Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
So we played at a Store Championship today. GT was nothing but Brobots and TLTs, which is sorta good (Brobots!) and sorta bad (3+ TLTs!). I figured we could skate through to 4-1 and see how top 4 played itself out.

Didn't happen.

My list:

quote:

Captain Yorr's Ruse Cruise

Whisper (41)
TIE Phantom (32)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
Agent Kallus (2)
Advanced Cloaking Device (4)

Omega Leader (26)
TIE/fo Fighter (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (26)

Captain Yorr (32)
Lambda-Class Shuttle (24)
Emperor Palpatine (8)

Total: 100

Game 1: We flew against Poe/"Red Ace"/stresshog, which is I list I ran for a month and recently dropped to play POW. Knowing the list's strengths and weaknesses, I was able to exploit them pretty ruthlessly; the Y-Wing got one-turned by Whisper, OLeader, and the shuttle firing on him, and Poe got bumped next turn and suffered a similar fate. Red Ace was just cleanup at that point. 100-0. A good dude, by the way. Very down on himself after the loss, but I tried to be friendly and explain that I'd basically been running his list for a while and that's why I read his dials so well. He wound up finishing 3-1-1 (modified win), which was good enough for 5th and better than I did.

Game 2: Brunas. We've tabled his Black Crack several times before. I am not afraid of his list. Unless Omega Leader gets one-turned from range 3, in which case we're pretty afraid of the list. Still almost pulled it out, but God (and Brunas) as my witness, I have never had dice that bad before. It was absolutely ridiculous how improbable his rolls were, repeatedly. Sad times. 30-100, although Vader was at 1 hull.

Game 3: Vader/Omega Leader/generic Firespray. Firespray with Tactician and something else I forget; Vader was VI Vader and Omega Leader had Stealth Device with his usual. He set his Firespray wide, so I set up in the opposite corner; he decided to joust Whisper and Omega Leader with Vader and Omega Leader, and his OL promptly got 1-turned. The shuttle did his job before going to 1 hull and getting the gently caress out. Whisper cleaned up the Firespray, OL did his job against Vader. 100-16.

Game 4: Brobots, but with a twist - Wired, Sensor Jammer, Autothrusters, and HLC, IG88-B and D. He came in from the flank but wound up with no shot at OLeader and Whisper on his pointman ship, D, who got obliterated by Whisper and OLeader + dicehax - 8 damage in one turn, see ya later. Next turn he narrowly parked on a rock. 100-0. I literally did not take damage in this game. Why I ever thought Brobots would suck for POW is beyond me, and shows I'm still really bad at X-Wing.

Game 5: Jank troll list of HWK-290 with Tactician and TLT x2, a stresshog, and two Zs. Horrific dice, to the point where the store manager watching my game at the top tables offered to buy me a beer. Killed a HWK, got chewed under by TLT spam. 26-100.

So 3-2, which is better than last time, and I feel like I could very easily have gone 4-1, and with some luck even 5-0. With that last loss, and dice making my losses really bad defeats, I thought for sure we'd miss top 8, but we did not. So I got my ruler, and now I'm on to practicing for Store Championships at Atomic Empire next Saturday. I think we can do it, boys.

Quick hits:
- Can't wait for Ezra. Poe/Ezra/stresshog should wipe pure-TLT lists off the face of the Earth. That is literally a 9:1 favoring PEG (Peggy? Peggy Hill is this list nickname now? I don't know) if I had to guess it. TLTs cannot kill Ezra, and basically can't kill Poe. It sucks that the answer to TLT spam is "slightly fewer TLTs with a jousting ace and a ridiculously tanky shuttle," but at this point I think it's worth it just to take the most boring games out of the pool. Run 4 TLTs? gently caress you, get Peggy Hill'd.
- Autothrusters did worse than I thought. Fel made zero appearances, and plenty of Poes were running Integrated to make room for the TLT on the Y-Wing. Of the Top 8, 2 of us didn't run TLTs - myself, and a BBBBZ that had some pretty favorable matchup help and some nice, clutch crits (PS0 on an enemy ace in two consecutive games). GT loving loves TLTs. I think if we had decent dice against Brunas we 4-1 and skip over the troll list, but I didn't, so we didn't.
- No other POWs played - I was the only one. Felt weird. I feel like POW is very easy to spot as a strong list. Has fewer counters, seems better than VFP on its face, has nice synergy. I think POW fights Peggy Hill pretty well, in fact, too. So we just run both lists, I think Captain Yorr's Ruse Cruise and Peggy Hill will be my stable for a while.
- Really thinking about ways to sneak Sensor Jammer into my list; I think we can swap FCS for Sensor Jammer and drop Kallus entirely to keep our bid if necessary, but that's mostly for when I'm worried about massed TLTs, which I'd rather just run PEG for.
- Someone asked earlier what I think of Electronic Baffle. It's loving amazing on paper. It is so good I am considering taking it on Yorr and losing my bid with VI Whisper. I'm not sure we'll do that, but it's an incredible upgrade with a ton of potential. I will playtest it for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Corbeau posted:

