Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Shaquin posted:

Indeed in the era of the collapsing middle class it's totally possible to still be middle class guys you just have to orchestrate every decision in your life inhumanly flawlessly from conception to collegiate graduation
nah just the important ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

nomadologique posted:

ya but there's a way to split the difference btw "move to bumfuck where cost of living is bottomed out but there are no jobs and everything is depressed" and "move to san francisco, the worst bubble in the USA, for a minimum wage job you know in advance is below living wage"

No I'm pretty sure this minimum wage job at second rate grubhub in SF was the only opportunity she had, so it's good and cool that she rented a single apartment for 80% of her expected income and maxed out her credit card to move there

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Why would someone want to move to SF?

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Ideally, she would be able to go back in time and abort herself

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Ideally, she would be able to go back in time and abort herself

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Getting roommates: an inhumanly precise decision.

etalian posted:

Why would someone want to move to SF?

You couldn't get me to do it unless I was getting a six-figure salary. At least.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

quote:

I left college, having majored in English literature, with a dream to work in media.

maybe major in media production you loving moron jesus christ

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
I'm glad there are legions of computer janitors ready to tell everyone things are fine when someone is having a hard time economically no matter the circumstances or case. And have an arsenal of semi reasonable sounding but no less gymnastic rebuttals when it's about everything being broken from the ground up and not hot tips on how to make it work.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I have a plan to fix the broken system. Here it is:

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Fried Watermelon posted:

So she makes $733.24 bi-weekly and $1245 a month is for rent.

Thats 221.48 left.

She pays $11.30 a day for transit, assuming she works 5 days a week thats $226 a month for transit.

So shes already at -$4.52 before even counting FOOD and any other sort of bill.

How the gently caress do you even consider that a smart move

I get the feeling she moved to San Francisco with big starry dreams and handwaved away the massive debt she was piling on by thinking that she'll make it big in the writing/tech industry and this is all just the sacrifices she has to make to get there. In reality, she moved to an expensive city to get a minimum wage job that can't cover her expenses and just makes her add more debt. It's ridiculous that the minimum wage is so low there that you seriously can't live on it. She's in a lovely situation that she could have and should have avoided.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

DeusExMachinima posted:

Getting roommates: an inhumanly precise decision.

You couldn't get me to do it unless I was getting a six-figure salary. At least.

rofl if you think roommates makes sf affordable, i have 4 and still pay 1k

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Shaquin posted:

I'm glad there are legions of computer janitors ready to tell everyone things are fine when someone is having a hard time economically no matter the circumstances or case. And have an arsenal of semi reasonable sounding but no less gymnastic rebuttals when it's about everything being broken from the ground up and not hot tips on how to make it work.

you sound mad

also where are the legions

things are poo poo and before you make a life altering decision you need to plan for it to be poo poo

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
The tweet is modern literature

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Wait she MOVED to San Fran for a minimum wage job? :psyduck:

Oh my god this fuckin girl

Coming out of college without much more than freelancing and tutoring under my belt, I felt it was fair that I start out working in the customer support section of Yelp/Eat24 before I’d be qualified to transfer to media. Then, after I had moved and got firmly stuck in this apartment with this debt, I was told I’d have to work in support for an entire year before I would be able to move to a different department. A whole year answering calls and talking to customers just for the hope that someday I’d be able to make memes and twitter jokes about food. If you follow me on twitter, which you don’t, you’d know that these are things I already do. But that’s neither here nor there. Let’s get back to the situation at hand, shall we?

How many Twitter followers do you have?

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

FrankieGoes posted:

My dog has over 800 Twitter followers

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Shaquin posted:

There are better hills to die on in the class war than this one, and I'll have you know I generate the garbage that computer janitors have to clean up

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

My dog has over 800 Twitter followers

I bet that's more than this broad, unless she's one of those sorts that follows 2000 people in order to have 800 followers.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
also i donut know why her call center job in sf pays so little, starting wage at my company's member support is 20/hr

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Shaquin posted:

you've totally succeeded in convincing me that everyone working a minimum wage job is actually dead and homeless and also jobs don't exist

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'd have more sympathy for her if her dream job wasn't writing loving tweets.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
Easy boot-strapping move for women with english lit degrees who want to live in san francisco but have no money: marry someone with money.

You're welcome.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

FrankieGoes posted:

pssst I was quoting the girl in the article

I do not really use my twitter account for anything sorry to disappoint :(

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Naerasa posted:

Easy boot-strapping move for women with english lit degrees who want to live in san francisco but have no money: marry someone with money.

You're welcome.

