Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Alright, I'll try and sum this up.

Pro-her:

1) She's correct, the current social-economic environment in the States is loving terrible, and it shafts over 90% of the population so some fat fucker can buy another golden yacht for his fleet. Vote Bernie Sanders.

2) The utter lack of unions, employee protection and Merit-based recompensation scheme is, in fact, a massive contributor to the above. The utter disdain that upper management tend to have for human beings should be rectified. Violently if possible, due to the level of control such people tend to possess over the legal processes of the state.

3) She does have a right to complain about this, and good on her for doing so.

Con-her:

1) Following your dreams is kinda dumb. Not in general, having ambitions is more or less what self-improvement and/or capitalism is all about. But when you're a kid moving to a city to pursue your dream job is really only an option for the incredibly talented and/or connected. She's learning now to understand realism/pragmatism, but seeing how long it took for her to get into that, I'm kinda thinking that she didn't exactly go through the school of hard knocks in her earlier years.

2) As others before me have pointed out, she had enough information budget-wise to realise the entire thing wasn't going to pan out. Perhaps she was hoping for a promotion early on to bump things up, but I'm pretty sure after a week she would have had enough information to realise that that, too, wasn't an option. For her part, she seemed way too stubborn and rather dissonant with reality - again, I guess she's learning from this.

3) I was going to more-or-less mock her university choices here, but trying to balance it out with the usual "Head of M16 was a Masters in English Lit too" shite fell flat when "The Exception proves the rule" came donuting into my brain.

All in all, her dreams were shattered and she's disillusioned. I sympathise, but all I can really say is "Vote Sanders".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

WarpedNaba posted:

Alright, I'll try and sum this up.

Pro-her:

1) She's correct, the current social-economic environment in the States is loving terrible, and it shafts over 90% of the population so some fat fucker can buy another golden yacht for his fleet. Vote Bernie Sanders.

2) The utter lack of unions, employee protection and Merit-based recompensation scheme is, in fact, a massive contributor to the above. The utter disdain that upper management tend to have for human beings should be rectified. Violently if possible, due to the level of control such people tend to possess over the legal processes of the state.

3) She does have a right to complain about this, and good on her for doing so.

Con-her:

1) Following your dreams is kinda dumb. Not in general, having ambitions is more or less what self-improvement and/or capitalism is all about. But when you're a kid moving to a city to pursue your dream job is really only an option for the incredibly talented and/or connected. She's learning now to understand realism/pragmatism, but seeing how long it took for her to get into that, I'm kinda thinking that she didn't exactly go through the school of hard knocks in her earlier years.

2) As others before me have pointed out, she had enough information budget-wise to realise the entire thing wasn't going to pan out. Perhaps she was hoping for a promotion early on to bump things up, but I'm pretty sure after a week she would have had enough information to realise that that, too, wasn't an option. For her part, she seemed way too stubborn and rather dissonant with reality - again, I guess she's learning from this.

3) I was going to more-or-less mock her university choices here, but trying to balance it out with the usual "Head of M16 was a Masters in English Lit too" shite fell flat when "The Exception proves the rule" came donuting into my brain.

All in all, her dreams were shattered and she's disillusioned. I sympathise, but all I can really say is "Vote Sanders".

Agreed, except your conclusion. The only solution is kill and/or eat the rich.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Agreed, except your conclusion. The only solution is kill and/or eat the rich.

Do not let your bourgeois go to waste. There are starving African children that would love to have what you have.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Canemacar posted:

Do not let your bourgeois go to waste. There are starving African children that would love to have what you have.

For sure, just sometimes they have too much heavy metal poo poo going so it would be unhealthy to eat them. You're usually home safe if they're younger than 30 tho.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

quote:

I’ve since stopped using my heater. Have you ever slept fully clothed under several blankets just so you don’t get a cold and have to miss work?

A grown assed adult that hasn't heard of germ theory is also bad at managing their finances? Coincidence, or... could they be dumb?

