Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

I really love the show, warts and all. For the next CW DC show I want Blazed Canary and cold puns with shameless Prison Break references.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

I really love the show, warts and all. For the next CW DC show I want Blazed Canary and cold puns with shameless Prison Break references.

What about the implied natural athleticism, roofying, creepy love arc, and blandness?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ApeHawk posted:

What about the implied natural athleticism, roofying, creepy love arc, and blandness?

The last two were very quickly solved thankfully.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I am so incredibly hyped for Arrow Beyond next week. :woop:

How old is Wentworth Miller? There's a lot of white in his hair, and he doesn't look that old...

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

ApeHawk posted:

Honestly I just skip over your posting

WarLocke posted:

How old is Wentworth Miller? There's a lot of white in his hair, and he doesn't look that old...

He's 43!

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I don't understand why people get so offended by the "natural athleticism" stuff. It's not like they're saying it just because he's black, he was a promising high school quarterback before a freak injury made him stop playing. If not for the particle accelerator explosion it sounds like he would have been recruited by a major college program.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

ShakeZula posted:

I don't understand why people get so offended by the "natural athleticism" stuff. It's not like they're saying it just because he's black, he was a promising high school quarterback before a freak injury made him stop playing. If not for the particle accelerator explosion it sounds like he would have been recruited by a major college program.

It's a weird bit of sports-racism where you see black athletes have their success attributed to natural ability, whereas white athletes have that same success attributed to skill. The latter is saying white athletes work hard for their success, the former just goes "well of course the guy did sportsball well, he's black."

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

nutranurse posted:

It's a weird bit of sports-racism where you see black athletes have their success attributed to natural ability, whereas white athletes have that same success attributed to skill. The latter is saying white athletes work hard for their success, the former just goes "well of course the guy did sportsball well, he's black."

I'm familiar with the phenomenon, I just think it's a little bit of a overstatement on this case. We don't obviously have game tape to determine whether his success was due to athleticism or masterful pre-snap reads and adjustments, so I'm inclined to take the show's word for it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ShakeZula posted:

I'm familiar with the phenomenon, I just think it's a little bit of a overstatement on this case. We don't obviously have game tape to determine whether his success was due to athleticism or masterful pre-snap reads and adjustments, so I'm inclined to take the show's word for it.

The delivery of that line and the preceding writing was so goddamn bad that I think people made fun of that originally, and the closet racism thing just built from there as a natural extension.

A lot of the line delivery/dialog is REALLY terrible, you can't deny.

Remember too, that this kid has a really bad knee. His body's kinda hosed up. Any 'natural athleticism' is rendered useless. The line was just purely questionable to begin with.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Drifter posted:

The delivery of that line and the preceding writing was so goddamn bad that I think people made fun of that originally, and the closet racism thing just built from there as a natural extension.

A lot of the line delivery/dialog is REALLY terrible, you can't deny.

Oh absolutely. The show is still great though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ShakeZula posted:

Oh absolutely. The show is still great though.

To my annoyance, it's still fun to watch, yeah. Like, if it were ALL bad I could shut it off and forget abotu it. But there are just a few really neat parts per episode that make me hatewatch the remainder just to be sure I got all the good parts.

At least with Arrow I could stop giving a poo poo. This has Snart, Ray, and Canary, though. :/ I don't even know the black half of Firestorm's name and I think he's a horrible actor. Legit bad.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

WarLocke posted:

Happens to some people. I'm 36 and almost as grey as Miller is. Runs in the family.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Kesper North posted:

Happens to some people. I'm 36 and almost as grey as Miller is. Runs in the family.

I am 38 and working on a good Reed Richards/Dr Strange level of grey at the temples.

So lets say they defeat Savage this season, who do they set up as the Villain of the second season? DC doesn't have quite the number of time traveling villains as Marvel does.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

twistedmentat posted:

I am 38 and working on a good Reed Richards/Dr Strange level of grey at the temples.

