Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

how do i know i'm having fun........... if the game doesn't tell me......................

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

You're half-right. The finding part of that was awesome, the actual exploration was not because sailing around on a flat blue carpet is very dull.

The problem that the Zelda formula has w/r/t open world stuff is, how are you going to reward people that explore? There's no XP/level system like traditional RPGs, and since one of the linchpins of the Zelda experience is immensely meaningful and specific loot (i.e. the Hookshot, Bomb Bag, Boomerang), you can't hide that stuff in Bumfuck Nowhere Dungeon, so whatever is in that dungeon is likely to be completely useless garbage like rupees or ammo, or incremental upgrades to your health/ammo, which tends to lose its luster as the game goes on (yay, now I have 19 hearts, this is a big improvement from when I had 18).

I really don't think it's going to be Zelda Skyrim. Listening to Aonuma talking about the open world in earlier videos it sounded like he just wanted the world to be more cohesive. I'm expecting it to be like Wind Waker except the world will fit together better/more seamlessly. I really doubt they'd ditch the whole thing of 8-12 main dungeons, each one with a cool item etc. (I wouldn't want them to) Maybe they'll try to do a better implementation of Link Between World's idea of doing dungeons in any order or something but I don't think they're going to lean as hard on the open world stuff as you're expecting

To be honest just in general if they tried to make Zelda more like a Western RPG I'd be disappointed (And I like those kinds of games)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's going to be Zelda Dark Souls

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

He's right though, wiener.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

RyokoTK posted:

You're half-right. The finding part of that was awesome, the actual exploration was not because sailing around on a flat blue carpet is very dull.

The problem that the Zelda formula has w/r/t open world stuff is, how are you going to reward people that explore? There's no XP/level system like traditional RPGs, and since one of the linchpins of the Zelda experience is immensely meaningful and specific loot (i.e. the Hookshot, Bomb Bag, Boomerang), you can't hide that stuff in Bumfuck Nowhere Dungeon, so whatever is in that dungeon is likely to be completely useless garbage like rupees or ammo, or incremental upgrades to your health/ammo, which tends to lose its luster as the game goes on (yay, now I have 19 hearts, this is a big improvement from when I had 18).

Tbh the open world genre has never been able to provide interesting rewards at the end of exploration/side content, those games always live and die on the strength of the content itself. Bethesda games are particularly bad about this.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 21, 2016

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
zelda games are good in my opinion

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I don't know, I'm worried about the whole Open World deal. How many 3D Zelda games actaully had an interesting overworld? Usually there's a few caves and rocks to blow up, with nothing else. Everything you need is in towns and dungeons you can't skip, so even if you find stuff it's, like, a Heart Piece, at most. Imagine that, but 100 times bigger.
I hope Nintendo understands this, because after Skyward Sword, where you couldn't even go anywhere (on any of small rocks) until the game pointed you to it, big world in a Zelda game scares me more than anything.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Most post-OOT overworlds have sucked because they keep coming up with new contrivances to avoid making them.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

As long as the dungeons, music, and general atmosphere are good, I don't really care what they do with the overworld.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

oddium posted:

exploration is its own reward

This is right. Exploration is great if there's new content to be seen, not even necessarily what you'd normally consider a reward. One of my fondest memories in Ocarina of Time is walking around Death Mountain and hearing mooing coming from nowhere. After a bit of wandering about, I bombed the floor and there was a cow. Why was there a cow? How the hell did it get here? That's already more interesting than an empty corner.

It's not just Zelda. Messing around the first town in Ultima VII rewarded me with a random unicorn that gave me a lengthy speech about how his species was used by humans to check prospective wives and how that actually got him chased out of the last town. Ultima was in general full of little things like that.

In Twilight Princess, by contrast, I gave up on exploring pretty early when it turned out that any reward would probably be more rupees I couldn't even take. I don't know if it was just bad luck, but I don't remember finding many heart pieces in that game. I thought they would be all over the place, since it took 5 pieces to get anything, but nope, it was rupees all the way down.

Also, Wind Waker has been mentioned, but post-OoT, both Majora's Mask and Link Between Worlds have also had really great, full of secrets overworlds.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the best zelda is spirit tracks zelda, but wind waker, skyward sword, and hyrule warriors are honorable mentions

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Sakurazuka posted:

It's going to be Zelda Dark Souls

Dark Souls is kinda like Zelda already.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hmmmmmm... Nah

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

oddium posted:

how do i know i'm having fun........... if the game doesn't tell me......................

Cheevos

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sade posted:

Dark Souls is kinda like Zelda already.

