Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Montasque posted:

Maybe it's less a religious than a regional difference, but Trump seems to be doing a lot better with SC evangelicals than he did with the Iowa evangelicals. Maybe it's because SC doesn't have a group of powerful evangelical kingmakers like Iowa had. Remember all those guys with the Dutch last names who went all in for Cruz? Ted don't have that in SC.

The american life episode is fantastic to see how SC evangelicals are a different breed than IA. "I thought I knew you" or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Pick posted:

you mean "the south carolina primary happened"?

i guess, if more of them than expected showed up, is what i mean

high turnout would probably indicate that this is the case, so maybe these preliminary exit polls are more sensible than i was giving them credit for. it's an open primary, right? the moderate republicans were probably already registered and going to show up; if you're getting new voters they're more likely to be, well, south carolinian

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Once Trump has the nomination locked up he should bring in Bernie as a running mate just to watch the GOP burn.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Apart from Christie sending him into loop mode my favorite Rubio moment was when he tried to take a shot at Cruz about not being able to speak Spanish followed by Cruz dropping a load of Spanish on him. He's just a clueless dick.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mckaycoppins/the-anxiety-of-marco-rubio#.wpQewR8ZY9

quote:

But to those who have known him longest, Rubio’s flustered performance Saturday night fit perfectly with an all-too-familiar strain of his personality, one that his handlers and image-makers have labored for years to keep out of public view. Though generally seen as cool-headed and quick on his feet, Rubio is known to friends, allies, and advisers for a kind of incurable anxiousness — and an occasional propensity to panic in moments of crisis, both real and imagined.

This jittery restlessness has manifested itself throughout Rubio’s life, from high school football games in Miami to high-profile policy fights in Washington — and in some ways, it’s been the driving force in his rapid political rise.
When Rubio was nearing the end of his final term as Speaker of the Florida House in 2008, he invited a small circle of loyal donors, local activists, and friendly media figures to an intimate breakfast meeting at Miami’s Biltmore Hotel to help him plot his next move. The consensus at the table was that he should wait for the right statewide race to open up — attorney general, maybe, or even governor. But Rubio, feeling the familiar itch of the achievement junkie, was distressed by the prospect of patiently waiting around. The next race he could conceivably enter was for the Miami-Dade mayorship, and according to people familiar with the meeting, Rubio worked himself into a minor tizzy trying to convince his skeptical breakfast companions that he should run: What if his donors got poached while he was out of the spotlight? What if his supporters abandoned him? He could be finished in politics if he screwed this up!

As his voice betrayed a growing agitation, some at the table began exchanging sideways glances, perplexed by the spectacle and slightly embarrassed for Rubio. Finally, Ninoska Pérez Castellón, a popular local radio personality who frequently interviewed Rubio on air, felt it necessary to interject with some tough love.
“Marco!” she snapped. “You could be governor, or even in Congress! You don’t want to burn yourself as mayor of Dade County.” Slow down and stop worrying so much, she told him. “People aren’t going to forget you.”
As one of the breakfast attendees recalled of the scene, “He was just missing that sense of maturity you want.”
Rubio has spent much of this campaign season contending with questions about his experience, as pundits and voters argue over whether he possesses the requisite gravitas for the Oval Office. One reason is his age: At 44, he is the youngest candidate in the field. But Ted Cruz is only a few months older — and has spent even less time than Rubio in the Senate — and yet he rarely finds himself fending off questions about his youth.
Another source of doubt may simply be Rubio’s appearance: Campaigning in middle-school cafeterias and gymnasiums across the Granite State this past week, Rubio’s carefully parted hair, lint-rolled quarter-zip sweaters, and stubble-free baby face give him the general appearance of a boy whose mother has dressed him up for church.

But more than age, record, or wardrobe, it is Rubio’s natural nervousness that makes him seem to so many who know him like he is swimming in his dad’s sport coat.

For all Rubio’s efforts at image control, he sometimes allows involuntary glimpses at his inner anxieties. For example, Rubio’s 2012 memoir, American Son, is — when read a certain way — less an inspiring tale of his unlikely rise to power, and more a harrowing chronicle of self-doubt and misery in the political arena. Indeed, for a politician defined by his sunny message and soaring rhetoric, Rubio’s 2010 Senate bid sounds, in his telling, like a merciless assault on his psyche: the race a gut-twisting roller coaster ride on which he was constantly convinced the next track-rattling twist, turn, or plummet would throw him from the cart and send him plunging to his death. The account is peppered with words like “inevitable humiliation,” “destined for failure,” and “despair.”

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hard to see how Kasich keeps fuel in the tank.

https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/701185674939133952

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Jeb! teaches by example I guess.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Good God does the general caucus thread attract some gutterfolk.

I think I'd rather stay in here where the discourse is at a higher level.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Phlegmish posted:

In what way are they different? Other than SC's being Southern Baptists, presumably.

