Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Sleeveless posted:

John C. Lilly was a prominent researcher in dolphin communication who, among other things, tried to unlock inter-species telepathy by giving dolphins LSD, trying to teach dolphins a computer language, and did an experiment where a human woman and a male dolphin lived together in a partially-submerged lab for ten weeks. He was also fond of experimenting on his own psyche, having invented the sensory-deprivation tank and spent countless hours using one while tripping balls on LSD and/or Ketamine.

Unsurprisingly, he wound up being unhinged and swore that aliens were communicating with him and guiding him to be humanity's savior. The alien entity he claimed to communicate with was called the Earth Coincidence Control Office. Or, for short, E.C.C.O.

When I first heard that story (The Dollop) I immediately thought of that game. In case someone hasn't played the game it doesn't stop there: the dolphins communicate telepathically in game, and the main plot of the game has to do with aliens.

I never found evidence that the game was somehow related to John C. Lilly, but what a coincidence if it wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

That man was completely insane and there's a great podcast where they read some of the stuff he did. It's NSFW because it involves a woman jerking off a dolphin.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Finally picked up a PS4 and I've been working my way through Just Cause 3 all week. I love how unrestrictive the game is when it comes to solving most of the challenges, don't like the selection of cars available for a race? Just air-drop in an F1 car in before starting and use that.

One of the early frenzy challenges, which require you to destroy as many chaos objects in an area within a minute and a half, involved using a boat with a piddly little machine gun on the front that you can't move and shoot which makes keeping your combo going really tough. I was pretty stumped by it until I realised that the game doesn't start timing you until you destroy the first object and doesn't care what you use. Ten minutes of creative tethering later I had managed to move one of the gun emplacements from the side of the area onto the top of one of the dockyard cranes with a 360 degree view of the base. First object I demolished was the boat I started in. :hellyeah:

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Holistic Detective posted:

Finally picked up a PS4 and I've been working my way through Just Cause 3 all week. I love how unrestrictive the game is when it comes to solving most of the challenges, don't like the selection of cars available for a race? Just air-drop in an F1 car in before starting and use that.

One of the early frenzy challenges, which require you to destroy as many chaos objects in an area within a minute and a half, involved using a boat with a piddly little machine gun on the front that you can't move and shoot which makes keeping your combo going really tough. I was pretty stumped by it until I realised that the game doesn't start timing you until you destroy the first object and doesn't care what you use. Ten minutes of creative tethering later I had managed to move one of the gun emplacements from the side of the area onto the top of one of the dockyard cranes with a 360 degree view of the base. First object I demolished was the boat I started in. :hellyeah:

It's like Michael Bay made a simplified Scribblenauts.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I appreciate when a game has a strong concept, and then goes bugfuck nuts with it at the earliest opportunity. Project X-Zone 2 does exactly that, by looking at the properties of three different Japanese publishers and then cramming every ninja they can from all of them into the third goddamn mission. Saner games would work up to that moment, but restraint is clearly the enemy here, and it's great.

Also, despite the game's voice acting being in Japanese, they still managed to fit in Yuri Lowenthall. One of the playable characters, from Tales of Vesperia, is named after him.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

QuietLion posted:

In Dead Space 3, you can set little scavenger bots to collect materials while you're away from a workbench. If you place the bots in the snow, they leave little trails in the snow and even leave a tiny hole if they scoot into a snowdrift. :3:

Also they are absurdly powerful; I saw one push a box that was at least four times its size!

The amount of time a slight mis-scroll made Isaac put them down very-very slowly and carefully while being mauled by ugly mutants during my playthrough was obscene.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Yeah, I've enjoyed mediocre games just because of a strong central mechanic or presentation (Project Eden, Haunted Mansion and Without Warning on PS2 come to mind)

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Aithon posted:

Bastion had a similar thing. In the ending, you can use the eponymous Bastion to reverse time to before the apocalypse - it does turn back time, but not quite far enough, and you come back to the protagonist waking up after it happened, at the very beginning of the game. You also have another option for the ending, where you don't do that. I haven't messed around enough to know if it means you just don't unlock NG+.

You unlock NG+ either way, but it only makes sense if you take the Reset option at least once. The other option is the better ending.

Speaking of Bastion, one of my favorite 'little things' of all time: In the final mission, you get a super-weapon that takes up all your equip slots. Shortly thereafter, you encounter the game's main villain being beaten to death by his allies for leading you to their base, where you gently caress poo poo up. You have the option to drop the superweapon and carry the villain to safety instead. If you take it, you lose the ability to attack at all, and have to walk through a corridor of archers unloading on you... until you get about halfway through, when they realize you're not going to fight back, and stop shooting.

That's not the little thing, though. It's beautiful in itself, but there's one more tiny little touch that's loving heart-rending. When you're almost to the level exit, one of the archers decides to take a pot-shot at you. His own commander cuts him down with one stroke so you can pass in peace and save Zulf.

