Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

That's how I feel about paid music services like spotify and google play. I could freely download whatever songs I want without much difficulty, but it's worth the fee to not ever have to bother with that and just have everything I want to listen to available at any time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams
Can someone explain to me how something like Etsy works with it being almost entirely knock off fanart stuff? The quality isn't the factor but licensing and intellectual properties. How is that place not sued into oblivion by someone like Nintendo?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Armani posted:

Can someone explain to me how something like Etsy works with it being almost entirely knock off fanart stuff? The quality isn't the factor but licensing and intellectual properties. How is that place not sued into oblivion by someone like Nintendo?

A couple things:

1. The DMCA has a safe harbor provision for content hosts that says they can host infringing material if they qualify. Qualifying involves jumping through a lot of hoops, and involves having a specific process for reporting infringing content. Youtube does this.
2. Nobody, including IP holding companies, really cares about Etsy.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Armani posted:

No IP holder gives a drat about fanart produced on a small scale. Suing fanartists creates a huge PR disaster out of what was essentially free advertising for their product, so it is instead reserved for people making knockoffs of actual company product.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Konstantin posted:

Things like YouTube Red show how far advertising has fallen as a revenue source. I'm not in the field, but offering users the chance to pay to opt out of ads seems like it would really reduce the value of your advertising. I think "people who are willing and able to pay for a premium, recurring online service" are a group that almost every advertiser wants to reach, and buying advertising that specifically excludes that group sounds like a bad idea.

it's better to allow people to pay to opt out of advertising when even my mom knows what an adblocker is and how to install one

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Popular Thug Drink posted:

it's better to allow people to pay to opt out of advertising when even my mom knows what an adblocker is and how to install one

Which is why the smart advertising money goes into product placement these days, car companies in particular will pay princely sums for clear shots of vehicle logos and features.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Kwyndig posted:

Which is why the smart advertising money goes into product placement these days, car companies in particular will pay princely sums for clear shots of vehicle logos and features.

Which is irritating as poo poo during tv shows/movies because they always make it blatant as gently caress that you just fell into an advertisement

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Levitate posted:

Which is irritating as poo poo during tv shows/movies because they always make it blatant as gently caress that you just fell into an advertisement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQYwFND7rHE

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Don't most good mobile ad blockers require a jailbroken/rooted phone? That process does require jumping through some technical hoops.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Levitate posted:

If nothing else no modern product placement is ever going to be as blatant as it was in the Race to Witch Mountain remake.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Konstantin posted:

Don't most good mobile ad blockers require a jailbroken/rooted phone?
No:

http://lifehacker.com/the-best-ad-blockers-for-ios-9-1731433501
http://techcrunch.com/2016/02/09/google-reverses-its-decision-to-ban-ad-blocking-apps-from-the-google-play-store/

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

If nothing else no modern product placement is ever going to be as blatant as it was in the Race to Witch Mountain remake.

Have you seen the Honda fit episode of community lol.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Armani posted:

Etsy isn't selling anything. The people using Etsy to sell things are. That's actually one of the sticking points of the internet right now; from a legal standpoint you have to have a certain amount of policing (look at, say, YouTube) but the hosting service doesn't do anything illegal but not checking everything. If somebody says "hey take this copyrighted thing I own down" they have to but because Etsy is not the one putting it up they can just shrug and say "well you know, there's millions of things on here, we can't look at all of them."

Which is actually where the legality of the internet is kind of still being sorted out and why I mentioned the inertia of "gently caress you, everything is free" going on. Why pay for legit stuff from the creators when you can get knock offs way cheaper? Sticking it to the man that way, right?

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Feb 21, 2016

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
You pay quite a steep price for internet access and a load of useful information is behind paywalls or simply inaccessible to the average Joe. "Everything is free", but "Everything" always turns into a few specific things that the author feels strongly about and paying for access to the internet is never taken into account.

And I'm certain that the gentrification of internet access is one of reasons we're having this argument.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

IndustrialApe posted:

You pay quite a steep price for internet access and a load of useful information is behind paywalls or simply inaccessible to the average Joe. "Everything is free", but "Everything" always turns into a few specific things that the author feels strongly about and paying for access to the internet is never taken into account.

