Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Mind linking to your game?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/missingworldsmedia/the-phoenix-project-city-of-titans/posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_dLm9JcogQ
Working on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Gilganixon posted:

this is an obscene amount of work to pour into a terrible garbage game

Still a much better use of the assets. Best use them for what they where intended (Sci-fi movie or animatio) instead of a poorly conceived video game.

:five:

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 20, 2016

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dusty Lens posted:

Don't Starve will not permit you to think of anything save the coming winter and your desperate lack of twigs.

That or do squats until one pain cancels out the other. The Stimpire way.

Is Don't Starve good? I like the idea of these survival type games but there are so many I don't know what to do

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

CashEnsign posted:

This guy is a goon right? I mean would anyone seriously accuse goons of running a downvote not? Holy poo poo effort

It was Dolvak that made the accusation though he left it in the air who the people running the bot where.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

A Neurotic Jew posted:

my useless CIG trivia for the day is that Lesnick, Lando and Toast all live in the same building.

Imagine the carpool

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

I loaded up Star Citizen and Line of Defence tonight so you can blame them for this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VytIwkBplPs

strangely poignant

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

alf_pogs posted:

strangely poignant

Ha ha yeah, I'm not pretending it's good or anything, I just needed a change :)

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

peter gabriel posted:

Is Don't Starve good? I like the idea of these survival type games but there are so many I don't know what to do

it is on the first few play trough. The art, sound and game play are good but the replay value is limited, once you know the game mechanics survival become more trivial and with enough time you can reach a point where you have ample reserve of everything. It is however one of the few survival game that feel "complete" and not something eternally in early access. My recommendation would be to get it on sale or as a humble pack.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

peter gabriel posted:

I personally believe that it is very good. There are a billion survival games out there but Don't Starve is a very well constructed core game built atop beautiful art and a fantastically odd world. The mechanics do a very good job of balancing your need to provision yourself against freeing you to explore, which in turn generally better equips you to explore further afield in an environment that's constantly shifting the risk and reward without relying on some kind of 'high art' gimmick or somesuch that most survival games that have saturated the market.

Also it's not in early access, which is a rare jewel in an age of poverty in its own right. Plus if you think you enjoy it enough and you have a few people that you really dislike but haven't yet found a good reason to hate there's a good and cool multiplayer version.

e; It's also only $15. So the risk isn't that extreme.

Dusty Lens fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 20, 2016

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'll give it a go thanks!

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Star Citizen has soured me on the idea of crowdfunding and early access in genneral

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

BeefThief posted:

Star Citizen has soured me on the idea of crowdfunding and early access in genneral

Same, but for video games overall as well as the concept of outer space

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

Same, but for video games overall as well as the concept of outer space

I would agree if I hadn't discovered Elite and Kerbal Space Program because of this fiasco. I believe good space games can be made in the 21st century, just not by Chris Roberts.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

BeefThief posted:

I would agree if I hadn't discovered Elite and Kerbal Space Program because of this fiasco. I believe good space games can be made in the 21st century, just not by Chris Roberts.

Space Engineers is a game where you turn your imagination into piles of embarrassing garbage that crash into asteroids but it's also good and technically a space game.

But it's also early access and thereby something to fear and revile.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Parias posted:

hi everyone what's going on in this thread :cool:

For the last few months I've been tearing apart the leaked (moddable) alpha build of SC with four primary objectives:

* Make the Constellation flyable in a build the "public" actually has access to (note: this project started before 2.0 came out, but this also uses the "old" Constellation, not the revamped one)
* Make a fun story using a combination of mission scripting edits and post-processing witchcraft, using completely original footage of a heavily modded (if buggy) game environment to capture the kind of situations I hope Star Citizen can one day pull off
* Put this goon's amazing voice in the game
* Sneak a Goonrathi logo in somewhere (you'll know it when you see it)

After an insane amount of effort (and an even more insane amount of generosity from the aforementioned goon voice-actor (3 / Arkimedes) in churning out all the dumb lines I sent him and making them actually sound awesome), I've finally accomplished all four of these objectives! I'd love to hear what you guys think :)

Introducing: Flight of the Constellation v2.0! (v2.0 because this one's way more awesome and ambitious than the first one)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mkgfJ9ltEs

Extra special thanks to Beer for providing inspiration and pointing me in 3's direction.

Question, why does the helmet vibrate

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

Skellybones posted:

Because Star Citizen is a jittery piece of poo poo.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Skellybones posted:

it's the massager feature, being a star citizen is quite headache inducing you see

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

star citizen has soured me on the idea of dreams

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Happy Sisyphus posted:

star citizen has soured me on the idea of dreams

At least we'll always have Star Marine

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

Yes

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

BeefThief posted:

At least we'll always have Star Marine

:911:

Parias
Jul 17, 2000

My Generosity is again
LEGENDARY!

Skellybones posted:

This build had a ton of loving bugs. That bloopers bit at the end doesn't even begin to cover the misery I went through trying to get this working. Since it was apparently compiled with a codebase more geared towards a Star Marine demo rather than proper space combat this doesn't surprise me. I think this build was also before they got all the 64-bit stuff working, and I had spawned the Constellation at some pretty distant coordinates.