Bastion is one of the best games ever and the ending is amazing.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jim DiGriz posted:

The amount of time a slight mis-scroll made Isaac put them down very-very slowly and carefully while being mauled by ugly mutants during my playthrough was obscene.

It was nice to see Isaac the space engineer do some actual space engineering but that was a really dumb system to put into what was still nominally a horror game.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I don't know if trophies count as little things in games, but I just got one titled WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU in AC: Syndicate for flipping 5 carriages by shooting (throwing knives at) their horses

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
One of the robot friends I had in Dragon Quest Heroes was named Mech Tyson.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kizudarake posted:

I don't know if trophies count as little things in games, but I just got one titled WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU in AC: Syndicate for flipping 5 carriages by shooting (throwing knives at) their horses

It's hilarious dark watching the horse die, because it goes down under the cartwheels and flips the whole thing, catapulting the Blighters riding up top into the air.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

razorrozar posted:

You unlock NG+ either way, but it only makes sense if you take the Reset option at least once. The other option is the better ending.

Speaking of Bastion, one of my favorite 'little things' of all time: In the final mission, you get a super-weapon that takes up all your equip slots. Shortly thereafter, you encounter the game's main villain being beaten to death by his allies for leading you to their base, where you gently caress poo poo up. You have the option to drop the superweapon and carry the villain to safety instead. If you take it, you lose the ability to attack at all, and have to walk through a corridor of archers unloading on you... until you get about halfway through, when they realize you're not going to fight back, and stop shooting.

That's not the little thing, though. It's beautiful in itself, but there's one more tiny little touch that's loving heart-rending. When you're almost to the level exit, one of the archers decides to take a pot-shot at you. His own commander cuts him down with one stroke so you can pass in peace and save Zulf.

That's seriously one of my favourite sequences in a game ever.

Spoilers, obviously: http://www.tubechop.com/watch/7712154

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

razorrozar posted:

It was even more tense for me because I kept using up my heals and thinking poo poo poo poo I'm not making it out alive when I finally ran out.
Supergiant basically made me a diehard fan with just one game. Kudos to them.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I feel bad because people liked Bastion a lot and I was just super bored by it :(

soundtrack is extremely my poo poo though

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
In the new Pillars of Eternity expansion one of the soulbound weapons you can get levels up by killing the gold-named self-insert Kickstarter backer characters :laffo:

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I feel bad because people liked Bastion a lot and I was just super bored by it :(

soundtrack is extremely my poo poo though

Same here but I think I can blame the auto-attacking iOS version for that since I really liked Transistor when I got that on PS4.

As for a favourite little thing:
The transition between No Mercy and Execution on Hotline Miami 2.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
1) XCOM 2 main menu includes one of your recently used soldiers stalking enemies.
2) Mods!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

There is a Deadpool voice pack that just slays me.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Fire Emblem Fates has a mechanic called 'My Castle', which is basically your base. Between battles you can talk to your soldiers, place buildings and acquire resources and items. The nice thing is that your soldiers will run the various facilities and give various bonuses (or not...), like giving you a discount on gear they can use if they're manning a shop, or affecting what bonuses you can get from your mess hall. They also say different things if you buy something to their inventory if they're currently running the shop. Its just a nice detail all around.

Plus you can get more resources and points towards making new buildings by just going to other people's castles and just grabbing stuff they have.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
The newest Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is as cutesy as you'd expect from a Pokemon game (with the inevitable darkness and sorrow that comes with the Mystery Dungeon side games), but they've massively improved almost all of the game to make it far greater than its predecessors. Pokemon no longer randomly choose to join you after defeat in a dungeon, but instead unlock as useable characters via the storyline, completing quests or simply just talking to them. With every single species available to recruit, including some alternate forms (and in at least one occasion, both genders of a Pokemon) this can lead to some Pokemon becoming permanently sidelined, but the game gently railroads you into trying different Pokemon and not just sticking to the same ones. Pokemon will be busy sometimes, which occurs more regularly with Pokemon like Dragonite or Alakazam, who join you as overpowered beasts. Also, all Pokemon that join you will gain experience and levels regardless of whether or not they go into a dungeon and unlike Gates to Infinity, you don't have to force a level up by taking them into a dungeon. Relearning moves is now free too, which makes optimizing a moveset far easier.

