Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://www.deepdiscount.com/senran-kagura-estival-summer-ed/853466001865

If anyone wants to risk :10bux:, there's a price mistake here on Senran Kagura Estival Versus. They tend to oversell quantities and have to cancel orders but are a legit site. It changes to "The Last Guardian" Vita in the description at checkout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Dehry posted:

If anyone wants to risk :10bux:, there's a price mistake here on Senran Kagura Estival Versus. They tend to oversell quantities and have to cancel orders but are a legit site. It changes to "The Last Guardian" Vita in the description at checkout.

I took a gamble on this, not reassuring though that drat near there whole Vita offerings are back-ordered.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Yeah I kind of thought about it and then realized it was a pre-order so it'd probably get cancelled anyway.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Freedom Wars. It's a good game but oh boy if the Monster Hunter formula is becoming way too cryptic, formulaic and outdated to capture the international market. Seriously to innovate in the Monhun like games they should make western developers do the action parts and streamline the loot and crafting system, because who for the love of God can green light a game that puts the use consumable button with the button used to revive friends and "tie the monster to the ground"?
Scej, of course :argh:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

limaCAT posted:

puts the use consumable button with the button used to revive friends and "tie the monster to the ground"?
IIRC you can change the control scheme to put that somewhere else.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

limaCAT posted:

Freedom Wars. It's a good game but oh boy if the Monster Hunter formula is becoming way too cryptic, formulaic and outdated to capture the international market. Seriously to innovate in the Monhun like games they should make western developers do the action parts and streamline the loot and crafting system, because who for the love of God can green light a game that puts the use consumable button with the button used to revive friends and "tie the monster to the ground"?

Toukiden on Vita and Final Fantasy Explorers on 3DS both streamline the MH formula down to the basic killing monsters and crafting poo poo setup. Trouble is if you do that too much it ends up kind of anaemic and FFE is little more than a beat em up where you fight classic FF monsters.
Freedom Wars on the other hand seemed like it was a bit too ambitious and threw everything but the kitchen sink in.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Sounds like the monster hunter part isn't the bad part of that game

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Schrodingers cat posted:

I think it's been answered before but if I am going to buy only 1 Atelier game and I'm new to the franchise; which is the one I want?

As a counterpoint to all the Escha & Logy recommendations, I played Ayesha after playing the Arland trilogy, and I thought the Arland games had much better gameplay and atmosphere. You said one Atelier game, but I'd consider picking up one of the Arland games on a sale, in case those are more your thing. Atelier Rorona and Atelier Meruru are both very good.

EDIT: actually, Atelier experts ITT, should I try Escha & Logy if I didn't like Ayesha?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What didn't you like about Ayesha? I always thought of the PS3/Vita Atelier's that if you liked one you'd probably like them all.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

lets hang out posted:

Honestly, all the Monster Hunter games i know of* on the Vita are great, with slight flaws that can largely be ignored. The main problem is that they're all made for for different tastes, mixing up parts of the gameplay in different ways to deliver a slightly different combat experience; which sadly results in people who don't like that specific flavor to decry the whole thing as "bad".

Freedom Wars is the only real tragedy in there, because it was seemingly tied to Sony so much that their implosion regarding Vita things has preempted a clean-up release like the other three have gotten.

* Soul Sacrifice, Freedom Wars, Toukiden, God Eater 2

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Enchanted Hat posted:

EDIT: actually, Atelier experts ITT, should I try Escha & Logy if I didn't like Ayesha?

Sure I never played Ayesha but I had a lot of fun w/E&L Plus. Ofc I had no idea who the repeating characters were but you know that's what wiki is for nowadays.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Dehry posted:

Yeah sure what the hell I'll roll the dice on this. If I actually get it, I'll trade it for a PS4 copy if there are any takers for that.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I bought the booby game preoder.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i just rewatched the giant bomb video of akiba's trib and it reminded me not to throw good money after bad anime

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

You guys make poor choices.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Like buying a PS Vita.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Enchanted Hat posted:

As a counterpoint to all the Escha & Logy recommendations, I played Ayesha after playing the Arland trilogy, and I thought the Arland games had much better gameplay and atmosphere. You said one Atelier game, but I'd consider picking up one of the Arland games on a sale, in case those are more your thing. Atelier Rorona and Atelier Meruru are both very good.

