Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Semper Fudge posted:

The way Johns is speaking to his role in Rebirth, he sounds almost like he's pretty much taken on the role executive editor. I wonder if they're ever going to make it official? I feel like Johns as Executive Editor can only be a good thing. He has a proven eye for talent, is affable and lacks ego, and has been cited a hundred times over as being a great guy and easy to work with. I wouldn't mind.
Honestly Johns at this point is being primed to replace Bob Harras as EIC whenever that rear end in a top hat retires and I am more than ready for that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Travis343 posted:

Tynion could go either way. The Eternal series have been alright-to-good but I really have no idea how much of that is Snyder and how much is Tynion. I guess I like him on general principle because Dark_T-man hates him so much.

I don't know how much of it is Ming Doyle but Constantine the Hellblazer has been excellent and Tynion is on that so maybe he's decent outside of the Batfamily.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

The last time they did one it was pretty cool. And speaking of multiple Blue Beetles, they could copy the ending :)

What is this referring to?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

What is this referring to?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countdown_to_Infinite_Crisis

\/

Yvonmukluk posted:

The real question is going to be, is what happens to Stephanie Brown & Cassandra Cain? These are important questions.

I'll bet on Steph for BOP at least.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Feb 20, 2016

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The real question is going to be, is what happens to Stephanie Brown & Cassandra Cain? These are important questions.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Group shot, swipe left.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I got into metalcore last year and Ashes on Sunday sounds remarkably like it could be real band.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Stephanie Brown is so generic and uninteresting imo. I've always been sore she stole the Batgirl moniker from Cassandra, she's just Blonde Barbara.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

Stephanie Brown is so generic and uninteresting imo. I've always been sore she stole the Batgirl moniker from Cassandra, she's just Blonde Barbara.

Ignorance in action. Stephanie was Stephanie first, they changed Barbara into Ginger Stephanie.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

WickedHate posted:

As I recall DC didn't want it to be Steph, just Not Cass. They were originally going make make Misfit (the Batgirl wannabe who was absolutely terrible in Birds of Prey) the new Batgirl until Gail Simone wrote them a letter outlining why that was a terrible idea. They literally wanted to have a Batgirl who was essentially a carbon-copy of Babs in appearance before going 'gently caress it' and literally making Babs Batgirl with the reboot.

Also, Steph & Cass were good buddies, it makes sense Cass would hand over the title to her over anyone else.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Travis343 posted:

Ignorance in action. Stephanie was Stephanie first, they changed Barbara into Ginger Stephanie.

I've barely read any N52 Batgirl stuff.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also, Steph & Cass were good buddies, it makes sense Cass would hand over the title to her over anyone else.

She shouldn't have to hand the title over to anyone.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I get the reasoning, but on some level it's weird that when you have a boy Robin, fans talk about what his REAL ADULT MAN individual hero identity could be, but when we have a Gotham girl hero, everyone wants her to drop her personal hero thing and become Batgirl or Robin.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
DC did wrong by Cassandra Cain. So very wrong. Their terrible treatment of Cass and other characters like her is the sort of legendary trainwreck that could scarcely be believed without having been there to witness it firsthand, as we all did.

But being unthinkingly, stubbornly attached to the idea of Cassandra Cain as Batgirl is not really that different from an unthinking stubborn attachment to Barbara Gordon as Batgirl. The title can be passed on. Characters can change and adopt other titles. It's not always a bad thing. Treating it as a bad thing, being idiotically fixated on certain iconic things having to be certain iconic ways, is part of why the DC legacy narrative practically got wiped from existence and is such a giant incomprehensible mess right now.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

BrianWilly posted:

DC did wrong by Cassandra Cain. So very wrong. Their terrible treatment of Cass and other characters like her is the sort of legendary trainwreck that could scarcely be believed without having been there to witness it firsthand, as we all did.

But being unthinkingly, stubbornly attached to the idea of Cassandra Cain as Batgirl is not really that different from an unthinking stubborn attachment to Barbara Gordon as Batgirl. The title can be passed on. Characters can change and adopt other titles. It's not always a bad thing. Treating it as a bad thing, being idiotically fixated on certain iconic things having to be certain iconic ways, is part of why the DC legacy narrative practically got wiped from existence and is such a giant incomprehensible mess right now.

