Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Das Boo posted:

A quick google search for BART costs:

Not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me here because that doesn't tell me how much a single ride costs so I can't tell if that's a discounted monthly rate or not

I'm gonna assume you're agreeing with me though because the author of that article says she spends $223 a month on transit and that image you posted says $80 sooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

https://twitter.com/itsa_talia/status/697942247312994305

I wonder if this is her own $1200 a month kitchen? Looks pretty nice. Was that really the cheapest place she could find?
https://twitter.com/itsa_talia/status/696520138539925504

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Enderzero posted:

Yeah she deserves a lot of ribbing. But using this anecdote to prop up the way things work right now is not a good look, and people projecting this person's story onto the general entitled Millenial narrative is counter-productive unless you are a 1%er.

We're not. We're just making fun of a dummy. But then the lf prot squad rolls in and starts navel gazing about the injustices of it all.

Next well make a these about someone licking a hydro transformer and dying and you'll roll in and go on a scree about coal fired plants or some crap we already know about but don't care about in this particular instance

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Liquid Penguins posted:

a degree doesn't mean poo poo if you don't bring value to others

see: every liberal arts major ever

by value you mean monetary i assume?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

How do you bake with rice and nothing else

Like if you want to slip in 1 line about how you have to cheap out on food in your crybaby open letter ok, but yeah, if you spend 2-3 paragraphs crying about how you eat rice for every meal every day and that image exists, I'd fire you too

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Nation posted:

we live in a capitalist society

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Nation posted:

what other kind is there :smuggo:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Nation posted:

I sure don't mean the guy at the party that gets drunk and tries to talk to me about Schopenhauer for 20 minutes

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I sure don't mean the guy at the party that gets drunk and tries to talk to me about Schopenhauer for 20 minutes

he should be paid at least $20 an hour for this service

I'm going to send the bill directly to the walmart corporate headquarters

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I'd send him a donation but I don't want a 1700 word essay out there on how he couldn't pay for his trendy hipster beard trims from locally sourced free range barbers from the meager amount given.

gently caress everyone and gently caress this gay earth.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
I'm a valuable member to society. I smile and wave at my neighbors and even pick up after my dog. I bring value (NON-MONETARY YOU CAPITALISTS PIGS) and should be compensated for this at a rate of no less than my electric bill.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I do the same job as her.
And earn 14,000 more euros ($15.5k) per year than her.
For the same job.
loving lol.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

happyhippy posted:

I do the same job as her.
And earn 14,000 more euros ($15.5k) per year than her.
For the same job.
loving lol.

are you good at it???????

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
the one thing I will say in full sympathy with this girl is that companies should not be allowed to make promises about promotion when hiring workers, because that is a trap that young people entering the workforce are really susceptible to. same with lovely inflated promises for commission-based sales.

This brings me to my next point which is how have people not figured out that English degrees are loving worthless as far as being moneymakers

Like yeah if you want to major in 15th-century French Lit or Philosophy or whatever good on you but lol if you think you're gonna make money off that poo poo

every degree is worthless as a moneymaker if you're a person with poor work ethic, or overinflated expectations, or personal problems, or just bad luck. STEM isn't some sort of magic job talisman

this chick's english degree wasn't the thing that held her back

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Enderzero posted:

If minimum wage had kept up with American productivity gains It would be over $21/hr right now so it's not an unreasonable concept.

But how are we going to pay the computers and automated equipment that enabled those productivity gains a salary? Oh, you're saying the uneducated retard that sweeps up the place should have gotten that money. Okay, makes sense.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
i like making decent money but right out of college i didnt

huh

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
hal 9000 is more human than these four figgy fucktards to me

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

vandalism posted:

I'd send him a donation but I don't want a 1700 word essay out there on how he couldn't pay for his trendy hipster beard trims from locally sourced free range barbers from the meager amount given.

gently caress everyone and gently caress this gay earth.

This is also a thing, the people making no money are invariably the people who spend $5 on a bar artisanal soap or whatever instead of just buying a 10-pack of Dove at the dollar store

Like I literally saw a guy get frustrated because he couldn't use his EBT (food stamps) card to pay for beard oil at Whole Foods. lol congrats on figuring out a way to cut out shaving and still spend money on your facial hair, don't try to pin that on me tho

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me here because that doesn't tell me how much a single ride costs so I can't tell if that's a discounted monthly rate or not

I'm gonna assume you're agreeing with me though because the author of that article says she spends $223 a month on transit and that image you posted says $80 sooooo

Sorry, yes, I was agreeing with you. I live in a city and hardly anyone I know (myself included) owns a car. Everybody uses public transit and the transit passes are very affordable and convenient. It would be a different matter if you were in a city without a reliable, expansive, supportive transit system, but you know. San Francisco seems pretty good on that.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Angela Christine posted:

https://twitter.com/itsa_talia/status/697942247312994305

I wonder if this is her own $1200 a month kitchen? Looks pretty nice. Was that really the cheapest place she could find?
https://twitter.com/itsa_talia/status/696520138539925504

Literally starving on rice alone. Has at least 3 full size chef knives, one appears to be ceramic.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Klyith posted:

the one thing I will say in full sympathy with this girl is that companies should not be allowed to make promises about promotion when hiring workers, because that is a trap that young people entering the workforce are really susceptible to. same with lovely inflated promises for commission-based sales.

every degree is worthless as a moneymaker if you're a person with poor work ethic, or overinflated expectations, or personal problems, or just bad luck. STEM isn't some sort of magic job talisman

Yeah but someone with a Chemical Engineering degree and a good work ethic will have a lot more lucrative job options open up to them than someone with an English Lit degree and a good work ethic

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Liquid Penguins posted:

are you good at it???????

