Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
So assuming AJ Styles makes the Mania card (in a real match, not the preshow battle royal or whatever), when's the last time a guy worked the Tokyo Dome and Mania in the same calendar year? Has that even happened before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

natetimm posted:

One of the recurring themes in a lot of the wrestler biographies and autobiographies I read on why the product is worse today is the lack of control individual wrestlers have over their characters. Giving more booking control obviously has its flaws as anyone can tell you, but taking chances on the creativity of your own workers seems to have a much lower down side. The New Day is a pretty good example of this, I think. I hope it leads to more "creative control" in the hands of performers that isn't just petulantly refusing to lose to people because of backstage politics and personal issues.

The 50/50 booking and lack of star power these days shows that even guys being able to petulantly refuse to lose to people had a lower downside than the current situation.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Entertainment businesses are built on star power, but there's an unceasing tension between that and the company's incentive to make the company, not any individual, the main attraction. Vince McMahon has been very successful in this regard, and his company is the victim of his success.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 19, 2016

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Benne posted:

So assuming AJ Styles makes the Mania card (in a real match, not the preshow battle royal or whatever), when's the last time a guy worked the Tokyo Dome and Mania in the same calendar year? Has that even happened before?

Alundra Blayze in 1994.
Defended the title at WMX against Leilani Kai and then dropped it to Bull Nakano later that year at the Dome.

Also all the WWF guys on this card:

http://www.profightdb.com/cards/ajpw/us-japan-wrestling-summit-5191.html

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 19, 2016

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Shiki Dan posted:

Alundra Blayze in 1994.
Defended the title at WMX against Leilani Kai and then dropped it to Bull Nakano later that year at the Dome.

She lost it in November, not on the January 4th show.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Benne posted:

Benne posted:

Yeah sorry, I should've specified I meant the January 4 show.

Oh, well in that case Vader did it in 1996 working the January 4 Dome Show and Wrestlemania XII.

MagicCube fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 19, 2016

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah sorry, I should've specified I meant the January 4 show.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ayn rand hand job posted:

She lost it in November, not on the January 4th show.

wrestling shows occurred at the dome on dates other than jan 4 during the 90s boom

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

MagicCube posted:

Oh, well in that case Vader did it in 1996 working the January 4 Dome Show and Wrestlemania XII.

I looked it up and he went from wrestling Inoki at the Dome to a 6-man curtain jerker at Mania. That's ... quite the downgrade.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Benne posted:

I looked it up and he went from wrestling Inoki at the Dome to a 6-man curtain jerker at Mania. That's ... quite the downgrade.

I doubt he would have gone if it wasn't same or better money.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
On the one hand the WWE having absolute control over their wrestlers' personalities is obviously not a good deal, but on the other hand Hulk Hogan has dragged entire promotions down in his quest to never ever appear weak.

Basically nobody in wrestling who gains power ever uses it responsibly.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..

Maxwell Lord posted:

On the one hand the WWE having absolute control over their wrestlers' personalities is obviously not a good deal, but on the other hand Hulk Hogan has dragged entire promotions down in his quest to never ever appear weak.

That was the fault of incompetent bosses more than Hogan. Ideally you want wrestlers with the leverage to protect the credibility and promotions with the balls and foresight to say no to them when it gets too much.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Austin and Big Show talked about that sort of thing on the podcast. When Austin asked Show to sum up his booking over the years, Show immediately said it was absolutely horrible. Big Show noted that while Austin was protective of his character, Show tried to be the ultimate team player and went along with basically everything asked of him, including all the stupid poo poo.

That whole podcast was a good listen. Big Show getting trolled by Hogan and other WCW veterans in the airport until Sting clued him in had me cracking up.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
When someone asks you to dance in a diaper on national television and you do it with an enthusiastic smile, you're basically the best company man ever.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Spermgod posted:

That was the fault of incompetent bosses more than Hogan. Ideally you want wrestlers with the leverage to protect the credibility and promotions with the balls and foresight to say no to them when it gets too much.

I'm gonna throw this out here.
Was Bischoff giving Hogan creative control incompetent?
Do you think Hogan would have signed a contract for any amount of money without also having contractual control over every facet of his career? (I originally thought it only extended to match results, but apparently the fallout from BatB demonstrated otherwise).
Do you think WCW would have been better off without Hogan? Remember that for all his faults Hogan was the linchpin of the most successful period of the company's history.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
At least from 96-98, Hulk's contributions to WCW were absolutely a net positive imo, and a big one

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

I'm gonna throw this out here.
Was Bischoff giving Hogan creative control incompetent?
Do you think Hogan would have signed a contract for any amount of money without also having contractual control over every facet of his career? (I originally thought it only extended to match results, but apparently the fallout from BatB demonstrated otherwise).
Do you think WCW would have been better off without Hogan? Remember that for all his faults Hogan was the linchpin of the most successful period of the company's history.

Hogan's creative control only extended to match results.

The judge in his lawsuit ruled that because wrestling was fake Hogan's creative control clause would be worthless if it also didn't give him control over promos involving him, expanding it greatly.

Hogan only signed with WCW because they gave him a HUGE deal and creative control. He was incredibly leery the company would gently caress him up so that clause is what led to him signing.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Wow that seems like a rather ridiculous conclusion to come to.
I feel like I should bap that judge over the head with a rolled up newspaper.
*BAP* BAD JUDGE! LOOK AT THE MESS YOU MADE! (points to Hogan). WE DO THAT OUTSIDE!

In Hogan's defense though: You'd think that Russo would maybe look at Jeff Jarrett and be like 'y'know what, this is the second time in two companies this has happened. Maybe it's not them. Maybe I should hitch my wagon to another horse.'