So lets say they defeat Savage this season, who do they set up as the Villain of the second season? DC doesn't have quite the number of time traveling villains as Marvel does.

:shrug: I would be 100% fine with the show dropping the subtitle and just turning into Legends at some point. Time travel's a great gimmick, but it doesn't have to be that forever. It can be whatever kind of anthology.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Next season should be universe jumping.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The best of of this show is Snart speaking entirely in comic book dialogue.

The second best part is that nobody has to agonise for 18 episodes about keeping secrets from their loved ones for some idiotic reason.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

XboxPants posted:

:shrug: I would be 100% fine with the show dropping the subtitle and just turning into Legends at some point. Time travel's a great gimmick, but it doesn't have to be that forever. It can be whatever kind of anthology.

This is what I hope. Plus the nature of the show lets them rotate the cast around. There's a lot of c-lister DC heroes that would fit perfectly in the show.

Xelkelvos posted:

Next season should be universe jumping.

This would also be a good idea. It's too bad DC is afraid to have multiple versions of characters around, because having a Batman Beyond show up would be kind of awesome, totally fitting within the show too.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

Per Degaton would probably be the best bet.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

This would also be a good idea. It's too bad DC is afraid to have multiple versions of characters around, because having a Batman Beyond show up would be kind of awesome, totally fitting within the show too.

Flash just did two episodes with a bunch of multiple versions of characters.

Anyway, I'm glad they're doing a future arc as the past was getting kind of boring.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
You guys talking abotu them switching the roster seem to be forgetting all the weird lovely episodes between Flarrow trying to introduce those characters. One of the reasons Legends To Tomorrow is so okay is that you aren't having a lot of wasteful setups and intros.

And there's no way the CW crop of writers know how to write concise the way Netflix managed.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

muscles like this? posted:

Flash just did two episodes with a bunch of multiple versions of characters.

Anyway, I'm glad they're doing a future arc as the past was getting kind of boring.

I mean between movies and TV. They killed off everyone who could show up in Suicide Squad, so there's no way they'd use any of their major characters. Though that does make you wonder about movie and TV flash.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Drifter posted:

You guys talking abotu them switching the roster seem to be forgetting all the weird lovely episodes between Flarrow trying to introduce those characters. One of the reasons Legends To Tomorrow is so okay is that you aren't having a lot of wasteful setups and intros.

And there's no way the CW crop of writers know how to write concise the way Netflix managed.

A dude shows up, shoots some dudes, Sara says, "who's this guy?" Rip says, "A man who loves peace so much, he is willing to fight for it!"

boom, done.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

boom boom boom posted:

A dude shows up, shoots some dudes, Sara says, "who's this guy?" Rip says, "A man who loves peace so much, he is willing to fight for it!"

boom, done.

Hahaha. I love it.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

twistedmentat posted:

Mr. Mind.

Pwnstar posted:

The best of of this show is Snart speaking entirely in comic book dialogue.

I really appreciate it when he occasionally drops the silly speech pattern and talks like a normal human being, like when he met himself in the past.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

twistedmentat posted:

given that they can't even beat Chronos I'm thinking season 2's villain could be a troupe of cub scouts or perhaps one of those inflatable dancing men from a used car lot

either way, the legends will be totally stymied

TyrantWD posted:

Rip is on a mission to avenge his recently killed wife and child. It would be a little soon for him to jump back into a romance plot. With only 8 episodes left for the show, I don't think we will see any romance within the team.

yeah Darvill and Lotz just have great chemistry, I don;t think the characters are actually supposed to be down to bone

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Feb 21, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Soothing Vapors posted:

given that they can't even beat Chronos I'm thinking season 2's villain could be a troupe of cub scouts or perhaps one of those inflatable dancing men from a used car lot

either way, the legends will be totally stymied

They'd be hard pressed to defeat Balloon Man.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

twistedmentat posted:

They'd be hard pressed to defeat Balloon Man.

Never underestimate the power of the wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tubeman army

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Honestly I just skip over your posting

He's 43!

