Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

JerryLee posted:

So like does Amazon just throw poo poo up that they think they might totally be able to get in a few months, regardless of any sort of contract with the supplier? :stare: That's the sort of thing I'd expect from Kickstarter idea men who don't know how business works, not from, well, Amazon.

Yes, in the sense that Amazon lets other sellers put up literally whatever they want. It's not even like you need to be a "real" business: you can just treat it like an online garage sale if you really wanna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Avenging Dentist posted:

Yes, in the sense that Amazon lets other sellers put up literally whatever they want. It's not even like you need to be a "real" business: you can just treat it like an online garage sale if you really wanna.

Well, yeah, but this was specifically sold by Amazon themselves. I just went back and checked; it's "Amazon.com, LLC,"which is distinct from stuff that I've bought from third parties through the Amazon storefront.

Anyway, it's whatever, I didn't lose any money. Like I said, I'm just surprised that Amazon themselves were part of a fly-by-night deal.

vvvv Yeah but again, that's not a product that they literally won't fulfill your order for, ever. I know to take release dates with a grain of salt under those sorts of circumstances; this is something different that I've not encountered before. I realize there's nothing to be done about it, though.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 20, 2016

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

JerryLee posted:

So like does Amazon just throw poo poo up that they think they might totally be able to get in a few months, regardless of any sort of contract with the supplier? :stare: That's the sort of thing I'd expect from Kickstarter idea men who don't know how business works, not from, well, Amazon.

All the loving time, yes. I've lost count of the number of books I've wanted to buy like, months early because Amazon published a pre-order release date they just pulled out of their collective arse.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

JerryLee posted:

Well, yeah, but this was specifically sold by Amazon themselves. I just went back and checked; it's "Amazon.com, LLC,"which is distinct from stuff that I've bought from third parties through the Amazon storefront.

Oh, weird. I thought this was a third-party seller the whole time.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I think I was the one that shared that link. Sorry, I had no idea that Amazon was that lovely :(

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Well, I just spent a half hour sawing, but I have successfully decapitated a space marine and didn't damage the body or the head. But holy poo poo does my hand hurt. I need a vice or something.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

BULBASAUR posted:

I think I was the one that shared that link. Sorry, I had no idea that Amazon was that lovely :(

It's all cool - we would've been sad if they had delivered on it and none of us knew about the deal!

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

JoshTheStampede posted:

If you'd rather not screw with spraying it, Scale75 make really nice colored metallics, in colors that look a pretty close match to the final result there.

Wouldn't happen to have the names of those colours would you? LGS's putting in an order for some Scale 75 and I've grown sick of glazing my Alphas, it just takes too much time and has too much margin of error.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

SteelMentor posted:

Wouldn't happen to have the names of those colours would you? LGS's putting in an order for some Scale 75 and I've grown sick of glazing my Alphas, it just takes too much time and has too much margin of error.

I'm guessing Cobalt and Emerald.

http://www.scale75.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=55_62_73

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Ah, yeah. Now I see them. Their colour metallics are all labeled alchemy. My eyes kinda glaze over when I see big unorganised grids like that.

Has anyone had any experience with Scale 75? My frame of reference for paints is mostly Citadel.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

SteelMentor posted:

Ah, yeah. Now I see them. Their colour metallics are all labeled alchemy. My eyes kinda glaze over when I see big unorganised grids like that.

Has anyone had any experience with Scale 75? My frame of reference for paints is mostly Citadel.

I've just ordered those two, so I can post up my thoughts when they arrive, though it might be a week or so.

e: Peridot might be a nice colour for some metallic Salamanders.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I'm honestly horribly tempted to order that metallic pink and make some *~*Faaaabulous*~* Marines.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Are ghost tints ok for brush work or are they something to wait for an airbrush to pick up?

BULBASAUR posted:

I think anyone who knows those brushes at all realized getting them for 75% off was unlikely, but worth the shot!

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

SteelMentor posted:

I have a bunch of their metallics, but haven't had the chance to paint anything, since it's too cold to prime. (And I have a bunch of dudes to assemble anyway.)

I do know that they grind the mica a lot finer, so the metallic effect looks less like glitter/sequins on your dudes.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

Mango, are those yours? They look great.

No, no, I wish :(
I just have a ton of bookmarks for metallic marine painting recipes.

SteelMentor posted:

Here's an example of AL painted with the Alchemy.

quote:

Base: Scale 75 Cobalt Alchemy (Airbrush)
Light 1: 2xCobalt Alchemy, 1xEmerald Alchemy, 2xWhite Alchemy. (Airbrush)
Light 2: 2xCobalt Alchemy, 1xEmerald Alchemy, 4xWhite Alchemy. (Airbrush)
Glaze: 1xCobalt Alchemy, 6xWater. (Brush)
Glaze: 1xTamiya Blue, 6xWater. Apply 2 times (Brush).
Glaze: 1xTamiya Green, 6xWater. Apply 2 times (Brush).
Glaze: 1xTamiya Blue, 6xWater. Apply 2 times (Brush).
Weathering: Flesh Wash. Recesses and near mechanical parts.
Dark Lining: Custom 50% black, 50% blue ink (GW's).
Layer highlight 1: 1xCobalt Alchemy, 2xWhite Alchemy.
Layer highlight 2: 1xCobalt Alchemy, 5xWhite Alchemy.
Glaze: 1xTamiya Blue, 8xWater.
Edge highlight: Pure White Alchemy.
Battle damage: Typhus Corrosion. Underline with White Alchemy.
Glaze: 5xTamiya Blue, 1xTamiya Green, 16xWater.

