Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Clairetic posted:

I managed to make a character on Excalibur with some help but it was a meh appearance and I picked a stupid name... I kept trying for half an hour but it seems if I want to play with goons I will have to stick with this.

After your first month of subscription you'll get a fantasia potion which lets you completely remake your character appearance, so don't sweat that too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.

Nipponophile posted:

After your first month of subscription you'll get a fantasia potion which lets you completely remake your character appearance, so don't sweat that too much.

Including change from a boring human to a mi'qutie?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yes, changing your race is easy.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

A fantasia will drop you straight into the character creator again, basically. You can also buy a namechange, though I don't know how much it costs.

Burger McAngus
May 24, 2010

vOv posted:

A fantasia will drop you straight into the character creator again, basically. You can also buy a namechange, though I don't know how much it costs.

Name change costs $10.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.
Oh good. And the name change is cheaper than a character transfer at least.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I imagine that if FFXIV gets a second expansion we could see a MNK AoE that requires a full stack of Chakra to burn.

Also please don't use Arm of the Destroyer, it's almost as bad as One-Ilm Punch. I mean maybe if you have a Spire/Turret Promotion up, but even then it's TP/damage ratio is really bad.

My monk salvaged an A3S by one ilm punching the sprint off of a piston.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

MohShuvuu posted:

My monk salvaged an A3S by one ilm punching the sprint off of a piston.
pretty soon you might need a second hand to count the total number of situations to use this skill in

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Obligatory

I'm free from beastman dailies for a week. :toot:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I'm surprised how fast they're increasing the iLevels now. With 2.5, i130 was the top average. Now, with 3.2, the top average will be ~i230. Granted, it'll take a little bit of time for everyone to average out, but that was true for 2.5.

Eh, just a number in the end, but I think it's interesting.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
They're probably trying to mete out ilvls so that the starting ilvl for 4.0 is somewhere around or just over i300

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I got all the commendations as a MNK in a DF Aery group.

That is highly confusing. I don't even remember doing anything special, other than getting a 2k crit with Forbidden Chakra and finishing the boss off with Bladedance?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Could've been 3 partied friends and they had nobody else to give the commends to

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I'm a level 42 white Mage about to fight Titan in the main story quest, I don't have heavensward yet and really conflicted on my priorities. I started the game playing with friends and there a bit ahead of m. iM trying to decide if I should focus on the main story quests or leveling up other classes .

Also I saw improvements to the group pose command in the patch notes. cAn someone explain what that is and how to control it?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
It's a group selfie button! You use the /gpose command and you get placed into a "special" selfie mode where everyone in your party faces the camera and repeats the last emote they did at the same time. It's for taking group screenshots. As I recall it also automatically hides the UI.

The enhancements in the next patch will let you hit various hotkeys to change the camera's focus and make pets look at the camera, but for now, it's just for getting group shots where everyone is doing an emote in sync.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I'm a level 42 white Mage about to fight Titan in the main story quest, I don't have heavensward yet and really conflicted on my priorities. I started the game playing with friends and there a bit ahead of m. iM trying to decide if I should focus on the main story quests or leveling up other classes .

Leveling alts is quite fast with the armory bonus. If you're concerned about viability in content, you can level WHM all the way to 50 or 60 with zero cross class skills (though at 60 it's best to pick up Swiftcast, Surecast, and Eye for an Eye).

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Sounds good, I'll speed through the story stuff then. i don't plan on buying heavensward in next month so I'll have plenty of time to level up the gather and hand classes

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
There's a group selfie button?! Why haven't I been doing this at the end of every dungeon?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I'm sure everyone's going to pose after an exhausting 15 minutes working on the world 678600915th Sastasha clear.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
They actually probably would.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
"This time it's canon!"

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
As great as FFXIV is, it fails to capture the "wonder" or "exploration factor" that FFXI had. There is an emotional feeling attached to getting through a dangerous labyrinthine cave/dungeon/tunnel only to arrive in a vast/beautiful zone, and eventually stumble upon a hidden outpost or village. FFXI pulled it off multiple times with Rabao, Tavnazian Safehold, and Norg.

FFXIV is not FFXI though. You can reach any area in the game in minutes (or less) via ports and mounts. There is no real danger in the world. And aside from the story (which was great), you never feel like you are on a legit adventure.

So why not create an optional zone in 4.0?
Make it lore-heavy, with optional daily side quests
an optional questline
and a number of beautiful sightseeing opportunities (places to RP)

For example:
15min ship ride to an island
Told that the ship has no room for mounts (justifies lack of mount use in the upcoming zones)
Chance of sea serpent / leviathan attack on the way
Can fish on the ride
Can play Triple Triad on the ride

Once you arrive at the island there's a small outpost with some hidden spots (like a small cave along the beach with a grotto) for RPers

Then you have an entire rainforest zone, with twisting hallway-esque pathways, tunnels, pathways up into the trees, etc. Lot's of super pretty hidden spots for RPers.
But the mobs are actually dangerous, block paths, and have slow/bind moves (so people can't just run through everything). You can solo them but it takes time.