Nah, I just suck a LOT of cock not to get fired.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Cartouche posted:

Literally starving on rice alone. Has at least 3 full size chef knives, one appears to be ceramic.

jesus christ clean that loving shithole kitchen

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Das Boo posted:

Sorry, yes, I was agreeing with you. I live in a city and hardly anyone I know (myself included) owns a car. Everybody uses public transit and the transit passes are very affordable and convenient. It would be a different matter if you were in a city without a reliable, expansive, supportive transit system, but you know. San Francisco seems pretty good on that.

ok good, I lived in Boston for 7 years and yeah if someone tells you they need a car in that city they're most likely full of poo poo

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Liquid Penguins posted:

hal 9000 is more human than these four figgy fucktards to me

this is like rubbing a rub nerve for you or somehting
did someone from san fran give you the "bad touch"?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

But this white chick with higher-end tastes might have to make her gourmet cupcakes with a ROOMMATE and I just now have realized how terrible the situation is.

I'm literally shaking with rage and crying uncontrollably because of it.

What kind of poo poo hole country is this? Where a woman with a largely useless degree cannot get a job in the most expensive city in the country and live by herself and be financially comfortable and get promoted to her dream job within 6 months? Is that really the country we live in now?

It's... It's... It's almost like people are saying that you can't do whatever the hell you want for a job, and live wherever the hell you want no matter how expensive, and be financially comfortable even though you have zero job skills or experience? I'm so sad that that's how it works, and that now is the first I'm hearing of it.

And I was just getting ready to move to Honolulu where I'd live comfortably alone in my nice one bedroom apartment, my finances stable and secured by working 35 hours a week at McDonald's.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

tuyop posted:

Lol this person has the audacity to try to make a meaningful life doing something that she doesn't hate just lol

Like hahaha if you don't have the aptitude or inclination to do work in the increasingly limited number of fields that aren't going to be outsourced or automated in the 5-10 years you should just kill yourself and this is good and cool because I'm getting more scraps as an IT grunt than people who dared to actually think about anything that isn't math or science and lol just lol.

same but unironically and without a nasally screechy voice

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Klyith posted:

nobody promised her anything. making employees wait 1 year before requesting a transfer to a different department or location is pretty standard. the company is still hiring directly into different departments, they're not funneling EVERYONE into customer service first.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
Plenty of job openings at my dick sucking factory for anyone who's interested. Pay isn't good, but it's honest work.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Moltke posted:

Plenty of job openings at my dick sucking factory for anyone who's interested. Pay isn't good, but it's honest work.

job requirement: must be able to lift 50 pound gut off of flaccid dilz

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Pitdragon posted:

this is like rubbing a rub nerve for you or somehting
did someone from san fran give you the "bad touch"?

yeah my ex boyfriend was from the bay area and gave the worst handjobs I've ever received

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Liquid Penguins posted:

yeah my ex boyfriend was from the bay area and gave the worst handjobs I've ever received

that does sound like a heck of a "bad touch"

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Liquid Penguins posted:

we live in a capitalist society

*creates trillions out of thin air to keep rich peoples' businesses from folding*

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

are people so obsessed with the idea that Americans are universally destitute and under heel that they will tell themselves that nobody is living a comfortable life with career advancement without having "Harvard connections"?

we're dealing with goons so yes

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

*creates trillions out of thin air to keep rich peoples' businesses from folding*

it's called chinese bankers

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

tuyop posted:

dude how much money have you created out of thin air with your credit card

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

tuyop posted:

are you trying to suggest that rich people should suffer the consequences of their action like a disgusting poor? we must all shoulder this burden for them! ps. gently caress the poor, hope they die in teh street

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Pitdragon posted:

are you trying to suggest that rich people should suffer the consequences of their action like a disgusting poor? we must all shoulder this burden for them! ps. gently caress the poor, hope they die in teh street

not in the street but preferably somewhere I don't have to see them

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

FrankieGoes posted:

I'm literally shaking with rage and crying uncontrollably because of it.

What kind of poo poo hole country is this? Where a woman with a largely useless degree cannot get a job in the most expensive city in the country and live by herself and be financially comfortable and get promoted to her dream job within 6 months? Is that really the country we live in now?

It's... It's... It's almost like people are saying that you can't do whatever the hell you want for a job, and live wherever the hell you want no matter how expensive, and be financially comfortable even though you have zero job skills or experience? I'm so sad that that's how it works, and that now is the first I'm hearing of it.

And I was just getting ready to move to Honolulu where I'd live comfortably alone in my nice one bedroom apartment, my finances stable and secured by working 35 hours a week at McDonald's.

Her other tweets don't make her sound like the most likely person to get a promotion ever:

https://twitter.com/itsa_talia/status/699809617128194049

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Liquid Penguins posted:

not in the street but preferably somewhere I don't have to see them

perhaps we can arrange fo them to be shipped off to some sort of camps

• Locked thread