And I'm certain that the gentrification of internet access is one of reasons we're having this argument.

Lol I'm going to need to see the receipts to the argument that Internet access is getting "gentrification".

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
It's not that hard. Just look at the distribution of Google Fiber Access, you will notice that the richer, whiter parts of town are getting high speed fiber access.

It happens in other countries as well, in the Netherlands your town/part of town will only get fiber if a certain amount of people express interest and this too has lead to towns with a higher than average income and education getting fiber before larger cities with poorer neighborhoods.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

That isn't gentrification. I don't see any displacement of poor people or poor people's needs especially given your premise that the roll-outs are taking place in existing high income areas.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yes, it would only be gentrification if fiber was pushed into a lower income area and then rents and property values became too high as a result pushing poor people out. What you're seeing instead is simply capitalism in action, lower income people tend not to have a demand for high speed internet access for various reasons, primarily a lack of luxury items like high end gaming PC's and current generation consoles. If they have phones or tablets those are their primary means of accessing the internet, otherwise they will use their local library.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Holyshoot posted:

Yup like we have all said convenience will make people want to pay and stop being illegal. Netflix has somewhat harnessed this but not all the way nor can it. Until there is a "Netflix" for all current seasons of tv shows that isn't ad riddled like hulu or cost an arm and a leg and setup like cable I'll be sticking to :filez: for what I can't get on netflix.

Netflix needs to make everything available in every region, and I hope they become rich enough to strong arm rights holders into the 21st century.

shrike82 posted:

Lol I'm going to need to see the receipts to the argument that Internet access is getting "gentrification".

code:
I don't like it, so it must be [favourite bad word]!
:qqsay:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

If anything, you could argue the bubble is subsidizing people's consumption of online goods/services. Without the spigot of investor money and regulatory arbitrage, products ranging from Amazon Prime deliveries to Tesla cars to Uber rides would presumably be more expensive.

Of course, for a 1099 worker, the benefits of paying a "subsidized" 10 bucks a month for Netflix etc. are unlikely to outweigh the reduction in wages or benefits.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
While the gentrification argument might not make that much sense in the physical world, what about on the non-physical internet? If the richest segments of the population gain access to far higher bandwidth connections, leading to websites being designed around that level, then you could see gentrification on the internet in the form of some websites having too high a "cost" to use for the people with lovely connections. (Either because it's terribly to load, or because it eats up their bandwidth cap in no time.) Not saying this is definitely going on, but it seems like a theoretical possibility.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

A Buttery Pastry posted:

leading to websites being designed around that level, then you could see gentrification on the internet in the form of some websites having too high a "cost" to use for the people with lovely connections.

This is called a bloated website, not internet gentrification. I have a hard time imagining a business turning away customers like this, especially since the correlation between money and high speed internet access is not 1:1.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Not even websites. Content that would saturate existing broadband bandwidth or caps is largely limited to HD videos and games.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

ductonius posted:

This is called a bloated website, not internet gentrification. I have a hard time imagining a business turning away customers like this, especially since the correlation between money and high speed internet access is not 1:1.
That and the company has to pay for the pipes to send that bloated rear end site to their customers, no reason to do that unnecessarily.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

ductonius posted:

Vertu's leather-clad diamond-studded $10000 crap phones will be advertised most effectively to rich douchebags, because only rich douchebags have the internet speed to load an unnecessary 2 minute 500MB uncompressed high resolution advert before they get bored. Truly the end of the world.

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

We should make a simple list of companies with a realistic revenue stream and those that don't.

Like even if GoPro does badly, at the end of the day at least they make cameras they can sell to people, who pay money for them.

But where does Tumblrs revenue come from? Ads? Really?

I dont know posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQYwFND7rHE

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Every time I eat at Subway I feel mouth raped.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Oldsmobile posted:

We should make a simple list of companies with a realistic revenue stream and those that don't.

Like even if GoPro does badly, at the end of the day at least they make cameras they can sell to people, who pay money for them.

But where does Tumblrs revenue come from? Ads? Really?

Every time I eat at Subway I feel mouth raped.

