Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My new sniper Sharpshooter's nickname turned out to be "Scratch." I don't think that bodes well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

Zoran posted:

Take two grenadiers, one of each type, until late in the game when you have two psions and a collection of scopes and aim PCSs. That's when the explosives fall off in usefulness.

At which point I like to turn them into prox mines, where my salvo grenadier can mine two pods in concealment and stick everyone else on watch so my first two pods of every map get to start every fight near dead with me at full moves.

... I want a mod to smooth out the difficulty I think. Once you're nearing the end of T2 and getting all of the toys, there's no step up to make decent use of them until the last room. Even on L/I, it's still one huge victory lap and every single map becomes murder jenga no matter how you pull the buggers, which is a problem due to how long this bit can last. It doesn't have to be four rookies with no aim punishing for the whole game; maybe a mod to dynamically scale reinforcement sizes and frequency depending on how you're doing (I.E. if your shot and damage averages and wounded counts stay above a certain threshold), or giving some Ays some random perks.

Tough part is doing that without turning it into Long War overwatch boogaloo - that needs to stay discouraged.

E: If I had to pull an answer out of my arse, I would say a couple more classes, make more combinations of skills between them for more hard counters to alien shenanigans and ramp up the force counts and freebie perks depending on performance as above. Which, uh, sounds a bit like Long War so this is why I'm a poo poo ideas guy.

Salt n Reba McEntire fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 20, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

We're getting at least one more class later on down the line so your wish may be granted!

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

Speedball posted:

We're getting at least one more class later on down the line so your wish may be granted!

That will be nice - very much looking forward to what they do with the expansion content; the base game is just so drat good.

Spit-balling ideas, let me know if these are rubbish; I'm feeling like I should make room for the SDK:

- Given how easy it is to game the Avatar counter, perhaps link the alien strength to the counter. So for every two pips, the aliens get a random upgrade - sort of like a dark event, but the player has the choice of letting it ride or removing it when the cumulative effect becomes too much by raiding a facility (chosen from a pool with entries like: +3 to armour, +1 to pod sizes, extra reinforcements, no concealment, pod leaders gain a perk like covering fire or killing zone, etc). The reasoning being that as time goes by the aliens naturally get stronger, and you can either move to counter this or keep the difficulty depending on how busy you are working on other things.

- Alternatively, different kinds of facilities in addition to the regular ones, and tie the upgrades to those. These facilities can be raided, and have a stronger force than usual. The facilities could be: alien air base - either extra reinforcement pod size or count,or a turn penalty to the counter, robotics lab - adds accuracy and defence to turrets and mecs, and grants them a combat perk, munitions factory - adds damage and armour to units, etc etc. Successfully raiding a facility can not only cancel this effect, but provide a short debuff for the next few days, granting more or less the opposite effect (more time / less reinforcements, stat penalties, and so on).

- Some sort of regional perk system where the aliens get bonuses depending on how many resistance cells you contact or how many continents you have covered; sort of like them increasing the threat level depending on how widespread the human resistance becomes, and expansion choices become more than 'I'm going for this facility' or 'I like that perk'.

I dunno, let's see what the expansions add, I guess.

Salt n Reba McEntire fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 20, 2016

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I'm guessing the new class will either be a cyborg type class a la MECs, or it will be a fully mechanical type of soldier that you get after researching Advent MECs and Sectopods and turrets.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yikes, that was a close retaliation mission. Ended up with exactly six civilians left alive. Towards the end, my Ranger ended up trapped between an enraged Berserker and a newly-revealed Faceless. She got crit for 10 damage by the Berserker and the only reason she didn't die is she was like one square outside of the Faceless's movement range.

I could've played that one better, I think.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
yeah or you could have just been messing with your game's ini from day one like anyone who wants actual difficulty has been doing.

increase soldier squad size to 6, 8 with upgrades, give them some slight boosts in most of their stats, let them use a wider range of weapons. then double or triple the amount of enemies and give them all a couple extra hp. need to tweak their lovely starting ai too so they value high cover more and that sort of stuff.

boom now suddenly the game is moderately harder than stock legendary with the difficulty coming from killing the enemies fast enough and overall endurance as opposed to rinky dink 4v4 fights that go on forever because neither side can hit anything.

this is a good starting point, I have made a ton of changes since then and it's basically long war I guess that is what is always ends up as because that's just the better more thought out version of xcom. oh well it's still more fun than the standard game anyway.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Fuzz posted:

I'm guessing the new class will either be a cyborg type class a la MECs, or it will be a fully mechanical type of soldier that you get after researching Advent MECs and Sectopods and turrets.

