Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

GreatGreen posted:

So what's the best loan to get and truck to buy first?

Get the max loan and buy the truck whose interior you like best. Far as I can tell, the trucks are pretty much the same as far as stuff like transmission and engines go. There's different customization options that are just for looks and lights but other than that it's just how much you like the setup of the interior.

Max loan to buy your truck, a garage and the max trucks + drivers that's reasonably possible for you to get. Don't run yourself super low on money buying trucks and garages but you'll get things started and start making a ton of money really quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

KW W900. :getin:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Seriously, who am I kidding. This is obviously the most kick-loving-rear end choice.

I guess the crazy min/maxer in me is really asking this: How much worse is a maxed out W900 than the "best" maxed out truck in the game? Or is it just the on-paper best in the first place?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I put in for a thread title change. Expect a double entendre.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

GreatGreen posted:

I guess the crazy min/maxer in me is really asking this: How much worse is a maxed out W900 than the "best" maxed out truck in the game? Or is it just the on-paper best in the first place?

It has decently superior engine options. The turning radius and rear visibility are the only compromises. I prefer it over the other trucks full stop, though I may switch back to one of the others just to try the full standing sleeper in the other models for a bit.

The engine and transmission unlocks are the only real things to "max." Each engine is strictly better as you unlock it. The transmissions are slightly preference. I use the 18-speed but really only use it like a 13-speed. The retarder is nice for cruise control coming down hills, but supposedly some people have the engine brake working with cruise control. It never worked for me.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

ManicJason posted:

It has decently superior engine options. The turning radius and rear visibility are the only compromises. I prefer it over the other trucks full stop, though I may switch back to one of the others just to try the full standing sleeper in the other models for a bit.

Eh, the 625hp engine has the same torque as the 600hp that the W900 shares with the 579 and T680

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The true reckoning will be when the Peterbilt 389 gets put in the game.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Kilonum posted:

Eh, the 625hp engine has the same torque as the 600hp that the W900 shares with the 579 and T680

My point is that it's slightly superior in terms of power if anything. The W900 has all the same options as the other trucks plus a couple more.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Well, I went back to ETS2 after playing a couple jobs and then not touching it for a few months. Got my loan, my own truck, a garage and 2 trucks with drivers, so I think I'm off to a good start.

Couple questions: I'm guessing when I take a job that requires travelling by ferry or tunnel that it takes that time in consideration. If I get a long job, does it take the rest time into consideration? Should I just get some rest whenever I get near the "next rest" time?

When working on my own, am I better off chaining jobs (go from A to B, grab a job at B and go to C, grab a job at C, etc.?), or is it better to sort by price and always go for the biggest paying? (Or just do whatever the hell I want?).

And finally, any list of recommended mods? I'm happy with the gameplay so far (so not going to touch realistic fuel or stuff like that for a while), but maybe QoL mods or graphical enhancements,

Thanks!

/edit: Forgot a question. Any way of knowing how long it's going to take you to reach a certain point in the GPS route? I can lay down checkpoints, but only shows the total time and not the "time to next checkpoint" (so I can eyeball where to rest).

texasmed
May 27, 2004
I just like to take whatever jobs look cool with an eye toward those higher paying. I just rest whenever it's necessary and it usually doesn't affect the job, unless you have to rest right after taking the job and then again right before doing the delivery.

I don't use many mods, but the list is still pretty big. Basically it's all traffic mods by Jazzycat, smaller hud mirrors, and a few real logos mods I found in an essentials pack (I didn't use the gameplay changes in the mod, luckily it's multiple files)

The best place to look for mods in my opinion is their official forums which often has reliable download links and fewer adfly stuff.

