Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well, she's got half of it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Apparently with no roommates in a $1200ish apartment and a car like a dumbass.

Who would even rent to someone who doesn't make at least 2x rent?

Also she bitched that a $20 copy on her full coverage benefits was too high...

And San Francisco companies ALL provide some kind of commuter benefit such as pre tax dollars to use for transit tickets or reimbursement.

Jesus Christ. If you're going to try and ~live your dreams~ understand that no one owes you anything and starving for your art is a cliche for a reason. Especially in one of the most expensive cities in the country.

Seriously no roommates??? Live in a dirty art commune in west Oakland for fucks sake.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe
Lol an American wanted a real living wage and to live somewhere nice, what a dumb bitch.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Telemaze posted:

Lol an American wanted a real living wage and to live somewhere nice, what a dumb bitch.

She had a living wage. She just has to plan her life according to what she can afford. I've done it since I turned 18 and moved out of my parents house. It's called being an adult and it sucks she has to learn that life doesn't give a gently caress about you and isn't fair at 25, but at least she's learning it now. She'll be better for this.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Telemaze posted:

She chose to live above her means regardless of the fairness of a city being prohibitively expensive. She was making bullshit money in an expensive city through her own choices. I would have more sympathy for the CVS guy in her story.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ha, maybe her and her other co-workers that can't afford their rent should get a place together so they could help each other.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe
That's not a living wage in most of the USA, let's be real here.

I find a lot more fault with San Francisco's outrageous rent prices, and the stagnation of American wages in general (even including the recent min. wage increases), than with a Poor Trying to Live Above Her Means, but I guess that's me being overly sentimental.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
It's almost like it can be both. She can be a whiny idiot that just happens to exacerbated the already bullshit situation we have in the US when it comes to wages and worker exploitation.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I moved out of my parent's house in 1998 making $6.75 an hour or something. I had my own place, a car, insurance, food on the table, gas, and pocket money for liquor and a few other random things each month. Adjusted for inflation that's less than what she was making now. Wanna know how I did it? I had two roommates because I couldn't afford a place on my own. I bought stupid cheap food like rice, beans, potatoes, carrots, and the cheapest meat they had on sale. I only spent my extra money after I had all my expenses covered for the month. And I think the biggest part of this, I didn't move all the loving way across the country to a state with one of the highest income taxes, to the most expensive city in that state and expect that poo poo tier job to support me. If she had sat down and made a budget to find out her minimum salary for the place and what not this wouldn't have ever been an issue. She's just not a smart person, but this could fix a lot of that if she swallows the reality pill and starts planning her life with any sense of responsibility. She's a dumb kid, but now that life has kicked her in the teeth maybe she'll be a dumb adult.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Who would have been dumb enough to have posted:

I left college, having majored in English literature, with a dream to work in media. It was either that or go to law school. Or become a teacher. But I didn’t want to become a cliche or drown in student loans, see.

No. No I'm afraid I don't see.

WarpedNaba has a new favorite as of 09:40 on Feb 20, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

WarpedNaba posted:

No. No I'm afraid I don't see.

I get the drowning in student loans, but the cliche she's talking about must be the old "Self Reliant Mid-20 Year Old." One of the oldest cliches in the book really.

grand_danois
Jan 9, 2005
not a dog irl
e: not worth an argument, and not worth the derail. I wish there was more empathy.

grand_danois has a new favorite as of 10:21 on Feb 20, 2016

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The funniest part to me was her "amazingly my credit card allows cash withdrawals". Every credit card I've ever had allows that. It probably started being declined because doing that has a much higher interest rate that starts immediately and she hit her limit. Anyway I don't blame her for wanting a living wage, and she does have a valid point about it being unfair.

That said, even if she did have valid money-saving ideas, that's not her job and all the time she spent thinking about it at work was time spent not doing her job, so why shouldn't she have been fired? 24,000 dollars is absolutely nothing to a company that size anyway. And even if they did get implemented, it sounds like she expects to receive all the money that gets saved (so in the end it wouldn't be saved at all), instead of the more fair way of trying to help everyone in her situation, but gently caress them, she needs a new car I guess. Anyone who donates money to her is just making her "I can do whatever I want, someone else will always be there to bail me out" attitude worse.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Her mistake was trying to live in SF. I have no idea how that place still manages to exist. I fully expect everyone poor to just move out of there one day, leaving the wealthy scum with nobody at all to work in shops or take away their garbage or drive their ambulances.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Slime posted:

Her mistake was trying to live in SF. I have no idea how that place still manages to exist. I fully expect everyone poor to just move out of there one day, leaving the wealthy scum with nobody at all to work in shops or take away their garbage or drive their ambulances.

That's Oakland, unfortunately.

SF should be shown a ship of VC capital and the results

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

http://i.imgur.com/5XV6cza.gifv

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

The dog saved that cat from permanent, irreparable trauma and a lifetime of PTSD from the evil human's abuses. A good dog.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Is this just a guy smashing a tray of McDonalds into his face, or is there a tiny rocket I'm just not seeing?

