Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Xenomrph, can you explain a bit on that or toss us a link? I've always been a fan of the weird early Alien 3 scripts (the Gibson one not so much, thought the Space Cold War angle was really cool) but don't own a DS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Wild T posted:

Xenomrph, can you explain a bit on that or toss us a link? I've always been a fan of the weird early Alien 3 scripts (the Gibson one not so much, thought the Space Cold War angle was really cool) but don't own a DS

I can't remember exactly which script it's referencing, but the Union of Progressive People's (UPP), basically space communists, show up as an enemy faction in the DS game. They were a subplot from one of the Alien3 script drafts, but I'd need to do some digging to refresh myself on which one.

There's also some low-tech combat robots as enemies, which I believe was an idea from one of the scripts as well. Incidentally similar combat robots show up as enemies in the Alien3 light gun game, too.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 20, 2016

Dr. Memory
Jul 10, 2001

Ah, fuck the end of the world.

Stare-Out posted:

I remember the Atari Jaguar AvP game being terrifying because it ran like poo poo and had fairly effective sound design. It's a bad game but many a pants were nearly shat crawling around in vents and turning a corner and HOLY poo poo an Alien is right in your face at 15 frames per second.

I remember that game. The AI couldn't handle moving around a table to get you.

I really had fun playing as the alien in it, though. As the Predator, you'd see aliens and marines just chilling in a room together.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I believe the UPP were an even earlier idea for Alien 3 that would have arrived on the forest planet when they were thinking of making it like Snow White (a grimdark version of Snow White starring Sigourney Weaver and Sam Neil actually did come out a few years under the name Snow White: A Tale of Terror).

SMERSH Mouth posted:

A 2D metroid-style maze side-scroller with a huge variety of environment types and lots of different variations of xenomorph...would be cool.

Edit: What was the 16-bit platformer game where the later levels were on a gigeresque nightmare planet? Turrican for Genesis? That was a fun game.

You've probably played it but you might like Alien 3 on the SNES a lot, it came out a year before Super Metroid and is...a 2D metroid-style maze side-scroller. RIght off the bat all of the SNES' buttons are used to fire each of your weapons which you have all of from start to finish. It has some cool music, and some very nice graphics. They remind me a bit of Silent Hill 1 as the game uses an odd filter type effect now and then and very jaggededly colored scenery to try to get the tone of the movie down. It's also rad because you start in a hub and select different missions throughout the area to do and what order you do them in can change around stuff. Like you can repair something to open up a shortcut, or wipe out a nest of aliens in a specific area so that they won't appear as much somewhere else. Or you can cut off another huge nest completely by collapsing a wall but this also permanently destroys part of the medical area so you can't backtrack to its large cache of health refills for the rest of the game. The soundtrack is cool too, borrowing themes from all three Alien films instead of just the third one.

I think it's a much better than than Aliens: Infestation. I liked Infestation but ti's honestly not that good, the combat is really uninteresting and tedious as you basically have to just inch around and crouch a lot to succeed. If the action were more fun it would go a long way to making the game better.

This game was the first and ended up being the basis of particular look and game structure Probe would use several times on the SNES and Genesis for other movie games, though Alien 3 is the best of them by far. SNES/Genesis Judge Dredd is almost good sometimes too though, and Demolition Man and Stargate aren't the worst games ever made.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 20, 2016

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Just stay away from the Genesis version of Alien 3 that Probe made. It's a hot dumpster fire where they took the gameplay of the SNES version, removed any objective besides "maze hunt for X amount of cocooned prisoners" and "fight the same boss monster every 4-5 levels" and to top it all off stick you with a time limit that requires you to figure out the optimal path by brute force.

I don't recall ever beating it to see if the end boss was anything other that the same weird, buff not-queen muscly alien the game had reused like four times previously. On the bright side it was pretty and the audio was good, but it was just a bad, bad game.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Wild T posted:

Just stay away from the Genesis version of Alien 3 that Probe made. It's a hot dumpster fire where they took the gameplay of the SNES version, removed any objective besides "maze hunt for X amount of cocooned prisoners" and "fight the same boss monster every 4-5 levels" and to top it all off stick you with a time limit that requires you to figure out the optimal path by brute force.