I swear TNA is the direct result of Jeff Jarrett deciding "Screw Austin, screw Hogan. I'ma get my own wrestling company, with blackjack. And hookers." And then he did.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 20, 2016

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

Wow that seems like a rather ridiculous conclusion to come to.
I feel like I should bap that judge over the head with a rolled up newspaper.
*BAP* BAD JUDGE! LOOK AT THE MESS YOU MADE! (points to Hogan). WE DO THAT OUTSIDE!

In Hogan's defense though: You'd think that Russo would maybe look at Jeff Jarrett and be like 'y'know what, this is the second time in two companies this has happened. Maybe it's not them. Maybe I should hitch my wagon to another horse.'

I swear TNA is the direct result of Jeff Jarrett deciding "Screw Austin, screw Hogan. I'ma get my own wrestling company, with blackjack. And hookers." And then he did.

If you have creative control and use it to win a match and then the booker comes out and declares you are in fact the loser, your creative control is meaningless.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

Maxwell Lord posted:

Rock.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
Hogan was a huge part of WCW's mid-90s success but at some point there was more upside to paying him to sit at home than allowing him to run rampant and it's on the WCW management for not realizing that.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

RVD as well had a lot of pull in ECW, mostly because they owed him a shitload of money. But then again Dreamer also had a decent amount of control and seemed to be obsessed with booking himself as if he didn't so maybe that was the norm for that company.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

RVD as well had a lot of pull in ECW, mostly because they owed him a shitload of money. But then again Dreamer also had a decent amount of control and seemed to be obsessed with booking himself as if he didn't so maybe that was the norm for that company.

Dreamer was also a total dickwad to Corino so he varied.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

If we're talking about active wrestlers with the book....

Gedo's booking can certainly be criticized on severald different levels but he's content to book himself as a lower card guy that often is in semi comedic matches and usually jobs.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Thauros posted:

If we're talking about active wrestlers with the book....

Gedo's booking can certainly be criticized on severald different levels but he's content to book himself as a lower card guy that often is in semi comedic matches and usually jobs.

he booked himself to come out with a hot actress, win the battle royale, and walk away with the girl at Wrestle Kingdom

Cheeseburger should have won damnit

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

"And human penises. And incestuous hillbillies. And unprotected chairshots."

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRafTer posted:

Dreamer was also a total dickwad to Corino so he varied.

It would not surprise me in the least if Corino brought that on himself.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

ayn rand hand job posted:

he booked himself to come out with a hot actress, win the battle royale, and walk away with the girl at Wrestle Kingdom

Cheeseburger should have won damnit

that was Jado

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CombineThresher posted:

It would not surprise me in the least if Corino brought that on himself.

Tommy sold him a broken ring while swearing it was good, that's not really one of those "well, you brought it on yourself" kind of things

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
It's not about the book it's about being able to craft your own persona.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Hulk Hogan is pretty much universally reviled these days, but what was the opinion of him with smarks during his heyday in the 80s/early 90s? Has he always been seen as a manipulative dick, or is that something that's become apparent with hindsight?

To clarify, I know the fans were sick of him by the 92 Rumble (at least), but how about during the height of Hulkamania?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

BodyMassageMachine posted:

Hulk Hogan is pretty much universally reviled these days, but what was the opinion of him with smarks during his heyday in the 80s/early 90s? Has he always been seen as a manipulative dick, or is that something that's become apparent with hindsight?

To clarify, I know the fans were sick of him by the 92 Rumble (at least), but how about during the height of Hulkamania?

They hated him then too. His matches were formulaic, and he was viewed as someone who couldn't "wrestle". Smarks were pushing for people like Steamboat, Savage, Harley Race, anyone really, to be WWF Champion over him.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
Yeah people's views on his in-ring ability have improved since the 80s. Most people will at least say that he was very good at being Hogan now. Back then Meltzer had a palpable hatred for the style of the WWF and what Vince was doing business-wise that extended to his criticism of Hogan's matches and in turn influenced everyone else.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Agreed, Hulk Hogan was very good at having a formulaic lovely match with opponents who were even more horrendously bad in the ring than him

The guy had a great character that he was good at playing, he was a huge draw, we don't really have to pretend that made his in ring stuff good

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

If smarks hated Hogan, why did he win babyface of the year like 8 years in a row

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Hogan was actually capable of being a very good wrestler when he was in Japan. He just realised that in America he could get away with having the same match over and over again and make more money than everyone else.

He also was on TV far less and unless you were going to house shows your only chances to see him would generally be on the big PPV's or TV specials so the formula wasn't as tired as it would be if he was wrestling today.

He just got out, played his greatest hits and left. He's wrestling's Gene Simon, right down to the terrible sex tape.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

If smarks hated Hogan, why did he win babyface of the year like 8 years in a row

Because he was an enormous star and WWE's midcard babyface roster was frequently kinda thin. Most of their best performers were heels. Same goes for the NWA, really, Flair and the Horsemen were NWA's best performers. The only guys who could conceivably outdo him in U.S. wrestling at the time as faces were Steamboat, and Jerry Lawler.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Tommy sold him a broken ring while swearing it was good, that's not really one of those "well, you brought it on yourself" kind of things

Dreamer passing off broken things as good sounds about right, starting with himself.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I was out of wrestling during Batista's entire run. Whats the general consensus on him and what are some essential matches I should check out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Big Dave always had great chemistry with Taker, so for his best matches you can start there.

He was like a lot of guys, not a spectacular worker, had a great look and a subtle absurd streak to his character work that grew on smarks over time. But I think he could be carried easier than most, so he was capable of great matches with the right opponents. Plus his face turn against Evolution might have been the biggest most memorable pop of the mid-late '00s, with the exception of maybe Cena's surprise Rumble return.