What didn't you like about Ayesha?

Escha and Logy has only a small handful of changes that might matter:

If the boob jokes and similar turned you off, E&L almost entirely avoids those.
If the time limit or general loose quest atmosphere turned you off E&L is more focused and has an extremely forgiving time limit.
If the combat system bored you E&L is a big improvement.
If the alchemy system bothered you, E&L has a more in-depth alchemy system and also changed how consumables work. (They are instantly replenished when you return to town rather than being used up permanently.)

Otherwise it's very similar. If you disliked the tone/atmosphere or just in general disliked the concept of tons of alchemy and crafting you're not gonna change your mind on E&L or Shallie.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i just rewatched the giant bomb video of akiba's trib and it reminded me not to throw good money after bad anime

God, I still get flashbacks to those horrible controls.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I actually enjoyed the tactical level of the brawling in Akiba, which was nice, since it wasn't disrupted by the lowish fps.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Ordered! I am very excited for copy of

uhhhhhhhhh

(I know it's a known thing, but lol)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fools, you're only gonna get the Vita version of The Last Guardian instead

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

C'mon, everyone knows The Last Guardian is a myth. You can't just like buy it off the Internet.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Saoshyant posted:

C'mon, everyone knows The Last Guardian is a myth. You can't just like buy it off the Internet.

Maybe this is how they're hiding it. :tinfoil:

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Boobies truly are the last guardian of the Vita's life.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lets hang out posted:

Yeah, crafting is the poo poo part of Freedom Wars.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

limaCAT posted:

Soul Sacrifice Delta is the best Monster Hunter Like since it streamlines a whole lot of MonHun poo poo while also having a baguely interesting setting and story. As much as I like Freedom Wars it has a lot of weird bullshit and a pretty awful plot that's a complete waste of a somewhat novel setting.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Firing your thorn at your downed teammate is a better use of your time than running up to them and hitting O ever will be. Other than that, yeah, Freedom Wars was kinda lame, especially the crafting, but it's fine enough for me to still play it.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Is the crafting like tactics ogre bad where it's insanely tedious to make anything or just rare materials that are a pain to farm?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
It's pretty annoying since the good poo poo you need are on special operations, which demand that you either have a fully upgraded AI party (and you'll still lose more often than not) or you go online and find others to help you out so you can actually stand a chance of winning. It's tolerable if you have friends, it's poo poo if you don't.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

Soul Sacrifice Delta is the best Monster Hunter Like since it streamlines a whole lot of MonHun poo poo while also having a baguely interesting setting and story. As much as I like Freedom Wars it has a lot of weird bullshit and a pretty awful plot that's a complete waste of a somewhat novel setting.

SSD is OK except I went to the part where I couldn't progress since my missions were 5*+ which kinda killed my enjoyment of the game. It did try a bit too much to be edgy with everything being grimdark and I get it after CH1 how the world is a terrible place.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Improbable Lobster posted:

Oh yes I was playing Soul Sacrifice with my black cat on my lap. Hearing "meow meow" and the prompt "do you want to squish this cat soul for eternity so that you can get THE POWER OF FIREBALLS" made me go "nope nope nope nope". Uninstalled the game. Luckily it was a PS+ game
I know Pixels and all but seriously dude, that meow was soul crushing and I just thought that if I wanted to unlock the fireball I should have gone to play some D&D.

(Actually got to the second chapter but Sony didn't try enough to make me hate the ogres, and yes I know the lore is all about corruption and ogres are cats who ate wizards kids or something. I am still thinking about buying Delta without playing it just because It's a legit good game).