:agreed:

I've got no problem with how things ultimately shook out right before Flashpoint in the Batfamily, except maybe the 'death' of Oracle. It absolutely sucked how we got to that point, but it seemed like that would been a great status quo - Cass back in Gotham & maybe dating Tim (that seemed to be where Snyder was going in Gates of Gotham), Steph as Batgirl, & Tim as Red Robin. It seemed like that would be a nice set of interconnected Batbooks. Of course, then Barry Allen ruined everything. BARRY! :argh:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BrianWilly posted:

It's like Batman going through five Robins in five years except with even less justification. There was no good reason for things to turn out that way.If Steph was Batgirl Beyond/One Million/2099 I wouldn't care.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I don't give a poo poo what they call themselves. I just want to see Steph and Cass be friends. There can be three Batgirls or no Batgirls or whatever combination of Batgirls. I like all of the characters and I want to see them in good stories.

Saying Stephanie is just Blonde Barbara is incredibly dumb though.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Has DC ever given a reason for their dislike of Cass Cain?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Nobody dislikes her. They just thought they could do better with a different Batgirl, and that Cassandra could carry on as her own character. Good intentions can look like malice when incompetence is involved.

Cass Cain would have been cool in Grayson as a SPYRAL agent or something. How's she doing in B&R Eternal?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Die Laughing posted:

Nobody dislikes her. They just thought they could do better with a different Batgirl, and that Cassandra could carry on as her own character. Good intentions can look like malice when incompetence is involved.

Cass Cain would have been cool in Grayson as a SPYRAL agent or something. How's she doing in B&R Eternal?

She's easily been the best part of it. They've kept the core beats of who she is and her origin and woven her into the New 52 bat-mythos very well IMO.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Also while she doesn't really talk to/interact with Stephanie at all, they gave her a well written relationship with Harper which works well. I really hope Rebirth doesn't unintroduce Cass somehow or leave her out of any books.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
It's the most logical thing in the world for her to be a member of the new Birds of Prey, so it probably won't happen.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Darth Nat posted:

It's the most logical thing in the world for her to be a member of the new Birds of Prey, so it probably won't happen.

Red Hood and the Outlaws are always recruiting :twisted:

(Please put her in BoP DC :ohdear:)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Travis343 posted:

:agreed:. It'd be more accurate to say that New 52 Barbara was just Ginger Stephanie Brown.

Barbara was a vastly more interesting character as Oracle anyways, but I'm well-aware that that ship has sailed.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Die Laughing posted:

Cass is honestly one of the only redeeming qualities about the comic. The story isn't very good, but Cass is true to her original incarnation while mixing new a couple new things that fit. I know some people aren't a fan of her new upbringing, especially concerning David Cain, but I think the alterations they made aren't just for the sake of changing and that's what matters.

I'm imagining both Cass and Steph will show up in that Batgirl & The Birds of Prey book that'll be coming up soon. DC would be huge fools to not include them in some way, but then again it is DC. There may be more books than just the ones we've heard coming up as well.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Die Laughing posted:

Except for that part where they editorially mandated her to be a villain in Adam Beechen's Robin (Adam Beechen also knew nothing about Cassandra Cain), when her role in that story could have very easily been filled by Nyssa Al-Ghul as 'villain who wants Robin to get on the murder train', only she got killed off at the outset because...reasons. And then put Adam Beechen, who still didn't know anything about Cassandra Cain, in charge of a miniseries supposed to 'fix' the character. Right about when it seemed like she was about to get back on track as a member of the Batfamily in Gotham again, they rebooted the universe and refused to allow her back for years - Harper Row exists because they wouldn't let the writers use Cassandra, for example.

And then Cassandra was criminally wasted in the Convergence: Batgirl miniseries by, again, another writer who didn't really understand her.

I'm hearig a lot of good things about B&R Eternal, but considering we have Rebirth coming up, who knows what'll happen to Cass then?

I am angry. ANGRY ABOUT BATGIRLS. :argh:

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

lotus circle posted:

Cass is honestly one of the only redeeming qualities about the comic. The story isn't very good, but Cass is true to her original incarnation while mixing new a couple new things that fit. I know some people aren't a fan of her new upbringing, especially concerning David Cain, but I think the alterations they made aren't just for the sake of changing and that's what matters.

The new David Cain is the weakest part of her new origin. He's a mustache-twirling villain now who can't even seem to win a fight against anyone but Harper.

That said, the issue that was pretty much just solo Cass was the best issue of the series so far.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Some random tweets that put me at ease.

Dan DiDio half-way confirming that there are still some experimental DCYou esque books in the mix. Also a potentially subtle hint at that Gerard Way Doom Patrol book:
https://twitter.com/dandidio1/status/700833003358957570
Prez still coming out in October:
https://twitter.com/Manruss/status/700488890986070016
Steve Orlando confirmed Midnighter will show up post Rebirth:
https://twitter.com/thesteveorlando/status/700494216829468673

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That's not even subtle. I should check out Umbrella Academy, finally.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
And I should go back and reread the Killjoys series. I would be intensely on board with him on Doom Patrol.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

graybook posted:

And I should go back and reread the Killjoys series. I would be intensely on board with him on Doom Patrol.

