Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Travis343 posted:

Every costume on that page is pretty bad, except for Nightcrawler's 70s look.

It's kind of amazing to me how good Nightcrawler's costume is, because if you described it's elements in isolation it would sound pretty bad, but the whole thing really pulls together with the character to be a really solid costume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I like Jean's costume since it's sort of a combination of her Marvel Girl and X-Factor uniforms.

The yellow part of the pants needs to go, though. Just make that all green and that'll work better.

The idea is to probably invoke the thigh-high boots of Marvel Girl, but it just doesn't work.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Jean Grey's costuming has always been hot garbage, except when she goes Phoenix.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

9, 13, and 15 are pretty good.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-Factor costumes were great!

I also liked 13 from that list.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

WickedHate posted:

9, 13, and 15 are pretty good.

Codependent Poster posted:

X-Factor costumes were great!

I also liked 13 from that list.

13, really? Maybe I'm from Goofy Town, because that thing looks super bad to me. The central torso bit with the expanded Phoenix bird w/ arm cuffs works well enough, but the legs are busy and full of incompatible design elements (the Colossus/Cable armor-lines, the kneepads, the Batfam boots with for no good reason the repeated slats designfrom the knees), not to mention the arms looking silly with the BARE GUNS + wraps + dainty gloves.

And a Gambit headsock is always the wrong choice. Come on.

7 (the X-Factor costume) looks like a hazmat suit, which I guess could work in context. 9 looks boring to me, but not actively bad. De gustibus, etc. for that. 15 is fine enough but storyline-bound, and would not in fact be fine outside of that sort of storyline.

Personally, I love the Morrisonwear, but freely admit it's not great in terms of superhero suits. 2 has the beginnings of charm, but needs a round of de-blanding. 11 has a lot of elements that work, but only if that headsock changes to a tiara.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I always thought her classic look (3) was good, albeit really dated and not a terribly good superheroing costume. So, uh, not good, I guess? 9 is probably her best non-Phoenix look, though. I like 11, too, though it's a blander version of 9.

EDIT: I'm with Squizzle on 13. There's some weird elements I can point out (bladed boots? Is she Batman?) that are bad, but some things I can't quite put my finger on that I don't like.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 21, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It looks 90s in the best way possible, imo. Nice and badass without any excessive bullshit.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Eh I have a soft spot for 90s Jim Lee Jean in her weird yellow bodysuit. She's such a weird character. Such an important part of the X-Men yet she's never gotten on an iconic codename or costume except for the one with all that planet-eating baggage.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
9 was always my favorite of Jean's costumes. I liked it when the X-Factor Five all had similar shiny costumes with the X-motif, but in different colors.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nobuhiro Watsuki disagrees about the headsock seeing as he specifically took it from Gambit for one of his villains in Rouroni Kenshin. He did that with a lot of one off or minor villains. borrowing Marvel designs.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

muscles like this? posted:

Nobuhiro Watsuki disagrees about the headsock seeing as he specifically took it from Gambit for one of his villains in Rouroni Kenshin. He did that with a lot of one off or minor villains. borrowing Marvel designs.

Dude was a huge Marvel fan. It was pretty blatant in some cases but it worked well;

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you're trying to use anime to claim headsocks aren't dumb, I don't know what to tell you.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm just saying there are fans of headsocks. I don't have an opinion one way or another.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WickedHate posted:

It looks 90s in the best way possible, imo. Nice and badass without any excessive bullshit.

He just listed like 5 things that are excessive.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

Okay? Sorry I disagree with the objectively correct fashion experts in this thread.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The White Phoenix costume is my favorite Jean look ever, too bad it only really works in the context of that one story.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Aphrodite posted:

Plus the 90s is excess defined. So none of that statement makes much sense.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

An unconventional costume I liked was Breach.

A lot of stuff about Breach was cool, too bad nobody read his comic.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Standing up for 12 and 3 here.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

8 is really the only one I hate.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I've kind of got a soft spot for the New X-Men costume (14).

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I don't know if Jean Grey Costume #11 is legitimately a good costume, or if the drawing on the site just has a little more character to it. I think the classic blue and yellow work better on her and Cyclops than on any of the other original five because they both get a nice pop of red to go with it-- her hair, his glasses. I also like the shoulder pads, and you know what, I think I'm actually a big fan of the full-body X-motif in general, even though I think I first recall noticing it in some really goofy Alex Ross redesigns years ago.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

13 is too busy in the actual detailing but the picture is kinda small and and the colours mesh together enough for you to enjoy the silhouette it has, which is a really nice one. It looks very strong, lots of big blocky shapes. I like the shoes (the heels are unnecessary, though). I like the headsock on her in most of the outfits, too - I think it's kind of a pointless design element on a lot of characters but she's a psychic so it's a nice way to kind of focus the design around her head and face to build up that association with doing mind poo poo, without making it into a mask (which just reads "I don't want people to know who I am").

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
As a kid I thought the crystal forehead thing on Jeans Jim Lee costume was integral to her power (did it serve any purpose?)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Knives Amilli posted:

As a kid I thought the crystal forehead thing on Jeans Jim Lee costume was integral to her power (did it serve any purpose?)

I'm pretty sure the cartoon and some of the comics made it glow like crazy whenever she used 'em, so it's understandable.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Speaking as a headsock-wearing* mento-beam sprayer, I can tell you that, yes, bedazzling your headsock with strong crystals is very real and very powerful.

*my eternal shame, revealed at last

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Squizzle posted:

Speaking as a headsock-wearing* mento-beam sprayer, I can tell you that, yes, bedazzling your headsock with strong crystals is very real and very powerful.

*my eternal shame, revealed at last

Does your headsock have a hole for your two-foot long ponytail?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

That always threw me when they drew Gambit outside of his headsock, he suddenly had a huge ponytail that I guess he just matted down to the back of his neck when he had the headsock on.

That headsock has got to stink like a motherfucker.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Does your headsock have a hole for your two-foot long ponytail?

Please, I'm rocking :goku: hair.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
So it is like Gambit's.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Gambit cross Legion, I guess.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Also, as long as we're doing a career-long survey of someone's superfashion choices, I am all in for 3 here.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
It reminds me of Zardoz. :allears:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Those are pretty much all good except 4 and 9.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I love Scott's X-face outfit. Nobody shook up his visor design since 1963! How does that happen?

It's one of those designs that looks amazing when the artist who designs it draws it, but the wrong artist can mangle horribly, though.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Travis343 posted:

I love Scott's X-face outfit. Nobody shook up his visor design since 1963! How does that happen?

1) Because his name is Cyclops, that really limits his options in the eyewear area

2) The X visor looks hideous

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I unironically love the X visor

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I think all of the Bachalo Uncanny X Men costumes are extremely good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

History will judge harshly those who dislike the X-face Killah look.

• Locked thread