Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

It's okay to hate the show, but making up references is really loving strange. They were not referencing Archer. :psydyck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Drifter posted:

It's okay to hate the show, but making up references is really loving strange. They were not referencing Archer. :psydyck:

No you see because here is my 1000 word essay on why LoT is ripping off a 3 minute segment from 5 years ago...
:goonsay:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think he was saying this torture scene which we're supposed to take seriously is pretty similar to another torture scene that is a joke.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I really like Arrow and The Flash.

I LOVE Legends of Tomorrow. It hits the comic book itch perfectly. I really don't dislike anyone on the team, though there's some really notable standouts. Hell, I even dig Stein's monotone chastisement of pretty much everyone ever.

I just wish that Rip had collected a few pieces of Savage after blowing him up. Let's see how Savage conquers the world if he's missing an arm and his lungs.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I kind of had a real problem with Snart's characterization this episode. He's all 'never leave a man behind' and 'I don't betray my team mates' but in his first appearance on Flash he iced a fellow thief on his 'team' because he freaked out when the Flash showed up and wanted to quit. He killed Deathbolt when he was about to kill the Flash even though he was the one who told him and other metas to attack him, etc. Just really uneven, though I guess if you never watched Flash you wouldn't know.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

greatn posted:

I think he was saying this torture scene which we're supposed to take seriously is pretty similar to another torture scene that is a joke.

Someone gets it! :neckbeard:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

FELD1 posted:

Literally the only character I don't like at this point is Kendra.

Kendra is a million times better without Carter constantly creeping on her and I think she'll come into her own nicely once they actually give her some extended action on one of the weekly rotating teams.

Then again I'm a sucker for girls with wings :shobon:

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I like how each time Rip confronts Savage, Rip drops more and more personal information for Savage to remember & act upon.
Half expecting Rip to give out DOB's for his family during next encounter with Savage.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

I like how each time Rip confronts Savage, Rip drops more and more personal information for Savage to remember & act upon.
Half expecting Rip to give out DOB's for his family during next encounter with Savage.

"I will never allow you to be in that field on April 27, 2166 when you killed my family!"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That would be an amazing twist actually. Rip Hunter isn't his real name and that locket isn't pictures of his actual family. He's feeding Savage fake intel a decade at a time to set a trap.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

greatn posted:

That would be an amazing twist actually. Rip Hunter isn't his real name and that locket isn't pictures of his actual family. He's feeding Savage fake intel a decade at a time to set a trap.

I was thinking more that Rip going back in time to stop Vandal is instrumental in Vandal taking over the world in 2166. It would be a Terminator (1) type closed-loop paradox.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Could somebody gif the part where Ray looks to Mick for help in the prison yard and Mick is just lovingly staring at the flame from the lighter.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Longbaugh01 posted:

I truly and honestly am not sure why people bag on this show as much as they do. It has its missteps, but the performances alone have been worth it.

It's so great! They've got so much freedom to play and show us cool things.

The one thing I'm worried about is that they may be setting things up for a potential Sara/Rip romance and I'm very much not into that at all.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

XboxPants posted:

The one thing I'm worried about is that they may be setting things up for a potential Sara/Rip romance and I'm very much not into that at all.

They apparently cast Ali Liebert as a love interest for Sara. She's "a 1950s housewife with a dark secret: she's a lesbian." That doesn't rule a Sara/Rip romance out per say, but...

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Rip is on a mission to avenge his recently killed wife and child. It would be a little soon for him to jump back into a romance plot. With only 8 episodes left for the show, I don't think we will see any romance within the team.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

TyrantWD posted:

Rip is on a mission to avenge his recently killed wife and child. It would be a little soon for him to jump back into a romance plot. With only 8 episodes left for the show, I don't think we will see any romance within the team.

I don't know. Ray and Rory seem to be developing some serious guy love.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Burning_Monk posted:

I don't know. Ray and Rory seem to be developing some serious guy love.

Mick looking at the flames while Ray was getting his rear end beat was pure subtext.

Oh Ray, you poor innocent man. THere's gonna be a lot of 'funny hugs' in your future.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

greatn posted:

Yeah except that it wasn't.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Senerio posted:

They apparently cast Ali Liebert as a love interest for Sara. She's "a 1950s housewife with a dark secret: she's a lesbian." That doesn't rule a Sara/Rip romance out per say, but...

Hooooly poo poo that description, wow. Maybe... maybe they should have come up with another way to phrase that. I get the social context of the 1950s, but even still.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
What makes the torture scene in Archer funny is that it takes a serious situation and then makes it ridiculous. A guy is tied up by his hands and electrocuted. That's not funny. What's funny is when you find out that it's training mission set up by the guy's mom, who is also his boss and gave him the codename "Duchess" after her beloved dead dog. That's the funny part.