Maybe you should've tweeted this sweet lifehack at her before she was tricked into going into debt to move across the country to work in a call center by a big city Twitter huckster

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
I have really been trying to not get heated and slap fighty in GBS and I hosed that up here. I'm not saying she is deserving of sympathy for her string of ill thought maneuvers but rather that a 20-25 year old should be able to make mistakes and recover from them and the system they are participating in should have the flexibility to allow for that without undergoing a bleak and soul sucking gauntlet. I understand the economic realities of the situation in this country and how they should impact your planning and decisions, but am not apathetic enough to not speak out about how no one should be in this situation in the first place.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Shaquin posted:

I have really been trying to not get heated and slap fighty in GBS and I hosed that up here. I'm not saying she is deserving of sympathy for her string of ill thought maneuvers but rather that a 20-25 year old should be able to make mistakes and recover from them and the system they are participating in should have the flexibility to allow for that without undergoing a bleak and soul sucking gauntlet. I understand the economic realities of the situation in this country and how they should impact your planning and decisions, but am not apathetic enough to not speak out about how no one should be in this situation in the first place.

she's not dead she's going to be loving fine dude. mistakes have consequences, experiencing those consequences is what makes you grow as a person.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Feb 20, 2016

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Shaquin posted:

she wrote a blog post to a ceo of a company

Moltke
May 13, 2009

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

she's going to be loving fine dude

do you promise

Moltke
May 13, 2009
what she needs is a good long hitch in vietnam to build character

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Shaquin posted:

She can always declare bankruptcy and move somewhere cheaper to do freelance tweets

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I wish a high yield nuclear warhead would move to the bay area

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Ginette Reno posted:

I'd have more sympathy for her if her dream job wasn't writing loving tweets.

that's her dream job? way to set the bar high lady, why the hell would she move to san francisco to sit around tweeting all day.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
why cant she just stay at home all day in mobile alabama masturbating retards like i do? whats all this twitter nonsense?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

"waaaaahhhhhhhh"

Moltke
May 13, 2009
downright good fer nuttin city slicker talk is what that is :rolleyes:

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Am i wrong for thinking that she should not have been fired for this letter. That she have the freedom speak this and keep her job. Hell maybe the CEO could have responded and took her down a few pegs and told her to get back to work or leave.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Moltke posted:

why cant she just stay at home all day in mobile alabama masturbating retards like i do? whats all this twitter nonsense?

Are you a woman? And do you have an IQ limit on what you consider a retard, or is it all good as long as the check clears?

Asking for a friend.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

pssst I was quoting the girl in the article

I do not really use my twitter account for anything sorry to disappoint :(

So, zero? Or what? Asl?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Shaquin posted:

Her situation is poo poo and she needs to accept that her dream job of writing funny tweets for a tech company is not a realistic option at this stage of her life (or most people's lives, its pretty heavily luck/nepotism based). She doesn't elaborate into the reason she absolutely have to leave her previous environment other then wanting to die every day but even if that's the case it doesn't mean you burn it to the ground and move to the most expensive city in the country and then get fussy when you have to spend 1 year working customer service before moving up in the company.

The wage is 100% unsustainable for the region unless you live at home with parents and don't pay rent but these are all things most competent adults will take into account before moving across the country for work. The biggest thing to me is her proudly stating she got the job during the first interview. That's not a sign of how stellar of a candidate that she is, but more of how entry-level the job is and how the position is throwing bodies at a problem to brute force solutions not hiring talented minds. On top of that, any job advice site will absolutely tell you not to blow your savings/go into debt to move to a new region and start a new job. Her excitement over getting a new credit card then assuming a huge amount of debt to make the move reeks of immaturity, but tons of people go into huge debt for other stupid reasons so its not that bad. The entire article seems like a spite filled rant because the CEO didn't think her "ironic" suggestions on how to improve the lives of the wageslaves was to be taken seriously so she decides to publicly vent.

But, hey, she was so worried about becoming a cliche as a teacher that going to SF tech was her only reasonable option. That and begging for money on Paypal and Cashsquare.

max4me posted:

Am i wrong for thinking that she should not have been fired for this letter. That she have the freedom speak this and keep her job. Hell maybe the CEO could have responded and took her down a few pegs and told her to get back to work or leave.

There are probably of hundreds of other people like her taking those jobs and risking homelessness to be a part of the tech culture and chasing their dream of getting a sweet gig writing memes or being a social media expert for a soulless tech company.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

Aralan posted:

She can always declare bankruptcy and move somewhere cheaper to do freelance tweets

What fairytale world do you live in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

max4me posted:

She should have been fired long before this for being a completely useless imbecile. Was the firing actually related to the letter? Who knows. What we do know, is that she's really dumb and makes extremely poor decisions and gave away a lot of the companies money by being incompetent. But I guess some people think that being stupid and useless at your minimum wage job should result in getting six months severance so you can move back to rear end in a top hat Indiana and start a new life that you hopefully don't gently caress up as badly.

• Locked thread