You could easily simplify that down by doing less glazes.

e. Do post results of Alchemy paints! I was thinking of eventually getting a set to paint metallic gems.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Feb 20, 2016

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Another glue removal question: is it possible to dissolve plastic glue that hasn't bonded to anything? It's slathered all over the Mantic restic that I mentioned before so it isn't stuck to the models.
I also need to remove some huge blobs from a bunch of clear plastic bases, but the glue has bonded to them. Am I better off just throwing them away and buying some new ones?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
If the glue has not bonded, you could try the freezer trick or just carefully pick it off. But where it's bonded, you're hosed, it welds the plastic. UNless you can cut or file it down to a surface you're happy with, chuck that poo poo.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
That's what I thought :( Sometimes I hate buying second hand stuff.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Spiderdrake posted:

Are ghost tints ok for brush work or are they something to wait for an airbrush to pick up?

They work fine with brushes, I used them with both airbrush and brush for my oath this month in the oath thread (that I haven't posted as complete yet).

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Spiderdrake posted:

They go on ok with a brush, if you're doing deep saturation. However, they also dry really quickly, and if you gently caress up the finish on it you will never recover it.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Barwell have just dropped the price (a week after I order some :argh:) of Stynylrez primer. If you're in the UK, now is a good time to grab some.

http://www.barwellbodyworks-shop.com/144-stynylrez-primer

EDIT: Huge thanks to all the people who suggested solutions for my white issue.

Final solution was a basecoat of VMA Sand (Ivory), zenithal highlight of VGC Off White and a final very, very soft highlight of the dreaded VGA Dead White. After gloss and then matt varnish it makes a beautiful soft fade up from ivory. I couldn't be more pleased with it. :dance:

TTerrible fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 20, 2016

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Krushgroove I fixed the airbrush. Was the bit of the quick release which attaches to the hose! I think something got it jammed. Replaced the release and it works perfectly now.

Total cost including replacing the valve when I didn't need to - £22. I'll take that.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Lord Twisted posted:

Krushgroove I fixed the airbrush. Was the bit of the quick release which attaches to the hose! I think something got it jammed. Replaced the release and it works perfectly now.

Total cost including replacing the valve when I didn't need to - £22. I'll take that.

Well that's good! As far as I know there isn't a 'big name' brand that does the QR, it's all no-name stuff as far as I can tell, so there's a possibility of one going bad or getting messed up somehow. Glad to know you got it figured out.

You guys looking for an Alpha Legion recipe, this is what I got from Matthew Kane, the ex-FW painter who came up with the recipe. This recipe includes all the new names for the paint colors:

Alpha Legion
  • Airbrush with thinned Tamiya Gunmetal (thin all Tamiya colours with Tamiya X-20A Thinner)
  • Airbrush from top of model with thinned Tamiya Flat Aluminum
  • Mix Tamiya Clear Green with Tamiya Clear Blue in 10/90 mix and airbrush over the model in 2 light, thin coats
  • Airbrush armour panels with Tamiya Clear Blue. Blend from middle of figure down, so the strongest blue colour is at the bottom of the armour panels
  • Airbrush from the middle upwards with Tamiya Clear Green, so strongest green colour is at the top of the armour panels
  • Using an airbrush, blend a highlight on the highest panels (head, shoulder pads, top of backpack) with Tamiya Flat Aluminum with a tiny amount of very thinned down Tamiya Sky Blue
  • Apply thinned coat of Tamiya Clear Blue over the highlight and blend into the surrounding area
  • Silver: basecoat with Citadel Leadbelcher, highlight with Vallejo Model Air Steel and wash with Citadel Nuln Oil
  • Chipping: hit edges with Citadel Leadbelcher in striking motions and highlight with Citadel Ironbreaker

Originally he'd said to use Citadel Leadbelcher and Ironbreaker in a 50/50 mix for step 1, but now he says to do all the airbrushing with Tamiya paints and all the brushwork with the Citadel and Vallejo paints. I'm pretty sure he hasn't tried the new FW airbrush paints though.

I plan to try Minitaire Ghost Tint Plasma Fluid as that's a nice teal candy color, but I have all the Tamiya clears and metals just in case.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

That's like 7 stages too many. :effort:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

ijyt posted:

That's like 7 stages too many. :effort:

The super quick version would be gunmetal, silver from an above angle, then Plasma Fluid over the whole thing.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Does anyone know were to get warmachine style round bases in bulk?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

No Pun Intended posted:

Does anyone know were to get warmachine style round bases in bulk?

