Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Endless Mike posted:

Case manufacturers getting their naming schemes from Capcom, I see.

If it was Capcom they would release an overpriced half case now, release the rest of the case in 3 months, and then release a revised case that actually works next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

KoB posted:

I didnt want to uninstall it but I eventually got fed up and learned I cant get rid of it on the 5X. Is there some way I can get it to go away?

You can't uninstall most preloaded apps, but you can get the same effect by disabling them in [Android Settings > Apps].

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

BoyBlunder posted:

I use a Rhinoshield - it's $25USD, but it's solid as hell.

Unfortunately that seems to be the only one. Many users on reddit have said it's just too thick and makes the device too wide to hold, ala Nexus 6.

I too am waiting for a decent bumper because the white 6P is awesome and I don't want to cover it with a black case.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
There are clear cases like the one I mentioned above that I got for that exact reason, too

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

There are clear cases like the one I mentioned above that I got for that exact reason, too

That's what I've got, but it's not a bumper :(

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SB35 posted:

Unfortunately that seems to be the only one. Many users on reddit have said it's just too thick and makes the device too wide to hold, ala Nexus 6.
It's also not available in the UK so no good for me anyway.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I'm getting quite excessive battery drain from Spotify just being on in the background on my LG G4. Even when I haven't used it to play anything, it'll be like 30% of my 20% used battery, way higher than my screen even when I've done some moderate browsing. Thankfully it stays closed when I close it, and offline mode is fine, so it's not a huge issue, but what the hell is it even trying to do?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I would like to report that since I switched to CyanogenMod 12 on my 2014 Moto X, I have not experienced the bluetooth bug where a podcast player (maybe any audio player?) won't resume on bluetooth after just being stopped while on headphones. Truly, I am amazed.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

vyst posted:

So will I be able to remove my battery this cycle?

Yes, if you go with LG:
http://www.droid-life.com/2016/02/19/lg-g5-battery-magic-slot/

Edit: additional LG G5 leak:

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/700725441544458241

Rastor fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 19, 2016

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
I've got a not rooted Verizon LG G3, and I updated it to Marshmallow last night. Now, when i double tap the screen to lock it, the screen off animation/effect(?) is gone. I know the effect was called something like "Television Off", because I remember there being a setting for this, and now it's gone. Is this something that got blown away, or am I not looking in the right spot for this now ? I've looked through Display, Home Screen, Lock Screen, nada.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I remember reading an article saying they'd Google had removed the screen off animation, so I'd assume you're not missing any setting

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
How do you know which quick chargers work with the Nexus 6p? I left mine when I went on vacation so I need another one.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MREBoy posted:

I've got a not rooted Verizon LG G3, and I updated it to Marshmallow last night. Now, when i double tap the screen to lock it, the screen off animation/effect(?) is gone. I know the effect was called something like "Television Off", because I remember there being a setting for this, and now it's gone. Is this something that got blown away, or am I not looking in the right spot for this now ? I've looked through Display, Home Screen, Lock Screen, nada.

Didn't that disappear in like, Jelly Bean on Nexus phones? That's been deprecated for years, that I'm sure about.

fjom
Mar 6, 2006
Lurker Extraordinaire

KoB posted:

Picked up a 5X a couple weeks ago and one little thing has been driving me nuts.

All I listen to on my phone are podcasts with pocketcasts. Every few days when my headphone/car connect to bluetooth and I try to play something, it just starts playing tracks from my google music account. Ive never opened google music myself and yet it just starts playing the same track every time. My Nexus 5 never did this.

I didnt want to uninstall it but I eventually got fed up and learned I cant get rid of it on the 5X. Is there some way I can get it to go away?

You are me! (except I am getting the 5x in a couple months) You could disable Google Music as someone suggested above. What I did is install an app called "Bluetooth connect and play" and set the default app to Pocket Casts (You can even have different apps depending on what BT device is connected). There are still occasional glitches where Google Play Music starts instead of Pocket Casts, but most of the time it works as expected.

While we are on that topic, is there any way to easily switch the audio from the headphone port to the bluetooth device and viceversa?

Something like this IOS button to select where the audio plays?

