Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Negligent posted:

You know how in Thailand a lot of people are super hesitant getting on the escalator? I would tease my friends about this seemingly irrational fear then the other day someone shared a gory pic of this poor kid's mangled foot on fb:
http://imgur.com/2sA1nNH ( nws obvs)

The Crocs survived? drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Negligent posted:

You know how in Thailand a lot of people are super hesitant getting on the escalator? I would tease my friends about this seemingly irrational fear then the other day someone shared a gory pic of this poor kid's mangled foot on fb:
http://imgur.com/2sA1nNH ( nws obvs)

Thank god, this one was out of order then:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Isn't it just a Crocs thing in general?

I'm sure I've read before about Crocs being notoriously easy to catch in escalator teeth because of the soft rubber or (something like that).

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

webmeister posted:

Isn't it just a Crocs thing in general?

I'm sure I've read before about Crocs being notoriously easy to catch in escalator teeth because of the soft rubber or (something like that).

I typed up a post that said this but the deleted it but yeah crocs and other soft encasing shoes are a big part of these incidents

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I survived SE Asia.

Suvarnabwhatever airport has the worst, rudest staff I've ever encountered, and I'm from the US.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Grand Fromage posted:

I survived SE Asia.

Suvarnabwhatever airport has the worst, rudest staff I've ever encountered, and I'm from the US.

Wow I have had the opposite experience.. people have let my family go through the VIP lines and everything.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Wow I have had the opposite experience.. people have let my family go through the VIP lines and everything.

It was bizarre. Security people getting seriously pissed because I didn't speak Thai (it's a major international airport guys, not a huge stretch to expect English), literal sighing and eyerolling when I had the temerity to try to buy something and interrupt very important phone games, a security check so assholish I missed the TSA.

Maybe they'd been worn down by weeks of dealing with mainlanders, I don't know.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Grand Fromage posted:

It was bizarre. Security people getting seriously pissed because I didn't speak Thai (it's a major international airport guys, not a huge stretch to expect English), literal sighing and eyerolling when I had the temerity to try to buy something and interrupt very important phone games, a security check so assholish I missed the TSA.

Maybe they'd been worn down by weeks of dealing with mainlanders, I don't know.

Go watch the documentary show "Airport of Smiles". All will be revealed. Also it was great having a beer with you even if I did assume you were a homeless man when I saw you on the street corner.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

Go watch the documentary show "Airport of Smiles". All will be revealed. Also it was great having a beer with you even if I did assume you were a homeless man when I saw you on the street corner.

I actually have seen that and figured that by not being A) drunk B) British or C) a moron I'd be like a loving hero in there.

My landlord is in the process of trying to sell my apartment so there was actually a nonzero chance I was homeless at the time (fortunately I am not). That was also probably the best Thai food I had in Bangkok so thanks for that!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I've done fine when I went through Soovararpoo in the past.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Reindeer and Tytan both warned me about the shack that used to serve as Air Asia's hub terminal at Kuala Lumpur airport, known as the LCCT or Low Cost Carrier Terminal. I will have you know that it's been replaced by klia2, which topside is world class if you're into shopping and lounges and such. But at the wing for international departures, lol. They have 3 internal security checkpoints followed by a wing of 20 something gates in a hallway where if I stick out both my arms I can just about touch the walls on either side, and the luxurious Gloria Jean's Coffee or a place called "Puffy Buffy" which I heard a teenager describe as smelling like dry dog or cat food. But hey, free wifi and a few outlets next to the chairs. And one water fountain in the whole wing! Sucks.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Whoever anglicised สุวรรณภูมิ as Suvarnabhumi may have been technically correct because there's a ิ ิ at the end but it's not pronounced. If you say bpai suwannapoom to the taxi driver the odds go up he will actually understand.

I've been there maybe four times in the last two years and never had any problems but that was before the recent bombing. They probably received a directive to put on some really obnoxious security theatre.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Rookie mistake, don't go through the last checkpoint to the P and Q terminals until your flight's about to board. Once you get to the big open international transfer hall in the middle go up to the food court area, there's a bar, an overpriced spa, transit hotel, lounge, duty free and everything, just chill there until an hour before scheduled departure.