Sienar Test Pilot (16)
Concussion Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)
TIE/v1 (1)

Sienar Test Pilot (16)
Concussion Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)
TIE/v1 (1)

Sienar Test Pilot (16)
Concussion Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)
TIE/v1 (1)

Captain Jonus (22)
Predator (3)
Extra Munitions (2)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
XX-23 S-Thread Tracers (1)
Proton Bombs (5)
Guidance Chips (0)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Dice fixing and action economy? Yeah, we got that.

yes.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The list I'm waiting for once Chimps hit is the Z swarm, augmented.

Lieutenant Blount (17) [19]
XX-23 S-thread Tracers (1)
Veteran Instincts (1)

Bandit Squadron Pilot (12) [16]
Concussion Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)

Concussion Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)

Concussion Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)

Concussion Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)

Concussion Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)

Total: 99

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Strobe posted:

The list I'm waiting for once Chimps hit is the Z swarm, augmented.

Lieutenant Blount (17) [19]
XX-23 S-thread Tracers (1)
Veteran Instincts (1)

Concussion Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)

Concussion Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)

Concussion Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)

Concussion Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)

Concussion Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)

Total: 99

Yeah, I posted something about that list when chimps first announced. It's scary. This list is going to just MELT anything that jousts it.

The trick is going to be to be out of target lock range when the bandits move, and then kill Blount before he gets the tracers off.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That's why VI is in there. Without really stacking the box on PS and raw offense it's really difficult to reliably shoot down Blount before he fires his thread tracers at PS 8.

I sorta doubt my XXX list would have trouble, but anything that doesn't have multiple PS9+ shooting with good offense is going to be hosed for at least one round.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Guts and bolts the first person plural is really creepy

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'm going to another store championship tomorrow (at Games HQ in Oklahoma City) with some buddies. I'm torn between two lists.

Soontir, O'Leader, Yorr Doomshuttle, Academy Pilot
https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...ip%20Antistress

Pros:
-I have a lot of experience with this build (25-30 games).
-Eats rebel stress lists for lunch.
-High first pass damage.
-Two very strong closers.
-Soontir is invincible, until he explodes.

Cons:
-Doomshuttles always die.
-Lack of mid-game damage. If the first pass isn't decisive, the game draws out for a very long time.
-Soontir is invincible, until he explodes.

Strongest Matchup: Poe + Stresshog (and variants)
Weakest Matchup: Brobots

Vader, O'Leader, Wampa, OGP Palpmobile
https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...r%27s%20Raiders

Pros:
-Confusing target priority; enemy players rarely know what to target first, and frankly, there's no good answer for many lists.
-Wampa draws a hilarious amount of aggro. Yes, please, chase 14 points around the board.
-Consistent and high damage throughout the game
-Palpatine

Cons:
-Weak to turrets
-Stresshogs are going to take someone out of the fight for a round or two, unless I get lucky.
-Not as many games under my belt (about 5)

Strongest Matchup: Imperial Aces
Weakest Matchup: 4x TLTs

What do you guys think?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

General Battuta posted:

Guts and bolts the first person plural is really creepy

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Habit. I've been told that in past - not creepy, but weird - but it's mostly because I type fairly quickly and type much in the same way that I talk. I notice it after the fact that I include unnatural stops and "like," complete with commas, for no discernible reason. Not very concise.

A lot of it is also that I tend to say things like "We did it, boys," or "We got there" just as a nonsense aphorism, especially in sports or competitive games. If it really bothers you I can watch out for it, but I can't make promises that it'll ever stop completely.

Edit - alt answer: I am a collective consciousness composed of nanites that exists to mimic human speech patterns and promote the use of Omega Leader, or possibly an unsophisticated alien hivemind that also exists to promote the use of Omega Leader, or I am a colony of bugs that answer to a King Bug which exists to promote the use of Omega Leader

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 21, 2016

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I was actually discussing my list and a way to make it survive longer against people that understood the 'shoot Ten Numb first' principle:

BIGGS AND TEN HITTING THE BARS
Biggs is the perfect wingman

100 points

PILOTS

Ten Numb (36)
B-Wing (31), “Mangler” Cannon (4), Veteran Instincts (1)

Bandit Squadron Pilot (12)

Biggs Darklighter (27)
X-Wing (25), R7 Astromech (2), Integrated Astromech (0)

Gold Squadron Pilot (25)
Y-Wing (18), R3-A2 (2), Ion Cannon Turret (5)

R7 astromech Biggs instead of the Blue Squadron B. Less stress handling, more survival for Ten? Thoughts?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Went 2-2 with Colzet/Wampa/Palpy/Omega Ace. It was a fun list to play.