How many are you looking for? Reaper sells 30mm in packs of 12, 40mm in packs of 10, and 60mm in packs of 10. You can also try your luck on ebay with :china: sellers, but that can be a mixed bag sometimes (quite literally; I ordered 50mm ones once and got 40mm instead).

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Wyrd does 30mm ones at $4 for 10, which is slightly cheaper than reaper/PP, and they are also more likely to be available at your FLGS. (they are at mine)

I'm pretty sure I've gotten their bases mixed up with warmachine ones, so they're pretty similar. Not slottabases though. Privateer also sells theirs at $5 for 12, and DGI sells them 30% off like all other PP stuff.

You probably aren't getting much cheaper than DGI without going chinese reseller. Apparently the wyrd ones are 10 for $2.10 at DGI.

http://giveusyourmoneypleasethankyou-wyrd.com/collections/bases

http://www.discountgamesinc.com/warmachine-30mm-bases-12-bases.html

http://www.discountgamesinc.com/malifaux/core-product/plastic-bases-30mm-10.html

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

They're currently out of stock, but Dark Age bases are very similar, except that they have deeper wells (designed for you to add inserts or sculpt your own bases), and they're $3 for 10: https://www.coolminiornot.com/shop/miniatures/dark-age-games/accessories-2/dark-age-warmachine-30mm-deep-bases-10.html

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Finished my first Hellhound, and another 3 Chimeras over the weekend

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

JoshTheStampede posted:

The super quick version would be gunmetal, silver from an above angle, then Plasma Fluid over the whole thing.

I'd still do a layer of Blue in there, because that one really helps to catch to shifting colour feel of the AL.

e. Krushgroove, do you know of any EU-but-not-UK site that sell spare Badger parts?

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Feb 21, 2016

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
No ikea where in the EU you are put for northern Germany there's PK-Pro: http://www.pk-pro.de/BADGER-Spare-Parts

drunkill posted:

Post this to the armada/xwing thread because people will love it. Nice work. I'm painting my Imperial Squadron pack now, for the first time painting models since I was a kid. It is... interesting.

Thanks! The wrecks are going to the Tactica convention next weekend, i'll try to snap some nice pictures of the whole table and post them in the wangs thread.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Bistromatic posted:

No ikea where in the EU you are put for northern Germany there's PK-Pro: http://www.pk-pro.de/BADGER-Spare-Parts

That's perfect, thanks.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
This VSP poo poo clogged my airbrush worse than I thought. I had to disassemble & clean. Is there anything specific I should use to clean the cup to spray nozzle area? I've got some normal pipe cleaners around but I don't know if that material would just clog it.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I've given up trying to use my fancy lightbox I got for Christmas. It just really flattens out all the highlights and shading, so back to the cardboard box wrapped in foil for now.

Here's a thing I did:

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I've been dying to practice airbrushing. Whenever I tried airbrushing more than just basecoats before, by brush would clog when I would turn down the PSI to try :krad: blends and highlights.

I just wasn't thinning my paint enough! It was such a "duh" moment, I felt so stupid it took this much reading to figure out. Bought a cheap tank to practice Cygnar colors on since I have two giant models I gotta paint soon and though I was just dicking around, I'm pretty happy with how some of the effects came out -and it was rather easy!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Yeast posted:

This thing is sexy as hell. The little chains being used are a great touch and really add some grit and realism to the model.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Cross posting from the oath thread. The camera isn't showing off how great the brown and orange scourge units look in person nor the purple sheen stripes on the metallic scourge but what are you going to do.

Oath Complete!

Claiming both technical and theme challenge though obviously only one applies. The zombie covered in blood and the leaping Medusa are most of it, though technically I suppose any of the flying transports for the Scourge could count. I forgot to take a solo picture of Micheline Tendress so she is in the group shot with the Blood Bowl Amazon team I didn't oath for the month but painted anyway. She is just the giant female ogre and the little goblin running for her, so sorry for any confusion for the judges.

Just the ogre and goblin in this one

Just the ogre and goblin in this one

Some ate his Valentines hear and needs a napkin or two

For some reason the purple isn't showing but that's ok

I must admit that I am a little embarressed to have painted up the Sister Sledgehammers being cheesecake dwarves, but something about the fact they were originally made without beards spoke to me, and I just had to sculpt beards on some of them and fix the error:

Everyone done for the month in one shot

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Today I learned the hard way that the best magnets for carnifeces and hive tyrants are 1/4 inch, not 1/8 inch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

I've given up trying to use my fancy lightbox I got for Christmas. It just really flattens out all the highlights and shading, so back to the cardboard box wrapped in foil for now.

Here's a thing I did:

Yeast posted:

This entier page is great for painting, but I wanted to give these some more love. Both of these are ace. Gareth those highlights and blends really stand out. Yeast I really like your style for painting your steal legion tanks. Unique and colorful. You make me want to paint my army differently.