Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

greatn posted:

When would that have happened?
In the interval between their kiss and their being down on ground level.

multijoe posted:

Venture Bros isn't really about failure that much and Dean certainly isn't gross enough in the same is Rusty is to warrant such a disgusting plot twist. Also the whole point of that episode is no one had any sex, it was the punchline to the whole thing
I honestly can't see what would be so disgusting about that scenario, would you care to enlighten me? I mean, Talia and Dean are the same age, it would have been consensual and Talia had clearly managed to convince Dean to become the leader of the new world.

And just to be sure, I'm talking about the epiode "What color is your cleansuit?", the opener of the 5th season. Talia is the girl Dean met in that episode.

And about the failure thing, I used to think that too, but I started the show when season 4 had just ended, and then it felt like season 5 just plunged right back into it, what with Gary completely screwing the whole Sphinx thing up and the OSI failing at pretty much evertyhing they try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I got my first shirt club package today. It's just the new Venture logo shirt but it's nice. No hankbucks or anything like that in the package.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Shindragon posted:

Well yeah because it ain't Triana. :v:

Nah I get it, that would've been pretty bad. That episode just sucked in general.

it was worth it for the broken arrow line imo

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

she has 4 arms man! 4 arms!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I really wish Lyndon Bee and Lady Hawk Johnson stuck with the Revenge Society :saddowns:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I really wish Lyndon Bee and Lady Hawk Johnson stuck with the Revenge Society :saddowns:

You will not seek, nor I will I accept, your escape.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

RandallODim posted:

While a lesser episode, Dr. Quym still gave us the scene of Brock, Dean and Hank trying to teach an orangutan to box, which is great.

"Brock, this is kinda the saddest thing ever."

"Thanks for a new personal low, Doc."

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

X_Toad posted:

I honestly can't see what would be so disgusting about that scenario, would you care to enlighten me? I mean, Talia and Dean are the same age, it would have been consensual and Talia had clearly managed to convince Dean to become the leader of the new world.

And just to be sure, I'm talking about the epiode "What color is your cleansuit?", the opener of the 5th season. Talia is the girl Dean met in that episode.

And about the failure thing, I used to think that too, but I started the show when season 4 had just ended, and then it felt like season 5 just plunged right back into it, what with Gary completely screwing the whole Sphinx thing up and the OSI failing at pretty much evertyhing they try.

Ah nevermind, I was getting mixed up with the Dr Qym episode.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

:argh: "If you think you can just waltz in here and muscle in on my racket, you've got another thing coming!"

I shouted at the TV, "It's another think coming! Aaugh" exactly in sync with Blue Morpho

:spergin:

Vaishino
Nov 14, 2003

He'd like to come and meet us
But he thinks he'd blow our minds

Shindragon posted:

Nah I get it, that would've been pretty bad. That episode just sucked in general.

Dean storming out of the tent with an exasperated "Gosh!" is easily one of my favourite Dean moments. And Rusty rolling off the top of the jeep when they stopped was pretty great too.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I really liked that episode, actually. It wasn't their best episode, but 99% of their episodes aren't the best one, so it's in good company.

The storming out of the tent "Gosh!" moment was, indeed, gold.

I also liked that Doc watched Hank playing the bass in the tent and recorded himself playing bass acoustically, using the general rhythms and hand positions that synced up with the animation.

Dean's spiraling anxiety as he's about to be dragged kicking and screaming (literally!) into one of the biggest fantasies most straight men have (again, literally) was fun, especially the tissue tumbling out of the girl's bra.

My favorite part is Rusty's healing montage. The love of a good woman can work miracles, and in that sequence, you see him really happy. You get the idea that if things didn't blow up like they always do, that he could have really ended that trip with a girlfriend and a better outlook on life.

Oh, and Brock's confusion in response to the come-ons, rejections, and general mixed messaging from what's-her-face was pretty good.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Faking Miracles
  • The mecha-tarantula in the opener has ten legs.
  • Nice wine research, as Scaramantula is drinking a 1947 Monfortino
  • The Doctor Venture comic bears the imprint of "Key Stone," since obviously they can't use DC
  • There's also a vintage-ish BB Gun ad on the back cover they maybe could've done more with
  • The "Crime Computer" label in the Blue Morpho basement pretty clearly references the old Batman show (and if you're watching VB, you should probably check out @BatLabels
  • When Manolo tries to start the Morpho-mobile, he says "No va", which might be referencing this urban myth
  • There are blue butterflies fluttering through Central Park right after the scene shift, but they don't quite look like morphos and they'd be way out of range anyway
  • Any ideas on the guy in the park with the dirty exclamation-point hero t-shirt and tinfoil hat?
  • Wide Wale's penthouse is right by the 59 Street Columbus Circle subway stop, which pretty much makes it the Trump International Hotel and Tower (globe and all)
  • His term of endearment for Sirena is "tadpole," which is pretty adorable
  • Given there's no Orpheus this season, it's kind of hilarious to give Steven Rattazzi toss-off lines as an over-the-top ethnic pizza maker. Also I knew Toby Huss did Scaramantula but would not have recognized him as Copy Cat without checking
  • The Latin on the Stuyvesant seal is different on the shirt than it is on Dean's acceptance letter; on the shirt it's "Passus Sum Cum Ligneo Cruris" (I suffered [or got through] everything with a wooden leg), a reference to the historical Peter Stuyvesant; in the letter it's "Sic Transit Gloria Nihil Sanctisne" (Glory fades, nothing is sacred), which I'm pretty sure is a Rushmore reference

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

BRRRRRRRRRICK FROG deserves a fair chance, too. :colbert:

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Vaishino posted:

And Rusty rolling off the top of the jeep when they stopped was pretty great too.