The overall winner (Guy announced before the 4th swiss that that was going to be it because the store was closing, so it was just off of swiss rounds) ran a similar thing, only instead of OL, Palpy was on Expose RAC.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Tekopo posted:

I was actually discussing my list and a way to make it survive longer against people that understood the 'shoot Ten Numb first' principle:

BIGGS AND TEN HITTING THE BARS
Biggs is the perfect wingman

100 points

PILOTS

Ten Numb (36)
B-Wing (31), “Mangler” Cannon (4), Veteran Instincts (1)

Bandit Squadron Pilot (12)

Biggs Darklighter (27)
X-Wing (25), R7 Astromech (2), Integrated Astromech (0)

Gold Squadron Pilot (25)
Y-Wing (18), R3-A2 (2), Ion Cannon Turret (5)

R7 astromech Biggs instead of the Blue Squadron B. Less stress handling, more survival for Ten? Thoughts?

Drop R7 in favor of R4-D6. Take the Gold Sq up to twin laser turret.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
For sure. R4-D6 tells HLCs to gently caress off, and even gets around Omega Leader (assuming OL is at range 1) by occurring after the modify results step.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So someone posts some sweet tie advances done in a basic sky-earth style on the fb group. Looks visually striking, and I'll probably use it as a base for when I repaint my advances

And the first reply is from someone mentioning some cross-sections book about incorrect painting placement of the engines. Then proceeds to provide diagrams and several pictures for where they are correctly located. :wtc:

e: don't read the EU, kids

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 21, 2016

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Make sure to loudly tell them that the EU is non-canon any time they mention something like that

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Improbable Lobster posted:

Make sure to loudly tell them that the EU is non-canon any time they mention something like that

Eh, the FFG stuff draws heavily from Legends anyway.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

jivjov posted:

Eh, the FFG stuff draws heavily from Legends anyway.

Sorry, but that's non-canon

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

guts and bolts posted:

- Can't wait for Ezra. Poe/Ezra/stresshog should wipe pure-TLT lists off the face of the Earth. That is literally a 9:1 favoring PEG (Peggy? Peggy Hill is this list nickname now? I don't know) if I had to guess it. TLTs cannot kill Ezra, and basically can't kill Poe.

How would you build Ezra in this list? If my math is right, without TLTs have ~40% chance of killing him in 4 attacks, ~80% in 6 attacks, and ~95% in 8 attacks. That makes him roughly as survivable under TLT fire as a Y-wing, albeit with greater variance in the number of shots to take him down (Y-wing is ~8%, ~80%, and ~99% for 4, 6, and 8 TLT attacks). Even with an evade each turn, he'll still go down fast if more than one TLT is shooting at him. Lacking the autothruster/focus one-two punch means he's nowhere near as survivable as poe, even without Poe's regen. AT/Focus Poe rolls 2 evades 80% of the time, while Ezra only rolls 2 40% of the time. And 2 is really the magic number against TLT spam: 75% of TLT shots against one evade will go through, but only 12% against two!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 21, 2016

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Stickman posted:

How would you build Ezra in this list? If my math is right, without TLTs have ~40% chance of killing him in 4 attacks, ~80% in 6 attacks, and ~95% in 8 attacks. That makes him roughly as survivable under TLT fire as a Y-wing, albeit with greater variance in the number of shots to take him down (Y-wing is ~8%, ~80%, and ~99% for 4, 6, and 8 TLT attacks). Even with an evade each turn, he'll still go down fast if more than one TLT is shooting at him. Lacking the autothruster/focus one-two punch means he's nowhere near as survivable as poe, even without Poe's regen. AT/Focus Poe rolls 2 evades 80% of the time, while Ezra only rolls 2 40% of the time. And 2 is really the magic number against TLT spam: 75% of TLT shots against one evade will go through, but only 12% against two!

quote:

Ezra Bridger (36)
Attack Shuttle (20)
Push The Limit (3)
Chewbacca (4)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Hull Upgrade (3)

Evade actions, stress for eyeball rolls, Focus to attack or a BRoll so you're not getting shot by eighteen thousand things, Ezra also has 7EHP. If you lose to massed TLTs as Poe/Ezra/stuff, you probably made a serious error.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Chill la Chill posted:

So someone posts some sweet tie advances done in a basic sky-earth style on the fb group. Looks visually striking, and I'll probably use it as a base for when I repaint my advances

And the first reply is from someone mentioning some cross-sections book about incorrect painting placement of the engines. Then proceeds to provide diagrams and several pictures for where they are correctly located. :wtc:

e: don't read the EU, kids

So wait where are they?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

IDK, it looks really good where they are in that pic. Then again I've gotten into dumb arguments with other nerds before when I say the tie has a giant freaking engine on it and they say "well actually it's a window and the engines are the two red dots because tie actually stands for- faaaaart"

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So wait where are they?

