Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I haven't played the game in almost 4 years and I just started again, thanks to this thread.

Basically I am having to relearn most of the game again, but I used this both when I started and now, with manual in hand.

It's a bit outdated and starts the player off in the campaign rather than a smaller scenario because that's how I learn games. I always have to jump into the deep end and learn to swim.

I recognize this is not how everyone learns, so it might not be for you, but it does a fairly good job of walking a new player through "what to do."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Cantorsdust posted:

I'm also thinking about buying the game. Does anyone have like a checklist or something that tells me what I need to check/change each turn so that I'm not making painful mistakes each turn like forgetting to set CAPs, convoys, etc?

Even after 3+ years at it Grey still makes painful mistakes.

heck, even seasoned grogs still make painful mistakes with this game because it is kind of huge.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Veloxyll posted:

Even after 3+ years at it

The first WitP game (requires archives) started December 7th, 2009 and was completed on July 18th, 2013. So that's 3+ years just for that one game, and we've had at least one more abortive attempt before this one.

As an aside, Grey, it'd be cool if you linked to the previous game in your OP or the second post or something, for posterity.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

The first WitP game (requires archives) started December 7th, 2009 and was completed on July 18th, 2013. So that's 3+ years just for that one game, and we've had at least one more abortive attempt before this one.

As an aside, Grey, it'd be cool if you linked to the previous game in your OP or the second post or something, for posterity.

Gery's allied run is also on the lparchive.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Leperflesh posted:

As it happens I believe we are a scant one week from today from when Grey's last attempt came to a screeching halt

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Epinephrine posted:

Gery's allied run is also on the lparchive.

Oh, hey! Nice!

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Ikasuhito posted:

As it happens I believe we are a scant one week from today from when Grey's last attempt came to a screeching halt
:ohdear:

Are there any mods that completely flip the game so that the US is the underdog? All the ones I've heard about just seem to give both sides tons of new toys to play with. I know that it's completely ridiculous but it could be interesting gameplay-wise.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

AceRimmer posted:

Are there any mods that completely flip the game so that the US is the underdog? All the ones I've heard about just seem to give both sides tons of new toys to play with. I know that it's completely ridiculous but it could be interesting gameplay-wise.

There are a few out there that majorly buff up the Japanese side(more CVs/CVLs, CA/CLs+DDs and more troops) so that the early game is a lot more interesting for the Allied player but I don't think there are any that stop the US rape train when it gets rolling.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Grey Hunter posted:

Lets skip to the ship kills shall we?

Australian? I don't think so!

http://www.rms-rangitiki.com/

:kiwi: :argh:

Call yourselves a Grognard computer games company!? That's a joke! You hear me a joke! :smug:

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

ZombieLenin posted:

I haven't played the game in almost 4 years and I just started again, thanks to this thread.

Basically I am having to relearn most of the game again, but I used this both when I started and now, with manual in hand.

It's a bit outdated and starts the player off in the campaign rather than a smaller scenario because that's how I learn games. I always have to jump into the deep end and learn to swim.

I recognize this is not how everyone learns, so it might not be for you, but it does a fairly good job of walking a new player through "what to do."

What's changed since the writing of that LP?

Dreamsicle fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 20, 2016

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

AceRimmer posted:

If you took away 50% of the allied munitions flowing into the theatre, you might push the close of war out another year or two.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Dreamsicle posted:

Reposting this here from the Grog Games thread since I got no response:

This AAR has a good first turn guide for the allies: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=2564541

Don't be afraid to jump in as the allies versus AI Japan. The game is set up to give you lots of leeway as you gain experience, and eventually grow more powerful to crush the enemy. (though I would recommend Coral Sea and Guadalcanal scenarios first to get the most basic mechanics down).

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Also stuff like your torpedoes are garbage on your subs early war, and you don't really have the air power to try to take out their carrier airwing or anythiing, so it's difficult to accidentally end your war effort in the first few months as the Allies.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Operation Buccaneer is also a good starting scenario for taking a base that isn't too hard initially

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

This area is packed with juicy targets. Shame they then proceed to launch no fighters.

