Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Nate RFB posted:

Well I strongly recommend you figure out how to kill Golden Hands, then. Every single one of them tends to have a "trick" that will let you kill them in some sort of reasonably reliable manner. For my own part I don't think I do anything particularly different from you're doing other than killing those hands. Sometimes on a rainy day I'd go back into the dungeon to do quests or something (and get some of those rain-only items) but that can only account for so much.

Looks like I'm about to do a couple hand jobs tonight.

:omarcomin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Persona 4 help!:

Any tips how to beat Nanako's kidnapper in the heaven dungeon{/spoiler]? The boss always gets me by having one of his magic attacks randomly does like 533HP damage or something. My people are all leveled at in the 40s, except [spoiler]Naoto who is at level 54 or something.

Get a persona with Makarakarn. If you have Magic Mirrors, use them on your party members. Enjoy the results.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

So I'm thinking of picking up SMTIV but the reviews I've read say the overworld map is horrible. Is it really that bad or do you get used to it? I ask because I have a pretty bad sense of direction/navigation.

strange feelings re Daisy fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 21, 2016

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
The overworld is really easy to get lost in, but if you keep an FAQ nearby just to quickly look at where your next objective is, it's not a big deal. Definitely worth playing, I just finished it this week and thoroughly enjoyed it. The overworld is hardly worth avoiding the game over.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Thuryl posted:

Get a persona with Makarakarn.

Haven't seen one yet but will do.

Doctor Meat posted:

So I'm thinking of picking up SMTIV but the reviews I've read say the overworld map is horrible. Is it really that bad or do you get used to it? I ask because I have a pretty bad sense of direction/navigation.

The overworld isn't bad per say, there is just not really a big map telling you were everything is.

The game will often do something like say "Go to Ginza" and you won't remember where the route to Ginza is and you can't open up a large map that shows you were it is.

It's a very damning design decision.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 21, 2016

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Also, in SMTIV battles in areas below your level are over in seconds, so even if you're lost, random encounters won't be a major pain.

Most of those seconds for me was the (admittedly short) animation of Megidola. :v:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Pork Pie Hat posted:

In a recent interview Atlus CEO Naoto Hiroka said

So it is DEFINITELY HAPPENING. probably.

http://gematsu.com/2016/01/atlus-ceo-teases-unannounced-titles-year-where-atlus-popular-series-all-gather-together

Persona 4 was released just before Obama was inaugurated
Persona 5 will not be released in English probably until his replacement has been announced

Obama has a personal vendetta against Persona games

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Aithon posted:

Also, in SMTIV battles in areas below your level are over in seconds, so even if you're lost, random encounters won't be a major pain.

Most of those seconds for me was the (admittedly short) animation of Megidola. :v:

On the overworld you can use Estoma Sword and it will actually avoid battles. It still doesn't change that the map is really terrible though, and there are all sorts of paths you think are open that have a tiny impassable wall or something you couldn't see. I was on a 12 hour flight once (no internet) and was lost on the world map and I couldn't look up where to go and it was the most frustrating thing, I spent a good hour wandering around.

Also I have been to Tokyo twice and it still makes no sense in SMT4

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Persona 4 Golden:
Hold up! Hold up! So my character beat the boss battle and proceeded to have a huge last story filled segment where Nanako became sick and eventually died. I then had the choice to throw the guy in the TV or not. I decided to throw him inside. So now the game skips all the rest of winter and everything else and the game ends. Like did I mess up by throwing the guy in the TV or is the game suppose to end this abruptly?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I dunno why SMT is so in love with Tokyo for the main series anyway

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

I dunno why SMT is so in love with Tokyo for the main series anyway

You might as well ask why American stuff is so in love with New York City.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

punk rebel ecks posted:

Persona 4 Golden:
Hold up! Hold up! So my character beat the boss battle and proceeded to have a huge last story filled segment where Nanako became sick and eventually died. I then had the choice to throw the guy in the TV or not. I decided to throw him inside. So now the game skips all the rest of winter and everything else and the game ends. Like did I mess up by throwing the guy in the TV or is the game suppose to end this abruptly?

You done hosed up son.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Persona 4 Golden:

Killing a dude is pretty messed up son

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Wait so I did not kill him and I got another abrupt ending. Is this really how this game ends?

Terper posted:

Killing a dude is pretty messed up son

I would have done worse things to him than throw him in a TV.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

punk rebel ecks posted:

Wait so I did not kill him and I got another abrupt ending. Is this really how this game ends?