I'm sad that I know this but I'm pretty sure it's two sets of two, on the cockpit sphere, one pair each above and below the flat part of the hull.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

guts and bolts posted:

quote:

Ezra Bridger (36)
Attack Shuttle (20)
Push The Limit (3)
Chewbacca (4)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Hull Upgrade (3)

Evade actions, stress for eyeball rolls, Focus to attack or a BRoll so you're not getting shot by eighteen thousand things, Ezra also has 7EHP. If you lose to massed TLTs as Poe/Ezra/stuff, you probably made a serious error.

Thanks, that would do it! That pushes him to 2-4 rounds of focus fire from 3-4 TLTs. Definitely seems more survivable against TLTs than anything else you could put in those points besides AA or ZZZ, which would suffer from attrition. Maybe spice runners will finally have their day in the sun (hopefully not)?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sorry, but that's non-canon

Yes? That's what the Legends stuff is?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

jivjov posted:

Yes? That's what the Legends stuff is?

Yes, it isn't canon.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Yes, it isn't canon.

Correct. Disney has its own new Canon now (some of which FFG has already started using)

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

jivjov posted:

Correct. Disney has its own new Canon now (some of which FFG has already started using)

:thejoke:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Was there even a joke at all? FFG draws heavily from both Legends and Canon, so saying "that's not canon!" doesn't really mean a whole lot.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

jivjov posted:

Was there even a joke at all? FFG draws heavily from both Legends and Canon, so saying "that's not canon!" doesn't really mean a whole lot.

Jesus, the point is some dude on Facebook sperging out about "That's not where the engines are!" on someone's painted TIE fighter isn't just insufferable, he's wrong to boot.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
What do you guys use to paint the ships? Do you primer them up and then start from there, or just paint over the existing paint job? I'd like to paint some stylized numbers on my ships, notably TIEs, to distinct them from others.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
A lot of people just paint straight over the top without any problem.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

Jeeze dude

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

3rd place today. Other guys shuttle and Soontir rolled flawless dice for like 3 straight rounds and I couldnt catch up after that. Oh well the coins pretty cool.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I just started listening to the S&V podcast after it was mentioned in this thread. Decided to start from the very beginning which is right before Wave 4 hit, because why not. It's actually quite interesting to hear them discuss the ancient meta of times way before mine. Weird stuff like Imperial Firespray being considered one of the best ships, Soontir Fel being a rarity ("This one guy at my store plays him and always whoops my rear end"), complaints about Advanced Sensors being super powerful, Worlds quality lists consisting of 2x Firesprays and 1x Lambda. Also them talking about W4 previews and thinking the Defender is going to be better than the Phantom :allears:, it's great.

Highly recommended if you're a newish player like me and need some listening fodder.

Irom posted:

Jeeze dude

That's jivjov, don't bother arguing with him.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

if you need listening fodder listen to something cool like Reveal, Criminal, or Hardcore History.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

alg posted:

if you need listening fodder listen to something cool like Reveal, Criminal, or Hardcore History.

This may seem like a troll post but it is not, he is correct.

There are no X-Wing podcasts that are really edifying based on the ones I've tried to listen to, and even as someone who plays this at least twice a week when I get the chance: Listen to Dan Carlin talk about the Ostfront or the Munster Anabaptist Rebellion instead. We all love this game but give your ears a break from reedy-voiced dorks telling you what you already know about it.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 21, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

An entertaining x-wing podcast would probably be similar to the old GBS EU thread. Just like magic and most tabletops, talking about the game isn't exactly fun to listen to. But talk about crazy lightsaber knees guy and imagining him in every day life or the fun antics of Jorruuuuus Cbath the 37th clone and what happened to the 36 other clones would be p entertaining and something I could paint to.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

An entertaining x-wing podcast would probably be similar to the old GBS EU thread. Just like magic and most tabletops, talking about the game isn't exactly fun to listen to. But talk about crazy lightsaber knees guy and imagining him in every day life or the fun antics of Jorruuuuus Cbath the 37th clone and what happened to the 36 other clones would be p entertaining and something I could paint to.

Yeah, I would really dig a podcast version of the "let us read you terrible star wars books" thread.

Call it I'm so tired of these star wars!

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVzc20Bm8Xo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
The S&V not being in on Soontir by wave 4 speaks volumes fit how terrible they are. Soontir was a powerhouse from wave 2 all the way to now.

• Locked thread