Really, I could do without MECs over again. A big, clunky dude in over-engineered power armor is fun, but fits in much less with a covert resistance movement and fast-paced missions. Now, upgrading people like with MELD, but instead with implanted electronics... that I could find interesting.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think making your squad bigger makes the game easier, even if you add more aliens that are slightly harder. Xcom soldiers are way stronger than the aliens when they get levels.

The main problem with Xcom 2's vanilla difficulty is that some things are just extremely abusable, and its also set up in a way to favor constant explosion spam over most other options.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

Mr. Unlucky posted:

yeah or you could have just been messing with your game's ini from day one like anyone who wants actual difficulty has been doing.

increase soldier squad size to 6, 8 with upgrades, give them some slight boosts in most of their stats, let them use a wider range of weapons. then double or triple the amount of enemies and give them all a couple extra hp. need to tweak their lovely starting ai too so they value high cover more and that sort of stuff.

boom now suddenly the game is moderately harder than stock legendary with the difficulty coming from killing the enemies fast enough and overall endurance as opposed to rinky dink 4v4 fights that go on forever because neither side can hit anything.

this is a good starting point, I have made a ton of changes since then and it's basically long war I guess that is what is always ends up as because that's just the better more thought out version of xcom. oh well it's still more fun than the standard game anyway.

I don't want to do this. I want to change the curve of the difficulty and add some new tools to act on it, as especially on L/I, it starts high and then just falls off. If I just wanted to add more dudes, I would edit the mission file.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I feel like loot drops are supposed to sort of discourage explosion spam, but I will take not letting one of my soldiers get wounded or killed over hopefully getting loot every single time, and that is the correct choice.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
On the mission where the UFO hunts you, does it literally send reinforcements forever? I've gone 20 rounds now by just making a firing line in front of the ramp, each turn the game drops three reinforcements right in front of me, and I have 10 squadmembers out at once on overwatch who just annihilate them as soon as they hit the ground.

I don't think I can handle fighting a pod and the reinforcements at the same time though.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Kenshin posted:

I feel like loot drops are supposed to sort of discourage explosion spam, but I will take not letting one of my soldiers get wounded or killed over hopefully getting loot every single time, and that is the correct choice.
From what I've seen I only get one loot drop per mission so the moment the (un)lucky alien drops their cargo I raze the earth like napalm on Vietnamese jungles.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
There's also the fact that you can use as many explosions as you want as long as the killing blow isn't one and still get the loot. Grenades are mainly good for starting fights and turning ones in your favor by removing armour and cover. You only use them to finish off enemies when you don't have a better option or absolutely need them dead.

My problem with all the mods that nerf them outright though is the early game is hard enough, and frag grenades and flashbangs are pretty much the only two tools you can use at first. You nerf one of those and suddenly the part of the game that doesn't need a difficulty spike gets worse.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Internet Kraken posted:

There's also the fact that you can use as many explosions as you want as long as the killing blow isn't one and still get the loot. Grenades are mainly good for starting fights and turning ones in your favor by removing armour and cover. You only use them to finish off enemies when you don't have a better option or absolutely need them dead.

My problem with all the mods that nerf them outright though is the early game is hard enough, and frag grenades and flashbangs are pretty much the only two tools you can use at first. You nerf one of those and suddenly the part of the game that doesn't need a difficulty spike gets worse.

Perhaps what the aliens need is some sort of midgame unit which provides some form of cover for its compatriots somehow, similar to Alloy SHIVs did in EU/EW. The Shieldbearers kinda sorta do something like this if you squint but I'm thinking something more like a unit which drops forcefield barricades that count as full cover for Advent forces or have it so that troopers can take cover behind Mecs, something like that.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Fuzz posted:

Yeah I'm guessing It'll be some kind of robotic unit. Probably a smaller MEC that can take cover and use items but levels up really slowly outside of battle (like the Psi Ops)

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Shen's Last Gift will be... computer games.

Zero VGS posted:

On the mission where the UFO hunts you, does it literally send reinforcements forever? I've gone 20 rounds now by just making a firing line in front of the ramp, each turn the game drops three reinforcements right in front of me, and I have 10 squadmembers out at once on overwatch who just annihilate them as soon as they hit the ground.

I don't think I can handle fighting a pod and the reinforcements at the same time though.

I've seen screenshots with well over a hundred dead enemies so yeah I think it's infinite.

My Avenger defense was tonight, as soon as I finished the last two story missions before the Network Tower. (I guess the psionic portal mission is supposed to be your intro to the Gatekeeper, so you go :ohdear: instead of 86% Dominate chance :smug:) Of course the beacon was basically invisible from the area around the LZ due to trees/a car/LOS poo poo. I ended up having to move up and Dominate a Gatekeeper who easily destroyed the beacon. Everyone back on deck, and then Bradford tells me "LEAVE NO MAN BEHIND :byodood:" because of the loving Gatekeeper. I was hoping between the other Gatekeeper, two Codices, Advent trash mobs, and a Snake that they'd take him out, but no, I had to wait for the poor Gatekeeper to wind its way back to the Avenger. Bradford now has to clean up after it ala Sergeant Pinbeck's alien from Dark Star.

