Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

jjac posted:

It's not real, nor I think it ever will be, but I swear they've been pushing this franchise to become a popular competitive game since vanilla GW1 regardless of everything.

GW1 pvp was awesome as hell and a lot better than whatever we have now. GW2 decided to forget a bunch of lessons GW1 learned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, gw1 pvp was actually marginally more interesting to watch because each skill usage had actual weight to it compared to the particle effect fest we have now where people rub against one another until someone maybe dies

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I have to tell ya, If they seriously kept with GW1 rather than GW2, There'd be more specific PVP going on. because 1 and 2's pvp is like night and day. Not even delving into it, Guild Wars 1's pvp is all about group synergy, and GW2 is anything but.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
gw2's pvp involves synergy in that there is probably one ideal team comp you want to be running or you're deliberately hamstrung

disclaimer: i don't play this game anymore

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

STOP

DISCO TIME!

ps how can I get my screenshots to look less shite?!

DISASTER DOVE
Dec 13, 2015

D̷O̶N̴'̴T̷ ̸T̷O̷U̵C̷H̶ ̶M̷E̸
You can add a "-bmp" command line argument to your launcher that will create lossless screenshots, if you want to take screenshots that generally look better. That wiki page should show you how to set it up

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

gw2's pvp involves synergy in that there is probably one ideal team comp you want to be running or you're deliberately hamstrung

disclaimer: i don't play this game anymore

Finalist team comps were as varied as:

2 Rev, Ele, Mesmer, Scrapper
2 Rev, Ele, Reaper, Scrapper (both teams used this in the final matches)
Rev, Ele, Druid, Scrapper, Reaper
2 Rev, Druid, Scrapper, Reaper

But it'll be fixed by the next tournament, they aren't letting you double up on a class at all then.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Fargin Icehole posted:

I haven't bought the expansion yet. My max levels are Warrior, Guardian, and Thief. Which of these subclasses are actually fun?

Every class has a good spec without HoT and every class has an OP spec with HoT. I'm not being hyperbolic.

New wings are good too.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
With the expansion, Guardians get wings without needing one of those skins. That's why they're the superior class. :colbert:

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

CaptainSwanky posted:

You can add a "-bmp" command line argument to your launcher that will create lossless screenshots, if you want to take screenshots that generally look better. That wiki page should show you how to set it up

gently caress yes, thanks so much!! I will test. Disco Sylvari needs his glamour portrait.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I made a thing for Dragon's Stand - mapped out the numbers on the islands at the end

The center island is 1, then it spirals clockwise out from there. There is a pattern to the numbers, though it's a completely moronic one that defeats the entire purpose of numbering them.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Hey gooms, I'm thinking of running another HoT HP train tomorrow night, say around 9:30 PM EST? /sqjoin Fat Hobo around that time if you'd like to come along!

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Surprisingly, GW2 PvP was actually much better before ArenaNet decided to put a lot of work and attention into it. It's reached new lows since the expansion. Though, if I were to pinpoint its nadir, it would be as talent trees were reworked, at the rise of the bunker ele. That meta seamlessly transitioned into the bunker meta of season 1 and into, arguably, the soft-bunker meta we have currently. The current slog has really highlighted the fundamental issues of PvP. That is: the strain of dull repetitive match-ups has been exacerbated by dull repetitive match-ups that take forever to play out.

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Feb 22, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i feel like things might start balancing out more overall when the next batch of elite specs is released for the next expansion.

whenever that is.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
I was gonna make a snarky comment about pvp being fixed with the next expansion, but there's a good chance they will have abandoned elite specs by then anyway

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

forkbucket posted:

I was gonna make a snarky comment about pvp being fixed with the next expansion, but there's a good chance they will have abandoned elite specs by then anyway

Well, we might get some really half-baked addition to the system, before they declare the whole system a failure, because nobody likes the half-baked addition!

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Schpyder posted:

Hey gooms, I'm thinking of running another HoT HP train tomorrow night, say around 9:30 PM EST? /sqjoin Fat Hobo around that time if you'd like to come along!

Oooh, count me in!

CaptainSwanky posted:

Well poo poo, no wonder everyone else's pics were so much better than mine.

Fargin Icehole posted:

I haven't bought the expansion yet. My max levels are Warrior, Guardian, and Thief. Which of these subclasses are actually fun?

Warrior's is fun in that you can set poo poo on fire and do silly physical stuff like use enemies as a bowling ball to knock other enemies down.