This makes me laugh every time I see it. It's just such a great physical comedy moment.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

tarlibone posted:

It wasn't their best episode, but 99% of their episodes aren't the best one, so it's in good company.

It's true, there can only be one Victor Echo November.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Tatsuta Age posted:

It's true, there can only be one Victor Echo November.

That splash when Brock enters the stall with 24 and 21!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Eight words in Victor Echo November define the series, especially the early seasons, perfectly:

"Can't believe it's hard to kill these two."

I've successfully used that scene to get people to watch a few episodes, some of whom became hooked.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Do you dab? I dab.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

TK-42-1 posted:

Do you dab? I dab.

Stop saying "dab"!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

DoctorWhat posted:

Stop saying "dab"!

IT'S LIKE A GUY WITH A FEVER IS YELLING AT MY CROTCH!

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Capn Beeb posted:

BRRRRRRRRRICK FROG deserves a fair chance, too. :colbert:

Worse than useless.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

tarlibone posted:

You get the idea that if things didn't blow up like they always do, that he could have really ended that trip with a girlfriend and a better outlook on life.

Except when he learns the woman's epileptic and suddenly recoils like she's got leprosy. Rusty's an rear end in a top hat, through and through. He wants the same quality of woman his father pulled down, perfection in all things, because he's convinced himself he's worth it. He won't lose his money to some Guild bullshit, he'll lose it when the gold diggers come a-callin'.

Final Fantasy Football
Oct 3, 2006

X_Toad posted:

Nonsense! There is no failure when you are true to yourself!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Except when he learns the woman's epileptic and suddenly recoils like she's got leprosy. Rusty's an rear end in a top hat, through and through. He wants the same quality of woman his father pulled down, perfection in all things, because he's convinced himself he's worth it. He won't lose his money to some Guild bullshit, he'll lose it when the gold diggers come a-callin'.
That was a hilarious ending to that episode. Rusty got exactly what he wanted and could have gone on happily ever after. The viewer knows the writers aren't going to give that to him, so rather than having her reject him for some convoluted reason, as would be 'typical', he rejects her over something small and inane. It's not my favorite episode but that was my favorite part.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The "ew" thing is a dick line but I never saw that as Rusty rejecting her and it's not the thing that killed any chance those two had. Rusty being responsible for burning down the forest that the Doctor was trying to protect is what did it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

axleblaze posted:

The "ew" thing is a dick line but I never saw that as Rusty rejecting her and it's not the thing that killed any chance those two had. Rusty being responsible for burning down the forest that the Doctor was trying to protect is what did it.
Really? I'm pretty sure that was the joke, that he rejected her over something inane. In a later episode he gets punched by Col. Gentleman for "breaking my step-daughter's heart". They even paralleled it by having Dean also get rejected for something inane, being uncircumcised.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 22, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

elentar posted:

[*]Wide Wale's penthouse is right by the 59 Street Columbus Circle subway stop, which pretty much makes it the Trump International Hotel and Tower (globe and all)

This is my favorite bit of Information.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Really? I'm pretty sure that was the joke, that he rejected her over something inane. In a later episode he gets punched by Col. Gentleman for "breaking my step-daughter's heart". They even paralleled it by having Dean also get rejected for something inane, being uncircumcised.

At the end of the episode she's clearly pissed at him and she wasn't even awake for the "ew". I always took the heartbreak line as more of "she trusted you and you destroyed her life's work". Like a good amount of the dialogue from Quim is about how precious this forest is and the Venture's burn it down. She has way more of a reason to be pissed at the end.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
So was I the only one hoping that Billy had switched out the ORB and that's why he had to get it back from St Cloud?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I laugh at regular jokes like this!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Ahahaah that liver drug

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Was I any different when you taught me

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I love Paul F Tompkins

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I'm like 90% sure that is Jill St. John and Stella Stevens.

Spoonsy
Dec 6, 2005

Yeah, life is hilariously cruel.
Grimey Drawer
Glad to hear that

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Like a cobra

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
:lol: Mouses

Banana Republican
Jul 12, 2007

I'm loving that Venture, Sr. and Monarch's Dad are Bob Crane and John Carpenter

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
holy poo poo that basically confirms it, rusty and the monarch are half-brothers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

walgreenslatino posted:

holy poo poo that basically confirms it, rusty and the monarch are half-brothers

Yeah they're calling such heavy attention to the resemblance now, there's no way that's not the plot they're playing around with.