There go the last of the fortifications here.

We also clean up around Sinyang some more.

A new and brutal fight starts at Taiyaun. I should win this one, but its going to be costly.

A dull day, as the Kido Butai launches no planes and sinks nothing. Boo! Boo I say!

We are beginning to confirm some kills from December though.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I think every time the KB has a ship encounter it spends ops points which it might otherwise spend launching planes. I'm not certain of it but it seems likely.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

RIP that base force (?).

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

And for a few of those men, RIP twice.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Maybe it was a field hospital.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Or some guys got shot twice.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Maybe they used the necromancy kit in their supplies to raise some people and inflate their kill count.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Maybe It got off Eniewetok

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Did it ever really happen that some random merchant sailed into the middle of a carrier task force?

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

The Chinese have a ton of HQ units comprised almost entirely of non-combat squads; that was probably one of them with a small engineer unit also in the hex or something.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Question: what happens to the supplies, resources, fuel, etc stockpiled at a base when it is captured? Do the Japanese get to take them, or are they destroyed, or some portion is destroyed?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

They remain in hex. So you can totally steal enemy supplies etc.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

So did Grey's computer die again?

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Dreamsicle posted:

So did Grey's computer die again?

It finally caught on to what Grey haa in store for it and did the smart thing.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Tokyo Bay fortress has been sighted...

near Grey's house.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Ikasuhito posted:

fortify Kaifeng?

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Ikasuhito posted:

It ended this eventual beating prematurely.

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!

Ikasuhito posted:

Curse you! :argh:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Dammit, lets hope she can limp home.

The men at Buna are bombed again.

Our men arrive at Singapore, and they make the dreaded auto shock attack. The losses are heavy, but it looks like I have the right number of men in the log term to win - once the rest move up anyway!

We take some more of Borneo.

The fighting continues at Wenchow.

At Taiyaun we hit the enemy and they crumble.

They retake Sinyang – most of our forces have been outside the city trying to clear up the defenders, and the Chinese sneak in an attack force.

Well, that was a day of ups and downs. Once more, the Kido Butai did nothing. There is not much more I can say.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

What's happening at Buna? Are those guys actually marching anywhere, or are they just sitting around getting bombed?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

PittTheElder posted:

What's happening at Buna? Are those guys actually marching anywhere, or are they just sitting around getting bombed?

Marching to Port Moresby. It's safer than risking a lot of ships.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah, but its over mountains, so its taking forever. I thin k they've covered 24 miles.
I may have to move the KB down there with an assault fleet. once the Philippines are secure.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Quoting from a few pages back:

goatface posted:

Mountain Jungle. Reduce your land speed to Nnnope.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Its still safer than trying to send ships in - especially with all those dive bombers!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Another small island is invaded by our mighty forces.

A new record for the Bataan bombing!

Come evening, we land at another base.

We attack at Bataan again, and take another layer of forts.

We continue to push south of Singapore.

The sound of the Banshee means death.

The Kido Butai finds another target.

The enemy attack them, but they are throwing away planes.

The next wave has Hurricanes, and one plane even sees one of our carriers. In the end, it makes no difference.

Wait! Why does the Shoho have men on a training flight. Unless that is what they are calling this turkey shoot.

The slaughter continues into the afternoon.

The Allies do us a favour and launch a vigerous counter attack at Singapore.

Owch.

I checked one unit for destruction and fatigue. Apparently I clicked on the most stable unit here and ordered a shock attack.

Thankfully the Wenchow assault pulls it back for us.

A solid assault at Amoy takes this city as well.

We also destroy a Corps in the north.

That was a bloody day, ten of thousands lie dead across the theatre. The enemy lost nearly fifty planes today, and two hundred points worth of troops – although we lost near a hundred ourselves. We are also down on three more bases I'm sure we can take tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure this ship picked up some fire in an invasion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Bye bye, Dutch air force.