Negligent fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 19, 2016

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Negligent posted:

Rookie mistake, don't go through the last checkpoint to the P and Q terminals until your flight's about to board. Once you get to the big open international transfer hall in the middle go up to the food court area, there's a bar, an overpriced spa, transit hotel, lounge, duty free and everything, just chill there until an hour before scheduled departure.

Did this, can confirm it is a good idea.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah and what is up with Thai romanization? It makes no sense at all. Like every word has an R in it but Thai doesn't seem to have an R sound and people get really confused if you pronounce larb as larb instead of lap. Why not just write it lap if that's what it sounds like?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah and what is up with Thai romanization? It makes no sense at all. Like every word has an R in it but Thai doesn't seem to have an R sound and people get really confused if you pronounce larb as larb instead of lap. Why not just write it lap if that's what it sounds like?

It kind of has an R noise but not a very strong one. In general the problem with Thai romanization is that a) there's no generally accepted system for wide usage as there is with other Asian languages and b) the system the government uses for public stuff isn't great anyway. Hence, Suvarnabhumi.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
Suvarnabhumi is actually pronounced closer to how it reads (swarna-bhoomi) in Sanskrit & Hindi. It means land of gold, and is as common in ancient texts & myths in India as El Dorado in central america. So a lot of the english translations of the sanskrit word correctly spelt it as Suvarnabhumi. Thais tend to use the same spelling even though they pronounce it differently.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Grand Fromage posted:

Khmer is the same way and I can tell you it's definitely because of those god damned French

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Thai has a distinct L ล and R ร.

The 'L' and 'R' swap is due to people not talking properly. It's especially true in the North. Thaksin Shinawatra, the former PM had a slogan, Thai rak Thai (rak means love) and he would lapse into the colloquial pronunciation lak, which means something quite different.

Watch a news bulletin and the guy will say khrap with a hard r, whereas the guy at 7-11 will sound like kaap. Other common examples are jing ror (lor) and Mai bpen rai (lai).

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

There is a place in Chiang Mai called รินคำ, a major intersection with a big shopping mall and a market. In Thai, อำ is roughly a -um sound.

It's romanised as Rincome, Rin Kam, Rinkhum and probably others depending on who's writing the sign.

E: awful app eats my quotes. You get the drift anyway.

Negligent fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 20, 2016

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Anarkii posted:

Suvarnabhumi is actually pronounced closer to how it reads (swarna-bhoomi) in Sanskrit & Hindi. It means land of gold, and is as common in ancient texts & myths in India as El Dorado in central america. So a lot of the english translations of the sanskrit word correctly spelt it as Suvarnabhumi. Thais tend to use the same spelling even though they pronounce it differently.

This is what I was going to say. If you look at the romanization the Thai government uses, there are no V's in it. Suvarnabhumi and Sukhumvit only have v's in them because that's how they've been historically spelled, just like Taipei is spelled wrong based on modern systems. It's just too much hassle to correct it.

Negligent posted:

The 'L' and 'R' swap is due to people not talking properly

:can:

I'm not sure this is how I'd describe it. Pronunciation is regional and changes with time. I'm a hard descriptivist when it comes to language so when I hear people say it differently from how it's written in a book, it's the book I accuse of being wrong, not the people.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Could be, it would be harsh to say Thai people don't speak Thai properly but that's what I've been repeatedly told by Thais themselves. At CMU the example Kru Aom gave was if you are an MC or a newsreader you would be expected to speak 'proper' Thai and so that's what they teach. I'm not that upset if it turns out everyone says jing lor in practice.

I mean in Australia we technically speak the Queen's English but that's not how actual people sound.

Negligent fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Feb 20, 2016

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Negligent posted:

Could be, it would be harsh to say Thai people don't speak Thai properly but that's what I've been repeatedly told by Thais themselves. At CMU the example Kru Aom gave was if you are an MC or a newsreader you would be expected to speak 'proper' Thai and so that's what they teach. I'm not that upset if it turns out everyone says jing lor in practice.

I mean in Australia we technically speak the Queen's English but that's not how actual people sound.