I think the GPS will only ever tell you the total trip time, unfortunately.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Edmond Dantes posted:

Couple questions: I'm guessing when I take a job that requires travelling by ferry or tunnel that it takes that time in consideration. If I get a long job, does it take the rest time into consideration? Should I just get some rest whenever I get near the "next rest" time?
It does take rest time and ferry/chunnel time into account, and assumes a speed of 62km/h between rest stops for measuring out how much vs. distance (11 hours on/8 off is what it simulates by default in ETS2) and it will also take into account how long until your next rest is required (ie if you have 5 hours until your next required rest when you take the job and the job is 620km, it will add the 8 hour rest into the deadline). as far as when, generally, 1st rest stop you see once you are under 2 hours to next required break. As a bonus, ferry and chunnel time counts as a rest break!

Edmond Dantes posted:

When working on my own, am I better off chaining jobs (go from A to B, grab a job at B and go to C, grab a job at C, etc.?), or is it better to sort by price and always go for the biggest paying? (Or just do whatever the hell I want?).
Best Min/Max is to sort by price per distance and chain from the city you are currently in.

Edmond Dantes posted:

/edit: Forgot a question. Any way of knowing how long it's going to take you to reach a certain point in the GPS route? I can lay down checkpoints, but only shows the total time and not the "time to next checkpoint" (so I can eyeball where to rest).

Sadly, no.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I ended up picking up ETS2 and some of it's DLC because I wanted a bigger place to play trucks in. What's up with how slow traffic is outside of Freedom Land? 80kph is a smidge less than 50mph. Are trucks in Europe really that slow?

Also is there any trick to not having dumbasses run into my big truck butt when I change lanes?

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 21, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Trucks in Europe have speed governors/limiters that prevents them from going above 90kph.

You can disable it in the options.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Bedurndurn posted:

Also is there any trick to not having dumbasses run into my big truck butt when I change lanes?

Funny you should say that, because this image popped up in my facebook feed today

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Do drivers you hire make more money per day than the payments you have to make on the loan for the truck you have to buy for them?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Kilonum posted:

Funny you should say that, because this image popped up in my facebook feed today

I'm actually signaling, but it's like the AI doesn't 'see' the trailer until it's more than halfway into the lane. Maybe I need to try changing lanes more aggressively so the trailer gets to the new one faster?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I love how the AI likes to brake check and randomly brake for no reason. Keeps you on your toes at least

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

GreatGreen posted:

Do drivers you hire make more money per day than the payments you have to make on the loan for the truck you have to buy for them?

Depends on their level.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

duz posted:

Depends on their level.

More explicitly, they'll cost you a little at first, but they'll pretty quickly start paying for your tickets, especially once you get the four (besides you) that a large garage can hold.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

The rule of thumb is take all loans greater than 50k always to but a truck or garage whenever you can, and occasionally tale 50k as well. I usually leave the 10 alone unless I can pay it off quick because its interest rate kinda sucks. Always get more drivers and trucks. Try to keep a safety margin of 20k in your account to cover fines and stuff, although honestly that doesn't really matter since there's no real consequence to going in the red. You really don't get any tangible benefit from min/maxing this game outside of always get more drivers and maybe sort by price per distance. It's not a complex economy. The truck differences in ats are largely cosmetic. Get what looks cool or whatever brand you have a pointless loyalty towards.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I tend only hire one person if that in ETS2, I still find the most fun is at the start when you still have a slow rear end truck and loans to cover. I realy need to learn how to tweek the economy in the game because there seems to be no inbetween to incredibly poor slog and leaneing back like im rich when it comes to economy mods.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

track day bro! posted:

I tend only hire one person if that in ETS2, I still find the most fun is at the start when you still have a slow rear end truck and loans to cover. I realy need to learn how to tweek the economy in the game because there seems to be no inbetween to incredibly poor slog and leaneing back like im rich when it comes to economy mods.

Really the only reason to hire people anyways is to be able to easier afford different trucks to drive around and a bazillion lights and poo poo to put on them. You don't have to put in a nicer engine or transmission and crap. It's such a basic economy that honestly I think it only really exists as a corollary to the level restrictions on parts, to vaguely extend the game by artificial means. I'd love to see a more complex economy that actually mattered as anything outside of a delaying tactic.

