Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

ruffz posted:

Yeah I think the Grey Company outfit is the only thing worth a drat in that expansion. My Hunter and Burglar wore it for an extended period of time. Dunland is so dull that I'm sure plenty of people quit in the middle of it. So just skip it.

Dunland actually caused me to leave the game for months. I finally came back and grinded the rest of it out, and stayed with the game until cap (HD at the time). I quit then after a bit of the Hytbold grind which again burnt me out on the game. Came back for the first Gondor content pack, and eventually wandered back over and finished Hytbold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ruffz posted:

I'd stay in Moria for as long as you can take it. If you're level 50 heading in there, it'll get you to at least 63 if you do every quest. Then you can choose between Lothlorien, Enedwaith, Mirkwood, and starting Dunland early. I'd personally recommend leveling in Lothlorien and then Mirkwood until 70, then you can skip the boring parts of Dunland.

edit: I forgot that the Rise of Isengard content can be skipped entirely if you go to Great River from 70-75.

It can be worth doing the bare minimum if you want to run the epic for the story and a few cool cosmetics. But yeah Dunland sucks and I minimize my time there when possible. My Champion uses the Dr. Doom hood+mask that you get as a quest reward at some point there. It works well when combined with ragged clothing like the prisoner stuff.

Siddhartha Glutamate
Oct 3, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Thanks for the input fellas, I appreciate it. One quick question of LIs, should I buy up some trash/cheap LIs and level them just so I can deconstruct them? It kinda sounds like the general plan, but nothing I've read so far as explicitly told me to do that.

Also, I'm level 48 and I never finished all of the Misty Mountains/Goblin-Town Quests and was thinking about going back there to knock 'em out, only because I enjoyed them... But then the Goblin-Town stuff was getting super annoying as it constantly had me back tracking because those drat Elves were too dumb to LEAVE THEIR PRISON CELLS and, I dunno, maybe help me kill the Goblin King?

But part of me thinks I should just stick with Moria as it seems exciting.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Titus82 posted:

Thanks for the input fellas, I appreciate it. One quick question of LIs, should I buy up some trash/cheap LIs and level them just so I can deconstruct them? It kinda sounds like the general plan, but nothing I've read so far as explicitly told me to do that.
If the drop rate hasn't changed since I played, you'll pick up so many trash LIs while questing that you'll start to feel like deconstructing them all is a burden.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

xZAOx posted:

-Go to camp of Dunlendings
-"YOU'RE A DUVODIAD, WE DON'T TRUST YOU, SARUMAN IS A GOOD GUY. BTW SOME WEIRD THINGS ARE HAPPENING"
-You get them a bunch of bear asses, then they trust you
-"OH poo poo SARUMAN WAS BEHIND THE WEIRD THINGS, WE TRUST YOU NOW! YOU SHOULD GO TALK TO OUR NEIGHBOR CAMP"

Rinse and repeat like 10 times. Dunland over.

Fixed that for you.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Titus82 posted:

Also, I'm level 48 and I never finished all of the Misty Mountains/Goblin-Town Quests and was thinking about going back there to knock 'em out, only because I enjoyed them... But then the Goblin-Town stuff was getting super annoying as it constantly had me back tracking because those drat Elves were too dumb to LEAVE THEIR PRISON CELLS and, I dunno, maybe help me kill the Goblin King?

But part of me thinks I should just stick with Moria as it seems exciting.

As Arch said, for the most part you'll have plenty. You just adjust when you decon (1, 11, 21, etc) based on how many extras you have clogging your inventory. If you always wait until 60, you'll NEVER run out. Leveling up I always deconned at 31 for legacies. There were a few times where I bought extras off the AH when I ran low, but for the most part, you should be fine.

And MM / Goblin-Town was an awesome area, but yeah, the quests inside GT can get annoying. I went back later when I could run through the zone without aggro'ing everything and one-shot everything to finish them up. I'd suggest staying in Moria, and not leaving it until you've done all the things. The claustrophobia there is excellent :)

flowinprose posted:

Fixed that for you.

