Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

ICR, restart the 110.

No way, I already did everything I wanted to accomplish in the 110. Qualify, get paired up against someone vastly better than me, then fizzle out in an excessively long round. Mission accomplished! Cosmic today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Omega changes are gonna own. Please just think differently.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
https://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/comment/3412170#Comment_3412170

paid professional posted:

We are aware of the issues and are working on resolving it. Will update as I know more.

We are closing the login servers again for the time being while we are working on the issue.

good game

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

probably a focus on secondary effects and weird procs and stuff instead of straight DR now?

weren't there some cool procs scattered around before? would stacking a ton of those be good or effective?

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Unfortunately the latest patch has introduced a xenusparadox to the buiilding so the Gazillion offices have had to be evacuated while Thomas Jane is on the radio trying to talk him down.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

I can't parse the levels of irony in this thread :saddowns:

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Kelp Plankton posted:

weren't there some cool procs scattered around before? would stacking a ton of those be good or effective?

Obviously they'll be nerfed down to 1dr per omega equivalent.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Kelp Plankton posted:

probably a focus on secondary effects and weird procs and stuff instead of straight DR now?

:laugh:

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

look i gotta have something to use these omega points on if i ever play this game again and i dont see yall trying to figure out our options :colbert:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

there's like at least eight layers of it

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kelp Plankton posted:

look i gotta have something to use these omega points on if i ever play this game again and i dont see yall trying to figure out our options :colbert:

Dazzler.

7500 points in Dazzler.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the ninth layer of irony hell is mentioning future fight

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Whatever doesn't fit into melt face you can just dump into Arcane Atunement or SHIELD uniform.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

there is no irony or joking in this thread, everyone is serious all the time

if you cant handle that maybe you should play Avengers Academy instead

thats what i do

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Kelp Plankton posted:

there is no irony or joking in this thread, everyone is serious all the time

if you cant handle that maybe you should play Avengers Academy instead

thats what i do

Future Fight. You mean...

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

um future fight doesnt have dating mechanics? or The Hulk voiced by John Cena? or gameplay consisting entirely of waiting for timers to end and then setting more timers? why would anyone play that

avengers academy has all these things and more

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Am I reading this wrong? 1 dr per no matter what you spend it on sounds pretty okay - you still get the DR but now you can focus on other fun stuff as well, and no drop in total DR that people were worrying about unless I'm reading it wrong and 7500 omegas spent doesn't equal +7500 DR

I, for one, welcome our new Dazzler overlords

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

GET HYPE BABY BECAUSE ITS HAPPENING!! FINALLY THE GREAT ONE HAS COME BACK TO MARVIN HIPPOS.

GET LEWD BOYS

YASSSSSSSSSSSS YES YES YES YES YES YES

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kelp Plankton posted:

or gameplay consisting entirely of waiting for timers to end and then setting more timers? why would anyone play that

It still kind of is, just with punching instead of hot tubbing and doing the Charleston.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

This game is kickin rad awesome and Gaz is the group of professionals that a Marvel IP based PC game deserves. Praise the Sun God and COSMIC TODAY

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

nerfing the apocalypse node is probably the funniest thing that could have come out of a possible omega rework, in this or any other, stranger universe

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
I'm preordering goblin if his second outfit is Spiderman: Turn Off the Dark Green Goblin

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

Mover posted:

nerfing the apocalypse node is probably the funniest thing that could have come out of a possible omega rework, in this or any other, stranger universe

there is a situation where apocalypse was worth taking

you just needed 20k omegas

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nerfing Apocalypse was a Marvel mandate.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

folks, and i can't state this strongly enough, you GOTTA max that terrigenesis

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

YASSSSSSSSSSSS YES YES YES YES YES YES

re Omegas, Apocalypse maxes yout TTC cos you can dump a huge chunk of omegas in just one mouseclick, saving both time and wear and tear on your equipment.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

(But really it's because of the overweighted mainstats in their nonsense budget.)

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Grabbing apocalypse and shift clicking warpath is my pro leveling omega build since it requires so few clicks.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Found a new top build for Colonossus from a person who plays Meever Hyquils 2017.

http://marvelheroes.info/build/35493/

61 Durability owns.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Also goons, don't forget your Wild 110 submissions! I've got a handful now and look forward to seeing the results:

Cosmic Doom term
2 chests
All bosses killed
No ultimates allowed

Good luck!

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
is symbiote racon on the tc or live I can't quite figure it out

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Neither can gaz, the only answer is the one you find when you look into your heart

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
its vital because I made a promise to reinstall when the stupid costume came out and not a moment sooner

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

in that case it's definitely live right now

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Ryolnir posted:

We're shooting to patch tomorrow morning at 6AM, which is as soon as we can due to also trying to fix the database issues causing disconnects until late tonight.

The patch has to be tested to ensure it's good to go, and we'll let you know when it's confirmed.
:rip: Tuesday patch.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Found a new top build for Colonossus from a person who plays Meever Hyquils 2017.

http://marvelheroes.info/build/35493/

61 Durability owns.

i like to call that the adorability build

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Metrohunter posted:

its vital because I made a promise to reinstall when the stupid costume came out and not a moment sooner

GRANDIO DID YOU GET MY EMAILS?

I was asking you to return to Mr. Gaz. This is a great day!

Have you updated your known_controller_users.txt? We have a lot.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

MichaelMayhem posted:

Hello all. Today, we're talking about the Omega system - the changes we're making, why we're making them, and what the future of the system holds.

Accelerate to Light Speed

First and foremost, we wanted to address one of the primary issues for newer players approaching the Omega system.

