Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prav
Oct 29, 2011

incandescents own. rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

You Are A Elf posted:

Older people get defensive and pissy about incandescent light bulbs, too. "drat gubmints and their planned obsolescence! I like my lightbulbs to waste 95% of energy in heat and give off only 5% of visible light!! :bahgawd:"

My whole place is LED bulbs, I could leave every single light on 24/7/365, and my energy bill would still be cheap as poo poo, but "They're taking away our freedom to buy the light bulbs I grew up with!! :bahgawd:"
when i was like 10 i convinced my dad to replace every incandescent bulb in the house with fluorescent because i was reeeeally into "going green" when i was a kid. he told me that he was just doing this to appease me and that it wouldn't actually help anything.

over 8 years later and i don't think we've had to replace more than 3 or 4 of those bulbs

:grin:

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

im only bummed about not being able to find the big frosted christmas bulbs in primary colors anymore

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm fully LED'd out too, even my larger lights have a bunch of tiny LEDs inside them, e.g.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

You Are A Elf posted:

Older people get defensive and pissy about incandescent light bulbs, too. "drat gubmints and their planned obsolescence! I like my lightbulbs to waste 95% of energy in heat and give off only 5% of visible light!! :bahgawd:"

My whole place is LED bulbs, I could leave every single light on 24/7/365, and my energy bill would still be cheap as poo poo, but "They're taking away our freedom to buy the light bulbs I grew up with!! :bahgawd:"

if you have electric heat, incandescents are a better deal for every month you're running a heater.
If you have gas heat, that means that you don't have a nuclear power or hydro plant providing your energy and can gently caress off

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Led are expensive at the purchase point, they can't see beyond today. Pretty clear really.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

im gaye posted:

im only bummed about not being able to find the big frosted christmas bulbs in primary colors anymore

I so want an old 80s style christmas tree with massive primary coloured bulbs and garish garland, but my husband whined that it would be too tacky and that the cats would eat the garland, we had cats in the 80s damnit and they never ate the goddamn garland.

Also for content, it pisses me off that this is apparently the accepted identity of my goddamn profession. :negative:
(nevermind that apparently all graphic designers are apple addicts, I have a PC damnit and I love it )

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I"m the assuredly self-titled "graphic designer" positing that chucks are form over function lmao

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i wear Chuck's because i like the way they look and they're pretty cheap. they're flimsy as gently caress though so :laffo: at saying they have good form or function

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

woah, drinking COFFEE? graphic designers are freaking MANIACS!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
NO time to chat! I am so busy that I actually need to drink a mild, socially acceptable stimulant to get this work done!

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Jonny 290 posted:

NO time to chat! I am so busy that I actually need to drink a mild, socially acceptable stimulant to get this work done!

you're actually mad about people drinking coffee aren't you

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

les fleurs du mall posted:

you're actually mad about people drinking coffee aren't you

i dont know about anybody else but i am mad

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jonny 290 posted:

Coffee ain't no millenials invention you loving baby

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

symbolic posted:

i wear Chuck's because i like the way they look and they're pretty cheap. they're flimsy as gently caress though so :laffo: at saying they have good form or function

Form over function actually means "useless but looks cool" you dumbo.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

notZaar posted:

well gently caress

i thought form referred to the technical design while function was how the form actively withstood outside conditions

gently caress

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Style over substance

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Style over substance
ok, this makes more sense

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

symbolic posted:

Chucks have lovely arch support, get PF Flyers instead.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

notZaar posted:

Yeah like... they are basketball shoes but like 90% of people wearing them today would never play basketball. Same as people wearing Vans don't actually skate and guys in Timberlands are not actually construction workers.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Sailor Viy posted:

guys in Timberlands are not actually construction workers.
i don't think i've ever seen the Timberlands trend talked about in this thread. it's gotten to the point where i see girls in leggings wearing them around campus. they're unwieldy, gaudy, and incredibly ugly, yet somehow, millennials and Gen Zers love them. i don't even know anymore, man.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snatch Duster posted:

Coffee ain't no millenials invention you loving baby

Coffee, no... But "single source" bespoke $5 pour overs, maybe.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

symbolic posted:

i don't think i've ever seen the Timberlands trend talked about in this thread. it's gotten to the point where i see girls in leggings wearing them around campus. they're unwieldy, gaudy, and incredibly ugly, yet somehow, millennials and Gen Zers love them. i don't even know anymore, man.
Timberlands have been a fad for nearly 20 years now. They have surpassed fad territory.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Khorne posted:

Timberlands have been a fad for nearly 20 years now. They have surpassed fad territory.
i must not have noticed, as i've only seen everybody wearing them in the past 4 or 5 years

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

symbolic posted:

i must not have noticed, as i've only seen everybody wearing them in the past 4 or 5 years

well for one thing you are not even 20 years old, at your age there are still things you are "just noticing" on the reg

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

mdm posted:

well for one thing you are not even 20 years old, at your age there are still things you are "just noticing" on the reg
this is true

Timberlands are still ugly as gently caress though

Khorne
May 1, 2002

symbolic posted:

It has actually been more than 20 years. It is/was a big rap thing.

"Don't make sense goin to heaven with the goodie goodies dressed in white, I like black timbs and black hoodies." from biggie's suicidal thoughts in '95.

Wu-Tang, Mobb Deep, 50 Cent, Jadakiss, The Game, and Cassidy also definitely wore/probably rapped about timberlands. I'm sure there are countless more.

Pretty sure they sponsor rappers.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 20, 2016

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
timberlands were really popular circa like 2000-2005

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Rough like Timberland wear, yeah

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Sailor Viy posted:

Yeah like... they are basketball shoes but like 90% of people wearing them today would never play basketball. Same as people wearing Vans don't actually skate and guys in Timberlands are not actually construction workers.

I use All Stars as my weightlifting shoes because they are flat and thin. I can't imagine running around in them for 90 minutes, wouldn't that totally waste your feet? Gotta have some arch support for that.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I thought Helvetica was starting to be on the outs since it was becoming the design equivalent of the Wilhelm scream.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

You Are A Elf posted:

LED is worse for your eyes (if you want to sleep).

nomadologique posted:

here are crust punks

they only ever wear green brown black or red, 50% of them have dogs, and you can often see them standing at busy city intersections begging for money for the train/bus, often w a sign that says "NEW IN TOWN NEED $$ TO LEAVE"

you can usually smell them before you see them, if they're on th emove they have huge backpacks, and they never travel alone

They make good music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0dUnoecoZ0

Eskaton fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 21, 2016

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
I think people would eventually migrate to the better bulbs on their own and the government mandating it has more to do with GE rent seeking than environmental policy.

The real revolution of LED lighting is that anybody can grow weed at home without 300 watt traditional "grow lights".

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Some celebrity wore it once, so every douchey-looking guy wears it now.

I'm thinking of getting a balaclava plus an electric razor and engaging in some shaving pranks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8YgTaMyZRk

I like how the guy with the curly moustache and ear plugs says 'What is THAT even about?' when talking about man buns.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

TheMostFrench posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8YgTaMyZRk

I like how the guy with the curly moustache and ear plugs says 'What is THAT even about?' when talking about man buns.
It's not a real mustache. I wish the video were real because of all the people crying assault over it, but it's not.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdtDumm2LK0

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

lmbo

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

symbolic posted:

this is true

Timberlands are still ugly as gently caress though

Whoa yor 19 y/o? Me too

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=h...2=0&authorName=

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

he probably bought one with a semi-automatic transmission and didn't realize he was driving in first gear redlining it all the time because lol millenial

• Locked thread