It seems like a really basic thing, but I haven't been able to find a decent answer/solution for this.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Look for the Cast icon in the app. In Play Music it shows at the bottom middle of the album art.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

You're looking for something like this:

The Last Poet
Oct 9, 2001
Does anyone know how Android/Photos/VLC orders videos ? I'd like to see Show/Season/Episode but see just a list of episodes or folders for the seasons. I've got them on the filesystem in that structure and have tried tagging them as well but can't get them to order as expected.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Something is wrong with my LG G4. About an hour ago it locked up while I was trying to send a text in hangouts. None of the buttons were responding so I pulled the battery. When I popped it back in and try to turn it on, the LG Splash screen appears but then thats it, it won't go any further. The LG splash screen will disappear for a second and come back but nothing else happens. It charges when I plug it in but nothing else.

When I was using it earlier I got a little sweat on the phone but I have a screen protector and it wasn't drenched or anything. The screen has a pretty hefty case on it too so while I've dropped it a couple of times here and there, its been fine. Any clue whats up?

I'm trying to access Safe Mode by holding volume down at the LG screen but nothing happens.

visuvius fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 20, 2016

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

visuvius posted:

Something is wrong with my LG G4. About an hour ago it locked up while I was trying to send a text in hangouts. None of the buttons were responding so I pulled the battery. When I popped it back in and try to turn it on, the LG Splash screen appears but then thats it, it won't go any further. The LG splash screen will disappear for a second and come back but nothing else happens. It charges when I plug it in but nothing else.

When I was using it earlier I got a little sweat on the phone but I have a screen protector and it wasn't drenched or anything. The screen has a pretty hefty case on it too so while I've dropped it a couple of times here and there, its been fine. Any clue whats up?

I'm trying to access Safe Mode by holding volume down at the LG screen but nothing happens.

If you can't get it to boot into recovery I'd put my money on a hardware failure.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Desk Lamp posted:

If you can't get it to boot into recovery I'd put my money on a hardware failure.

That is such a bummer. Yeah I'm trying the Safe Mode thing and it just sits there on the LG screen the whole time. I'm hoping LG covers whatever is wrong with it and that it doesn't turn out to be like water damage from sweat or something.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
FWIW Sammobile is posting shots of promotional copy from carriers that show that the S7 has 3000mah battery vs 3600 for the S7E.

Also the new camera module sounds fairly ridiculous, 12MP, 1/2.5 sensor with 1.4 micron pixels.

Also, ip67 without a flappy cover for the usb port.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Also Samsung

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

Also Samsung

Some people consider this a good feature over some alternative features like OPO or HTC.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ihmemies posted:

Some people consider this a good feature over some alternative features like OPO or HTC.

I, too, prefer to drink piss instead of eating poo poo. Actually that's a bad analogy because OPO is certainly worse in every way from Samsung.

That said, I've heard many, many, many developers note how Samsung devices are broken in weird subtle ways because of Samsung's...skill at software writing but I've never heard of them complaining of LG and HTC exhibiting the same quirks. Would anyone in the know care to clarify if it's because Samsung is exceptionally bad at software or if simple marketshare makes Samsung complaints the loudest and most common?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Both, probably. Samsung has always had a bad habit of reinventing the wheel.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's also worth noting that Samsung are nowhere near as bad as they used to be for that, and it's usually the cheap poo poo Samsungs that are bad for it. The Galaxy Ace was responsible for probably 75% of the "// Stupid hack to fix [...]" comments we had to write on a project a couple of years back because all of the clients users had Samsung phones and they'd insist that it worked properly on all their stupid lovely phones urgh.

These days (totally different company to above) probably 80% of our crash reports come from S4s or S5s but they generally aren't device specific and this is just indicative of how popular these devices are.

We do see more out-of-memory bullshit errors from Samsung devices, even accounting for market share, so they still seem to gently caress around with that because what could go wrong, right Samsung?

Tunga fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Feb 20, 2016

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

visuvius posted:

Sounds like the well-know boot loop issue.

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone...g-a-fix-1313769

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Flg3nZr6nU

orange sky
May 7, 2007

So, I'm switching from a Moto G 2nd Gen to a new phone, and I want to keep using Android.