The Problem

The power offered by the Omega system is vast, as reflected by our internal metrics (and simply playing the game). Players with zero omega are very far behind players with 7500 Omegas, and the time investment to get caught up is often too daunting for new players. We want to make this system more approachable, while still making it a long-term goal and achievement for veteran players.

The Solution

When these changes are introduced, the amount of Experience required to reach the next Omega point will be curved. When you have zero Omega Points, you will find the total is quite low, and you will be showered in points very rapidly to get you started in the system. The more you accrue, the more experience the next point will require, just like leveling heroes. Additionally, this allows a player new to the system to spend points much faster since you will need multiple points, and thus be able to participate in the system.

Due to this change, the amount of Omega experience currently accrued by each player now should represent a new total of Omega points. If you had just 1 Omega point before, that may well be enough Experience to have earned you 25 in the new system. As such, we are performing a one-time grandfathering of all current accounts and recalculating your current total. If you should have acquired more points, you'll log in and find them added to your account and ready to spend, free of charge.

Important Note - The absolute total amount of Experience to reach 7500 Omega Points will still be exactly equal to what it was prior to the patch.

Also as a result of this update, how we utilize and operate 'Omega Orbs' has to change. 1 Omega Point is now widely variable in terms of how much Experience is required to earn it, so an Omega Orb can no longer grant just 1 Point, or there would be incentive to hold Omega Orb Cases until the tail end of the system to maximize their value. That has more than a few problems - mainly that it gives a major advantage to players "in the know" and players who use them early or had already used them end up losing out.

Omega Orbs (granted by Achievement cases and such) earned after the patch will now give exactly the former amount of Experience required to earn 1 Omega Point, which means they may give several Points if used early, but may not be enough to earn 1 full point if you already have a lot of points.

Sensible Totals

The next set of changes involves the maximum number of points a given node can hold.

The Problem

When the system was first created, there wasn't a priority on balancing the total number of points any node could have, which created some balance issues later on. When a single type of stat can consume a majority of points, the builds become too similar across a wider variety of heroes than it should be. As the game evolves, certain stats can become better than others, and the Omega system didn't offer equal balance for stats due to some nodes having incredibly high point caps. This also created other issues, such as some nodes being impossible to cap simply due to the number of points required to get there, plus the number of points required to cap it. Obviously this is less than ideal and can create frustration when trying to use the system.

The Solution

Many nodes (specifically, nodes that can have more than 1000 points placed into them) have been reduced in either their maximum rank, or points per rank in order to reduced the total number of points spent on the node. There will still be some exceptions to this, but for the most part, no single node should be able to sink more than about 1000 points. This allows Omega builds to have more diversity by way of not allowing 'best in slot' nodes to consume a vast majority of the player's available points - after capping that node, you are now open to exploring other avenues of power, which will differ more from build to build. Almost everyone takes Warpath, and that's probably still going to be true - but the nodes taken afterwards will differ much more.
Too Much Math

Next up to bat was the "value per point" equation.

The Problem

The Omega system's nodes often containing diminishing returns on the cost per rank per node, but without incrementing the value of the stats for that rank. If "Mayhem's Node" grants 10 health per rank, but costs (10 + 10 * X), where X is the current rank, every rank after the first starts making the "value per point" go down. Rank 2 gives you 10 Health for 30 points, then Rank 3 gives you 10 Health for 40 points, and it just gets worse and worse after that. This makes the Omega system difficult to calculate for most players, and makes investing in nodes feel less rewarding (by literally making them less rewarding).

The Solution

Diminishing returns are dead. All nodes are costed strictly to their value per rank, which should make spending points a breeze. There are some exceptions for non-scaling components of nodes where the initial rank may be higher in cost than future ranks. If Rank 1 of Mayhem's Node gives +1 Strength and +20 Health, but every Rank afterwards gives just the +20 health, rank 1 will cost more than each rank thereafter. Ranks 2 through the cap will all cost the same though, as each one gives the same benefits.

An important thing to note here is that many rank 1 values may look more expensive at first glance when first reallocating your Omega points. This is expected as many had harsh diminishing returns. In almost all cases, the total number of points to reach the cap went down, and the new average was applied to all ranks, which may have been higher than the old rank 1 value (but less than, say, ranks 4 through 20).

Intergalactic Planetary

With these changes, we've also introduced a new page - Intergalactic Exploration!

The primary purpose of this page was to resolve some of the imbalances between certain stats that had less representation in the Omega system in the other pages. You'll find extra nodes that offer stats such as Deflect Rating and Speed, as well as nodes specified towards builds such as Damage Type Hybrid and Melee/Ranged Hybrid. These were all underrepresented in the rest of the system, and the overall total potential for all stats should be more in balance now.

Raise the Roof

Perhaps the most anticipated change among the Omega system is the raising of the Omega cap! The number is still in debate, but will be at least an extra 2,500, bringing the total to 10,000. This gives every build some new room to grow and explore, finding new ways to optimize their build. It also brings the Omega Cap to OVER 9,000! - which was very important to us for some reason or another.

When are they coming?

These Omega system updates will be available for testing when Green Goblin hits public Test Center, and will go live with the February major update.

We're very excited to be addressing this system's architecture in a big way, and are equally excited to hear your thoughts and feedback.
Omegles everywhere.

MMAgCh fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 20, 2016

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Noooo! I just finished grinding. I dun wanna farm out another 2k+ points!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I hope they are being literal on that Omega Boxes = Experience thing, because I'd love to start burning some of my dozens in a new box prestige.

• Locked thread