I don't recall ever beating it to see if the end boss was anything other that the same weird, buff not-queen muscly alien the game had reused like four times previously. On the bright side it was pretty and the audio was good, but it was just a bad, bad game.
I learned this firsthand, it was the first time I learned as a child that "not all games are the same, even when they have the same name".

I had played the SNES version of 'Alien3' at a friend's house and it was great, but my family had a Sega Genesis. I saw a used copy of Alien3 for Genesis for sale at Blockbuster Video and convinced my mother to buy it for me, thinking it was the same game.

It isn't. It really, really isn't. :saddowns:

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Pretty sure I had that version on my Game Gear, I barely got past the first few levels but did enjoy the little animation of all the chestbursters that would play when you failed a level.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It was pretty funny how both Alien 3 games wanted to be an Aliens game though. Ripley had her combined flamethrower/gun from the end of Aliens and the plots would have made more sense for an Aliens game. (Rescue the trapped people and so-on.)

Alien 3 SNES even used Hick's Game Over Man voice clip for the game over scene.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

It was pretty funny how both Alien 3 games wanted to be an Aliens game though. Ripley had her combined flamethrower/gun from the end of Aliens and the plots would have made more sense for an Aliens game. (Rescue the trapped people and so-on.)

Hudson sir. He's Hicks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GoldStandardConure posted:

Hudson sir. He's Hicks.

Well done.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Hudson sir. He's Hicks.

Best possible response

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ImpAtom posted:

Oddly enough, the Alien3 game for Game Boy is arguably the most faithful to the film. You don't get any weapons, there's only one Alien, and it's basically a pseudo-RPG where you run around acquiring items and interacting with characters in a way that almost-kinda resembles the movie. Moreso than running and gunning against dozens of Aliens with a pulse rifle/flamethrower combo gun, at least.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Hudson sir. He's Hicks.

:golfclap:

It'd be cool to see a game like Alien: Isolation take on the environment of the third movie. We've seen plenty of grungy, dimly-lit industrial areas in games but it had a unique and oppressive lighting to it that made it stand out. The red and orange haze made it look Hellish, which was probably intentional.

Plus as great as Isolation's cat and mouse game was it'd be intense to take on a scene where you're just running for your life, tipping over obstacles and closing doors along the way to slow the alien down. On the other hand it could just as easily turn into a frustrating mess of QTEs so maybe it's for the best.

Xenomrph posted:

I can't remember exactly which script it's referencing, but the Union of Progressive People's (UPP), basically space communists, show up as an enemy faction in the DS game. They were a subplot from one of the Alien3 script drafts, but I'd need to do some digging to refresh myself on which one.

There's also some low-tech combat robots as enemies, which I believe was an idea from one of the scripts as well. Incidentally similar combat robots show up as enemies in the Alien3 light gun game, too.

That was the William Gibson script. I read it once on a boring night shift in Afghanistan and it was surprisingly bad, considering the author. The only cool part was the implication of a space Cold War among various colonies and how the factions dealt with an outbreak of aliens. Interestingly enough it was almost opposite of the final script in that it focused entirely on Hicks and Bishop -- Ripley, if I remember right, was in a coma and packed up in stasis the entire time (I'm assuming it was written before Weaver agreed for a third film). But the plot involved the aliens evolving into a spore that spontaneously converted a human into a full-grown alien, there were jeep chases and it was just poo poo all around. It contained the laughably bad "running away from pollen" scene from The Happening two decades before that movie was made.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 21, 2016

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Yeah, the plan was to bring Sigourney back for the fourth one in that continuity. Here is more than you ever wanted to know about the Gibson scripts (he wrote two drafts).

One script that I never see mentioned (for good reason!) was Eric Red's abomination. It's sort of a proto-AvP:Requiem.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Oddly enough, the Alien3 game for Game Boy is arguably the most faithful to the film. You don't get any weapons, there's only one Alien, and it's basically a pseudo-RPG where you run around acquiring items and interacting with characters in a way that almost-kinda resembles the movie. Moreso than running and gunning against dozens of Aliens with a pulse rifle/flamethrower combo gun, at least.