Pretty much all the problems I ran into have long since been fixed of course. I'd have killed to make this on a much newer build without so many blatant bugs, but CIG moved uber-fast to lock down our ability to mod the game right after the leak came out. I've asked if we can get some kind of multiplayer-disabling option to re-enable mod support (i.e. PAK signing requirement) for the sake of us machinima people who try and promote the game but keep getting told no :( I get that it's too early in development to really think about that stuff anyways, but at the same time would it really be the end of the world if they spent a bit of extra time coding a feature to disable the PAK signing requirement if a "/devmode" parameter was passed or something? Who knows, maybe that would be super-hard to put in right now given the ever-evolving codebase.

Someone did send me some tips on using Cheat Engine to allow customized files that might work with the newer builds though. Might explore that at some point.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6380518/#Comment_6380518

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6380834/#Comment_6380834

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
It's wierd considering a game like Freelancer only survived because of mods.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

ganking? numbers game?? IN MY PVP!?!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
I hope I won't see that stuff and not for selfish reasons, because in the worst case I can just go and play on a private server

Parias
Jul 17, 2000

My Generosity is again
LEGENDARY!

Fargin Icehole posted:

I think mod support is still the long-term plan (for now...) but they're probably pretty focused on getting their anti-cheat stuff in order while the game's still in an early stage. Makes sense I suppose but it's annoying that they're totally inflexible about it when we could use modding to do a bunch of cool stuff to make the game funner while waiting for them to get their poo poo together.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

peter gabriel posted:

I loaded up Star Citizen and Line of Defence tonight so you can blame them for this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VytIwkBplPs

My favorite part was the frogspace-court cameo.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Parias posted:

This build had a ton of loving bugs. That bloopers bit at the end doesn't even begin to cover the misery I went through trying to get this working. Since it was apparently compiled with a codebase more geared towards a Star Marine demo rather than proper space combat this doesn't surprise me. I think this build was also before they got all the 64-bit stuff working, and I had spawned the Constellation at some pretty distant coordinates.

Pretty much all the problems I ran into have long since been fixed of course. I'd have killed to make this on a much newer build without so many blatant bugs, but CIG moved uber-fast to lock down our ability to mod the game right after the leak came out. I've asked if we can get some kind of multiplayer-disabling option to re-enable mod support (i.e. PAK signing requirement) for the sake of us machinima people who try and promote the game but keep getting told no :( I get that it's too early in development to really think about that stuff anyways, but at the same time would it really be the end of the world if they spent a bit of extra time coding a feature to disable the PAK signing requirement if a "/devmode" parameter was passed or something? Who knows, maybe that would be super-hard to put in right now given the ever-evolving codebase.

Someone did send me some tips on using Cheat Engine to allow customized files that might work with the newer builds though. Might explore that at some point.

What about turning off the helmet overlay and then adding a static overlay in video editing?

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

Parias posted:

hi everyone what's going on in this thread :cool:

For the last few months I've been tearing apart the leaked (moddable) alpha build of SC with four primary objectives:

* Make the Constellation flyable in a build the "public" actually has access to (note: this project started before 2.0 came out, but this also uses the "old" Constellation, not the revamped one)
* Make a fun story using a combination of mission scripting edits and post-processing witchcraft, using completely original footage of a heavily modded (if buggy) game environment to capture the kind of situations I hope Star Citizen can one day pull off
* Put this goon's amazing voice in the game
* Sneak a Goonrathi logo in somewhere (you'll know it when you see it)

After an insane amount of effort (and an even more insane amount of generosity from the aforementioned goon voice-actor (3 / Arkimedes) in churning out all the dumb lines I sent him and making them actually sound awesome), I've finally accomplished all four of these objectives! I'd love to hear what you guys think :)

Introducing: Flight of the Constellation v2.0! (v2.0 because this one's way more awesome and ambitious than the first one)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mkgfJ9ltEs

Extra special thanks to Beer for providing inspiration and pointing me in 3's direction.

Lol how much of your life did you waste on this?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Fargin Icehole posted:

I'm fairly certain that Chris isn't the kind of guy who's super excited to see the modding community 'fix' his game in their own images.

At this point the oniy thing I find more ludicrous that SC's eventual release is the idea that it'll be friendly to modders.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
pretty proud of these.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
The phrase "you dont understand game development" is starting to give me nosebleeds

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

unequivocal
inexorable
:lesnick: :lesnick:

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Parias posted:

I think mod support is still the long-term plan (for now...)
Oh, my sweet summer child :allears:

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
is it possible that literally every star citizen is paying for their jpegs with government assistance and also were born and raised in the thickets by woodland animals? I'm asking because I don't understand how any of them function in a work-place without a concept of deadlines or accountability or good organization. Or even write a paper for school or something.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

A Neurotic Jew posted:

my useless CIG trivia for the day is that Lesnick, Lando and Toast all live in the same building.

It's what happens when you force a bunch of your employees to move to a very expensive, to live in, city.

That, or CIG actually keeps it's employees in barracks.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

Parias posted:

I think mod support is still the long-term plan (for now...) but they're probably pretty focused on getting their anti-cheat stuff in order while the game's still in an early stage. Makes sense I suppose but it's annoying that they're totally inflexible about it when we could use modding to do a bunch of cool stuff to make the game funner while waiting for them to get their poo poo together.

you like star citizen?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Happy Sisyphus posted:

you like star citizen?

I feel like his posts are windows into a parallel universe where this thread is still a hugbox it's really strange

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Parias posted:

The page number and Star Citizen's proposed modding support have something in common.

• Locked thread