Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
The Zombie Wasp is the flagship of the fleet, actually. Carries tons of rares from all over the bubble over to Beagle Point for reasons.

Atrayonis fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT DO IT
Jun 5, 2008

this level will be fun guys

SpannerX posted:

Rez hunt for bounties. What sort of v/l do you have?

Yeah I was thinking this would be the method of choice for me. A Mk III Viper could be tricked out without completely draining me. I don't know about a Mk IV.

SpannerX posted:

What sort of v/l do you have?

I have no idea what this means. Vessel maybe? I have an Adder now. Nothing combat capable.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

DONT DO IT posted:

Yeah I was thinking this would be the method of choice for me. A Mk III Viper could be tricked out without completely draining me. I don't know about a Mk IV.

I have no idea what this means. Vessel maybe? I have an Adder now. Nothing combat capable.

You probably don't want a IV anyways! The III will serve you well and is a lot of fun to fly.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

The FAS will make you feel like a death god, complete with enemy fire ineffectually plinking against your heavily armored body while you laugh in contempt. After flying both a Python and a FAS, I would say the FAS is the better combat ship. After flying and fighting a little bit in my FAS, my Python afterwards started to feel like moving through molasses in comparison.

What's the price and required rank for a FAS? Just trying to set my goals now that they are vindicated

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

ZeusCannon posted:

What's the price and required rank for a FAS? Just trying to set my goals now that they are vindicated

Chief Petty Officer and 75-100 mil, depending on bling

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well I have some long term goals now. Are there any places near 63 G good to RES rat in?

ZeusCannon fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 20, 2016

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

ZeusCannon posted:

Well I have some long term goals now. Are there any places near 63 G good to RES rat in?

IX chakan is my preferred hunting spot. The only trick is that you need to go all the way back to the coriolis starport to reload as the outpost next to the hazres doesn't sell ammo.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Xihe's not far, and the station there is a high-tech one with lots of modules for sale. Xihe has some decent resource extraction sites.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

HJE-Cobra posted:

Xihe's not far, and the station there is a high-tech one with lots of modules for sale. Xihe has some decent resource extraction sites.

Xihe's RES sites are poo poo because they are all located at brown dwarfs. Don't hunt at Xihe.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Why do some people keep acting like the only way to buy a ship is with A-class parts? You can buy and serviceably outfit a FAS for a fraction of that.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Agreed.

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

A ship is something you should grow into.

You appreciate it more!

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

DONT DO IT posted:

Yeah, it's shorthand for vessel.

I wouldn't bother with the Mk IV. You can do low rez with a sidewinder, just stay with cops and let them do most of the work before you start shooting.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Keep in mind I'm solo ratting in a cobra lately so not sure if hazres is too much for me. Just getting back into the game after a long break.

Edit: Thanks for all the advice everyone. That 35 mil loadout looks very tempting so I'm going to start trying to farm some fed rep and save a bit more for that

ZeusCannon fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 21, 2016

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I just threw that together as a theoretical example. For applied FASing you might want to experiment with different weapon setups, some people find the top hardpoint a bit finicky with symmetrical loadouts.

They're actually manoeuvrable enough to use fixed weapons, if that's your thing.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
How would you ever have the rep for a FAS but only 35 million? Doing nothing but fed missions to make money?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

K8.0 posted:

How would you ever have the rep for a FAS but only 35 million? Doing nothing but fed missions to make money?

You don't generally make money getting Fed rep because the fastest way is to spam donation missions in a place like Tun (not exclusively there but it works for me). So your bank balance only goes down apart from the bounties when you assassinate someone for a promotion mission.

Imperial Rep you make bank because spamming Cubeo ground assault missions gets you a shitload of cash for firing a handful of dumbfires.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I am basically running a stock FAS right now. I did upgrade everything to at least D rank, FSD is only B rank due to cost. It's still a beast of a ship even without being A ranked.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

One thing I've only just noticed is that the computer's voice echos on the anaconda. Has it always been like that or is that a recent change?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

DancingShade posted:

You don't generally make money getting Fed rep because the fastest way is to spam donation missions in a place like Tun (not exclusively there but it works for me). So your bank balance only goes down apart from the bounties when you assassinate someone for a promotion mission.

Imperial Rep you make bank because spamming Cubeo ground assault missions gets you a shitload of cash for firing a handful of dumbfires.

You are forcing me very hard to weigh my love of RPing as an Air to Ground assault vehicle against my love of having e: forty fifty dollars.

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 21, 2016

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Astroniomix posted:

One thing I've only just noticed is that the computer's voice echos on the anaconda. Has it always been like that or is that a recent change?

It has always been like that.

Echoing maybe makes sense, 'cause you're in a much bigger area?

When I first flew an Anaconda it freaked me out - sounded like ship voice had become much more stern & disapproving.

Anything starting with 'warning' was like, poo poo, my expensive new ship is going to blow up!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

K8.0 posted:

Super easily. Hunt in a RES with your Vulture til you have ~10 million in the bank to cover rebuys and changes in outfitting, then spam donation missions til you get rank.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Spent half the day helping the Space Cops of Ovid kill ne'er-do-wells at the Nav beacon so I could go from my little Sidewinder to a MK 3 Cobra. 5 minutes later I made as much as I had all day. Owns bones.

God DAMMIT as I was typing this up another goddamn idiot space cop slammed into me while doing a scan.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
The easiest way to make rank of course is spamming donation missions. There isn't a donation area for imperial side. I find that doing long haul courier missions actually is a little more relaxing over ground missions. Sort of a Space Truck Simulator vibe. Turn on some radio, and just chill flying from place to place.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I've made Post Commander entirely from donation missions. 2 more ranks before I hit Rear Admiral.