Ugggghhhhhh, I had blocked that from my memory :(

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Just in case you forgot, Druggavar and Cun Annun hunt at night.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Uch-Gwirod requires us to give welcome to duvodiad. :shepicide:

While Lotro has always been a bit repetitive with NPCs, I think Isengard is where it became noticeably terrible.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Uch-Gwirod requires us to give welcome to duvodiad. :shepicide:

While Lotro has always been a bit repetitive with NPCs, I think Isengard is where it became noticeably terrible.

Those lines seriously started to wear on my patience really quickly, to the point where I began hating Turbine and even hating the game a little over it. It was in Dunland that the game lost most of it's "Tolkienishness", having to spend such a huge amount of time dealing with a bunch of ox-worshipping stone age humans that were barely even mentioned in the loving books. Looking back at all the SoA content, you can recall running into little enclaves of Elves, Dwarves, and even the occasional Hobbit all over the place. Dunland had one tiny little Elven secret and then 10 hours worth of redundant cow people apart from that.

And don't even get me started on Isengard itself. They clearly designed all of the boring cow poo poo first, and then tacked on a crappy little Disney theme park minigolf version of Orthanc at the very end of it.

And just when you thought that the 2.5 years of "Duvodiad" poo poo was bad, it was near the end of RoI that we first hear that one voice actor do his Rohirrim lines(including mispronouncing the words "Rohirrim" and "Orthanc") which we had to endure for the next 3 years straight!

"What business have you with the horse lords?"
"Our mission is dire."
"What business have you with the Rohirreem?"
"Our mission is dire."
"Our mission is dire."

...I'm not bitter.

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Feb 21, 2016

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Whenever I'm playing LOTRO, my wife still asks me about the "Rohirrim" after hearing it so drat many times for so long.

Minas Tirith is just as bad. Especially when picking up the dailies - you can accept quests faster than he spews out his line, so you'll be in the daily instance and still have to hear 3 or 4 of those same drat lines.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

So I started playing again after taking a break for 2 years or something. I still like it but there's a lot of little things that annoy me that didn't before since I'm coming back from more modern MMOs. I transferred to Landroval, so could someone invite Gorga to the kin when they get a chance?

I left off in Wildermore, so I've been finishing that up since I didn't know what else to do. I'm now level 87, nearly 88, and I'm not really sure what I should do now that I've apparently finished all the quests available to me, save for Hytbold stuff. Do I need to buy the latest expansion? I don't really want to spend $40 right off the bat, but it looks like the newer quest zones are all level 95-100, so too high for me. Also, I'm already tired of Rohan even though I've only been back a few days. Does the expansion go on sale much? I might just play on one of my lower level characters and wait for a sale since $40 is kind of steep for me right now.

Edit: or you can invite Frodnar instead since I'll probably mostly be playing that.

wizardofloneliness fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 21, 2016

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I left off in Wildermore, so I've been finishing that up since I didn't know what else to do. I'm now level 87, nearly 88, and I'm not really sure what I should do now that I've apparently finished all the quests available to me, save for Hytbold stuff. Do I need to buy the latest expansion? I don't really want to spend $40 right off the bat, but it looks like the newer quest zones are all level 95-100, so too high for me. Also, I'm already tired of Rohan even though I've only been back a few days. Does the expansion go on sale much? I might just play on one of my lower level characters and wait for a sale since $40 is kind of steep for me right now.

Yeah, time to buy HD. It bridges 85-95, where the Gondor quest packs pick up.

Also, I hate the amount of loving crashes this game does now. A lot of it seems to be related to being in/near Minas Tirith. When you see me log off without saying anything and not returning, that's LOTRO crashing and me saying "gently caress it, time to do something else!"

Thespis
Mar 31, 2011

It feels like every time I go on and play I'm the only person online. :( It's already lonely enough in the Mines of Moria...

It's making me want to play less, sadly. What do we have to do to make the guild a little livelier?

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Thespis posted:

It feels like every time I go on and play I'm the only person online. :( It's already lonely enough in the Mines of Moria...

It's making me want to play less, sadly. What do we have to do to make the guild a little livelier?

It's hit or miss. Sometimes I'm the only one on, sometimes there are 3 other people on. Unfortunately there's not much that can be done to remedy the situation, considering the wide disparity between goon levels within the kinship and the times at which people are logging on. I log pretty weird times due to family and work/coaching obligations, and I know others have similar limitations.