Dark Souls is probably my favorite Zelda game :yeah:

Also I hope "Open World" doesn't mean a dumb item system like A Link Between Worlds had. So much of the magic in Zelda games to me is wondering "what's the next dungeon item and gimmick going to be", so having everything just plopped out in front of you from the get-go felt incredibly :effort: The Zelda games are crazy formulaic but they're also super fun, so I don't feel like they really need "reinventing".

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Also I hope "Open World" doesn't mean a dumb item system like A Link Between Worlds had. So much of the magic in Zelda games to me is wondering "what's the next dungeon item and gimmick going to be", so having everything just plopped out in front of you from the get-go felt incredibly :effort: The Zelda games are crazy formulaic but they're also super fun, so I don't feel like they really need "reinventing".

given the false choice between LBW's really inventive puzzles and something like TP's insert-item-into-keyhole approach I'd much rather have the former

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
As I said, it's really formulaic. You go through 1/3 to 1/2 of the dungeon while passing some switches/puzzles/thingamajigs pondering about what the dungeon item could be that solves them, then you get the item and solve the dungeon. With the new item in hand, you can unlock some new stuff on the overworld or in previous locations and you might also find some creative use for it in other dungeons. Rinse and repeat.

That's kinda what Zelda games are, at least to me, so I find it strange to want to change it when you could instead just make or play a different game. Let Zelda games be Zelda games :shobon:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

it's not about fundamentally changing the series, it's about making it the best it can be. aonuma himself said they haven't been able to achieve what they wanted in the 3D games thus far.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I would love nothing more than to just be free to explore a lonely overworld, and be rewarded for it with simple things like stumbling onto a sidequest. Zelda games are best when the fun is in a task itself, rather than its completion.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Your Computer posted:

If you want to talk about games that do Zelda better than most Zelda games, the winner for that slot is definitely Darksiders.

e: A Link Between Worlds was such a good Zelda game. Yeah it took away some of the mystique of "oh man what cool treasure am I getting in this dungeon?" but most of that poo poo you find in Zelda games, you already expect. Oh, it's bombs, hookshot, and boomerang again :geno: So rather than try to be mysterious about it, they just completely based the game around taking the LTTP mechanics and executing it exceptionally well, and it totally worked.

Also it has the best rendition of the Dark World theme.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 21, 2016

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is Darksiders really that good? It looks like the least appealing game ever to me.

I thought Okami was the best not-Zelda.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is Darksiders really that good? It looks like the least appealing game ever to me.

The presentation on paper is absolutely appalling. It's this completely over-the-top Devil May Cry kinda poo poo and all of the characters take themselves 100% seriously the entire time, it's extremely stupid. But it's the 3d Zelda formula with a really nice brawler combat system (kinda DMC- or God of War-lite), surprisingly decent platforming/parkour stuff, and really outstandingly good level design. Also it has great voice acting, particularly from Mark Hamill.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

I never tried Darksiders because I couldn't get past the art style. If it's actually good, maybe I'll try it out some time if it held up.

As for Okami, I had that game and never finished it because it just looked like a blurry mess on my TV, like a badly compressed JPG :negative:

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

In that kinda mood to play animal crossing , but also gotta play my new Zelda games. The strugs.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Golden Axe Warrior is the best not-Zelda:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttD1ei0ND14

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
I thought Crystalis was the best not-Zelda. Or Golvellius, if Crystalis doesn't qualify.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

darksiders is pretty good, i wouldn't go as far as to say it's better than any zelda though really

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
mystical ninja starring goemon is the best not-zelda

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Mystical Ninja Staring Goemon and Brave Fencer Musashi was the best not-Zelda

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015

mabels big day posted:

Link with a gun? Anyone?

No joke, I want to see a Zelda with Linkle as the main character, but since she wields crossbows the combat isn't swordplay, it's a shooter.

Now I'm gonna get yelled at.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Neutopia was the best not-zelda you loving heathens.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Randumb Thots posted:

No joke, I want to see a Zelda with Linkle as the main character, but since she wields crossbows the combat isn't swordplay, it's a shooter.

Now I'm gonna get yelled at.

Link's Crossbow Training dot jpg

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
The first Adventure Time game was a pretty fantastic not Zelda

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

RyokoTK posted:

The presentation on paper is absolutely appalling. It's this completely over-the-top Devil May Cry kinda poo poo and all of the characters take themselves 100% seriously the entire time, it's extremely stupid. But it's the 3d Zelda formula with a really nice brawler combat system (kinda DMC- or God of War-lite), surprisingly decent platforming/parkour stuff, and really outstandingly good level design. Also it has great voice acting, particularly from Mark Hamill.