So the humor in the Archer scene has zero effect on the seriousness of the Legends of Tomorrow scene.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

XboxPants posted:

Hooooly poo poo that description, wow. Maybe... maybe they should have come up with another way to phrase that. I get the social context of the 1950s, but even still.

I admit I paraphrased it because my memory is poo poo at the best of times.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
This is definitely my favorite Arrowverse show right now. Now, if they could only make the main bad guy not job so hard every episode... hopefully they'll get someone more threatening next season.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

greatn posted:

"Really, Ms Lance, wouldn't you start calling yourself 'Rip Hunter' if your parents had named you 'Booster Gold'?"

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
It's too bad Flash has so little to do with this show, the Russian lady was exactly the right levels of hot, crazy, and Soviet to be turned into Lady Flash.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jack of Hearts posted:

It's too bad Flash has so little to do with this show, the Russian lady was exactly the right levels of hot, crazy, and Soviet to be turned into Lady Flash.

Yeah, let's just get a whiny little mope-bitch superhero-retard stuck on the show. loving Barry.

Snart and cameo appearances from Cisco are the only Flash parts this show needs. Mick's cool-ish, but Snart's the only thing we NEED.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

pentyne posted:

Seriously, between the writing and the cast chemistry this is good even when its bad. I really hope it gets a second season or something to keep this group together. Maybe "Rip Hunter's Time Team" or something where they fight some of the Golden Age completely bonkers DC enemies jazzed up to be legit threats.

Hell, they name-checked Per Degaton in Rip's first scene with the Time Master council. He'd be a great villain for a second season of this stuff. (For those of you not up on your comics: imagine Hitler with a time machine.)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

WarLocke posted:

I was thinking more that Rip going back in time to stop Vandal is instrumental in Vandal taking over the world in 2166. It would be a Terminator (1) type closed-loop paradox.

The opening murder scene DID have a "coward like your father" line, which could be a random taunt about him not being there but takes a new context with all this time-hopping.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Jack of Hearts posted:

Soviet Volcana Soviet Volcana Soviet Volcana

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Catching up, and

"This isn't my first prison break."

:allears: I love these shows.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Krad posted:

This is definitely my favorite Arrowverse show right now. Now, if they could only make the main bad guy not job so hard every episode... hopefully they'll get someone more threatening next season.

I'm a little skeptical about whether we will get another season. Given that it's an expensive show set in the Arrowverse, it is something of a flop in the ratings. The pilot premiered at a figure that would be an all time series low for the Flash, so it seems the viewers were never too interested in the concept to begin with. The show dipped below Arrow now, which just involves the cast spending 80% of the episode sitting around the same 3 sets and chatting. LoT may still be the 3rd highest rated show for the CW, but for the cost they could probably pick up another single titular hero show that would almost certainly deliver better ratings.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

TyrantWD posted:

, but for the cost they could probably pick up another single titular hero show that would almost certainly deliver better ratings.

The Snart Files.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Jack of Hearts posted:

I would totally let them off the hook if the writers said that her explosion gave her speed force powers (?somehow?) and also knocked her forward through time into the year 2016 (????somehow????).

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It's average is right around a 1 in the key demo, which is tied with Arrow for second on the CW. So the ratings are good enough to warrant a renewal.

e: which is all stuff already said. Still, I don't think a "singular" cape show would be appreciably cheaper, and I don't think that will enter into the renew/cancel decision.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

howe_sam posted:

It's average is right around a 1 in the key demo, which is tied with Arrow for second on the CW. So the ratings are good enough to warrant a renewal.

e: which is all stuff already said. Still, I don't think a "singular" cape show would be appreciably cheaper, and I don't think that will enter into the renew/cancel decision.

It dipped below Arrow to 0.8 this week. I'd expect any other DC show they attempt to do better than that.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
They seem to maybe, and already, be planning to do a whole new (or different) team roster for a second season if there is one, so that would be a way to cut costs, and they might scale back the scope.

Then again, that sucks because the current cast is the best part :(

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

TyrantWD posted:

It dipped below Arrow to 0.8 this week. I'd expect any other DC show they attempt to do better than that.

Arrow did a .9 this week, that's not really all that much better.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

TyrantWD posted:

Eh honestly these are fairly good ratings for CW. Flash is the only show that can typical average a 1.2 on that network.

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
Sara is the worst assassin.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Cute n Popular posted:

Sara is the worst assassin.

That's like kinda the point of why she wanted out of the League.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I think that the show doing half seasons will help get it renewed for longer than it would otherwise. Despite the higher special effects and costuming budget that (I assume) this show requires, it helps that there are less episodes to actually write and film.

• Locked thread