I would have burn him alive in real life.

There's a specific 6 choice dialogue chain you have to go through.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
You must use your powers of conversation to deftly weave through the annals of angry Yosuke's brain.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

I would have done worse things to him then throw him in a TV.

You gotta reach out to the truth

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

There's a specific 6 choice dialogue chain you have to go through.

...Why?

I mean this is just asking casual players to not finish the game.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

So is this the part where I have to explain who Yosuke Hanamura is, or...

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Refer to my previous post

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You have to realize there is more to the story than what you're getting and convince the others of that.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The main theme of the game is Truth and by killing the guy you have given in to your emotions instead of rationally thinking through what really happened

It's like the difference between lynching a guy who is accused of murder instead of actually looking at the evidence in a court of law sort of thing

Giving in to your dark emotions is what seperates Shadows from People and you acted like a Shadow

(The game doesn't explain this that well)

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

You have to realize there is more to the story than what you're getting and convince the others of that.

Oh so just the Yosuke conversation?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Yosuke's hard pissed! Insanely mad!! He's got a taste for blood!!!

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I have no idea how you could ever fail that conversation to be h

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Iirc the last thing you need to say is a bit of a trick but yeah all you have to do is calm them down

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
might be bad at vidyagames

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

alcharagia posted:

So is this the part where I have to explain who Yosuke Hanamura is, or...

Hey man, Kanji and Naoto are also on team murder. They're just quieter about it.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
isn't the string of answers you have to give yosuke to get the not lovely not true ending like really obvious? Like the two options you don't wanna pick are basically "hey you know whats cool loving killing people lets do it" and the third is like "I think this man who is clearly delusional and doesn't actually know whats on the other side of the TV doesn't actually know that throwing people in there kills them and has been lead to believe he's helping them maybe we should figure out who hes been talking to???????"

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's basically like the P3 bad end, where you literally just pick "no, let's not murder this man" for every single choice. :v:

It's pretty much 100% normal to want to kill the dude after what happens to Nanako, though, that's kind of the point.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I wouldn't call them super obvious, especially the last one I think, but it should at least be obvious that something was wrong and you should try again.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
I like that conversation because it lets you top off all those "Calm down" answers throughout the game with a "Calm the hell down!".

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I ended up getting passed it.

It was a bit tricky as the game requires you to say the same thing twice after he asks something in the ballpark of "do you even know what you are talking about?"

Anyway I beat the previous boss by only leveling up my characters a level or so and using magic reflect. Once you use magic reflect the boss keeps using other attacks other than magic attacks most of the time.

Luna Was Here posted:

isn't the string of answers you have to give yosuke to get the not lovely not true ending like really obvious? Like the two options you don't wanna pick are basically "hey you know whats cool loving killing people lets do it" and the third is like "I think this man who is clearly delusional and doesn't actually know whats on the other side of the TV doesn't actually know that throwing people in there kills them and has been lead to believe he's helping them maybe we should figure out who hes been talking to???????"

No.

Nate RFB posted:

I wouldn't call them super obvious, especially the last one I think, but it should at least be obvious that something was wrong and you should try again.

True. It sucks that the game gives you the option of saving clear data. I mean I could imagine a newbie doing that and thinking the game is over.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 21, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

punk rebel ecks posted:

I ended up getting passed it.

It was a bit tricky as the game requires you to say the same thing twice after he asks something in the ballpark of "do you even know what you are talking about?"

Anyway I beat the previous boss by only leveling up my characters a level or so and using magic reflect. Once you use magic reflect the boss keeps using other attacks other than magic attacks most of the time.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Looks like I'm about to do a couple hand jobs tonight.

:omarcomin:

I've decided that you're cool.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!
That scene is pretty opaque, but once you know that there are six right answers with no free choices, it's not especially hard to pick them out.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it's easy to clear if you know you're being tested but i could imagine someone getting tripped up after dialogue choices mainly affecting small things for the entire rest of the game. It's hard to really comment on it objectively because i knew the deal beforehand

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
That bit tripped me up because you the answers where you actually offer explanations are wrong, you just have to calm everyone down and say we don't know everything yet.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

guy trying to get the true end do not read: Nanako coming back was kind of bullshit.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I hosed up the dialogue even knowing I was trying to avoid the game ending there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
http://www.christiantoday.com/article/persona.5.release.date.game.expected.to.come.out.in.summer/79820.htm

lol at the site name