Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Night Danger Moose posted:

Congrats! Hope you get it soon.

I'm starting to look into building an ST for myself. It'll be my first new car and first manual, upgrading from an '06 Jetta TDI. I apologize in advance to every driver stuck behind me as I stall 84 times at every stoplight.

This is going to be my first manual daily too. We can be cool stall bros. The ST would have been what I bought if they hadn't announced the RS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

KidDynamite posted:

This is going to be my first manual daily too. We can be cool stall bros. The ST would have been what I bought if they hadn't announced the RS.

Lol you two will have zero problems

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

You won't stall. It even has a brake it engages for you if you are on a hill so you don't roll backwards.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I've had mine for over a year and I stalled it the other day. Hadn't happened in quite a while.

Oops.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I've had my FiST around 8 months now and I stalled it for the first time the other day, not even launching but coming to a stop and for whatever stupid reason my instinct failed me and my left foot stayed where it was until it was too late. I'm pretty sure that's a personal record, every other manual car I've had I had stalled once or twice at least early on while figuring it out. I don't know what voodoo magic makes for the difference but I like it.

It was a bit more embarrassing than usual to stall this though, since my hand automatically went for where the key would normally be which led to a bit of a brain reboot when nothing was there.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Every time I switch back to the Fiesta after driving the Miata for a while I stall because the clutch pedals feel so different.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Probably has a clutch delay valve you could remove.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I found the STs to have a super vague clutch feel compared to other cars. I'm sure you adjust to it eventually but it was disconcerting. I couldn't rev match on downshifts at all. Sorry person who eventually buys the cars I test drove :v:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Christobevii3 posted:

Probably has a clutch delay valve you could remove.

This. Almost everything comes with a CDV these days. Combine that with drive by wire systems and a computer and it's almost impossible to stall a car without just dumping the clutch.

I've managed to stall mine twice so far though. Both times because the car is so quiet at idle that I forget its running. Hit the parking brake, dump the clutch, lurch, oops.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

PaintVagrant posted:

I found the STs to have a super vague clutch feel compared to other cars. I'm sure you adjust to it eventually but it was disconcerting. I couldn't rev match on downshifts at all. Sorry person who eventually buys the cars I test drove :v:

I had the same feeling, hated that loving clutch (DMF?).

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

veedubfreak posted:

I've managed to stall mine twice so far though. Both times because the car is so quiet at idle that I forget its running. Hit the parking brake, dump the clutch, lurch, oops.

I'm ashamed to say that I did this at lunch today. It was the second time in my 14 months of ownership. Especially if there are tunes playing, it's impossible to tell by feel that the car is running or not. Thought I had hit the on/off button, then got a message on my phone that I decided to look at before opening the door, 30 seconds later, release clutch to get out.. *lurch*... Damnit!

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
If you own a manual, you'll stall out every once and awhile. It's a little embarrassing and it gets more infrequent over time.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

The Locator posted:

I'm ashamed to say that I did this at lunch today. It was the second time in my 14 months of ownership. Especially if there are tunes playing, it's impossible to tell by feel that the car is running or not. Thought I had hit the on/off button, then got a message on my phone that I decided to look at before opening the door, 30 seconds later, release clutch to get out.. *lurch*... Damnit!

Heh, I did it this Tuesday, which is why it was fresh in my memory. Another fun trick is to hit the electric parking brake before you actually come to a full stop. Only managed to pull that stunt once and I was on a still snowpacked road about to grab my mail.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
Even after driving my (first manual) Speed3 for 2 years, I'd still stall it out like once a week or so. I think I've stalled my GTI like, twice since I got it a month and a half ago.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
People with Speed3s or STs, if you swap the rear motor mount, you will never again forget that your car is running when it's at idle.

I don't stall much any more, but I still ratch a shift into second or third every couple of weeks or so.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
On shifting.

My Focus ST takes noticeably more force to move the stick from 1st to 2nd than any other gear, when driving.

If I downshift into second, and get a decent double clutch rev match, it slides in like butter. Single clutch with rev matching doesn't seem as stiff either.

Is this expected or does my 2nd gear have some kind of issue?

Regarding the cobb rear motor mount, how much extra vibration are we talking about? I kinda like that this car doesn't try to shake itself apart at idle like every other 4 cylinder I've driven.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I've never noticed 2nd gear being harder to shift into. I'll try to pay attention specifically for that when I go out later today.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

The Ferret King posted:

On shifting.

My Focus ST takes noticeably more force to move the stick from 1st to 2nd than any other gear, when driving.

If I downshift into second, and get a decent double clutch rev match, it slides in like butter. Single clutch with rev matching doesn't seem as stiff either.

Is this expected or does my 2nd gear have some kind of issue?

Regarding the cobb rear motor mount, how much extra vibration are we talking about? I kinda like that this car doesn't try to shake itself apart at idle like every other 4 cylinder I've driven.

It added an unbearable amount to my 3cyl focus. If you're in the Portland area you're welcome to try mine and see how you like it

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Does anyone here drive anything with or know much about the fiat turbo twinair engine?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

That's the one in the abarth? HoldBrooks has one of those still right?

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

wolrah posted:

It was a bit more embarrassing than usual to stall this though, since my hand automatically went for where the key would normally be which led to a bit of a brain reboot when nothing was there.

We replaced my wife's old 2003 Mazda 6 with a 2016 on Saturday and every time either one of us has driven it, we reach for the non-existent key. Hard habit to break after 25+ years of driving cars with the ignition on the steering column.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

WescottF1 posted:

We replaced my wife's old 2003 Mazda 6 with a 2016 on Saturday and every time either one of us has driven it, we reach for the non-existent key. Hard habit to break after 25+ years of driving cars with the ignition on the steering column.