King Faraday
May 22, 2009

I switched over to the W900 and it is so god drat lovely.
However, does it not have a place on the dash to show you what gear you're in? Not hugely necessary, it's just something I keep looking for and not finding.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

The one thing I don't like about ATS is the lack of lights that I can put on my truck to make it look dumb as hell and be a driving sun.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
for the buy online option, is it buy 3 trucks in total or 3 trucks from peterbilt or kw to use their online store?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

In total

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

shortspecialbus posted:

Really the only reason to hire people anyways is to be able to easier afford different trucks to drive around and a bazillion lights and poo poo to put on them. You don't have to put in a nicer engine or transmission and crap. It's such a basic economy that honestly I think it only really exists as a corollary to the level restrictions on parts, to vaguely extend the game by artificial means. I'd love to see a more complex economy that actually mattered as anything outside of a delaying tactic.

In ETS2, at least, you have to hire people for some of the achievements, so obviously it's a must. :v:

It looks like they got rid of some of the really obnoxious ones for ATS, though.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cowman posted:

The one thing I don't like about ATS is the lack of lights that I can put on my truck to make it look dumb as hell and be a driving sun.
There don't appear to be any airhorns you can throw up either. :(

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

My biggest complaint with ATS is I don't have enough hours in the day to play ATS, Rocket League, and XCom2 as much as I'd like. I had 2 weeks of vacation that I had to use quick so I took them soon and I was gonna just relax and play a lot of video games but then it sort of turned into my wife and I are going to gently caress off somewhere south and kayak around in rivers and lakes and stuff, which is p sweet, but doesn't solve my too many video games problem.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Cowman posted:

Poil posted:

There don't appear to be any airhorns you can throw up either. :(

I think they are in that one ETS2 tuning mod by that Polish modding group that has been, or being added to ATS

I too miss being a mobile sun or being a mobile disco platform while hauling construction, heavy, or high value trailers.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

shortspecialbus posted:

My biggest complaint with ATS is I don't have enough hours in the day to play ATS, Rocket League, and XCom2 as much as I'd like. I had 2 weeks of vacation that I had to use quick so I took them soon and I was gonna just relax and play a lot of video games but then it sort of turned into my wife and I are going to gently caress off somewhere south and kayak around in rivers and lakes and stuff, which is p sweet, but doesn't solve my too many video games problem.

Buy one of those kayaks with a sim rig pre-installed. :v:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Are there any mods that place an RPM dial on the screen as a HUD element so you can tell when to shift while using the roof cam?

I know it's not as realizing but man you can see so much more of the world from up there.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

So I've come back to ETS2 after a loooong tims as I now have a steering wheel.
Game is more awesome than before and 80'sHotMixRadio still has the same dozen songs on a loop. Gave me a big stupid grin.
Was intending on playing iRacing this weekend gone, result was 0 races entered, 9 hours of Trucking.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
The W900. Sexual Tyrannosaurus of the road.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 23, 2016

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Has anyone heard if SCS is going to release an older model Pete, kind of like the 379/389?

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Syrian Lannister posted:

Has anyone heard if SCS is going to release an older model Pete, kind of like the 379/389?

The 389 is done and just waiting for PACCAR to give the go ahead for them to enable it in game. There's been no official word, but I expect it within the next two weeks.

[source]

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I highly recommend watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look of ATS because it's absolutely hilarious.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I spent last week in Park City and now I hope SCS adds Utah someday. Dragging twenty tons of propane tank up those winding mountain roads would be a nightmare but the views are great.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
If they're adding states attached to the current territory Utah should be fairly high on the list. I'm speculating but they might do Oregon/Washington first to cover the coast after they put Arizona out. Have they announced a time frame on that, by the way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Actually I think the official is Arizona > New Mexico &Texas > Washington and Oregon.