Midwestern evangelicals are absolutely different from deep south ones, mainly in that religion has more primacy and the bible is taken more seriously. They actually believe in a very abstract way in Christian meekness, whereas Southern evangelicals are bloodthirsty and put god and country on more equal footing. That's good news for Trump.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Why does that exit poll seem to have a whole bunch of polled questions, but no actual exit poll on who people voted for? Like, what's even the point.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

Shakugan posted:

Why does that exit poll seem to have a whole bunch of polled questions, but no actual exit poll on who people voted for? Like, what's even the point.

They cannot release that before polls close.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
You know, without Citizens United, we wouldn't have this glorious election season.

The poo poo-tier candidates wouldn't be pulling in contributions to keep going for as long as they have.

Instead, it's a game of wealthy fuckwads playing My Pet President until they lose interest.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

They cannot release that before polls close.

Ah, I see.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

These are very disgusting words to say, but I'm rooting for Ted Cruz. For SC runner-up. Anything to delay the looming, inevitable Rubio doom a little bit longer.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Shakugan posted:

Ah, I see.

The whole point of exit polls is they are accurate at the time of closing and by revealing before the polls close they can be unintentionally influencing - if you think your candidate is winning in a landslide you might not feel the need to vote.

Republicans tried to take advantage of this in 2000.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The Saurus posted:

Good God does the general caucus thread attract some gutterfolk.

I think I'd rather stay in here where the discourse is at a higher level.

It could be even higher if you didn't post.

Mystery Goomba
Jun 4, 2011
The RNC scheduled a new debate!

https://twitter.com/steveholland1/status/701194150885117952

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I just felt a sharp pain in my liver.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Tesseraction posted:

The whole point of exit polls is they are accurate at the time of closing and by revealing before the polls close they can be unintentionally influencing - if you think your candidate is winning in a landslide you might not feel the need to vote.

Republicans tried to take advantage of this in 2000.

Sure, I understand the rationale (though the same could be said of polls in general), though it's strange that it's somehow ok to release extremely suggestive polls like "75% of voters support the muslim ban", "DT won x% of the 'very conservative' group" etc. You'd think they'd request a blanket ban on the release of any exit poll data.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I just felt a sharp pain in my liver.

They need a forum in which they can repeatedly have Marco mention that he used to be Mormon.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
They decided Trump had not yet had enough venues to publicly poo poo all over his opponents?

edit: and Carson to sound like a confused old man?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 21, 2016

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
That debate is a long way away.

We might be down to 3 by then. I think Marco will get absolutely slaughtered by both Trump and Cruz if that's the case.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Whew. For a short while I was afraid the RNC would listen to its own report on what it has been doing wrong.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Rubementum, noooo :negative:

I hope the other 99% are better voters.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
let it wash over you. dont fight it...dont fight it...let the exit polls warm you like a blanket on a cold day,

mmmmmmmmmm

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

It's Never Over

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
1% in, Google calls it a victory for trump

Google in the tank for trump???

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Lindsey Graham's campaign raised $752 in January. :3:

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Joementum posted:

Lindsey Graham's campaign raised $752 in January. :3:

That's a lot of mojitos!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Wonder what Graham's booze budget for January looks like,.

I'd honestly guess 4-5k +

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

T r a v i s posted:

This guy seems like a real "Rubio supporter" if you know what I mean.

i do, and agree

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

fronz posted:

1% in, Google calls it a victory for trump

Google in the tank for trump???

lmao, you're right:

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
CNN called for Trump

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Rubio's 3-5-3 strategy is about to become 3-5-3-3 leading into the Super Tuesday 3-5-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3 which in turn leads to a lot of question marks that lead to the nomination I guess?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Sweaty Cruz is pounding away at Rubio bit by bit. He's grunting and gnashing his teeth and Rubio's chugging down the water.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

a cop posted:

Sweaty Cruz is pounding away at Rubio bit by bit. He's grunting and gnashing his teeth and Rubio's chugging down the water.

Uhhhhhhhh :gay:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Cruz and Rubio tie :pray:

(Yes i know it's just a statistical artifact of 1% reporting, but a man can dream.)

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Adar posted:

Rubio's 3-5-3 strategy is about to become 3-5-3-3 leading into the Super Tuesday 3-5-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3 which in turn leads to a lot of question marks that lead to the nomination I guess?

Yeah but the party decides!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

a cop posted:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Phlegmish posted:

To think, Donald 'Two Corinthians' Trump, who is vaguely aware that the Bible is that book those guys like, is winning with conservative Christians.

Who else are they going to vote for? Carson has less chance than 2012 Rick "Santorum" Santorum, and Cruz is a Canadian sleeper agent made of ooze.

At least the next and final President of the United States of America loves this country and wants to make it great again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breaklaw
May 12, 2008

The Saurus posted:

That debate is a long way away.

We might be down to 3 by then. I think Marco will get absolutely slaughtered by both Trump and Cruz if that's the case.

This is the biggest question and it will probably decide the primary. Will Cruz and Rubio team up against Trump like the GOP probably wants or will it be Trump and Cruz both going after Rubio? Or will we see Trump and Rubio both going at Cruz?

So far Trump and Rubio have had the least direct conflict with each other. I think they both lay into the infinitely hateable Cruz since they both probably think they will get the majority of his support if he leaves.

• Locked thread