My previous kinship had the same problem; activity gradually dwindled down over the course of Mirkwood and RoI. I ended up taking a hiatus after a while and when I came back a few years later there had only been one person on in the last month or so. I'd hate to see it happen to this kin, but it's really been anything but lively in terms of goon activity. I think everybody was hoping for some sort of Nazgun/LOTRO goon Renaissance when server transfers went down, but that didn't happen.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Cnidario posted:

It's hit or miss. Sometimes I'm the only one on, sometimes there are 3 other people on. Unfortunately there's not much that can be done to remedy the situation, considering the wide disparity between goon levels within the kinship and the times at which people are logging on. I log pretty weird times due to family and work/coaching obligations, and I know others have similar limitations.

My previous kinship had the same problem; activity gradually dwindled down over the course of Mirkwood and RoI. I ended up taking a hiatus after a while and when I came back a few years later there had only been one person on in the last month or so. I'd hate to see it happen to this kin, but it's really been anything but lively in terms of goon activity. I think everybody was hoping for some sort of Nazgun/LOTRO goon Renaissance when server transfers went down, but that didn't happen.

Yeah, we all thought it would happen, but it didn't, not really.

Best time was definitely when I joined - when The Hobbit came out and got everyone interested in it again.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
The first couple weeks after the merge were great, there were usually a half dozen of us on at once.

Thespis posted:

Post when you're usually on/could be on. I'd be happy to alter my schedule a bit to arrange goon groups.

I'm almost always on Saturdays. This weekend I forgot to check in with Blondii and spent the entire day running the Bingo quest line on a non-kin alt.

I sometimes do Friday nights and Sundays. I *could* do any weeknight between about 7pm and 10pm CST.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

It's weird, The Hobbit gave Lotro a surge of new/returning players in general and they jumped on it with the Erebor instances then... went back to their regularly planned stuff. Making a Northern Mirkwood or Anduin Vale/Carrock zone probably wouldn't have kept the crowds but it might've helped. At the end of the day Lotro's an aged MMO though and it really can't compare to others like FFXIV unless you really like Middle Earth.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

xZAOx posted:

When you see me log off without saying anything and not returning, that's LOTRO crashing and me saying "gently caress it, time to do something else!"

This is exactly how I play it too unless I'm in the middle of a quest.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Thespis posted:

What do we have to do to make the guild a little livelier?

Play a better game?

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

It's kind of a bummer that there are 100 levels in this game, yet it's very difficult for two players more than 6 or 7 levels apart to group up and both have a meaningful experience beyond one player dragging the lowbie through content. It's one way LotRO shows its age, as the newer generation of MMOs, especially Guild Wars 2, go pretty far in removing these barriers to people playing together.

I know I often see others online and am at a loss to think of ways we can all play together unless it's having them solo an instance for me so I can complete quests.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I think an optional scaling system would be a great addition to LOTRO, where you could choose to give your character an effective level matching the content you're wanting to do with a lower level friend. Mandatory scaling can be annoying because you'd go back to starter zones and aggro everything like you're a lowbie.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Nipponophile posted:

Play a better game?

This is the heart of the problem. The only reason to play Lotro is for a Tolkien fix. There's nothing else in the game that makes it worth playing over others aside from the setting.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Nipponophile posted:

Play a better game?

Most of the people who don't like LoTRO don't have the attention span for any pre-anime MMO, and are bad at the game. I notice, as the best player at the game, I seem to have more fun than the people that quit. In terms of end game content, it's all dry again if you're bored of Tier 2 Osgiliath. Oddly enough, all the complaints come from people who can't run Osgiliath successfully or smoothly.

Pelennor Fields should be soon, but only a dozen or so will probably make a comeback because they complained about the old content too much to reach the new content.

The other major goon problem that I try to be nice about and help people with is alt addiction. I must've sent out 100 care packages since the server mergers, 20 of them come back to me because people have 6 level 20s and stop logging into 4 of them. Just pick a class you might like and put in an hour a day until you're 100 and have a thousand cool memories of quests and locations, friends and raids, yes even old rear end easy ones.

