Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Mr Enderby posted:

Yeah, but that doesn't seem very plausible to me because why would you just borrow some random guy's gun and start firing it off. Who was carrying a loaded gun in a theater?

Although apparently some chucklefuck turned up to your reenactment with a sharp sword so maybe...

Isn't this still a time period where most city-dwellers would carry a sword/long dagger with them most times? I assume the same thing could apply to guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I am not a historian, but I think you are massively over-estimating the caution of even modern people, let alone people who had no conception of firearm safety and thought it was legit to drink in the morning.

People are loving dumb as hell.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Xiahou Dun posted:

people who had no conception of firearm safety and thought it was legit to drink in the morning.

day drinking owns tho, like everything else these guys do--black magic, long hair on dudes, codpieces. i could go on

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

I am not a historian, but I think you are massively over-estimating the caution of even modern people, let alone people who had no conception of firearm safety and thought it was legit to drink in the morning.

Accidents happen

It's also worth noting that up until relatively recently (you know, taking the long view), it was in many (at least some) places actually safer to drink beer than water so when you keep that fact in mind, a lot of history makes a lot more sense. It's kind of a wonder that science ever happened at all, really.

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 19, 2016

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Ainsley McTree posted:

Accidents happen

It's also worth noting that up until relatively recently (you know, taking the long view), it was in many (at least some) places actually safer to drink beer than water so when you keep that fact in mind, a lot of history makes a lot more sense. It's kind of a wonder that science ever happened at all, really.

Nah, drunk science is best science. If you don't have thesis whiskey, you are doing it wrong.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
If it's a whiskey cocktail, does that make it a synthesis whiskey?

This is when coffee and tea start getting big in the West, right? Did people end up drinking both, like a medieval Four Loko, or was it more of a one or the other thing?

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Ainsley McTree posted:

Accidents happen

I'm gonna kick you're rear end

Loomer posted:

Hostel 4: Renfair Swordsmiths.

I've never seen a swordsmith at a renn fair but there is a blacksmith at the one i go to who sucks. All his poo poo is overpriced, his technique is bad and he only knows how to make like 5 things. That's my story.

Rockopolis posted:

This is when coffee and tea start getting big in the West, right? Did people end up drinking both, like a medieval Four Loko, or was it more of a one or the other thing?

Coffee and tea are both post-medieval as far as Europe is concerned

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

nothing to seehere posted:

Isn't this still a time period where most city-dwellers would carry a sword/long dagger with them most times? I assume the same thing could apply to guns.

possibly not in england, i've read a secondary source on their civil war where some officer is ordering a fuckton of swords to supply his dudes and i've never seen anything like that for germany, the implication there being they brought their own

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

I've never seen a swordsmith at a renn fair but there is a blacksmith at the one i go to who sucks. All his poo poo is overpriced, his technique is bad and he only knows how to make like 5 things. That's my story.
renfair everything is terrible

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
If you want legit, you want viking reenactors. Admittedly, half the groups are absolutely dreadful, but the local are actually decent. Blacksmith actually makes useful things and makes knives for a living, and his swordsmithing is on point. Top-notch accuracy on clothing as far as can be had (which, let me just tell you, sucks in the Aussie summer...) down to the silk undershirts, accurate cooking as far as can be had within reasonable limits, accurate camp design, the lot. They're even getting a lawspeaker who speaks old norse just because they don't have one yet and think they should. It's always a shock when one of the other ones visit and they'll have dudes with like, fantasy swords they bought in a collectible shop rather than a proper nordic style sword or seax.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Loomer posted:

If you want legit, you want viking reenactors. Admittedly, half the groups are absolutely dreadful, but the local are actually decent. Blacksmith actually makes useful things and makes knives for a living, and his swordsmithing is on point. Top-notch accuracy on clothing as far as can be had (which, let me just tell you, sucks in the Aussie summer...) down to the silk undershirts, accurate cooking as far as can be had within reasonable limits, accurate camp design, the lot. They're even getting a lawspeaker who speaks old norse just because they don't have one yet and think they should. It's always a shock when one of the other ones visit and they'll have dudes with like, fantasy swords they bought in a collectible shop rather than a proper nordic style sword or seax.

In my experience there are two big problems with viking reenactors, even good ones: Lots of white supremacists, waaaaaaay too much lamellar. Really, too much armour in general.

edit: does the group have a website?

Rodrigo Diaz fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 19, 2016

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
It does not, but it also has no lamellar and no neo-nazis! There's a few guys with chain, a few guys with some thicker coats they wear for the battles, but most of them just go it in their usual viking clothes, maybe a helmet.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
My hometown has a medieval fair thing every year and I got drunk there once and bought a spatha for a hideous amount of money off the best swordsmith in Finland. That is my medieval fair story.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
What is a hideous amount of money? Are people actually going there with the prospect of spending 1-2k €?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HEY GAL posted:

renfair everything is terrible

The turkey legs can be quite nice.