This is 100% untrue and sounds like you never actually played the game.

I like Alien 3 GB but very shortly into the game there's facehuggers/aliens aplenty running around and you absolutely get weapons. You get a cattle prod and a pistol like three minutes into the game and more from there and even have to kill a queen alien at the end by luring it past the foudnry piston like in the movie.

The one thing I hate about the game is that to save on memory/development time all of the game's items appear as a generic dot on the ground before you choose to pick them up, so you waste a lot of time having to see if every single thing in the world is something you need or not. What I do love is that even though the story is a bit different the writing does a good job at having the same voice as the film (without the constant profanity after Andrews dies in the film though) - a lot of the dialogue could be straight from the movie even though the words are different.

Wild T posted:

Oh yeah I meant to mention, here's the deal, Alien 3 first came out on the for all the popular European computer systems like the Amiga, then it was released on the Genesis a little later. This game is awful but was weirdly praised by some back in the day (mostly in some Amiga and C64 magazines).

It wasn't until 1993 that this Alien 3 came out on the NES. Same game but some slight level changes but it's still crap. It DOES however feature a totally new and excellent NES soundtrack by Joreon Tel!!!!

Fortunately, in 1993 we also got three completely unique and good Alien 3 games for the SNES from Probe/LJN, Bits Studio/LJN, and Sega. These are Alien 3 for the SNES, GB and the arcades.

Then, the final wimper of the Alien 3 video game saga happened, years after the film had come and gone, in 1994, that crap version of Alien 3 that got ported to the Genesis was released on the Game Gear as well.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

This is 100% untrue and sounds like you never actually played the game.

I like Alien 3 GB but very shortly into the game there's facehuggers/aliens aplenty running around and you absolutely get weapons. You get a cattle prod and a pistol like three minutes into the game and more from there and even have to kill a queen alien at the end by luring it past the foudnry piston like in the movie.

The one thing I hate about the game is that to save on memory/development time all of the game's items appear as a generic dot on the ground before you choose to pick them up, so you waste a lot of time having to see if every single thing in the world is something you need or not. What I do love is that even though the story is a bit different the writing does a good job at having the same voice as the film (without the constant profanity after Andrews dies in the film though) - a lot of the dialogue could be straight from the movie even though the words are different.
My apologies, I'm clearly mixing it up with something else. I haven't played it since it was new, I should have checked a youtube video to refresh my memory before posting.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012
Sorry for the random intrusion in the conversation, but I just caught up with this thread. I just want to chime in and say that a) the Assembly Cut helps make Alien 3 a better, more fleshed-out movie, but still doesn't absolve it of some of the core issues it has. Queen facehugger owns bones, though.

And b) Alien Resurrection is a terrible Alien movie, but a fantastic adaption of some obscure, independently published French comic book from the 80's that never actually existed.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Sef! posted:

Sorry for the random intrusion in the conversation, but I just caught up with this thread. I just want to chime in and say that a) the Assembly Cut helps make Alien 3 a better, more fleshed-out movie, but still doesn't absolve it of some of the core issues it has. Queen facehugger owns bones, though.

And b) Alien Resurrection is a terrible Alien movie, but a fantastic adaption of some obscure, independently published French comic book from the 80's that never actually existed.

I still can't believe how much less Resurrection is than the sum of its parts. Like all of the elements are there to make a good movie. The script is so bad though and you could tell no one could decide if the movie was supposed to be "serious" or not. I know Whedon always talks about Resurrection in terms of "they ruined my masterpiece" but the biggest difference between the script and the movie is the design of the Newborn and that they didn't have the $$$/time to film the big hydroponics garden last stand shoot out against the aliens, neither of which would have turned the movie around.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
This might be a bit controversial, but after rewatching Aliens for the first time in maybe 10 years, it sort of looks like garbage, especially compared to Alien. I watched the Directors Cut, which I think added a godawful blue tint to everything and makes it look incredibly cheap. But even without the colour fuckery, I found maybe one interestingly shot scene - the beginning when Ripley is found by the salvage crew. The rest, not so much. It's just ugly and cheap looking (again, this could have a lot to do with the remastering).