Internet Kraken posted:

I can't imagine the early game with nerfed grenades on any difficulty, your soldiers suck and need a reliable source of damage/cover destruction.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Speedball posted:

Wow, demolition is such a nice skill. Sure, it itself does no damage to an enemy, and takes ammo, but it leaves them totally exposed and you don't need to use a precious grenade. On an Advent Officer in high cover, this is a godsend.
I've had grenades not destroy high cover. Plasma grenades usually do, but standard grenades fail a lot, and I generally get demolition before I get plasma grenades anyway. Besides, it's usually easier for me to throw away a free reload than a grenade I might need.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Look at this hulking Asian Nathan Explosion looking motherfucker. He rolled like this, complete with the amazing name, and then he rolled Ranger on top of it.

I mean, at that point, what other nickname is there?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

The fact that everyone is <10 years old when the alien invasion hits yet they're "just making it out of basic training" is concerning.

Like this 7 year old ran away from home after a bunch of poo poo he doesn't understand happens and joins a resistance cell.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

So uh, with the update, and possibly a few mods I enabled...enemy explosives don't do damage to me. :stonk: What...line in the ini should I be looking for to unfuck this?

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Eimi posted:

So uh, with the update, and possibly a few mods I enabled...enemy explosives don't do damage to me. :stonk: What...line in the ini should I be looking for to unfuck this?

Just play all Fortress PSI troopers and you won't notice any difference.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Eimi posted:

Install the Ignore Missing Content mod, disable all your mods, see if grenades do damage. If so, turn on the mods one at a time until you've found the culprit. May also want to recheck cache first.

Zomborgon posted:

Just play all Fortress PSI troopers and you won't notice any difference.

But then you can't use Fuse.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
is there any way to incite a pod to patrol towards you? ive gotten a mission down to its final pod, but its made up of 3 mutons and an archon :negative: id rather have them stumble into my overwatching soldiers, but theyre just sitting perfectly still no matter how many turns i cycle

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

is there any way to incite a pod to patrol towards you? ive gotten a mission down to its final pod, but its made up of 3 mutons and an archon :negative: id rather have them stumble into my overwatching soldiers, but theyre just sitting perfectly still no matter how many turns i cycle
Overwatch everyone else, then send out one dude as bait to activate them.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

RIP brave beacon

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

CapnAndy posted:

Overwatch everyone else, then send out one dude as bait to activate them.

Who makes the best bait? I've been using rangers because they seem to cover the most squares per turn when running the gently caress away.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Who makes the best bait? I've been using rangers because they seem to cover the most squares per turn when running the gently caress away.
Definitely rangers. Shadowstep lets em get away even if the pod you activate goes overwatch.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
has anyone gone for the achievement to beat the game before july (i think) on commander+? any tips?

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Obama 2012 posted:

At 66% your odds of failing 12 times in a row would be .66^12 or about 1 in 146. At 57% it's more like 1 in 850. So, not likely.

Your math is wrong. I don't know what the actual numbers are, but they should show that the odds of losing that many times at 57% to be substantially higher than at 66%, not lower.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I'm playing Long War and i've done well ish. But I just cannot win this base mission. The amount of bullshit the enemy sends at me is hilarious.

Its just the mix of poo poo. First a bunch of berserkers and muton elites, then cyberdiscs and heavy floaters and then berserkers and chrysallids. For a few of those you need to be "in position" with good cover or you're dead. And for the others its like "welp this guy is alone because he needs that heavy cover to protect against discs but now the berserker can just have his way with him"

I've redone it quite a few times and eh it just kicks my rear end. I can maybe survive a loss. But I wouldn't enjoy playing the game that much longer.

(it got to the point where i'm thinking of buying xcom2 and winning that first)

(why won't steam tell me what digital deluxe edition is?)

Affi fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Feb 20, 2016

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Affi posted:

I'm playing Long War and i've done well ish. But I just cannot win this base mission. The amount of bullshit the enemy sends at me is hilarious.

Its just the mix of poo poo. First a bunch of berserkers and muton elites, then cyberdiscs and heavy floaters and then berserkers and chrysallids. For a few of those you need to be "in position" with good cover or you're dead. And for the others its like "welp this guy is alone because he needs that heavy cover to protect against discs but now the berserker can just have his way with him"

I've redone it quite a few times and eh it just kicks my rear end. I can maybe survive a loss. But I wouldn't enjoy playing the game that much longer.