Siddhartha Glutamate
Oct 3, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I am a sufferer of Alt-itus, it is a rare and life long condition. If you know somebody who suffers from Alt-itus, don't worry, it is not communicable from physical contact, it is not transmitted sexually, it is something you are born with. But there is good news, as it is highly manageable. First, one must admit that they have a problem, and learn the warning signs. For me the primary trigger for an Alt-itus outbreak is boredom, lack of direction, and a creeping sense of nihilism about The Grind.

At my worst I rolled Alts for every class in LOTRO save for Boerning (because I did not want to spend the TP for the character and a character slot.) Most of them are only level 6-10, but one is just shy of level 30, and they all have vocations that are trained to at least Expert.

But the cure* was discovering new content, such as being able to enter The Mines of Moria. I've been able to limit my game time on my alts to a low of two hours a week since I hit Moria. Which not to derail this very important special announcement, Moria is loving awesome. I was originally disappointed after having it built up, people talking about how huge it was, and when I looked at the map I thought "That's it?" But when you run around the place... It is so easy to get lost. And it has some dimensionality to it, which is great. Also the art style/design is wonderful, they manage to make each section look unique enough that I feel like I'm in a different place. Oh! And there is a gently caress ton of quests and levelling is faster and easier than it was for the 40-48 stint, which was nice as I was dreading the idea of how awful it would be when I get to level 70+.

But one complaint: Why is it that I help them get into Moria and instantly they are already setup? I was kinda hoping for some missions where I would have to raid one of the zones and claim it to open up the settlement of that area. Heck even if they had made Skirmishes for that, it would have been neat. Or an epic battle. Something. But then I haven't done any raids/instances so maybe those will fulfill that desire?

And Legendary Items are fun. I approve of them.

What was I talking about again? Eh, I forget. I think I'm gonna log onto my Captain...

*There is no cure. There will never be a cure. Even in single player games you will find yourself wanting to reroll and experience the game from the perspective of another class. This is why games like Baldur's Gate are still installed and/or handy for us. Because we cannot loving let go and move on.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Just a note, skirmishes and big battles weren't introduced until later expansions.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So looking at the imbuing thing after Blondii so kindly furnished me with a kickass FA bow, from what I understand the real goal is to fully max out your LI before the imbuing and then after that you literally don't have to do anything as it'll passively level itself. You can rush the leveling via scrolls but that's not necessary is it?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Maxing it out before imbuing just saves you some scrolls. It's also much cheaper to get the right legacies on it before imbuement. You'll still need more anfalas scrolls of empowerment to unlock all the tiers, and anfalas star lit crystals to unlock the dps stat. Or use mithril coins for both. Scrolls are easy and cheap, but you need a gently caress ton of them. I just used coins for the dps stat. I wouldn't use them for scrolls. Continue to level LIs and decon them for relics and exp runes.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Oh, also, one thing you seem confused about. You unlock the tier, then you level it. Just regular exp levels it, ixp runes level it, normal stuff. So you use scrolls to unlock tiers, normal stuff to actually level up those tiers so you get the bonus.

It sounds confusing, but once you're done imbuing, imbued LIs are a LOT simpler than old-style LIs.

Here's some good links again:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?567833-Imbued-Legendary-Items-Guide (EDIT: some of these costs are outdated. DPS tier is only 10 coins now, for example)
https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Legendary_Item_Imbuement_system
https://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/legendary-item-imbuement-dev-diary

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 28, 2016

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Basically: You have a ton of unlocking to do, loooads, before the 'just level it up with you' part is true. Luckily the barter cost for merit from epic battles has been reduced multiple times since I did my axe, it took maybe 1/3rd as much work now post-patch to do my rune.

Just either solo The Defense of Minas Tirith daily for platinum, if your gear is not good enough for that always bring a goon friend, or if you have patience and a decent computer then do a daily 6 man run of both Defense and Grond as well. Pelargir is optional, you'll probably replace the rare ring drop people run it for and it gives half as much merit as the two new Minas Tirith battles.

Earn lots of merit, barter for lots of star-lits and anfalas scrolls from the 'standard honors' or whatever it's called NPc in either Dol Amroth or in Minas Tirith.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I wonder what they'll do with imbued LIs at level 105. They can't just keep tacking on more tiers to unlock, can they? Gear will get reset, that's normal, but there has to be some sort of catch-up mechanism for new 105s, that didn't play at 100.

