Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

ZenVulgarity posted:

Can you rank down

Paul posted an abysmal graph showing how the ranking changes work. You can only really drop if you're matched against inferior opponents (like you're tier 3 and they're 5) and you lose really really badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Fil5000 posted:

Paul posted an abysmal graph showing how the ranking changes work. You can only really drop if you're matched against inferior opponents (like you're tier 3 and they're 5) and you lose really really badly.

So no

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
gently caress that I can poo poo the bed in a tardbot for a week

Really fast stalker with one of every kind of weapon

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Tujague posted:

gently caress that I can poo poo the bed in a tardbot for a week

Really fast stalker with one of every kind of weapon

I bought Anansi specifically to have fun while grinding cbills and dropping my PSR.

It didn't work
:negative:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Grabbed my last Mauler this morning, the 1P.

PPCs and Autocannons on it feels...right :unsmith:

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

A.o.D. posted:

Just bug someone in GIRL in game. Everyone has invite rights.

I'm not sure how to even find someone in GIRL in game.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Honestly, the only way to play is to play in a group with goons create a new account everytime you hit tier 3.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
UAC5 Crab People
or
Ac5 LL Crab People
or
New and Improved Full Retard

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

it certainly is

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I will kill myself ritually if you cant.

My brain cant take one more conga line through the tunnels with the spearhead stopping and grinding into full reverse at the sight of 2 mediums.

You too can learn to play around the pubbies.

Roseo posted:

I'm not sure how to even find someone in GIRL in game.

Get on mumble.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

You don't seem to know what improved means

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
There are no words in elvish, entish or the tongues of men to describe the fun im having in this little rear end in a top hat.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
If someone could invite Natas Dog to WoL or GIRL that'd be great. I've got a stable of IS mechs and no clan ones, so whichever clan's doing IS is probably best for the time being.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Fil5000 posted:

I had a game the other day where I got the most kills on the team (2) and the second-highest damage (350ish) and my ranking went down. I guess because the team as a whole got rolled 12-5 and we must have been against lower-tier opponents? Still seems weird, not that I'm really complaining, I'm happy to stay in T3 as long as possible.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I think the trick with the Legend Killer is to get rid of the XL engine asap. Get the weapon cooldown module for the LB 10-X and chain fire them.

Even then it is a 'fun in limited situations but never good' type of mech. the 10X is just a bad AC10 that spreads it's damage all over the mech and is better at critting once you've gotten the armor down. The problem is getting the armor down in the first place, since the 10Xs are the main armament. I think the riflemen just showcase the problems with ballistics in general - they're too heavy for the payoff compared to energy weapons, and on a 60tonner it really shows.

On the positive side Riflemen with 275 engines or higher go very fast for a heavy, cruising around at 80 kph.

Don't buy the Riflemans for realbux.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Saddest Robot posted:

Don't buy the Riflemans for realbux at all.

FTFY.

Unless you specifically want a 60 ton mech for some reason then I would strongly suggest an actual medium mech or something much heavier with a decent payload and armor.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Jenner IIC for regular space money? Sweet, I want one. Right?

Yes, this is the one I want thank you goon

Yolomon Wayne posted:

this little rear end in a top hat.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

DancingShade posted:

FTFY.

Unless you specifically want a 60 ton mech for some reason then I would strongly suggest an actual medium mech or something much heavier with a decent payload and armor.

This times a billion. Don't make the same mistake I made. You really are better off with a heavier medium over it. Rifleman is just not worth it at all. Get a Jager or a Blackjack if you want a high mounted arm thing.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
So 19 when are you going to ban the large number of people you have acknowledged are cheating in your game?

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
let me guess, 2 weeks

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Russ 'we are too financially dependent on cheaters to ban them' Kerensky.

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005

Washout posted:

Get on mumble.

The problem here is the mumble channel is listed in the MOTD and not the thread.

Looks like he has an invite now at any rate.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Banano posted:

So 19 when are you going to ban the large number of people you have acknowledged are cheating in your game?

Did a few CW PUG drops last night and 3/4 of the pubbies would start cursing when we dropped against team Helios. It is so blatant that they are cheating that even dumb rear end pubbies know it. The only people that claim that cheating isn't a problem are some forums warrior who surprise, surprise are in one of the Helios units.

It's just pathetic. I called out Russ on Twitter a few days ago and asked why he is bluffing and all I go back was "No Bluff"

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Is there any point to the targeting computers beyond the first one? What kind of gimmick build would use the 7 slot one?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

That Gobbo posted:

Is there any point to the targeting computers beyond the first one? What kind of gimmick build would use the 7 slot one?

I've always assumed that some kind of Daishi laser sniper build on Alpine or whatever would play well into this gimmick..