I loved the bit of Darksiders 2 that I played. It's like Zelda in Brütal Legend land. You don't just find a small key, you rip the chest apart with your huge skeleton arms and carry the key that's basically as long as you're tall to the door. It's not a hookshot, it's a manifestation of your otherworldly powers, Death's Grip. It's so over-the-top it rolls right back to good.

One thing I noticed was even though the combat was more involved than in Zeldas, with combos and a loot system and everything, there was less of it. It was also pretty cleanly divided from the puzzles. Usually you'd get a couple puzzles, then a combat arena, then you'd go back to the puzzles. This also meant you wouldn't get a tektite FOUL UNDEAD jumping at your face and messing up your climbing or whatever.

It's a good game, I should finish it sometime.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

mabels big day posted:

Link with a gun? Anyone?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Aithon posted:

I loved the bit of Darksiders 2 that I played. It's like Zelda in Brütal Legend land. You don't just find a small key, you rip the chest apart with your huge skeleton arms and carry the key that's basically as long as you're tall to the door. It's not a hookshot, it's a manifestation of your otherworldly powers, Death's Grip. It's so over-the-top it rolls right back to good.

One thing I noticed was even though the combat was more involved than in Zeldas, with combos and a loot system and everything, there was less of it. It was also pretty cleanly divided from the puzzles. Usually you'd get a couple puzzles, then a combat arena, then you'd go back to the puzzles. This also meant you wouldn't get a tektite FOUL UNDEAD jumping at your face and messing up your climbing or whatever.

It's a good game, I should finish it sometime.

Darksiders 2 is actually not very much like Darksiders 1. It's a lot more of an action RPG, with the random loot and the more divorced puzzling/fighting. Darksiders 1 does not have random loot, all the gear is Zelda-style stuff that you find in dungeons.

Also the quality rapidly deteriorates. The first area of Darksiders 2 is really super cool. Then you go to the Land of the Dead and that part's pretty neat but repetitive. Then the game just goes to complete poo poo and never recovers. It's not worth finishing. The last dungeon in Darksiders 1 is really bad too but that's just one dungeon, the rest of the game makes up for it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

less laughter posted:

The dungeons are tons of fun, but the sailing and trainrides that take up fully half of the 20-hour game time are pure torture.

The sailing was pretty easy and quick. The train stuff was annoying tho cause your top speed was still pretty slow, the fast travel warps were annoying since to get around you'd often have to jump through multiple warp points, and there wasn't anything you could do with the demon trains since they were invincible, even if you got them to run into each other (in which case they would just pass through each other harmlessly).

Basically, if they had made it so you could get that last fight powerup where you could hold down the whistle in order to travel at super fast speed and crash through demon trains, then that would have made it so much better.

The skull engine helped mitigate some of the boredom tho since autotune whistle was entertaining enough

The dungeons and music and characters are great in both tho

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Yeah, everything in Darksiders 1 is great until you get to the dungeon where you have to align the beams, which is an absolute slog and one my least favorite Zelda dungeons ever, but everything after and before that is very good.

Darksiders 2 however drops off hard after the second hub area area, though the bosses are still really cool, so you might want to stick with it for those. The Argul's Tomb dlc is also pretty neat and had at least one unique boss in it, but that's the only dlc area I played so I can't comment on the others.

As for actually talking about Zelda, I'm totally down for an open world, as long as moving around the world itself is fun. If I can have fun just running around and checking out the scenery in an area, like say, Xenoblade (spent 6 hours just exploring Gaur Plains when I first got there before even doing any of the quests in that area), then I'm absolutely in favor of having an open world. If it's just like OoT, or TP, where its just huge swaths of grass with maybe a tree and a river then I'd rather have Skyward Sword's bight-sized, open-air mini dungeons leading into the real dungeons.

Speaking of Skyward Swords, I actually really did like it's little obstacle course mini-overworlds and I hope that the new Zelda game takes a bit of inspiration from it and tries to actually work some thought and challenge into traversing the land, so you can't just tie a rubber band to your joystick and wait for your horse to run from point A to point B.

Davinci fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Feb 21, 2016

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The first blood omen was a zelda-like, wasn't it?

And oceanhorn cribs pretty heavily from Wind Waker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Davinci posted:

Yeah, everything in Darksiders 1 is great until you get to the dungeon where you have to align the beams, which is an absolute slog and one my least favorite Zelda dungeons ever, but everything after and before that is very good.

The thing about that dungeon is that it's clear that's where the budget ran out, because it's also super bland-looking. All the other dungeons and areas are super detailed and intricate and have no copy pasting, and then the last dungeon is just gray blank halls where you align those goddamn beams and it was so bad.

• Locked thread