As it stands, I'd rather rewatch Alien 3 than Aliens.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

I still can't believe how much less Resurrection is than the sum of its parts. Like all of the elements are there to make a good movie. The script is so bad though and you could tell no one could decide if the movie was supposed to be "serious" or not. I know Whedon always talks about Resurrection in terms of "they ruined my masterpiece" but the biggest difference between the script and the movie is the design of the Newborn and that they didn't have the $$$/time to film the big hydroponics garden last stand shoot out against the aliens, neither of which would have turned the movie around.
While Whedon's script isn't a masterpiece, I'll give him credit that some things got lost in translation from script to screen. Jeunet is a very surrealist director and it shows in his other works, and it also shows pretty heavily with Resurrection. I'm not sure that Jeunet "got" all of the tone and intent behind what Whedon's was putting on the page. There's moments in the movie that seem to be played for laughs when on the page Whedon's intended it to be played straight, and vice versa. Tone changes can be okay when it's a deliberate choice (the "maybe it's because I'm Irish" line in The Shawshank Redemption comes to mind), but when it's due to legitimate misunderstanding like how Resurrection feels, it makes the movie seem inconsistent and uneven, as if there were major communication disconnects during production.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Neo Rasa posted:

I read the script a little bit a ago. I love Whedon. I love Serenity/Firefly. I love The Avengers. But that script was poo poo. Little difference to the final film. Almost every bad line is in there still, every dull character. Johnner is the stand out, and they got the best person in the world to play him. So I guess that's one good thing JPJ did for the film.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
It should've focused more on Ripley suddenly being super good at basketball just in time for the Space Finals, but will her Alien blood allow her to play?

Electromax fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 21, 2016

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Electromax posted:

It should've focused more on Ripley suddenly being super good at basketball just in time for the Space Finals, but will her Alien blood allow her to play?

Space Jam 2, just have Sigourney Weaver make a cameo where she sinks a no-look half-court shot.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

While Whedon's script isn't a masterpiece, I'll give him credit that some things got lost in translation from script to screen. Jeunet is a very surrealist director and it shows in his other works, and it also shows pretty heavily with Resurrection. I'm not sure that Jeunet "got" all of the tone and intent behind what Whedon's was putting on the page. There's moments in the movie that seem to be played for laughs when on the page Whedon's intended it to be played straight, and vice versa. Tone changes can be okay when it's a deliberate choice (the "maybe it's because I'm Irish" line in The Shawshank Redemption comes to mind), but when it's due to legitimate misunderstanding like how Resurrection feels, it makes the movie seem inconsistent and uneven, as if there were major communication disconnects during production.

I don't really buy this though, even a series like Alien where they got an auteur "this is how it's gonna fuckin' look and be" type director making any movie like this is a huge collaboration. According to Jeunet many of the parts shot for humor like Purvis' last stand and other mixes of absurdity and gore were encouraged by the studio. None of them stumbled into making the movie the way it is by accident, but at the end of the day it's so much less than the sum of its parts and basically one of the worst flicks in the franchise.

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

This might be a bit controversial, but after rewatching Aliens for the first time in maybe 10 years, it sort of looks like garbage, especially compared to Alien. I watched the Directors Cut, which I think added a godawful blue tint to everything and makes it look incredibly cheap. But even without the colour fuckery, I found maybe one interestingly shot scene - the beginning when Ripley is found by the salvage crew. The rest, not so much. It's just ugly and cheap looking (again, this could have a lot to do with the remastering).

As it stands, I'd rather rewatch Alien 3 than Aliens.

This actually makes sense since he deliberately imitates Ridley Scott's style down to the lighting for that entire scene. He talks about this a bit on the commentary, how he loved Alien so much that it was important for him to try to pay respect to Scott and then have the film become more and more his own style as it goes on.

I don't believe there's a blue filter on the blu-ray though, they did get rid of much of the noise but unlike in lovely releases like in Predator* Cameron/etc. personally went over every frame of the movie and cleaned it up. A good in between would be if you get the Quadrilogy DVD version, this release looks great while still keeping the super 35 film noise intact. But I'm really happy with how it looks on blu-ray too.