(Ren faires per se seem to be an American thing, though, I can't think of a direct British equivalent)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Rockopolis posted:

Tea, specifically, is more of a 18th-19th century thing. Coffee was the fashionable thing in 17th century England same as it was elsewhere on the continent, then we ended up owning India and turns out that's a boffo place to grow tea.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

feedmegin posted:

The turkey legs can be quite nice.

(Ren faires per se seem to be an American thing, though, I can't think of a direct British equivalent)

I'd be willing to bet that you have "Medieval Festivals" or something like that.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

I know one of the guys from that YouTube show Man At Arms where they make weapons from video games and movies. He comes to a bunch of HEMA events with some of his work and everything he makes is hot garbage. Every sword feels like twice its weight, and since he doesn't base his work on historical examples everything looks like it's from a video game or a kid's drawing. Big thick cross guards, oversized pommels, weird cross sections, etc. That's my story.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Hogge Wild posted:

I'd be willing to bet that you have "Medieval Festivals" or something like that.

Ehh, kind of, often held at an actual castle, but it tends to be more of a specifically kids' thing and less of a sort of semi-LARP/random-stuff-market if that makes sense.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

nothing to seehere posted:

Well, not "most" city-dwellers, but yeah, plenty of swords around. Theoretically not to be worn by non-gentleman, but that doesn't seem to be enforced. Also have to be below a certain length, and that is enforced. If you kill someone in a brawl, your sword will be measured (ooh matron).

But guns are much more restricted. I've never come across guns being carried in civilian life. They're illegal unless you have a certain income, and extra restrictions on wheel-locks and pistols start to come in after 1584, when Prince William the silent was assassinated.

HEY GAL posted:

day drinking owns tho, like everything else these guys do--black magic, long hair on dudes, codpieces. i could go on

When Ben Johnson converted back from Catholicism, he demonstrated his Protestantism by going to Church and drinking off the whole communion cup in one. He's a oval office, in the main, but that owns.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Man Whore posted:

Reminds me of a thing in US WWII re-enactment a couple years ago where a guy brought LIVE ROUNDS. 4 people injured.

Made for some fun pictures though:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

ACW reeenactors are also a bit notorious for hurting and killing people. I know a lot of the local ones don't allow rifles to have their ramrods (no I don't know how they load) because of people forgetting it was in there and shooting it at the other line.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

ACW reeenactors are also a bit notorious for hurting and killing people. I know a lot of the local ones don't allow rifles to have their ramrods (no I don't know how they load) because of people forgetting it was in there and shooting it at the other line.
the worst thing i ever heard happened at an ECW reenactment: it was a hot day and some cuirassier, in full harness, filled his helmet with water, poured it over himself, and promptly walked into an electric fence

and you can load fine without a ramrod if you're firing blanks, simply pour the powder down the barrel and tap the butt of your weapon on the ground a few times to settle it

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

HEY GAL posted:

the worst thing i ever heard happened at an ECW reenactment: it was a hot day and some cuirassier, in full harness, filled his helmet with water, poured it over himself, and promptly walked into an electric fence
Was this some kind of a weird cage match?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

HEY GAL posted:

and you can load fine without a ramrod if you're firing blanks, simply pour the powder down the barrel and tap the butt of your weapon on the ground a few times to settle it

well at least he missed the barbed wire and stack of tables

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Bum the Sad posted:

Was this some kind of a weird cage match?
"What's this? Cromwell with the steel axe taking Charles down!" :vince:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

live video from the 30yw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxldOEOnzPA

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
oops lol

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

Poor Corporal Ren Hoek.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

JaucheCharly posted:

What is a hideous amount of money? Are people actually going there with the prospect of spending 1-2k €?

A grand in euros.

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

That works? I saw it in Sharpe and assumed that was made up, since if it does work, why issue ramrods at all?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Hazzard posted:

That works? I saw it in Sharpe and assumed that was made up, since if it does work, why issue ramrods at all?

I assume because ramrods make it faster and more consistent than butt-tapping

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hazzard posted:

if you are firing blanks. if you've got a bullet you need the ramrod.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
mods: Ask me about Medieval History & Combat: more consistent than butt-tapping

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Hogge Wild posted:

mods: Ask me about Medieval History & Combat: more consistent than butt-tapping

Ramrods only, no butt stuff.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

There's also a trade-off in that tap loading works better with greater windage and consequently lower accuracy.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Robindaybird posted:

I assume because ramrods make it faster and more consistent than butt-tapping

Slower, but more consistent and less liable to leave you with a squib, a misfire, or accidentally shooting yourself in the head, all of which are generally recognized as A Bad Thing(tm).

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

I know one of the guys from that YouTube show Man At Arms where they make weapons from video games and movies. He comes to a bunch of HEMA events with some of his work and everything he makes is hot garbage. Every sword feels like twice its weight, and since he doesn't base his work on historical examples everything looks like it's from a video game or a kid's drawing. Big thick cross guards, oversized pommels, weird cross sections, etc. That's my story.

Lol that rules. I think everything Baltimore knife and sword makes looks like poo poo and the smiths I know that idolize them are lames.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
I heard you like armor and stuff.

A good place to have nearby when the zombie apocalypse happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
what a partisan post

• Locked thread