God I miss Cubeo.
:negative:

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

DancingShade posted:

I've made Post Commander entirely from donation missions. 2 more ranks before I hit Rear Admiral.

God I miss Cubeo.
:negative:

Cubeo sucks. Where are you ranking up in Fed? In case you missed my previous post, Taribes is top notch for Fed donation missions.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

nippythefish posted:

Cubeo sucks. Where are you ranking up in Fed? In case you missed my previous post, Taribes is top notch for Fed donation missions.

I was in Tun but yeah I think I glossed over Taribes. I'll head over there now, cheers.

Also I want to go on the record saying that while the firepower is nice the Python is a pig to fly and I hate it. But since the jump drive is decent I'll see if I can make it work a bit longer before I get into something smaller.

It's the first ship I've flown where flight assist off in combat isn't just an option but mandatory. (to clarify yes it has A class thrusters, etc)

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

I went to taribes and got to 100% for the rank but cant get the rankup missions because im not allied? What can I do?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

I went to taribes and got to 100% for the rank but cant get the rankup missions because im not allied? What can I do?

You can get rank up missions from any system of that faction so just head to the most convenient red system and land somewhere.

Ok the python saw me through a big patch of brown dwarves like a champ. Maybe I need to re-evaluate this ship a bit.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Feb 21, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

xiansi posted:

It has always been like that.

Echoing maybe makes sense, 'cause you're in a much bigger area?

When I first flew an Anaconda it freaked me out - sounded like ship voice had become much more stern & disapproving.

Anything starting with 'warning' was like, poo poo, my expensive new ship is going to blow up!

One thing I've always wondered, since no-one in any videos and screenshots I've seen bothers to look around, where exactly on the bridge is the pilot's seat?

I know some ships like the Python and the Clipper have you sitting to the side instead of in the center, what is the Anaconda's deal? Are you sitting in the centre of a large bridge, or are you sitting somewhere to the side like you're driving a car?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrsbgeoKHv0

There's three crew stations, the pilot sits at the centre.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Sweet! Good to know.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

DancingShade posted:

You can get rank up missions from any system of that faction so just head to the most convenient red system and land somewhere.

Ok the python saw me through a big patch of brown dwarves like a champ. Maybe I need to re-evaluate this ship a bit.

If you can get the mass down to 720 tons it's much more bearable.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Wonder how long it will take to get an Imp Cutter, exclusively through mining. That is one sexy ship.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Efexeye posted:

Wonder how long it will take to get an Imp Cutter, exclusively through mining. That is one sexy ship.

The one bad thing about the Cutter is how the cockpit sits you down to the side of the bridge's centre, like a car driver. It's not a deal breaker, but a ship as large as the Cutter should do it like the Anaconda, with you sitting in the centre like a proper space ship captain. It's a pet peeve of mine and always niggling in the back of my mind when I drive a space ship with me sitting off-centre.

Yeah, I know it's stupid. I just like symmetry.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Libluini posted:

The one bad thing about the Cutter is how the cockpit sits you down to the side of the bridge's centre, like a car driver. It's not a deal breaker, but a ship as large as the Cutter should do it like the Anaconda, with you sitting in the centre like a proper space ship captain. It's a pet peeve of mine and always niggling in the back of my mind when I drive a space ship with me sitting off-centre.

Yeah, I know it's stupid. I just like symmetry.

Funny thing about ED is that despite how it looks, you're actually sitting in the center. You can tell because when you roll the ship it rolls around the center of your screen despite the fact that you're obviously off-center.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Astroniomix posted:

Funny thing about ED is that despite how it looks, you're actually sitting in the center. You can tell because when you roll the ship it rolls around the center of your screen despite the fact that you're obviously off-center.
I'm not convinced, can you demonstrate this?

I spent a lot of time in a Cobra, and it's very clear when you fire your weapons that you're sitting off centre.

edit: I just took a quick screenshot of a Cobra firing fixed beams. The beams converge on the point of roll, if your view was dead centre the angles would be identical. They're clearly not?

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 21, 2016

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

tooterfish posted:

I'm not convinced, can you demonstrate this?

I spent a lot of time in a Cobra, and it's very clear when you fire your weapons that you're sitting off centre.

edit: I just took a quick screenshot of a Cobra firing fixed beams. The beams converge on the point of roll, if your view was dead centre the angles would be identical. They're clearly not?

*screenshot of an alpha build*

I'll try to grab a video of what I'm talking about. I recall someone mentioning it in discord and then doing a brief test myself to confirm it.

The weapons being off-center is probably a clientside "trick" as well, or I could be totally wrong.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."

BMan posted:

I was doing it all wrong. With advanced fuckery, I'm making 50 million an hour. :aaaaa:

Is this still working? Maybe I'm just having bad luck on the mission spawns, but I'm Entrepreneur rank and allied standing with CDE and a couple of hours of half-hearted clicking has only given me one 90 slave mission.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Astroniomix posted:

I'll try to grab a video of what I'm talking about. I recall someone mentioning it in discord and then doing a brief test myself to confirm it.

The weapons being off-center is probably a clientside "trick" as well, or I could be totally wrong.

I feel like the offset of the pilot chair is pretty tiny relative to the size of the ship and the distances involved in normal flight. Even if everything was modeled accurately you'd probably have to get your canopy glass rubbing right up against a marked surface to effectively see the difference between the position of your chair and the flight model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Astroniomix posted:

You said the point of roll is at the centre of your view.

The weapons converge on the point of roll. The weapons converge off centre. Therefore the point of roll is off centre.

I'm not sure what kind of trickery you think could be happening there?

• Locked thread