I used to use the Level 3 one on my Shadow Cat but after like 30 matches with it I never really noticed its usefulness at all so I swapped it out for 3 heat sinks and now I can alpha a couple more times before shutting down. ymmv

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
It sucks that you are the one who gets penalized for killing a teammate who is intentionally shooting up the backs of allies. It's pretty much better to just let him cripple/kill your team and lose the match than to take care of the offender and try to carry on and win the match with the -100,000 space points or whatever. If I didn't have my premium time I wouldn't have saved my teammate.

Unfortunately this is the kind of situation where most solutions are worse than the problem they're attempting to solve. And the situation probably comes up so infrequently that it's not worth the effort.

Back to Riflemans chat, does it feel to anyone else that the hit detection on the side torsos is sometimes backwards? It has happened a few times where I have tried to shield my left side by twisting and presenting my right arm/side to the enemy, only to have my left completely blown off a few seconds later and my right remain untouched. It has happened enough in situations where I'm pretty sure I wasn't being surrounded/flanked that it makes me go huuuh.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Wow. A 30 damage alpha and all it took was an XL in a king crab. Amazing.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
A few questions to ask yourself before putting an XL in an inner sphere mech:

1. Is the mech a light or medium?
2. Is the mech a light or medium?
3. Is the mech a light or medium?

Riflemen, Jagers, Dragons, and Cataphracts are heavies that have to use XL, that's why they suck. XL in anything else is a bad special snowflake build.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

All he did was take half measures on the 6 ac2 xl360 kgc. It's not full retard at all, it's just bad. :colbert:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

That mech is neither jumping nor falling. It is firmly on solid ground. GG :pgi:

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Washout posted:

A few questions to ask yourself before putting an XL in an inner sphere mech:

1. Is the mech a light or medium?
2. Is the mech a light or medium?
3. Is the mech a light or medium?

Riflemen, Jagers, Dragons, and Cataphracts are heavies that have to use XL, that's why they suck. XL in anything else is a bad special snowflake build.

Huge CT mechs on the IS like Battlemasters, Grasshoppers and Black Knights benefit from XLs because no matter how hard you twist you'll probably get CT cored either way. They can also benefit from fitting a really big engine because they can all get fast with their larger engine caps and run alpha poke laser builds so they can avoid damage.

The King Crab is definitely not one of those mechs.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I disagree on Battlemasters with XL engines. They have big CTs but they also can bring a huge laser load on a standard engine. I laugh when people try to use XL Battlemasters; they're super easy kills.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Sputty posted:

Huge CT mechs on the IS like Battlemasters, Grasshoppers and Black Knights benefit from XLs because no matter how hard you twist you'll probably get CT cored either way. They can also benefit from fitting a really big engine because they can all get fast with their larger engine caps and run alpha poke laser builds so they can avoid damage.

The King Crab is definitely not one of those mechs.

For reference, he was trying to improve this mech, which was posted as a stupid gimmick. Its fun, but not something you'd take with the expectation of doing well. It just sorta happens sometimes.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

ZenVulgarity posted:

Can you rank down

It's actually pretty easy to do so, you just have to be in a light, the trial ones work fine and just bum rush the entirety of the enemy team firing wildly and hitting R. You'll get a bunch of cbills for the assists and scouting but even if you win you won't rank up because you did terribly and if you lose you'll lose rank. Takes a while but I'm at tier 4 and dropping down down down.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I have a Timberwolf D and looking to pick up 2 more to elite it. What other 2 variants should I get?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Some online guide I read said that you want the S because it's important for some reason, the A/C/D variants were all roughly equivalent and the Prime version kinda sucks.

So you get the S, one of the other 3 and the Prime so you can swap omnipods between them and get good builds out of all the chassis.

I'm working on getting my second at the moment.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Aesculus posted:

It's actually pretty easy to do so, you just have to be in a light, the trial ones work fine and just bum rush the entirety of the enemy team firing wildly and hitting R. You'll get a bunch of cbills for the assists and scouting but even if you win you won't rank up because you did terribly and if you lose you'll lose rank. Takes a while but I'm at tier 4 and dropping down down down.

Quoting this to find later to try.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Raged posted:

I have a Timberwolf D and looking to pick up 2 more to elite it. What other 2 variants should I get?

The ones with CT energy mounts.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Raged posted:

The S gets an extra jumpjet in the CT, but I'd skip it unless you really want that extra JJ, the side torsos give you jumpjets anyways. I think you want to get the 3 that have laser hardpoints in the CT, so the D C and A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Thronde posted:

Quoting this to find later to try.

Been doing this and it is hard to do. You will run across people so bad that you just have to kill them.

Thanks for the TBR picks too .

• Locked thread