Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I am pretty sure this is the real development cycle for star citizen though,

paaarpp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

hottubrhymemachine posted:

What's the Xbox one version like and can they play with PC people? (I dont own an xbone)
They share and participate in the same universe, so affect the same background sim (console and PC players contribute to the same Community Goals for example). They can't directly play with each other though, because their patch cycles aren't synced up. IIRC they said keeping console and PC versions identical meant potentially holding up PC patches/features to wait for console certification, which is something they didn't want to do. So if you want to be CUTTING EDGE, the PC version is the way to go.

As for differences, not a lot as far as I know. The PC version already worked really well with a controller, but there's maybe a few minor UI tweaks for the Xbox version.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
How familiar are you with the concept of timeboxing?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

My answer is mmm not sure. Never played truck simulator but do love space poo poo and would like to see stuff. Is the sense of scale done well? I like the thought of using VR and being dwarfed by giant balls in my face.

Sense of scale is 1:1, so giant balls become giant walls if you fly too close. (If you throw in with Horizons, you can even land and drive around. For eternity, because even small moons are gigantic if you have that kind of scale.)

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

My answer is mmm not sure. Never played truck simulator but do love space poo poo and would like to see stuff. Is the sense of scale done well? I like the thought of using VR and being dwarfed by giant balls in my face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wuSkCJiEdI

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

as someone who's been working with some agile dev i srsly thought at first that the problem with CIG's communication is that they were on two week sprints and Ben had no concept of how they really actually work.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Chris and Sandi are more familiar with hotboxing than timeboxing.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Chops busted fellow adult, chops busted.

I'm v sorry to hear your chops were busted fellow adult

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

G0RF posted:

Can you remind me how to these Diamond Frogs hooligans? I'd to get involved in some of these goony hijinx.

I want to be the Emergent Gameplay I wish to see in this game.

Once I have my new PC built and Elite purchased I well become a hot frog.

What's the Xbox one version like and can they play with PC people? (I dont own an xbone)

Other posters have answered these now, but I'll say again - frog up and become part of something beautiful.

In all seriousness, if E:D had got on the monthly subscription MMO model from the start and had been designed around less instance fuckery it would be the most incredible game ever. I think the peer to peer instance stuff is what really holds it back and makes the universe seem sterile. EVE like player interaction in the E:D interface is my dream BDSSE. :love:

They're getting there, but I'm not sure they'll ever have the server infrastructure to do awesome stuff without that monthly sub.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

TTerrible posted:

Other posters have answered these now, but I'll say again - frog up and become part of something beautiful.

In all seriousness, if E:D had got on the monthly subscription MMO model from the start and had been designed around less instance fuckery it would be the most incredible game ever. I think the peer to peer instance stuff is what really holds it back and makes the universe seem sterile. EVE like player interaction in the E:D interface is my dream BDSSE. :love:

They're getting there, but I'm not sure they'll ever have the server infrastructure to do awesome stuff without that monthly sub.

On the other hand, there are people like me who see other players only as an added bonus and would stop playing the instant Frontier demands a sub, so I hope they never go that way.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Wrecked Angle posted:

I made a handy chart for those of you that are still having trouble understanding software development.

Third bar needs eight or nine hundred vertical "deadline" markers

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Libluini posted:

On the other hand, there are people like me who see other players only as an added bonus and would stop playing the instant Frontier demands a sub, so I hope they never go that way.

Don't get me wrong, it's far too late to re-architect the game like this (unless you're CIG :v:) I'm just daydreaming. I trust that they'll ramp up the depth with the coming seasons and it'll all be good.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

:gary:

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

:perfect:

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
"Your mom is a stretch goal" should have been the new thread title

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

They should put this on the wall in their break room, right above the 22k coffee machine.

Romes128 posted:

"Your mom is a stretch goal" should have been the new thread title

The new thread title is as bad as the game so it's kind of fitting I guess.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
Someone asked if there was a Worlds Adrift thread. I just made one. Unlike Star Citizen they actually like. Have a game. Will it be good? I dunno. Probably not but if it's only around $30 and I can make people mad then it'd be worth it.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765183

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
Another lil' teaser vid. Progress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RU6BeBEwFg

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I am going to install Unity again and see if I can make some dumb things

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

How does it feel to know that you are developing a game MANY times faster than a company thats brought in over $100,000,000.00 and has had like 800 people work on their game?