No native speaker of a language speaks it incorrectly. If they pronounce it differently between regions, both regions' pronunciations are correct. That one is preferred over the other is an elitist, classist determination and not one with any linguistic merit. It's the same in the States where we look down on Southern accents for "sounding stupid" or get angry when people say things like, "I itched myself," or "I borrowed it to him." These aren't wrong, they're just regional and we can piss and moan all we want about people speaking English incorrectly, but if a large enough number of people adopted those expressions, they would then become standard English.

That Thai newscasters are choosing one over the other or people who teach Thai to foreigners say what the "correct way" to say things is is a symptom of one group of people trying to assert cultural hegemony over another.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

OK. Mai bpen rai (lai)

Negligent fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Feb 20, 2016

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The flip side to this is that within our lifetimes, "for all intensive purposes" is going to be grammatically correct!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Atlas Hugged posted:

The flip side to this is that within our lifetimes, "for all intensive purposes" is going to be grammatically correct!

No, it's the children who are wrong.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Atlas Hugged posted:

No native speaker of a language speaks it incorrectly. If they pronounce it differently between regions, both regions' pronunciations are correct. That one is preferred over the other is an elitist, classist determination and not one with any linguistic merit. It's the same in the States where we look down on Southern accents for "sounding stupid" or get angry when people say things like, "I itched myself," or "I borrowed it to him." These aren't wrong, they're just regional and we can piss and moan all we want about people speaking English incorrectly, but if a large enough number of people adopted those expressions, they would then become standard English.

That Thai newscasters are choosing one over the other or people who teach Thai to foreigners say what the "correct way" to say things is is a symptom of one group of people trying to assert cultural hegemony over another.

As an academic linguist, can confirm

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

actually I remember reading about the French government banning the word 'email' because they are precious petals about their language so I think I probably agree with the elitism claim

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Negligent posted:

actually I remember reading about the French government banning the word 'email' because they are precious petals about their language so I think I probably agree with the elitism claim

The French Academy rules on what is and isn't proper French and invents new words to keep English loan words from polluting the language. I think most people ignore it.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

I was in 7/11 around the time bars close in Chiang Mai (so midnight then) when a dude and his hiso girlfriend come in, she beelines to the frozen foods cabinet and then to the staff, mee spa-ghet-ti car-bo-na-ra mai? and when they don't have it chucks a sad at the guy.

It's a mystery to me why they didn't import the word cafe as, well, cafe. Thai has plenty of hard k sounds. Instead it's ga-fey.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

So when you are speaking Thai do you use the elitist R pronunciation or the everyman L? Drop the R entirely like most people do?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Cold Asia teachers seem to have a massively different experience of Asia in my experience as a goon, heh.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Negligent posted:

So when you are speaking Thai do you use the elitist R pronunciation or the everyman L? Drop the R entirely like most people do?

I just use the L because gently caress rolling my R's all the time, poo poo's effort, no wonder nobody bothers

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Negligent posted:

My Thai is pretty terrible, but when I do speak Thai it's usually to taxi drivers, so it's more L's than R's. Basically I just try to imitate how I actually hear it said by Thais.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Atlas Hugged posted:

My Thai is pretty terrible, but when I do speak Thai it's usually to taxi drivers, so it's more L's than R's. Basically I just try to imitate how I actually hear it said by Thais.

This is how I get by as well. Imitate as closely as I can whoever is a native speaker that is closest. It does mean that some days I'm rolling deep on the r's, and other days it's lai lai lai.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
Saw Dengue Fever for the third time last night, probably my favoruite performance I've seen from them yet. I think I'm in love with Chhom Nimol.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
EAT.

A.

DICK.

Tytan.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Hey yeah go to hell man. That's not cool. Especially when Kuta really does blow this hard. I shoulda just stayed in PP damnit.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Luang Prabang is a really cool town. Very very charming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

ReindeerF posted:

EAT.

A.

DICK.

Tytan.

FaceEater posted:

Hey yeah go to hell man. That's not cool. Especially when Kuta really does blow this hard. I shoulda just stayed in PP damnit.

Sucks to be you lol.

I should go see if Zeppelin is open again...