Also lol at the concept of being cold in the SF area.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

A grown assed adult that hasn't heard of germ theory is also bad at managing their finances? Coincidence, or... could they be dumb?

Erm, it was 55F today in SF. So yeah, it was cold.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

It's kind of relative. When I first moved to where I live now I used to laugh my rear end off at anyone who would say it was cold, more recently I've been covering my feet up because "Oh man it's kind of chilly tonight" and not using fans. Then I feel bad when I look at the temperature and realize it's like, 60.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/jeb-bush-ends-2016-presidential-campaign-n522831

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Might be painful to coin collectors.

Man cleans a 100k coin.

Guess what happens next,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk0F_sQY-kM&feature=youtu.be

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Switzerland posted:

I know it's cliché as gently caress to harp on about 'hurr durr that's not cold' but jebus christ, that's 13c. That's more or less "Maybe I'll put on a sweater when I go out" here.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Lime Tonics posted:

Man cleans a 100k coin.

Guess what happens next,

:negative:

my heart....I need my pills..

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Nuebot posted:

It's kind of relative. When I first moved to where I live now I used to laugh my rear end off at anyone who would say it was cold, more recently I've been covering my feet up because "Oh man it's kind of chilly tonight" and not using fans. Then I feel bad when I look at the temperature and realize it's like, 60.

My furnace broke last year when it was 0 f out, house dropped to 55 f and it was pretty cold. Slept with a lot of blankets but I certainly didn't sleep fully clothed. The humidity was virtually nothing though which I don't imagine is a problem in San Fran.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Lime Tonics posted:

Man cleans a 100k coin.

Guess what happens next,

The video posted:

So was this a knowledgable collector?

This was somebody with $102,000.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Keru posted:

I know it's cliché as gently caress to harp on about 'hurr durr that's not cold' but jebus christ, that's 13c. That's more or less "Maybe I'll put on a sweater when I go out" here.

It's all relative, I've got friends from Hyderabad that will wear a jumper below 30ºC. It's quite possible I know more people who have never seen snow than have at least once. 13ºC here would probably make it one of the coldest, if not the coldest, day of winter.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Birb Katter posted:

It's all relative, I've got friends from Hyderabad that will wear a jumper below 30ºC. It's quite possible I know more people who have never seen snow than have at least once. 13ºC here would probably make it one of the coldest, if not the coldest, day of winter.

To be fair, I live in the grvm and frostbvtten North, I have not seen brother Sun for many, many moons.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
Does anyone else remember the helmet-cam video from a competitor in a downhill bicycle race (I think), where he comes to a sharp/poorly-marked corner, and just flies off a cliff? I'm pretty sure there are other bicyclists down there, and/or one or two more come sailing over the edge in the same spot as the guy doing the filming. I've found a lot of mountain-biking accident videos, but I can't seem to find this particular one.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Oh poo poo epic burn picture caption.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yHckRTkcZg

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Lime Tonics posted:

Man cleans a 100k coin.

Guess what happens next,

:bang:

No, no, no. Never, ever try to "clean" or "improve" antiques.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

:bang:

No, no, no. Never, ever try to "clean" or "improve" antiques.

I don't get why the coin was ruined. Care to explain the 'freude?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Lechtansi posted:

Him polishing it not only makes it look fake and dumb but doing so means the nerd society won't authenticate it as a mint condition coin (which it was) and that's all these goosefuckers care about.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
It looks like a chocolate coin now.