I do this still on mine also. Although I'm having more of a problem where I always forget to grab the keys from the ignition when I drive something without keyless. The good thing about KESSY is that if I ever can't remember if I grabbed my keys or not, the fact that I'm in the car and it's running tells me they are on my person somewhere :)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

WescottF1 posted:

I've gotten so used to keyless that any time I have to drive my wife's car there is a 50-50 chance I'll jab my finger in the ignition.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KakerMix posted:

I've gotten so used to keyless that any time I have to drive my wife's car there is a 50-50 chance I'll jab my finger in the ignition.

VW was nice enough to put the start/stop button right next to the mode switch. There have been a few reports of people turning the car off while trying to switch modes :v:

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Is it too early to speculate about the Fiesta redesign (allegedly 2017)?

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
If I remember right, someone in here was speaking highly of ProClip phone mounts some time ago, so I picked one up for my 2014 FiST (the one that clips onto the dash by the vents, ). Problem is, it does not seem to fit.

This is the model that I have: http://www.proclipusa.com/dashboard-mounts/vehicle/ford/fiesta/2011-2017/proclip-angled-mount-854539-14555.cmsv?p_leftorright=0

It's entirely likely that I'm doing it wrong, but it seems like the dash contour is different than what the clip is made for. The instructions have photos, but they appear to be of the standard Fiesta. Doesn't surprise me, but can someone confirm that the clip will work with the ST?

I didn't realize that the piece that holds the phone won't work if the phone has a case on it, so I'm already going to have to send that piece back (and maybe get one of their universal mounts). But if the dash clip won't work with my car I'll just send back the whole thing.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Is it too early to speculate about the Fiesta redesign (allegedly 2017)?

If that's the case then I need to offload my '14 ST before the new style comes out and kills my resale. I didn't realize this generation launched in 2008. 9 years for a sub-compact car is a pretty long life. I'm surprised it hasn't been replaced yet.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Capn Jobe posted:

If I remember right, someone in here was speaking highly of ProClip phone mounts some time ago, so I picked one up for my 2014 FiST (the one that clips onto the dash by the vents, ). Problem is, it does not seem to fit.

This is the model that I have: http://www.proclipusa.com/dashboard-mounts/vehicle/ford/fiesta/2011-2017/proclip-angled-mount-854539-14555.cmsv?p_leftorright=0

It's entirely likely that I'm doing it wrong, but it seems like the dash contour is different than what the clip is made for. The instructions have photos, but they appear to be of the standard Fiesta. Doesn't surprise me, but can someone confirm that the clip will work with the ST?

I didn't realize that the piece that holds the phone won't work if the phone has a case on it, so I'm already going to have to send that piece back (and maybe get one of their universal mounts). But if the dash clip won't work with my car I'll just send back the whole thing.

I have one in my '15 (should be the same) and it installed just fine. Here is a series of pictures

I did a hack job of an old magnetic mount I had and combined it with the proclip phone holder. gently caress paying them $50 for a magnet.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 24, 2016

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

BoostCreep posted:

If that's the case then I need to offload my '14 ST before the new style comes out and kills my resale. I didn't realize this generation launched in 2008. 9 years for a sub-compact car is a pretty long life. I'm surprised it hasn't been replaced yet.

Unless they ruin the next edition (please no please god no)

Unrelated, why does blue candy only come on the regular fiesta and not the ST?

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Is this the thread where I can talk about how much I like my non-GTI 2015 Golf? I got it in the blue color which is similar but different from the R's blue, so I'll occasionally get dudes in GTI's who pull up next to me wanting to race and I'm like "I can go 80 if it's downhill."

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

101 pages in, I finally get to vote in the poll.

I don't have enough words for how excited I am to have this thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Best color too.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Congrats. It's a pretty fun car to drive, I've got 28k miles on mine now.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Sweet color. Enjoy!

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.

'Sup fellow Annapolis goon! I just bought a 2014 FoST from Bayside Nissan on Riva Road. Huge upgrade from my Sonic. I'll wave if I see you.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

ltugo posted:

'Sup fellow Annapolis goon! I just bought a 2014 FoST from Bayside Nissan on Riva Road. Huge upgrade from my Sonic. I'll wave if I see you.
Noice! What colour, so I can wave? I see a red one running around West Street a lot, and a yellow one parked with a bunch of Shelby decals.

I still have problems starting on an incline but I'm slowly getting more confident. Only stalled her once yesterday. The Recaros are a weird adjustment to make but I think I like them.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Anyone added a lsd to their fwd hatch? How much did you hate life doing it? Worth it?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Christobevii3 posted:

Anyone added a lsd to their fwd hatch? How much did you hate life doing it? Worth it?

Mine came with one ;) (and isnt technically a hatch)

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

ScrubLeague posted:

Is this the thread where I can talk about how much I like my non-GTI 2015 Golf? I got it in the blue color which is similar but different from the R's blue, so I'll occasionally get dudes in GTI's who pull up next to me wanting to race and I'm like "I can go 80 if it's downhill."

Oddly enough, with my R being black, everyone just assumes it's a plain Golf. Just hit 5000 miles today and still loving it. Not loving the 3 foot long multiscratch rear end in a top hat art on my rear quarter panel. Through the dirt, through the opticoat, through the clear, through the paint, at least it didn't make it to metal. I hate people so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2017-honda-civic-hatchback-concept-photos-and-info-news

Si and Type R apparently incoming.