Multiple caves that seemingly lead to nowhere, or have monsters in them, etc (kind of like the old 1.0 zones)

One cave that leads to a hidden beach and pathway through mountainous terrain

And then a village at one part of the pathway, with a lot of lore, lots of rp spots, and lots of hidden stuff

OR another example:
A mysterious train service is set up from an abandoned imperial outpost (using their rail system)
You take a 15 min train ride where ghosts spawn and attack
Chance for a special boss spawning
Can play triple triad with some ghosts
Lots of lore about the mystery of the train

You finally arrive in a wide open rocky valley between mountains, no trees so beautiful view of the sky. Small mountains and hills that can be climbed, or have caves. Huge mobs that take 5 or 6 people to defeat (not necessarily high damage, but tons of hp or defense).
Some beautiful weather effects.
Dangerous ghosts and demons that only appear at night

A beautiful temple carved into the side of a mountain wall, with a makeshift town inside it (e.g. Ala Mhigans who escaped the empire)
And night-time fates where the city is assaulted by demons/ghosts/skeletons

An intricate emotional adult story about death and war, with a death-like open world primal (because we were all looking forward to open world primals)

etc.

TLDR; 4.0 should have an old-school MMO-esque zone, that you can't port to, that you can't use mounts in, that has dangerous mobs, and that is -unique-. Something that violates the cookie-cutter design of the rest of ffxiv. It should feel like an adventure, be designed with RPers in mind, and be purely optional

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
The problem with this post is that you're known for actually posting stupid things so it's much harder to tell if it's you or an unquoted OF post.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
that dude sure wants the game designers to give him places to write about catgirls loving

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

He should just join one of those erp free companies on Balmung, I'm sure they have plenty of room in their houses to write about catgirl loving.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the panoramas aren't immersive enough stop trying to loving railroad his process

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
The part of that post that I'm most amused by is his fixation on requiring 15 minutes of sitting in a box every time before you're allowed into his RPer's paradise

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

What, the beach in Mist isn't nice enough? Talk about your high loving standards.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The Chairman posted:

The part of that post that I'm most amused by is his fixation on requiring 15 minutes of sitting in a box every time before you're allowed into his RPer's paradise

It's FFXI nostalgia, through and through.

Edit: in fact he is 100% just describing an area in 11, the Elshimo Lowlands, at least in his first example.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 21, 2016

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Kwyndig posted:

It's FFXI nostalgia, through and through.

Which is weird because I don't remember RP being much of a thing at all in FFXI precisely because of how much of a pain it was to do anything or travel anywhere; anyone who was just into it for dress-up and typefucking quickly moved to WoW instead

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
XI is a poo poo game. As a former XI player from CoP to WotG, I freely admit to this. Anyone who tries to make XIV into XI will have my undying hatred.

Nostalgia is nostalgia because you filtered out all the bad poo poo from your memories. There's a reason why Wildstar failed, and it wasn't because it's not hardcore (grognardy) enough.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

No one is nostalgic for FFXI. The technical term is Stockholme Syndrome. FFXI is an abusive spouse that, apparently, some people just can't stay away from.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I tried to play XI on at least three occasions and there is no god drat way anyone could ever convince me that anyone genuinely enjoyed it.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I understand where people are coming from re: FFXI I think, since I still have fond memories of Ragnarok Online, aka Anime Hat Simulator 2000. But also gently caress anyone who wants to make a modern game play more like RO. That game was horrible, grindy bullshit we just liked because there wasn't anything better.

It sure was pretty, though :shobon:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i beta'd RO and there was an issue with my install where i couldn;t change out of the 'novice' class

that's my RO experience

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I remember playing FFXI on 360 back when that was a thing and really liking it. The world has some great atmosphere and music.

When I got to around lvl 14 I remember running for 30 minutes straight to a desert area in order to level up, failing to get an exp party going and realizing I'd have to walk all the way back to my city for follow up quests.

I promptly quit playing that game because jfc

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I enjoyed the friendships I made in 11, and I enjoyed the story, and I enjoyed the worldbuilding. I also enjoyed dropping yovras on people.

The gameplay and the UI, uh, not so much. The gameplay was quite decent for when the game came out, and they've admittedly done some nice things in recent years to revamp it and make it less dumb and more accessible, at least until you get to the new high-end grinds. (Luckily, you can do 99% of the interesting story stuff solo within those restrictions! There are some fights you'll want to nab help for though.) But even so, it's kinda meh.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

hey who remembers ultima online

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

hey who remembers ultima online

No catgirls so the OF don't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I really liked the music in Ragnarok Online and I'd download the client years after I stopped playing just so I could get an updated version of the soundtrack to listen to.

• Locked thread