Guardian's is fun so I hear, but I still haven't gotten mine its elite spec yet. Guess I'll be doing that tonight.

Thief's is actually really fun to play as, dodging around everything in a bunch of cool ways. As far as I know though, it is kinda a letdown and doesn't let you do much anything new that the acrobatics line didn't already used to have. Still really fun to dodge around. Absolutely most fun movement out of any class by far.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Dorkopotamis posted:

Surprisingly, GW2 PvP was actually much better before ArenaNet decided to put a lot of work and attention into it. It's reached new lows since the expansion. Though, if I were to pinpoint its nadir, it would be as talent trees were reworked, at the rise of the bunker ele. That meta seamlessly transitioned into the bunker meta of season 1 and into, arguably, the soft-bunker meta we have currently. The current slog has really highlighted the fundamental issues of PvP. That is: the strain of dull repetitive match-ups has been exacerbated by dull repetitive match-ups that take forever to play out.

Yeah, having two elementalists that just slap eachother without their health dipping below 99% isn't the most exciting thing to watch, in GW1 you could have hard to kill classes like monks, but the pvp was far less capture point based and when you did finally kill someone their teammates wouldn't be able to bring them back up from a downed state in 2 seconds.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

imo they should delete all of the content in this game and force everyone to download a ~10gb patch that's just Guild Wars 1

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Spvp is poo poo because there is only one boring as gently caress garbage game mode that gets played. gently caress conquest. I'd spvp if there was any variety at all.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

forkbucket posted:

the elite specs were one of the most successful and well-liked parts of the expansion. why the gently caress would they do that.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Spvp is poo poo because there is only one boring as gently caress garbage game mode that gets played. gently caress conquest. I'd spvp if there was any variety at all.

but gw2 itself Is a garbage game mode

is what dukka would say if he were here, I think

:rip:

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

but gw2 itself Is a garbage game mode

is what dukka would say if he were here, I think

:rip:
you can unironically give a different korean company $30 for a better experience atm

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Not until a few days into March!

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Most fun PvP experience in GW2 so far has been the dragon arena thing they have for Chinese new year.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Avalerion posted:

Most fun PvP experience in GW2 so far has been the dragon arena thing they have for Chinese new year.

That ruled, and the snowball fight during wintersday. I cannot comprehend why they don't add game modes like that to regular sPvP, I'd actually play it if they did. Conquest is devoid of any semblance of fun.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

CLAM DOWN posted:

That ruled, and the snowball fight during wintersday. I cannot comprehend why they don't add game modes like that to regular sPvP, I'd actually play it if they did. Conquest is devoid of any semblance of fun.

You dont get it man, sPvP is where poo poo gets real! We cant have any of that kind of stuff here, its not serious and gritty! enough!

Now excuse me while i go prancing into a match with my oversized norn male, quaggan backpack and a balloon, while dressed like a garish multicolored clown*. :buddy:

*I dont own any of these things. :negative:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 22, 2016

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

CLAM DOWN posted:

:cawg:

Dukka posted:

you can unironically give a different korean company $30 for a better experience atm

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Dukka posted:

Blizzard isn't korean and hots is free mate.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Visidan posted:

Blizzard isn't korean and hots is free mate.

I may be pretty down on this game right now, but even I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's worse than HotS.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

The real GW2 experience is still Lazy's forum AV and titles

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

The real GW2 experience is still Lazy's forum AV and titles

The real gw2 experience is being surprised by there being more than 8 people in mumble exactly twice a week.

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

Vargs posted:

I may be pretty down on this game right now, but even I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's worse than HotS.

This is a frankly shameful opinion to have at this time.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Zhulik posted:

The real gw2 experience is being surprised by there being more than 8 people in mumble exactly twice a week.

That's cause we're all on the discord now #JoinTheRevolution

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Zhulik posted:

Our server average load is 30 users you dick sack

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
hehe, load

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

Visidan posted:

That's cause we're all on the discord now #JoinTheRevolution

See you at the next #hypesquad event, buddy!

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

CLAM DOWN posted:

Our server average load is 30 users you dick sack

Why don't you load yourself into mumble and play some Heroes of the Storm by Blizzard Entertainment, mate. Bring cletus.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Zhulik posted:

Why don't you load yourself into mumble and play some Heroes of the Storm by Blizzard Entertainment, mate. Bring cletus.

I'm going to Raynor the poo poo out of your noob rear end, kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

We should have a GW2 goon guild hots showmatch. Goon Squad's best vs the team of SFD members that will likely lose because lazy refuses to call shots.

• Locked thread