks to eat the kimchee outta the BIG TUBS and that was their only purpose

I like pickles

I like KIMGCHHE BIG TUBS

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Sizone posted:

If you meet the Buddha upon the forums kill him

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
and bury him with tubs

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

Overwined posted:

To crib a music review I read once:

Sardines are dadfood for people too broken to have kids.

also, too broke to have kids

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

What is kimchi like??? I've wanted to try it. I trust your judgement

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

The Snoo posted:

It's hot and tangy and funky. I really like it, but it's best as a condiment/accompaniment to other similar foods.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

The Snoo posted:

You know how people like to eat sauerkraut with meat

Imagine if the sauerkraut already had meat taste

plus a little ginger and a little spice (despite its appearance most Korean food including kimchi is not very spicy)

I like it a lot but not as much as Koreans do.

Also I think its best when it's still fairly new. Kimchi can be eaten at any stage of its fermentation and I like it most when it just starts to sour -- at this point there aren't very many bubbles around. If you wait after that eventually it can get almost as fizzy as soda pop. Then after that no more fizz but its really sour and pretty nap. This process takes 3-4 weeks in the fridge if you buy it fairly new from the store. If you only have that jar poo poo with the lid with the pressure seal from like Safeway to buy I wouldn't bother it's too far gone already and won't work out. Here is my graph of after I buy a BIG TUB of kimchi how much of it I eat

raton fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 20, 2016

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

kimchi doesnt taste like freakin meat

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

This evening, KO notified me of winning their Valentine's contest.

... a Royal Taster kit will be en route soon. KO dines are best dines.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Bitchkrieg posted:

This evening, KO notified me of winning their Valentine's contest.

... a Royal Taster kit will be en route soon. KO dines are best dines.

Sup fellow KO VD winner
:tipshat::hf::chef:

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
Did they give different tiers of prizes for this contest or just giving everybody something? I got code KO V-DAY which is a coupon I think.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Sheep-Goats posted:

If you meet the Buddha upon the forums kill him

I did, he knew how to whip

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

The Snoo posted:

if you put some lemon juice on it it is fantastic. also, kimchee describes a -wide- variety of korean pickled...stuff... everything from, like, sweet cucumbers, to seawead and rocks. you probably mean red, won bok kimchee, which is fermented napa cabbage with chili pepper and a little fish sauce. it's good, real good, just remember the lemon juice.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Kimchi is good, but there's a lot of mediocre-to-bad stuff out there. Restaurants don't often bring out the good stuff, either.

Best commercial stuff I've had is from a little hole in the wall Korean market where they make it on site. If that's not a possibility, try ~multiple~ Asian stores. I've generally noticed that the bigger the jar and the bigger the store selection often the better the stuff. Don't bargain hunt for it. Little jars sold at general food stores are often overpriced and too young or too old.

Someday, gonna make my own, but I have too ready access to good enough stuff already.

I'm taking the pains to say all this because crap kimchi will bounce you off the stuff faster than Bumblebee sardines.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

doctorfrog posted:

Kimchi is good, but there's a lot of mediocre-to-bad stuff out there. Restaurants don't often bring out the good stuff, either.

Best commercial stuff I've had is from a little hole in the wall Korean market where they make it on site. If that's not a possibility, try ~multiple~ Asian stores. I've generally noticed that the bigger the jar and the bigger the store selection often the better the stuff. Don't bargain hunt for it. Little jars sold at general food stores are often overpriced and too young or too old.

Someday, gonna make my own, but I have too ready access to good enough stuff already.

I'm taking the pains to say all this because crap kimchi will bounce you off the stuff faster than Bumblebee sardines.

Greenland Supermarket in Vegas (a Korean one) has a few really good varieties that come in BIG TUBS and are really cheap.

They're probably trucked in from LA but whatever.

I also used to get it from a Korean supermarket on 82nd in Portland when I lived there. And a little Korean market in Woodside in NY.

Here we've got one really overpriced Korean restaurant that has okay kimchee and NOTHING ELSE

I fukken hate it

Thunder God Biden
Sep 8, 2004

Israel is not a legitimate entity, and no amount of pressure can force us to recognize its right to exist.

Are these KO contests only available on facebook or something? I don't have/want facebook...

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

d_redguy posted:

Are these KO contests only available on facebook or something? I don't have/want facebook...

Yeah, this.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
has anyone else had sea asparagus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kimchi fried rice with a slice of spam and a fried egg is heavenly.