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

limaCAT posted:

Oh yes I was playing Soul Sacrifice with my black cat on my lap. Hearing "meow meow" and the prompt "do you want to squish this cat soul for eternity so that you can get THE POWER OF FIREBALLS" made me go "nope nope nope nope". Uninstalled the game. Luckily it was a PS+ game
I know Pixels and all but seriously dude, that meow was soul crushing and I just thought that if I wanted to unlock the fireball I should have gone to play some D&D.

(Actually got to the second chapter but Sony didn't try enough to make me hate the ogres, and yes I know the lore is all about corruption and ogres are cats who ate wizards kids or something. I am still thinking about buying Delta without playing it just because It's a legit good game).

I've been to that place before.

There's enough games to buy out there that you shouldn't reward a :airquote:legit good game:airquote: that hits you like that. And maybe not any other Inafune joints.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

limaCAT posted:

Oh yes I was playing Soul Sacrifice with my black cat on my lap. Hearing "meow meow" and the prompt "do you want to squish this cat soul for eternity so that you can get THE POWER OF FIREBALLS" made me go "nope nope nope nope". Uninstalled the game.

same. I miss my cat a lot.

Although it gets better since later on you can fight more variety of creatures instead of small animals :chome:

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

ImpAtom posted:

What didn't you like about Ayesha?

Escha and Logy has only a small handful of changes that might matter:

If the boob jokes and similar turned you off, E&L almost entirely avoids those.
If the time limit or general loose quest atmosphere turned you off E&L is more focused and has an extremely forgiving time limit.
If the combat system bored you E&L is a big improvement.
If the alchemy system bothered you, E&L has a more in-depth alchemy system and also changed how consumables work. (They are instantly replenished when you return to town rather than being used up permanently.)

Otherwise it's very similar. If you disliked the tone/atmosphere or just in general disliked the concept of tons of alchemy and crafting you're not gonna change your mind on E&L or Shallie.

That's helpful, thanks. The not-so-clear quests and the confusing alchemy system were a big part of the problem, so I might pick up E&L. The rest of it came down to characters, as I thought Ayesha was just a really dull character, and I wasn't nearly as impressed with :swoon:Keith:swoon: as the game wanted me to be.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

limaCAT posted:

:psyduck:

Is there some kind of intro section that forces you to sacrifice cats, or could you just not be bothered to save them instead?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Sacrificing cats for the ultimate power seems like a jab at Monster Hunter which is all "cats are awesome". The one thing Inafune did right :colbert:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Sacrificing cats for the ultimate power seems like a jab at Monster Hunter which is all "cats are awesome". The one thing Inafune did right :colbert:
That's not remotely how the game works.

To get "ultimate power" in battle, you need to sacrifice your skin, an eye, an arm, or things like that, at least until the next battle. All enemies you encounter though are corrupted creatures. Rats, cats, ravens, lots of people. And when you've beaten the monster down enough, it reverts to its natural form and you can choose to save, sacrifice, or let fate decide. At the start of the game you travel with Sortiara who'll tell you to sacrifice everything, but the decision is entirely up to you, as well as for most of the rest of the game. (Some missions preempt the decision on people.)

As for the effects, if a sacrifice happens you get dark experience, which levels up your attack, if a save happens you get light experience for defense. Additionally depending on your alignment, each has different effects in battle as well, which can be: restore magic spell ammo, buff attack, buff defense, heal.

Let's also not forget this game starts you out in a cage filled with bones, offal and cockroaches.

Edit: And you can dress up as a cat too. :v:

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 21, 2016

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
an unpopular opinion: soul sacrifice is extraordinarily dull and one of the worst MH games ive played. freedom wars and toukiden are both far far better

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Stux posted:

an unpopular opinion: soul sacrifice is extraordinarily dull and one of the worst MH games ive played. freedom wars and toukiden are both far far better

Allow me to quote this objectively wrong opinion for posterity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Well, it has been known a long time that Stux is unable to tell fact and taste apart.