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

The Stimpire slider should always reset to 4. Because there is no other Stimpire like the 4th Stimpire.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

this looks great and all

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

I really really love the little WWI style crosshairs bolted to the nose of the ship. It's just the kind of anachronistic detail that Croberts would sperg out about in his futuristic space game.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Let's say I have like 5 hours a week for gaming would elite stay fun for months or would I never get IMMERSED enough to enjoy it? 1500 jumps in 6 weeks sounds like multiple hours every day which is for the unemployed/depressed/fat lesnickians

The trading is good if you like low intensity background entertainment like euro truck simulator, but in space
The combat is fun and exciting
There is a metagame but it's very abstracted and it's hard to see how you effect it. There is nothing like players owning stations or territory capture like Eve, it's more like making an NPC faction 1% better by doing a thing
There is exploration if you want to go space mad and fly a million lightyears from civilization and look at funny stars. But I haven't tried it yet

Don't have Horizons so I can't comment on planet poo poo.

Area is out now. I'd buy that for $7.50 and see if you like the combat and can get to grips with the controls (it's quite hard at first).

Berious fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 20, 2016

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yes!

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

:lol:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

I love the greyed out Refunds option.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

G0RF posted:

Chris and Sandi are more familiar with hotboxing

Is that the martial art that Sandi claims to practice

my girlfriend is Legos fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 20, 2016

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Ag Bengip posted:

lol

Also, I'd put money on her "martial art" being an MMA themed zoomba class

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Booblord Zagats posted:

lol

Also, I'd put money on her "martial art" being an MMA themed zoomba class

it's probably just martial arts for actors, which is cool-looking* moves that don't do anything
technically that's all martial arts for most people though, we generally don't have to battle from one side of the day to the other to get by.

*might not look cool

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
They're back onto the topic of private servers on the brown sea (Don't let your dreams die guys!!). Guys like Luke here are great though...

Love the authority in the first statement. A lot of things should happen with regard to SC Luke, but in case you haven't noticed there's been a trend developing.

Then the wild, completely uninformed, shot in the dark that 'a simple i5 with a decent internet connection will support a dozen players and 2-3 concurrent instances'. Based on what Luke?

I mean I'm sure you've taken into account the needs of the other 99 or whatever systems that don't even exist yet. Or the overhead of the 100's of NPCs which are going to be scattered everywhere like confetti. Or the hundreds of simulated market transactions that give you your living, breathing economy.

Why not have an old Athlon be able to run it all? Or really go for it and say you need dual Xeons because this is the BDSSE? But no, an i5 will do it, I think you're right.

Wrecked Angle fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 20, 2016

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Coming together nicely. You'll save PC gaming before Chris farts out the minimum to satisfy legal requirements for sure

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

this is great but the stimpire slider should resist and always shift back to 4

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Ag Bengip posted:

I'd say it's the medicinal art she wears sunglasses to hide and practices apparently rather too often.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

God's work you're doing Toops

I just got done practicing my martial arts by smashing 4k monitors. Also, I have more money than Wesha and I am only here for the smart people's entertainment.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

wearing sunglasses on set like that is incredibly unprofessional, disrespectful and goofy. idgi

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
A citizen dares to mention the diarrhea spewing elephant in the room.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/46rd59/combat_in_the_babypu_feels_horrible/

It doesn't go well for him. Shitizens are quick to scold him and state CIG will fix it. Along with every other aspect of the game they have been making for 3 years already.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Google Butt posted:

wearing sunglasses on set like that is incredibly unprofessional, disrespectful and goofy. idgi

They're great if you're loving mashed and need to hide your massive dilated pupils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

Berious posted:

A citizen dares to mention the diarrhea spewing elephant in the room.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/46rd59/combat_in_the_babypu_feels_horrible/

It doesn't go well for him. Shitizens are quick to scold him and state CIG will fix it. Along with every other aspect of the game they have been making for 3 years already.
If he isn't good at competitive games then maybe he just shouldnt play. :smuggo:

• Locked thread