I feel like unrealistic investor expectations, greed, and the exponential growth of executive salaries has doomed even traditional companies that sell real physical goods. I work for a company that has gutted its corporate staff over the last ten years to remain profitable, and now we're hitting the point where people's jobs are being threatened if we can't sell 'services' because continued growth is unsustainable via only selling retail goods.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

DrNutt posted:

I feel like unrealistic investor expectations, greed, and the exponential growth of executive salaries has doomed even traditional companies that sell real physical goods. I work for a company that has gutted its corporate staff over the last ten years to remain profitable, and now we're hitting the point where people's jobs are being threatened if we can't sell 'services' because continued growth is unsustainable via only selling retail goods.

who needs capitalism when you can have crapitalism

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

DrNutt posted:

It's actually dooming the entire economy, in the end. Even Goldman Sachs recently was like "yeah uh, guys? We can't keep this up forever."

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Yeah, we're clearly headed for some kind of collapse, I'm just wondering what the end game will look like.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Nah, the speculative bubble leading up to '08 was much more dangerous i.e., systemic given the tangle of financial institutions involved. The tech bubble's been largely financed by institutional investors and the major tech players.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

shrike82 posted:

That isn't gentrification. I don't see any displacement of poor people or poor people's needs especially given your premise that the roll-outs are taking place in existing high income areas.
Google Fiber was advertised as "the entire town gets high-speed Internet" and only if you read the fine print did it turn out that entire neighborhoods needed to subscribe. When the rich people in town switch ISPs, the poor people in town are stuck on copper and cable lines that the phone and cable companies have less incentive to maintain and improve. Saying "well, you don't need the speed now" is missing the point; there was a time when I didn't need the speed I've currently got, but then Netflix looked at the streaming market and suddenly I'm watching movies over the wires.

In response to a question upthread: Tumblr doesn't make money, and that's why Yahoo had to write off a hefty chunk of its value last fall. So far Yahoo has not found a successful way to monetize its existing population, and when you don't have screaming growth a promise of future profitability is not what the investors want. See also Twitter.

After Jaws, I have read, producers no longer wanted to produce middle-of-the-road movies; as the decades past, they devoted more and more of their money to blockbusters, which are all-or-nothing shots, or to obvious Oscar candidates, ditto ditto. The variety of movies in wide release has declined as a consequence.

Has anybody seen other unicorns that belong in this thread?

shrike82 posted:

The tech bubble's been largely financed by institutional investors and the major tech players.
And by all the mutual funds, and for that matter banks, which invested in tech players for the growth part of their portfolios.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Nah, you're unlikely to see stuff like the repo run or the breaking of the buck scaring the poo poo out of people.
There's a reason why there's a bank scare going on in Europe right now.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Yelp / Eat24 worker fired for posting on the internet about literally starving to death while working for food company.

The post:

https://medium.com/@taliajane/an-open-letter-to-my-ceo-fb73df021e7a#.5k265ghc9

quote:

... Every single one of my coworkers is struggling. They’re taking side jobs, they’re living at home. One of them started a GoFundMe because she couldn’t pay her rent. She ended up leaving the company and moving east, somewhere the minimum wage could double as a living wage. Another wrote on those neat whiteboards we’ve got on every floor begging for help because he was bound to be homeless in two weeks. Fortunately, someone helped him out. At least, I think they did. I actually haven’t seen him in the past few months. Do you think he’s okay? Another guy who got hired, and ultimately let go, was undoubtedly homeless. He brought a big bag with him and stocked up on all those snacks you make sure are on every floor (except on the weekends when the customer support team is working, because we’re what makes Eat24 24-hours, 7 days a week but the team who comes to stock up those snacks in the early hours during my shift are only there Mondays through Fridays, excluding holidays. They get holidays and weekends off! Can you imagine?). ...

... Bread is a luxury to me, even though you’ve got a whole fridge full of it on the 8th floor. But we’re not allowed to take any of that home because it’s for at-work eating. Of which I do a lot. Because 80 percent of my income goes to paying my rent. Isn’t that ironic? Your employee for your food delivery app that you spent $300 million to buy can’t afford to buy food. That’s gotta be a little ironic, right? ...

