Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Liquid Penguins posted:

ahaha this loving bay area loser fits the smug stereotype like a glove

have fun with your awful city full of pretentious losers who should be glassed and turned into a parking lot
you sound really angery that you can't fire me lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Gazpacho have a heart and open your home to this girl

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
I'm just glad we can use a naive youth to continue defending the system that is re-proletarianizing the vast majority of people in this country. It's great that we can use examples like sisters with PHDs who had to struggle way too hard to make it in life to defend this state of affairs instead of reading it as the indictment of our current system that it is. Had wages kept up with productivity since the 60s perhaps that outsized struggle wouldn't have been necessary, but never mind, let's use these examples to show how it's ok that people are drowning - it's definitely not analogous to insane arguments like "hey this black person became an unqualified success so anyone can do it! Everything's as it should be. Just work harder."

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Gazpacho posted:

not me, i'm a well-paid bay area software dev, and after going through many managers i've learned to respect the ones that take the time to correct me when i do something wrong, and hate the ones who approach it as a disciplinarian spectacle

If I were your boss I'd just give you rope to hang yourself with

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

You know I almost felt a bit of sympathy because I've been in a similar situation but holy poo poo does it get into whiny and borderline creepy territory

Like at one point she literally goes "I know where you live, that's a nice place you've got" and there's definitely a bit of an "it'd be a shame if someone snuck into it at night and murdered your family"

Also lol at anyone who thinks this isn't a fancy way of asking for a handout because obviously she knew she'd get fired for this and there are no less than 3 different ways to give her money listed at the end of the article

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
i think if you are in a tough situation financially you should turn to crime. it worked for me!

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Gazpacho posted:

out of a cannon maybe

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Enderzero posted:

I'm just glad we can use a naive youth to continue defending the system that is re-proletarianizing the vast majority of people in this country. It's great that we can use examples like sisters with PHDs who had to struggle way too hard to make it in life to defend this state of affairs instead of reading it as the indictment of our current system that it is. Had wages kept up with productivity since the 60s perhaps that outsized struggle wouldn't have been necessary, but never mind, let's use these examples to show how it's ok that people are drowning - it's definitely not analogous to insane arguments like "hey this black person became an unqualified success so anyone can do it! Everything's as it should be. Just work harder."

Go on. Make her the poster girl for your struggles.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Enderzero posted:

a 25-year-old experiencing a setback after making a series of stupid mistakes is exactly the kind of spark we need to ignite the fires of revolution

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
I donated a penny to the lady in the op since it is more than her current paycheck

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Liquid Penguins posted:

nah I work in a corporate office at a very profitable company because I have good work ethics and don't aspire to write memes on twitter and be paid $20 an hour like the lady in the op

If minimum wage had kept up with American productivity gains It would be over $21/hr right now so it's not an unreasonable concept. It's just that 90%+ of all new income gains go to the top 1%. But please continue punching at lazy Millenial stereotypes while your bosses skim from the top. It affects your income too, but I suspect you're too busy being smug about work ethics and such.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also I'm all for the plight of the proletariat or whatever but if you're in a city with a functional transportation system you can probably get rid of that car ok, and most public transportation systems have monthly/weekly options that save you money, also many of them have some sort of work-commuter thing that gets you discounts as well

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Gazpacho posted:

hes not used to getting lip from the plebs so of course it sends him into a sputtering rage when he can't do anything about it

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
nah I just watch how the 1% work while slowly compiling a list of contacts for when I save enough to start my own business and profit off lazy idiots in 10 years or so

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Eh, the entry level pay isn't outrageously bad, and the medical benefits seemed pretty good for america. The main problem is that lots and lots of people want to live in that city, so the price of an 'entry level' apartment is higher than 'entry level' jobs pay. If she had a roommate or a live in boyfriend or something she might have been okay on that wage. But she was new in town and didn't know anyone, and didn't want to live with strangers. I wouldn't want to live with strangers either.

The systemic problems are one thing, but she did make some mistakes here. She knew her pay when she took that apartment, and knew the math didn't work out. I assume she figured she could skate by racking up a couple hundred a month on her credit card until she was promoted out of the entry level position to a better job. She seemed surprised by the 1 year minimum. In August she thought she could tighten her belt and pull through, but after 6 months it had gotten to her to the point that she wrote a dumb thing and got fired.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Liquid Penguins posted:

nah I just watch how the 1% work while slowly compiling a list of contacts for when I save enough to start my own business and profit off lazy idiots in 10 years or so

ah i see ur a millionaire in waiting that explains a lot

good luck!

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Parallax Scroll posted:

lol if she wants to pursue her dream of making memes and tweets that's fine but she may want to get a roommate first

What 25 year old doesn't live in some crowded hell hole? I used to share a one bedroom place in London, with one of us staying in the living room. Between working a poo poo day job, interning, and going out all the time, it's not like you're ever home. I certainly didn't have time to bake cupcakes.

Just checked out her Instagram. She's made some pretty tasty looking steaks too.

SEX BURRITO fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 20, 2016

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
wanting more and not expecting someone to hand it to me

clearly my greatest character flaw

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Entire families and neighborhoods (especially minorities) have been being displaced by the influx of wealthy visitors to the city and have held numerous protests and sit-ins to try and make their voices heard. More than half the houses on the block might be standing empty for years because of overseas investors, while natives have been pushed further and further to the brink as prices became more and more unlivable.