*It sucks that no incredible looking home release of this movie exists because it's a super colorful film.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 22, 2016

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I've heard from multiple sources now that the Aliens Blu-Ray makes it look "cheap" and that it appears they changed the color timing. I haven't seen the thing myself but every clip and screenshot I've taken a look at doesn't seem off to me. I'm going to have to see it for myself one of these days.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

If memory serves, the director's cut on the Blu-ray has more of a blue tint while the theatrical cut looks a bit better. Which is fine with me, since outside of the turret sequence the theatrical is so much tighter. :can:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I don't know how to talk about any of that on a technical level but it just looked a clearer to me, it was always one of the bluest movies ever made by design, I think it's almost less blue on blu-ray. In general it always just looked to be without the grain to me. They fixed a few minor goofs too:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/18187/incredible-aliens-restoration-blu-ray-caps
http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=294598

It's interesting to talk about because Cameron himself changed his mind on this he specifically wanted the film grain left in for the DVD release but then switched for blu-ray.

I actually never watched the theatrical version on DVD/blu-ray, I had no idea there was a difference.

Remember when commercials for how awesome DVDs are and DVD marketing was talking up deleted scenes to make it sound like you could seamlessly change your mind about which cut of the movie you were watching and stuff? How much less Aliens and Star Wars discussion would happen if that was real. :O

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 22, 2016

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Timby posted:

If memory serves, the director's cut on the Blu-ray has more of a blue tint while the theatrical cut looks a bit better. Which is fine with me, since outside of the turret sequence the theatrical is so much tighter. :can:

^ Ha, I actually don't think that's a controversial opinion. Plenty of people love and prefer the director's cut, but I think the consensus is that most people should see the theatrical cut first, and if they love the movie revisit it with the director's cut.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Neo Rasa posted:

Remember when commercials for how awesome DVDs are and DVD marketing was talking up deleted scenes to make it sound like you could seamlessly change your mind about which cut of the movie you were watching and stuff? How much less Aliens and Star Wars discussion would happen if that was real. :O

They also made a big deal about seamlessly switching different camera angles but that never happened either.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Even James Cameron prefers the theatrical version. I like how they both now have intros from Scott and Cameron that are basically like "I directed the perfect film that you saw in theaters but the people in marketing wanted to say a thing so enjoy these extra scenes."

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Neo Rasa posted:

This actually makes sense since he deliberately imitates Ridley Scott's style down to the lighting for that entire scene. He talks about this a bit on the commentary, how he loved Alien so much that it was important for him to try to pay respect to Scott and then have the film become more and more his own style as it goes on.

I don't believe there's a blue filter on the blu-ray though, they did get rid of much of the noise but unlike in lovely releases like in Predator* Cameron/etc. personally went over every frame of the movie and cleaned it up. A good in between would be if you get the Quadrilogy DVD version, this release looks great while still keeping the super 35 film noise intact. But I'm really happy with how it looks on blu-ray too.

*It sucks that no incredible looking home release of this movie exists because it's a super colorful film.

That's interesting, I found myself getting less and less enthusiastic about the shots as the movie progressed. Not a fan of Cameron's style I guess.

And look at this colour bullshit:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I can see how the top Blu-ray shot might feel a little blue but that bottom capture looks a million times better than the DVD. There's actual contrast, for one.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
It's loving orange and teal man, how lazy can you get with your colours?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I'm not really going to criticize Cameron and Biddle for some color usage that didn't become a meme until 25 years later.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Those are good colors. People like them and want to use them.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Their use of colour was fine 25 years ago, but they made is as obnoxiously orange and teal as possible in the blue-ray release.

CelticPredator posted:

Those are good colors. People like them and want to use them.

Too much of a good thing is bad.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Fury Road is the most orange and teal movie ever made and everyone agrees it looks awesome

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The fuzziness and lack of contrast are good (notice in the first example there is better contrast in the original). This scene is two mothers defending their children and the environment is supposed to be super hot/humid. The bluray touchups look sterile, clinical, mechanical like Transformers. I'll stick with my DVD copy.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

As opposed to just orange in the DVD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

computer parts posted:

As opposed to just orange in the DVD?

Looks less like a Magic Bullet preset.