It's okay, the canonical ending of the game has you losing that base defense mission and getting captured by the aliens, anyway! :ssh:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Welp that is basically what is happening anyway so.

I would have figured that the canonical ending was "you take the temple ship, but it doesn't matter because the chosen one is a lie, Vahlen betrays you. Earth is assimilated and you are captured"

Affi fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Feb 20, 2016

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Zomborgon posted:

Really, I could do without MECs over again. A big, clunky dude in over-engineered power armor is fun, but fits in much less with a covert resistance movement and fast-paced missions. Now, upgrading people like with MELD, but instead with implanted electronics... that I could find interesting.

New class is a houndmaster with a cyborg dog.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
This one goes out to my MVP Ranger, Col. Leticia 'Jaws' Sanchez, who bagged herself three Avatars in the final mission after they teleported right next to her with a fraction of an HP, while single-handedly keeping a pack of reinforcements occupied thanks to Untouchable. Phantom Rangers are absolutely outstanding; being able to set up repeated ambushes on enemy pods is indispensable. She had no fancy multikill skills, but consistently did 15+ damage every single turn thanks to Talon rounds, Superior Scope, and insane crit rate.

Honourable Mention; Col. Remy 'Shakes' Richard, who lived up to his nickname and went through the entire final mission while Shaken and saved the team's sniper thanks to Aid Protocol being completely loving insane.

I think next time around I'll pass on Chain Shot on Grenadiers. It'd be pretty amazing on a Sniper, but I just wasn't feeling it on the class with the lowest Aim.
Rapid Fire continues to be amazing. Reaper can't compare.
Didn't get a chance to play with Gunslinger snipers. The very brief time I tried it was absolutely hilarious, though.

I picked up a mod that lets you give any unit any gun. Sharpshooters are ridiculous with assault rifles. I had only one traditional sniper, the rest of them were like offense-focused Specialists. I had a tough time deciding how the team would be spread out, but I liked the options it opened!

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Iny posted:

Your math is wrong. I don't know what the actual numbers are, but they should show that the odds of losing that many times at 57% to be substantially higher than at 66%, not lower.

Guilty. I forgot to invert the values, what I came up with was the odds of succeeding. That's what I get for haste posting.

At 57% and 66% success chance the odds of cocking it up 12 times in a row should be around 1 in 25000 and 1 in 45000, respectively.

I think. I'm very tired.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I actually finished Veteran without any Psi troopers. Well, I lied, I built a psi lab super late so my A-team was 2 grenadiers, 2 supports, a phantom ranger and a long range sniper. Only psi was in the last level and reinforcements for the defense. Boy howdy though it is fun so maybe I'll aim for early psi this time around.

A few thoughts: mid-game enemies disappear quick. I don't think I had berserkers show up except during one terror mission and maybe a mission or two afterwards in the same month or so. Pectoids/Vipers/Mutons also super rare considering you have things like elite and heavy ADVENT troops still showing up late in the game. I wish mid-game was just suddenly more full alien pods. I feel like most of my time was spent trying to disassemble archon pods in a single turn or being a bitch with battlescanners to force burrowed chyssalids up.

I feel like I saw more Sectopods than berserkers, that's for sure. Codexes were relatively fun to fight assuming you have the proper tools to manage them. I feel like maybe there were too many enemy times this time around for them to really feel distinct?

Lastly I don't know how it fares with expansions adding extra facilities unless they do a pass on power consumption. I feel like even with almost all engineers manning them (okay, no upgrades) floating around 50 power is barely enough for everything.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer
gently caress, I lost my first Veteran campaign, after pulling back from getting A, B and C teams wiped and often having one day on the countdown. And one loving Avatar wiped my latest A team including three Magi. Those guys should have some protection against mind control. Also, gently caress Schism, I should have skipped that one that so that I could have panicked my own MC-d soldiers without killing them.

RIP, latest elite soldiers, including "Bull Rush", a Grenadier who had her repeater proc on two full-health Sectopods, a Faceless and a Cryssalid sprinting in for a kill - in about 10 or so campaigns. No way I get another one like you.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I wanted to try out something new so I busted out the mods for increased squad size and alien pod size. But even with 8 slots I have a hard time deciding who to leave out! In my A Team I have a medic, hacker, 2x phantom assault rangers, 2 grenade /explosives grenadiers, sniper sniper and a gunslinger sniper and a PSI operative. One can't come along. Toughest decision so far if all are healthy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
Anyone know: if you run right the gently caress away, out of sight of an active pod, do they have to hunt for you, or do they always know where your guys are once they're awoken? I've run into an overwhelming enemy force that is just stomping me, no matter what. Need to regroup somehow!