But this white chick with higher-end tastes might have to make her gourmet cupcakes with a ROOMMATE and I just now have realized how terrible the situation is.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
You know that when people start talking about the proletariat that a thread is gettin gud.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
glass san francisco

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Liquid Penguins posted:

wanting more and not expecting someone to hand it to me

clearly my greatest character flaw

No its being a moron

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

i think the 25 year old proletariat cupcake baker has much in common with Russian serfs and that Egyptian cart dude who set himself on fire

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Nation posted:

No its being a moron

get a job

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Liquid Penguins posted:

Hahah oh look it's a Temporarily Embarassed Millionaire in the wild! You will almost certainly never be part of the 1% because you didn't go to the right schools or make the right connections. And if you do, through an insane, unwarranted amount of hard work, your story will be used to explain how everything is fine the way it is now, because look at this guy's story. That fallacy is called survivor's bias and it's used to hide the systemic problems within a system.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Enderzero posted:

I'm just glad we can use a naive youth to continue defending the system that is re-proletarianizing the vast majority of people in this country.

as if the girl that aspired to be a professional twitter meme writer for a company that uses "independent contractors" to deliver take out food, cooked by yet more minimum wage workers, isn't a fully complicit actor in that system.

she just mad that she ended up being the nail rather than the hammer.

Enderzero posted:

but never mind, let's use these examples to show how it's ok that people are drowning
advocate for life vests to people who are drowning because they've been treading water for hours and can't get out of the pool

laugh at idiots who threw themselves straight from the side into the deep end despite not knowing how to swim because they thought they could walk on water

why not both?

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Enderzero posted:

Hahah oh look it's a Temporarily Embarassed Millionaire in the wild! You will almost certainly never be part of the 1% because you didn't go to the right schools or make the right connections. And if you do, through an insane, unwarranted amount of hard work, your story will be used to explain how everything is fine the way it is now, because look at this guy's story. That fallacy is called survivor's bias and it's used to hide the systemic problems within a system.

ya you're right I should go into my boss's office tomorrow and let him know how I feel about the working middle and lower class

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Enderzero posted:

If minimum wage had kept up with American productivity gains It would be over $21/hr right now so it's not an unreasonable concept. It's just that 90%+ of all new income gains go to the top 1%. But please continue punching at lazy Millenial stereotypes while your bosses skim from the top. It affects your income too, but I suspect you're too busy being smug about work ethics and such.

just because the upper class is loving the lower class in every way possible doesn't mean the person who wrote that article in the OP doesn't come across as a whiny dummy who can't deal with the fact that success didn't come instantly and doesn't know how to manage money

It took me like 5 years out of college to find a Big Boy Job but the fact that I didn't automatically feel like I was entitled to things like my own place and a car in a city where I didn't need one made it a little easier to not have to live on rice and ramen

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

drunk asian neighbor posted:

just because the upper class is loving the lower class in every way possible doesn't mean the person who wrote that article in the OP doesn't come across as a whiny dummy who can't deal with the fact that success didn't come instantly and doesn't know how to manage money

It took me like 5 years out of college to find a Big Boy Job but the fact that I didn't automatically feel like I was entitled to things like my own place and a car in a city where I didn't need one made it a little easier to not have to live on rice and ramen

this is correct and please don't listen to the children in this thread mad that they don't have everything handed to them

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I look forward to the day when even more business admin and engineering jobs get automated/shifted overseas and those now-smug idiots cry about their worthless degrees

Wait no i don't because I'm not a crabs-in-the-bucket dipshit

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Liquid Penguins posted:

ya you're right I should go into my boss's office tomorrow and let him know how I feel about the working middle and lower class

No instead you should keep making GBS threads on someone who has no effect on your life whatsoever. Much better use of time. What are you doing here anyways? Shouldn't you be building value or something?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

are people so obsessed with the idea that Americans are universally destitute and under heel that they will tell themselves that nobody is living a comfortable life with career advancement without having "Harvard connections"?

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Enderzero posted:

No instead you should keep making GBS threads on someone who has no effect on your life whatsoever. Much better use of time. What are you doing here anyways? Shouldn't you be building value or something?

it's saturday I'm eating pizza, watching mega64, and laughing at people who failed due to their own incompetence

yes laughing at idiots on the net, you know, the reason this website was founded.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

walgreenslatino posted:

I look forward to the day when even more business admin and engineering jobs get automated/shifted overseas and those now-smug idiots cry about their worthless degrees

Wait no i don't because I'm not a crabs-in-the-bucket dipshit

This brings me to my next point which is how have people not figured out that English degrees are loving worthless as far as being moneymakers

Like yeah if you want to major in 15th-century French Lit or Philosophy or whatever good on you but lol if you think you're gonna make money off that poo poo

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Yeah she deserves a lot of ribbing. But using this anecdote to prop up the way things work right now is not a good look, and people projecting this person's story onto the general entitled Millenial narrative is counter-productive unless you are a 1%er.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Also I'm all for the plight of the proletariat or whatever but if you're in a city with a functional transportation system you can probably get rid of that car ok, and most public transportation systems have monthly/weekly options that save you money, also many of them have some sort of work-commuter thing that gets you discounts as well

A quick google search for BART costs:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Enderzero posted:

Yeah she deserves a lot of ribbing. But using this anecdote to prop up the way things work right now is not a good look, and people projecting this person's story onto the general entitled Millenial narrative is counter-productive unless you are a 1%er.

Except this person is literally the general entitled Millenial narrative

-a former Poor

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
So what are we gonna have first the class war or the race war?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Enderzero posted:

Stop trolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
a degree doesn't mean poo poo if you don't bring value to others

see: every liberal arts major ever

• Locked thread