Maybe the new scrolls of empowerment will unlock multiple tiers if your tier is under 44 (the current max) or something? Or Anfalas scrolls get even cheaper, so getting the 16-per-legacy is even quicker, and the new scrolls won't work until your tier is 44?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

xZAOx posted:

I wonder what they'll do with imbued LIs at level 105. They can't just keep tacking on more tiers to unlock, can they? Gear will get reset, that's normal, but there has to be some sort of catch-up mechanism for new 105s, that didn't play at 100.

Maybe the new scrolls of empowerment will unlock multiple tiers if your tier is under 44 (the current max) or something? Or Anfalas scrolls get even cheaper, so getting the 16-per-legacy is even quicker, and the new scrolls won't work until your tier is 44?

Based on the current forum posts the assumption is all gear except LIs will be replaced with 105 gear, and they will keep on tacking new upgrades onto LIs. If it's any other way, I'm gonna whine or something.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)
Is it just me, or is Mirkwood really a step up in difficulty? I'm a tad overleveled from doing everything in Moria, and still not even close to breezing through anything. Stuff used to die really really fast with just Embers-Wizards Fire-Lightning + pet attacks. Now most mobs take upwards of 10-12 spells to kill. My gear is fine, both 2nd age LIs at level 60, and everything generally level 65. Might be just "better" grouping of mobs, but it feels pretty silly.

Besides that, I don't have Enedwaith unlocked - is it any good?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Lars posted:

Is it just me, or is Mirkwood really a step up in difficulty? I'm a tad overleveled from doing everything in Moria, and still not even close to breezing through anything. Stuff used to die really really fast with just Embers-Wizards Fire-Lightning + pet attacks. Now most mobs take upwards of 10-12 spells to kill. My gear is fine, both 2nd age LIs at level 60, and everything generally level 65. Might be just "better" grouping of mobs, but it feels pretty silly.

I don't remember any issues with Mirkwood on my Hunter (who, according to a recent official forums post, is the worst solo'er - apparently every other class handles multiple mobs better. 15 seconds of prep work always seemed to take care of that, but you do get jumped sometimes).

Regarding Enedwaith - I had to look it up haha, but once I saw the map I remembered it. I remember liking it. You roll with the Grey Company a lot, you have to make at least once interesting choice, and (if I'm remembering correctly) had some cool story pieces, not just the epic quest.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Lars posted:

Did you do any quests in Lothlorien between Moria & Mirkwood?

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)
Yeah, all done with Lothlorien as well. Only have the repeatables "left". I'm not underleveled or undergeared - the content just feels a lot harder than Moria/Lothlorien - plus I have advanced the epics all the way to Mirkwood. So I might just be bad :P

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Lars posted:

Yeah, all done with Lothlorien as well. Only have the repeatables "left". I'm not underleveled or undergeared - the content just feels a lot harder than Moria/Lothlorien - plus I have advanced the epics all the way to Mirkwood. So I might just be bad :P

I did a quick google about "lotro mirkwood or enedwaith" and found multiple posts talking about how Mirkwood is quite a bit harder than other content. So it's probably not just you.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Mirkwood is definitely a nice challenge, and the atmosphere is pretty great in my opinion. If you're looking for a faster leveling experience though, go with Enedwaith. I think it's worth it to play through Mirkwood at least once, even if it's not on your first character. I think it's the second best expansion after Moria.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
"expansion"

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)
Oh, I'm not skipping it at all - I'm going through it slowly, trying to see as much of the world as possible. How far can I get without buying HD - east Rohan? I was thinking of spending some of my turbinebux on Enedwaith, but I'm sorta hesitant, thinking I might want them later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Buy Great River- most people agree that it's a better choice than RoI.

Then move on to RoR and milk it for every XP that you possibly can. Skip both Wildermore and Fangorn altogether. The problem is, I'm pretty sure that they gated the Epic Storyline through HD, so you may actually have to buy it in order to get to the Paths of the Dead(which was a huge letdown IMO).

If you actually do make it through the Paths of the Dead, you'll find yourself in Gondor, which pretty much everyone agrees is better content than anything in Rohan.