Killjoys is pretty rough. Cloonan is killing it, but man, the plot is just dull. You're better off watching the MCR videos it's based on.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Yvonmukluk posted:

I am angry. ANGRY ABOUT BATGIRLS. :argh:

Is this because you had to shut up about Spider-Girl in the Marvel thread?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
He didn't have too. At least it was something vaguely interesting.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
What if it's "blockbuster writer of Deadpool Daniel Way's" scrapped Ant-Man MAX story that was all about how Hank Pym would barely need any cocaine to get BLAZED and how he'd use his shrinking powers to go into a pile of used panties, rejiggered to be a bold new direction for the Atom?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
This is pretty cool

https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/701246164583190528

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

... Christ, it's hard to believe there are 35 years between those two.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 21, 2016

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Stan Lee is here to steal another soul.

Goddamn you would think those two are about the same age by that photo.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Shhh. The new Batgirl team is meant to be kept under wraps!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

What if it's "blockbuster writer of Deadpool Daniel Way's" scrapped Ant-Man MAX story that was all about how Hank Pym would barely need any cocaine to get BLAZED and how he'd use his shrinking powers to go into a pile of used panties, rejiggered to be a bold new direction for the Atom?

:stare:

That can't be real.

Can it?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Frank looks in better shape then he did in his last picture I guess.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Endless Mike posted:

:stare:

That can't be real.

Can it?
I didn't remember it exactly correctly and it was surprisingly hard to find on the internet, but yeah...

quote:

THE PULSE: What do you find the most challenging about having the variety?

WAY: The most challenging part is sitting down to write when all I really want to do is get hosed-up and get laid.

THE PULSE: What inspired your upcoming Ant Man Marvel Max series?

WAY: Axel asked me to write an Ant-Man Marvel Max series.

THE PULSE: Hank Pym in the Ultimates universe seems a little "Max" but the mainstream universe Hank Pym has never seemed that cutting edge or mature - at least before the Avengers 71 issue - so why was this Ant Man (as opposed to Scott Lange ) chosen for the Max series?

WAY: I don't know (just like I don't know about this "Avengers 71" thing). Marvel sent me this big book of old Ant-Man stories and said "go". I flipped through it--sometimes he got really small, sometimes he got really big...I didn't know what the gently caress was going on. So I just read the first 6 or 8 pages of the first story, got it and went off.

THE PULSE: What do you view as Hank's greatest assets?

WAY: Well...he can make himself really small. That's what we call his "power".

THE PULSE: What do you view as his greatest weaknesses?

WAY: Insecurity. Egomania. Totally gay outfit.

THE PULSE: What are your goals with this series?

WAY: Midget prostitute in a plush kangaroo costume.

THE PULSE: What are some of the elements that will make this comic have to be for Mature readers?

WAY: The butt-loving, mostly.

THE PULSE: Someone at Marvel commented "Ant Man could hang out in supermodels underwear drawers" or something along those lines. What if any plans do you have for Hank to do some pranks and silly things with his powers?

WAY: That was John Miesegaes...that guy's a goddamn idiot. You don't want the panties in the underwear drawer that are all clean and poo poo--you want the ones in the laundry hamper got the stank on 'em.

THE PULSE: When does this story take place? In the present? Past? What's Hank Pym's mindset like at the start of the story?

WAY: Time doesn't matter: THIS IS A COMIC BOOK. As for his mindset: He's pissed off and tired of being marginalized. Same as in the first 6 or 8 pages of the very first Ant-Man story.

THE PULSE: Which would you rather be: Ant Man or Giant Man or Yellowjacket? Why?

WAY: Who the gently caress are Giant Man and Yellowjacket? Doesn't matter: None of the above.

THE PULSE: What - if any - research did you have to do to write this story?

WAY: I told you about the big book, right?

THE PULSE: What other projects are you working on?

WAY: I'm working on this movie called "Kill-Crazy Nymphos Attack". It's gonna be fuckin' RETARDED.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Travis343 posted:

I don't give a poo poo what they call themselves. I just want to see Steph and Cass be friends. There can be three Batgirls or no Batgirls or whatever combination of Batgirls. I like all of the characters and I want to see them in good stories.

All of this.

Teenage Fansub posted:

That's not even subtle. I should check out Umbrella Academy, finally.
Absolutely. I just did a re-read not that long ago and it holds up drat well. I've really been hurting for Vol. 3.

• Locked thread