My favourite little thing though, is that Pokemon that were part of the previous games will refer back to those games when you deal with them. Hydreigon aka the Voice of Life from GtI appeared in the opening village and asked if I remembered him, then said "wait, no! nevermind!" Jirachi also appears as part of the main cast and alludes to his cameo in the Explorers games where he showed up in Bidoof's special episode. Funniest of all, when you tell him you're actually human, he pauses for a moment then replies that this sort of thing happens all the time. For the characters, it doesn't, but for us, this is the fourth unique addition of a series all about people becoming Pokemon :allears:

It's a fun and engaging game, which is fairly long too (I've racked up about 15-20 hours so far, and I'm nowhere near finishing the game) but feels quite well-paced.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Wasn't there a huge fan-fiction website a crazy dude made about people becoming pokemons?

Like, to "tame" a wild pokemon you had to continually rape it? It wasn't really pokemon perse, but like humanoid versions? Some people, upon puberty or something, would start exhibiting pokemon characteristics.
Of course, this then gave people free reign to capture and "tame" them.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Johnny Aztec posted:

Wasn't there a huge fan-fiction website a crazy dude made about people becoming pokemons?

Like, to "tame" a wild pokemon you had to continually rape it? It wasn't really pokemon perse, but like humanoid versions? Some people, upon puberty or something, would start exhibiting pokemon characteristics.

That'd be Pokegirls, and that's about the right description. The F Plus podcast has a fun episode reading from that website: https://thefpl.us/episode/57

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Johnny Aztec posted:

Uhh... I can confirm that is not the case in the games, but that's about it. I'm not surprised that it's a thing though.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Jesus Christ, that sure was a tonal shift. :psyduck:

Content: Not sure if it's a small thing, but I really like emeras, the new addition to Super Mystery Dungeon. They're passives that you find in dungeons and can equip on your party, but they only last for the current exploration. Most of them seem to be based on the old IQ skills and some do really good things, like let you randomly use a skill twice in a row or reflect status effects on your enemies. In other words, you get a part of the same experience you get in any other roguelike, when any equipment and items (I guess the closest analogy is rings) are generated by the RNG and you have to make do with what you get. It really adds to the game's variety. If you get a redundant or unnecessary emera, you can burn them for a stat boost lasting until the dungeon's end.

Oh, right - when they're on the ground, they also break in a certain amount of turns after you enter a room that has them, so this encourages you to move forward rather than tank up in the corridor, somewhat like Meld containers from XCOM. This adds a bit of a risk/reward component to them.

In general, the entire mechanic is just full of little design things. The devs really wanted these items to help you or enhance your experience in every possible scenario. :3:

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.

Aithon posted:

Content: Not sure if it's a small thing, but I really like enemas, the new addition to Super Mystery Dungeon.

With Pokegirls chat happening right before this it took me 3 rereads to realize this is not what you said

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Xythe posted:

With Pokegirls chat happening right before this it took me 3 rereads to realize this is not what you said

They corrupt everything. :stonk:

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Oh my God. So, every PMD game has a twist to the story, and they're usually pretty well telegraphed but you'll often get thrown for a loop. Well. I just hit the crisis point of the storyline and they do a hell of a job with hitting you with the shock factor.
STORYLINE SPOILERS: I had my suspicions about Nuzleaf being a baddie, but it was still a surprise when he turned out to be evil. A bigger surprise was when they hit me with the whammy of Espurr revealing she's working for Nuzleaf, having been corrupted by Dark Matter! I think my jaw dropped a little.

The only negative I've found really is how hard the dungeons get. It's been a real slog the last few dungeons, and the unpleasant discovery of Hypnosis' new side effect actually made me rage quit when I was made to eat all of my Reviver Seeds by a Gastly spamming it

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Roro posted:

The only negative I've found really is how hard the dungeons get. It's been a real slog the last few dungeons, and the unpleasant discovery of Hypnosis' new side effect actually made me rage quit when I was made to eat all of my Reviver Seeds by a Gastly spamming it

Seems like this is a pretty common thing in PMD games. In at least Explorers the fact that you couldn't evolve until well into the post game was a massive loving roadblock and made the end-game dungeons much, much more difficult.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

razorrozar posted:

Seems like this is a pretty common thing in PMD games. In at least Explorers the fact that you couldn't evolve until well into the post game was a massive loving roadblock and made the end-game dungeons much, much more difficult.

You're unable to evolve in every game until you beat the main story and finish a certain amount of post game story. It's pretty obnoxious to be honest, and even though PSMD was improved by letting you use Pokemon in non-story dungeon that weren't the MCs, it just makes it more jarring when you're forced into a dungeon with high level mooks as a pair of unevolved starters.
I guess the emphasis is meant to be on using items? But the return of the hunger bar and the dire need of reviver items makes it hard to keep things like orbs and wands at the top of your priorities.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

That brings me to an actual small thing: Oran Berries, the main healing item, now not only heal you to full, but also give you some 10 temporary HP that lasts until the end of the exploration. This is a lot, normal max HP for my level being 50-60. Thanks to this, you can't actually be caught in a loop of getting damaged, healing and never getting to do anything. (Granted, if an enemy does most of your HP in damage in one round, you're probably screwed anyway unless you have status ailments or they keep missing.)