Switzerland posted:

lmao

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I was expecting it to be broken in half or melted or something. "It's really smooth and shiny now" isn't very impressively bad.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
When was the last time you saw a real coin that you could see your face in?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

dpbjinc posted:

When was the last time you saw a real coin that you could see your face in?
Never. But I can't really imagine caring about my ability or inability to do so.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I couldn't see my face in it though :confused:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Data Graham posted:

I couldn't see my face in it though :confused:

You need to polish your monitor.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Strudel Man posted:

Never. But I can't really imagine caring about my ability or inability to do so.
idk I might care about a hundred thousand dollar+ drop in value

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

XMNN posted:

The guy bought it in 2004, and the coin expert with the funny glasses said it would be worth $250k now. So it dropped about $240k.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
People who collect things solely for profit deserve every terrible thing that happens to them ever

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Birb Katter posted:

Where the gently caress in Australia do you live? It can drop down to 4 degrees overnight where I live during winter.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Lechtansi posted:

Here's some quotes from YouTube that explain it a bit better than I can. Antique furniture is more my thing, but the theory remains the same.

quote:

Going from Mint to Circulated removes at least half the value, add in removing the patina cuts the value in half again, add heavily polished (maybe machine polished) removes 3/4 (or more) of the value on top of all the other factors. What he did is akin to sandblasting an OLD detailed smooth Roman marble statue until most of the detail was gone and had a rough surface just so it would be a brighter white.

quote:

The coin originally has a matte finish. The new owner polished the coin to a glossy finish, not particularly well done I might add, changing the look of the coin completely. It now looks like a cheap gold chrome copy of the real deal. Not to mention, the act of polishing metal inherently damages the details of the coin by flattening out the details.

quote:

A coin, as it comes from the mint, has something called luster. The metal flows out from the press and leaves a frosty finish. That finish wears off pretty quickly in circulation. This coin had never circulated. It was a pristine example of its type and year. It was very rare in that condition, which was why it was so valuable. Destroy the condition, ruin the value.

Zamboni Rodeo has a new favorite as of 04:43 on Feb 21, 2016

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Testekill posted:

Where the gently caress in Australia do you live? It can drop down to 4 degrees overnight where I live during winter.

I figured they were talking daytime temps.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

XMNN posted:

Yes, obviously, but if the reason for that drop in value is the bizarre habits of coin collectors rather than something more fundamental in what the person did, it reflects less on the guy than on who he's trying to sell it to.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Taking a collectible item in pristine condition and completely obliterating the original finish and having that tank the value is hardly bizarre.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

WarpedNaba posted:

Funny, I remember people saying the same thing 8 years ago about someone else.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Here's some quotes from YouTube that explain it a bit better than I can. Antique furniture is more my thing, but the theory remains the same.

I have something that will break your heart: I own a dresser and two small tables that were originally purchased by my great-great grandparents (I'm in my late 20s). They are solid white mahogany.

There are no less than 6 coats of lovely paint on them, most recently spray painted black from the late 90s (my parents).

One day I will strip them (there's undoubtedly a lead based paint on at least one layer so that'll be fun) and try to restore them but ultimately the damage is done. :negative:

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

Yes, obviously, but if the reason for that drop in value is the bizarre habits of coin collectors rather than something more fundamental in what the person did, it reflects less on the guy than on who he's trying to sell it to.

If it weren't for the bizarre habits of coin collectors, the coin's value would never have risen from $20 in the first place. :colbert:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Coin collectors and values aside, the same "don't loving try to make it better, idiot" principles apply to the handling any historical artifact. Archivists, archeologists, curators, and professional restoration experts have extremely complex ethical codes and procedureal guidelines for handling, cleaning, and "improving" old things of historical significance. EG if you find an old print book in a ratty brown falling-apart leather cover, with the stitching coming out, don't take it to a book binder and have a new cover put on it with new stitching. The people who are interested in such things are interested in every feature of the item, and want to preserve everything. Some of the ignorant poo poo I've seen done to old books in the name of "improving" them is loving madness.

If you want to get an earful, phone up an archaeologist and say "hey I found this neat thing in the ground, want to see it? Oh I've already scrubbed it with a good brush and soap and water for you, and put a new handle on it. And I threw out all of the rotten leather. It's perfect and ready for you to study!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
You know how they say a picture is worth a thousand words?