My buddy is not even 35 and he looks like a russian blue.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Soothing Vapors posted:

given that they can't even beat Chronos

Chronos cannot be defeated. The only hope is to convince the Time Lords Masters that Rip is doing the right thing (or his changes to the timeline are acceptable).

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Drifter posted:

Well, I suppose they don't have to replace the entire cast every season. And they're constantly introducing new heroes in these shows. Coming up just within the next few weeks between the various series, we have Vixen, Jonah Hex, and Red Tornado. They've been working on Mr Terrific for a while and can pull that trigger at any time. Wildcat's still alive. They could give Jesse Quick some Velocity-9. If they've decided Suicide Squad characters are allowable, that's a bunch right there. And that's just hero characters. If a crazy flamer like Heat Wave can be included, then I think Slade or Anarky or Peek-a-Boo could get in too.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

XboxPants posted:

Well, I suppose they don't have to replace the entire cast every season. And they're constantly introducing new heroes in these shows. Coming up just within the next few weeks between the various series, we have Vixen, Jonah Hex, and Red Tornado. They've been working on Mr Terrific for a while and can pull that trigger at any time. Wildcat's still alive. They could give Jesse Quick some Velocity-9. If they've decided Suicide Squad characters are allowable, that's a bunch right there. And that's just hero characters. If a crazy flamer like Heat Wave can be included, then I think Slade or Anarky or Peek-a-Boo could get in too.

Let's just see how they actually pull these off before you start defending them.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

XboxPants posted:

The audience wasn't too interested in the current team made up of some of the more popular side characters, so scraping the bottom of the barrel of the CWverse is not the way to go. This anthology team series is a flawed concept, and building a more static team that carries over each season is probably too expensive for the CW (you are going to need a lot more of those big shots of the entire team fighting at once).

I think you can find a happy medium of having a single hero roaming around the world to fight villains, and pairing up with random heroes they find along the way. That way you can keep the leaner story focus of LoT, but at a manageable budget, and without the need to establish 5 new heroes at once, or bog down Arrow and Flash with setting up characters for another show.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

XboxPants posted:

Wildcat's still alive.

He could end every episode badly beaten and bleeding in the street while his younger protege is fine.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TyrantWD posted:

I think you can find a happy medium of having a single hero roaming around the world to fight villains, and pairing up with random heroes they find along the way. That way you can keep the leaner story focus of LoT, but at a manageable budget, and without the need to establish 5 new heroes at once, or bog down Arrow and Flash with setting up characters for another show.

You could probably pull it off if it was just Rip travelling in time and space with maybe two or three companions.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Wheat Loaf posted:

You could probably pull it off if it was just Rip travelling in time and space with maybe two or three companions.

Rip kinda sucks though. Have Snart steal the Waverider, have him form the Time Rogues or something.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

TyrantWD posted:

I think you can find a happy medium of having a single hero roaming around the world to fight villains, and pairing up with random heroes they find along the way.

Just turn Legends of Tomorrow into The Brave and the Bold

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Don't worry guys, this show will skyrocket in popularity once Chronos removes his mask and is revealed to be Earth-4 Eddie..

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Just have Season 2 be "Legends: Secret Six" and focus on six (or seven) new characters with about half of the episodes focused on each character and the other half being the main story plus character interactions.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

We have the power to travel through time! So let's spend half the season going to europe in the 70s and... the USSR in the 80s.

Yeah, that's totally what we wanted. Here's hoping next week isn't a total cock-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Narcissus1916 posted:

We have the power to travel through time! So let's spend half the season going to europe in the 70s and... the USSR in the 80s.

Yeah, that's totally what we wanted. Here's hoping next week isn't a total cock-up.

I mean, c'mon. NOBODY expected this show to be impressive in the time travel / visual production department. That's just the basic poorly written plot conceit.

HOnestly, they could just as easily be chasing a baddie across the world in one time (and failing horribly) instead, but time travel makes it sound more comic-booky.

• Locked thread