He's on a hoverboard, I think. When he bends down to pick up the tray he loses his balance and the result is what you see in the gif.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Was that kid who smashed the milk jugs and broke his jaw also on a hoverboard?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

cyberia posted:

He's on a hoverboard, I think. When he bends down to pick up the tray he loses his balance and the result is what you see in the gif.

I don't think so. His arms seem almost spring-loaded, the speed at which he smashes that tray into his face, and his legs and feet don't move at all until well after his fast food bukkake.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Failarmy week 3 up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b2eJpPxWOs

A fairly slow week, but the last two are 1) adorable and 2) loving glorious.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

The last one brings up so many questions.

I get what he was doing, but WHY!? Why would you do that? There is no way any good can come of this. :psyduck:

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It's the fact that the fence cracked as he started. it was soooo close to just tipping him onto the lower balcony.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Slime posted:

According to Star Trek it gets rezoned like 3 years from now and the poor people are actually forced to move there, then they get walled in.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Rorac posted:

The last one brings up so many questions.

I get what he was doing, but WHY!? Why would you do that? There is no way any good can come of this. :psyduck:
Good came of it for us.

FLUMP!

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Wait, what WAS he trying to do? It almost looks like he just goes outside and intentionally takes a leap into the snow dick-first. It was so purposeful and confident.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Wait, what WAS he trying to do? It almost looks like he just goes outside and intentionally takes a leap into the snow dick-first. It was so purposeful and confident.

he intentionally jumped into a snowbank so he could make a viral video

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

It's unlisted on youtube

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Oh I see it's a Monday joke. Cute.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face
https://www.facebook.com/antosharps/videos/923567907763603/

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The craziest thing about this is video is that it's only ranked as Moment #37. Were there 36 crazier moments at 2004 EVO?

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Telemaze posted:

I am very sympathetic to people struggling with the Bay Area's bullshit, but this lady is really, really, really stupid and irresponsible to an unbelievable extent.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

The best part about this is that after she compares her role to being a cashier at CVS she goes on to say:

quote:

Speaking of that whole training thing, do you know what the average retention rate of your lowest employees (like myself) are? Because I haven’t been here very long, but it seems like every week the faces change. Do you think it’s because the pay your company offers is designed to attract young people with no responsibilities, sort of like the CIA?

Does she not realize that her peers are doing the job for a little bit then, most likely, moving on to something better? If you hate your job, find a new one like all of your smarter peers already did.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Telemaze posted:

That's not a living wage in most of the USA, let's be real here.

I find a lot more fault with San Francisco's outrageous rent prices, and the stagnation of American wages in general (even including the recent min. wage increases), than with a Poor Trying to Live Above Her Means, but I guess that's me being overly sentimental.

She loving chose to move to San Francisco.

It's true that the state of affairs in America in general is hosed. I'm not saying that it shouldn't get better for everyone. But at the moment, it is hosed, and holy poo poo she chose to move to loving San Francisco. Apparently she expected to be protected from becoming the cliche of the financially struggling English Lit major simply by understanding that the situation was a cliche, rather than by, y'know, not moving to loving San Francisco.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
It's not like the job surprised her with the pay amount after she moved out there and started the position. They gave her an offer, she accepted knowing how much she would make, then entered a rental agreement she knew the price of, while already owning a car she knows the upkeep and insurance premiums for.

She acts like the whole thing was a blindside that was out of her control. It makes it really hard to feel bad for her that she couldn't do some simple math before hand to realize she was going to starve by making these choices.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/itsa_talia/status/699851913521553408

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Somfin posted:

She loving chose to move to San Francisco.

It's true that the state of affairs in America in general is hosed. I'm not saying that it shouldn't get better for everyone. But at the moment, it is hosed, and holy poo poo she chose to move to loving San Francisco. Apparently she expected to be protected from becoming the cliche of the financially struggling English Lit major simply by understanding that the situation was a cliche, rather than by, y'know, not moving to loving San Francisco.
Moving to SF is not especially wise, but that by itself is on a different level than moving to SF and demanding your very own apartment near BART and bringing a car and two cats to work an entry level call center job. Her career aspirations at Yelp were also nonsensical and moronic.

That said, that job is not even especially lovely. I have a friend who worked literally that exact same job at Yelp. It starts at like 35K base salary with instant benefits and several Ks worth of potential bonuses and all that free food that letter mentioned. She got by fine because she was not a moron.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Does she not realize that her peers are doing the job for a little bit then, most likely, moving on to something better? If you hate your job, find a new one like all of your smarter peers already did.

yeah just go down to the job store and get a new job, jfc

(I'm not disagreeing that she's dumb but 'Just find a better job' isn't really a thing most people can do in modern America.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

It's okay, yelp/eat24 are going to move all their csr jobs to arizona so you can keep ordering your food online without having to worry about things like "my desire to get cheese fries delivered to me is encouraging a company that hires employees in san francisco but won't pay a living wage for that city"