... Did I tell you about how I got stuck in the east bay because my credit card, which amazingly allows cash withdrawals, kept getting declined and I didn’t have enough money on my BART Clipper card to get to work? Did I tell you that my manager, with full concern and sympathy for my situation, suggested I just drive through FastTrak and get a $35 ticket for it that I could pay at a later time, just so I could get to work? Did I tell you that an employee at CVS overheard my phone call with my manager and then gave me, straight from his wallet, the six dollars I needed to drive into work? Do you think CVS pays more than Yelp? ...

The whole thing is a pro-read, except the comments, which are horrific.

The response:

http://www.businessinsider.com/talia-jane-fired-yelp-eat24-2-2016

quote:

Yelp's CEO, Jeremy Stoppelman, has responded to Talia Jane on Twitter:

Late last night I read Talia's medium contribution and want to acknowledge her point that the cost of living in SF is far too high. I have been focused on this issue, backing anti-NIMBY group SFBARF and speaking out frequently about the need to lower cost of housing. I've not been personally involved in Talia being let go and it was not because she posted a Medium letter directed at me. Two sides to every HR story so Twitter army please put down the pitchforks. The reality of such a high Bay Area cost of living is entry level jobs migrate to where costs of living are lower. Have already announced we are growing EAT24 support in AZ for this reason.

Guys. Put down the pitchforks, OK? We're moving the whole operation to Phoenix where people don't complain about minimum wage. Also, incidentally, you're all fired.

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

DrNutt posted:

What? I have GoPros attached to all my limbs, so does my family. I record everything 24/7 and since there's 7 billion people on the planet that's like a potential market of 35 billion cameras.

No but seriously that's actually a real problem.

Ikea boss just said they've hit peak stuff: http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jan/18/weve-hit-peak-home-furnishings-says-ikea-boss-consumerism

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Arsenic Lupin posted:

And by all the mutual funds, and for that matter banks, which invested in tech players for the growth part of their portfolios.

If the banks were funding the tech bubble then you wouldn't have VC money.

Even the greediest banks that pushed mortgages to poor people looked at the average startup's risk and said "nah, you can try elsewhere".

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Yelp / Eat24 worker fired for posting on the internet about literally starving to death while working for food company.

we were posting about this in the other techbro thread, she's starving because she didnt want to/couldn't find a roommate and ended up paying more than her monthly income on rent, bills, and transportation alone. thats not really yelp's fault, low wages is one thing but your employer isn't to blame if you legally commit to paying 80% of your wages on rent

i started off sympathetic to her plight but ended up being "drat lady you're 25 and you're still making mistakes of this caliber? nobody's responsible for feeding you but you, step it up"

moving these jobs to a place with a lower cost of living is absolutely the correct thing to do

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The post:

https://medium.com/@taliajane/an-open-letter-to-my-ceo-fb73df021e7a#.5k265ghc9

The whole thing is a pro-read, except the comments, which are horrific.

The response:

http://www.businessinsider.com/talia-jane-fired-yelp-eat24-2-2016

Guys. Put down the pitchforks, OK? We're moving the whole operation to Phoenix where people don't complain about minimum wage. Also, incidentally, you're all fired.

Stupid Millennial with its head in the clouds wants to achieve the ~dream~ of becoming the twitor posting intern of a hip and cool company, moves to the most expensive city in country to join their customer relations call center drone force to achieve that dream. Said dream immediately gets crushed by reality, stupid millennial breaks down crying. Literal moustache-twirling techlord executive takes a break from bathing in the blood of orphans tech-illiterate grandmas to fire crying millennial and everyone else while he's at it to improve imaginary growth projections, and basically kicks a puppy in public.

This story is basically Peak Tech.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I can't wait for someone to write the tech culture-equivalent of American Psycho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliksf
Jan 1, 2003
I miss fuckedcompany.com more than one of my friends ended up finding out he or she was about to be unemployed by checking the site regularly is there a twenty teens equivalent?
https://web.archive.org/web/20010515183530/http://www.fuckedcompany.com/
https://web.archive.org/web/2001060...=0&crapfilter=1