And yeah, being unable to evolve is a big pain. I chose a Mudkip because I wanted to be able to sling Earthquakes around, but it turns out only the evolutions can learn it and a lot of other powerful Ground moves. :(

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I played the original Red Dungeon game a decade ago and I stopped playing when the storyline finished. It felt too jarring to go from an emotional apex to a plotless grind, and your two main characters become mute and irrelevant.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
I finally tried out Gone Home last night. So many little things can be found with just a little digging, my favorite so far: your characters dad in the game is a failed writer and there's quite a few boxes of his stinker of a second novel laying around the new house they've been shipped to. In one of the boxes, if you skim off a layer of the books, one by one, it reveals his awesome collection of 90s porno mags, which as far as I can tell show further proof that he's failing as a husband as well. I'm not sure on that last part yet but I do believe I've found some evidence of his wife gallivanting around with another man. so far so good, I've never quite experienced a "game" like this that wants you to put the story together for yourself.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
My gf and I have been playing through Broforce, which if you don't know is a collection of every action hero ever made even more ridiculously buff and renamed to include the word "Bro" (Rambro, Brobocop, McBrover, etc) fighting communists, aliens, and Satan. The levels are completely destructible, every bro plays differently, and you don't get to choose who you play as so it's always a bit different. I really love it, it's a super fun local multiplayer game that I highly recommend. Anyways, as I mentioned before you don't get to choose who you play as, which means whenever you get an extra life you change randomly, same with level transitions. For the communist levels, you beat them by dangling below a helicopter as it flies away and things explode. Then for the aliens you ride one of those giant diagonally-moving elevator platforms, then you take ziplines, and finally at the end of the game you start going through hell-portals. My favorite little thing is that, if at the beginning of one of the portal levels you randomly roll Ash Brolliams (Ash Williams from Evil Dead) the portal spits you out, along with The Classic, just like the beginning of Army of Darkness. None of the other characters get custom entrances like this, and seeing as there are an absolute poo poo-ton of Bros in the game it is definitely not guaranteed to happen ever.

It was so loving awesome seeing it happen the first time and being like, why the hell is a car falling out... OHHHHHH!

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Samfucius posted:

My gf and I have been playing through Broforce, which if you don't know is a collection of every action hero ever made even more ridiculously buff and renamed to include the word "Bro" (Rambro, Brobocop, McBrover, etc) fighting communists, aliens, and Satan. The levels are completely destructible, every bro plays differently, and you don't get to choose who you play as so it's always a bit different. I really love it, it's a super fun local multiplayer game that I highly recommend. Anyways, as I mentioned before you don't get to choose who you play as, which means whenever you get an extra life you change randomly, same with level transitions. For the communist levels, you beat them by dangling below a helicopter as it flies away and things explode. Then for the aliens you ride one of those giant diagonally-moving elevator platforms, then you take ziplines, and finally at the end of the game you start going through hell-portals. My favorite little thing is that, if at the beginning of one of the portal levels you randomly roll Ash Brolliams (Ash Williams from Evil Dead) the portal spits you out, along with The Classic, just like the beginning of Army of Darkness. None of the other characters get custom entrances like this, and seeing as there are an absolute poo poo-ton of Bros in the game it is definitely not guaranteed to happen ever.

It was so loving awesome seeing it happen the first time and being like, why the hell is a car falling out... OHHHHHH!

drat I never saw that.

If you have Playstation Plus it looks like Broforce is going to be free next month. Broforce is real fun and good.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In Uncharted, a running gag unlockable is "Doughnut Drake", a real fat version of Drake that has appeared in each game so far (including the Vita one!) He looks like this:

In Uncharted 2 and 3, they improved this unlockable further by making Donut Drake's voice a deeper pitch while you are trundling around with him!

Future Uncharted games take it a step even further by no longer limiting the donut character gag to Drake!

There's Donut Sully!

Donut Lazarevic!

Donut Eddy Raja! And more!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 23:14 on Feb 22, 2016

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
I seem to remember there being points in at least one of the games where you have to squeeze through really tight gaps. Did they change the animation for Doughnut Drake or does he just clip like hell?

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

He should just charge through and leave a Looney Tunes-esque, Drake-shaped hole in the wall

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Samfucius posted:

I seem to remember there being points in at least one of the games where you have to squeeze through really tight gaps. Did they change the animation for Doughnut Drake or does he just clip like hell?

Oh they didn't even care about him clipping through poo poo all over the place, which imo makes it better somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In Until Dawn you find clues for the various mysteries in the game and there's a menu where you can look at them again. An interesting thing they do is as you learn other things the clues will update with explanations. Like everything with the Psycho gets little notes explaining what they mean once you learn their identity.