So far I've seen:

OnePlus 2 - bad support, right? But the specs look so drat good.
Moto X Style - I like Motorola, I had the 1st gen moto G and bought the 2nd gen after that, maybe the X Style is a good switch

Is there anything else I should look at? Around the 300-400 € price tag? (I'm in Portugal, so keep that in mind, I don't know about phone availability for stuff like Nexus)

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

LastInLine posted:

Didn't that disappear in like, Jelly Bean on Nexus phones? That's been deprecated for years, that I'm sure about.

They only killed it off in L

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

orange sky posted:

So, I'm switching from a Moto G 2nd Gen to a new phone, and I want to keep using Android.

So far I've seen:

OnePlus 2 - bad support, right? But the specs look so drat good.
Moto X Style - I like Motorola, I had the 1st gen moto G and bought the 2nd gen after that, maybe the X Style is a good switch

Is there anything else I should look at? Around the 300-400 € price tag? (I'm in Portugal, so keep that in mind, I don't know about phone availability for stuff like Nexus)

I went from a second gen Moto G to a Moto X Pure and am very happy with it. I have some minor Bluetooth connectivity problems, but from my research it seems to be more an android 6.0 problem than a Moto X problem.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I went from a second gen Moto G to a Moto X Pure and am very happy with it. I have some minor Bluetooth connectivity problems, but from my research it seems to be more an android 6.0 problem than a Moto X problem.

Only thing I'm scared about with moto X is the size, 5.5 or 5.7 seems huge for my hand I don't know if it's practical at all.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Motorolla has reneged on their promise to upgrade the 2013 Droid Ultra/Maxx/Mini to 5.0 and are offering people $100 of Droid Maxx 2 or Turbo 2

Thanks Lenovo!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Why so quick to blame it on Lenovo? Could ha e been Verizon saying gently caress it, we don't wanna spend anymore money on QA testing updates for these phones we sold 3 years ago.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Why so quick to blame it on Lenovo? Could ha e been Verizon saying gently caress it, we don't wanna spend anymore money on QA testing updates for these phones we sold 3 years ago.

The whole 2013 series from Motorola, including the Droid-branded phones and the Moto X, were basically all built around the same core platform. They updated the Verizon Moto X from 2013, but IIRC they publicly stated it took longer than expected because of their customization around the CPU.

It doesn't seem out of the realm of possibilities at all that Lenovo had the update and Verizon just wouldn't schedule the validation and release. It's like that time when they shipped 4.0 for the Thunderbolt sometime at the end of 2012, despite a leak of the same OTA having come out literally months earlier. It was as if Verizon found the upgrade image behind the couch or something and had the spare capacity to ship it.

The $100 coupon seems pretty useless, since it's only good toward a carrier-exclusive model that has an extremely high likelihood of getting shorted on an update again.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Up to date N6P using messenger. I've got a weird issue. I deleted a text thread at the same moment a new message came in. The new message got deleted (it was a "your table is ready" notice for dinner last night) but it never got "read" so messenger still thinks I have a new text. Now Nova is showing a badge for a new text, and dashclock is still showing a new text notice. It's annoying.

Any way to tell it to shut up without clearing all my texts? Getting a new text in a different conversation didn't fix it.

E: nm. Putting in that phone number to send a text to brought up the deleted conversation. It's gone. Yay.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 20, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Verizon subscribers are the way they are.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Called it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Never don't Nexus.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Look, lg g5 appears, just as in the leaks: 2800mAh removable battery, clicky power button/fingerprint sensor, sd card slot, IR blaster, and some weird accessories: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/02/lg-g5-hands-on-lg-may-have-made-the-most-innovative-phone-of-mwc/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Ihmemies posted:

Look, lg g5 appears, just as in the leaks: 2800mAh removable battery, clicky power button/fingerprint sensor, sd card slot, IR blaster, and some weird accessories: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/02/lg-g5-hands-on-lg-may-have-made-the-most-innovative-phone-of-mwc/

Idk it actually seems really nice, especially for an android. I'd definitely consider getting one to play with while waiting for the iPhone 7 to come out.