Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TTerrible posted:

Beer, don't take this the wrong way - but are you heading back into the SC fold? You've been pretty quiet in here recently, and when you do post you're not as scathing as you used to be. Also, that guy that did the promo machinima that was trying to get CIG to NOTICE ME SENPAI said you'd helped out.

LOL gently caress no. This thread is going insanely fast and believe or not I do have a life. Work has really spun up and we're nearing the end of the build season for a high school robotics team that I volunteer for (FIRST Robotics Competition).

As for Parias, he put in a fuckload of work into that and deserves kudos for it. I gladly helped him because that is an awesome project and I remain impressed with what he's done with CIG's assets. I feel he did a remarkable job of capturing the essence of what SC could have potentially been had CR not gotten in his own way. It made me fondly remember the early days.

Personally there's not much to say. CIG isn't going to change, we haven't seen any meaningful progress from them since December, and the spergs are too loving stupid to consider the possibility that things are hosed. My own involvement is largely tangential at this point as I have burned all bridges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

im the sugar free redbull

also jesus gently caress he struggles getting up to stand like i struggle on the last rep of a 300lb squat.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I love the pretense that this is for people who have injuries or just don't like touching toilet paper, but halfway through we get the real target market with "There are advantages to being a big guy." What advantages, fatass? Not having to get up for more cake because anything weighing less than twenty pounds anywhere near you is pulled into gravitational orbit?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
I have legit been eating less food due to reading this thread. That .gif of Lesnik hauling himself up off the couch? Horrendous. That's negligence and then some.

Thanks Star Citizen. I guess dreams can come true?

Also Derek, just out interest, who might actually be worthy of the title, 'visionary' in games development? I'm wondering if it's almost always a red flag to see that adjective for a developer or game designer etc, or if it used to be a compliment with less connotations? Granted with so called 'journalists' out there in the games industry playing fast and loose with facts, let alone exaggeration, it can be difficult to discern who was the first to coin a moniker, or hang a lofty title or expectation, but I was just wondering how you felt about that description, 'visionary' and if anyone has actually earned the title in the field you work in.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

Sunswipe posted:

I love the pretense that this is for people who have injuries or just don't like touching toilet paper, but halfway through we get the real target market with "There are advantages to being a big guy." What advantages, fatass? Not having to get up for more cake because anything weighing less than twenty pounds anywhere near you is pulled into gravitational orbit?

Well you can basically corner the market on desperately horny big women and it isn't a big deal because you are dating people of your own body type.

I assume...

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Sunswipe posted:

it's been hard for christie since new hampshire

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The trailer for LOD looks really good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv6OcTO1ASs

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Romes128 posted:

also jesus gently caress he struggles getting up to stand like i struggle on the last rep of a 300lb squat.

The pictures posted here always show him drinking something like a Diet Coke or that Redbull.

Like holy poo poo, someone tell Ben to stop drinking that poo poo and drink nothing but water. Go do some walks. If RSI has any sort of good insurance, they'd also cover most of the cost of weight-loss surgery for him because I'm sure that would qualify as needed for his health.

If that company cared about their employees at all they would get this guy the help he needs to lose that weight. At my job I've seen people who have been very overweight, not to that level but still pretty bad, and our insurance let them get surgery and also take short-term disability to recover from it. They both have lost a ton of weight and look much better because of it.

But we already know that company doesn't give a poo poo about their employees.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Ding dong

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

spacetoaster posted:

Seriously Derek? I'm assuming you're calling this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lItnJWPOScE a fiasco?

I seriously just laughed and moved on. You're just a normal shmuck like a lot of us who's a little internet famous. Don't sweat it.

BTW, this is the theme song that plays when I read this thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMWWBigvbkY

I think there was a worse video where Derek's edited into talking about his dick.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe
To some extent I do feel sorry for Ben. Initially at least, it must have felt like a dream job to work for CIG, getting regular access and attention from his hero, and being at the very heart of the action. Over time, with the endless delays and buggy releases, it must have started to become a very depressing situation to be in, with no easy way to get out.

I know he wasn't exactly a svelt figure to begin with, but seeing his weight balloon until he's sure to be in the medical category of 'morbidly obese', I think it must be a symtom of the stress he's under, with only comfort eating as an outlet. I suspect nowadays he's viewed as a 'useful idiot' by the senior management, and wouldn't be surprised if Sandi, Ortwin el al treat him as an object of ridicule (behind his back probably).

For his own sake he should get out before this shambles of a project implodes, start taking care of his health, and begin to re-establish his sense of self-worth.

The Pi dude
Oct 19, 2013
Buglord

Romes128 posted:

That's cause he's doing a 500lb squat.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

If this stupid rear end game has idiots who proclaim themselves millionaires throwing over 30k at it, then one of them should offer to pay for Ben's weight-loss surgery. At least then you'd actually be helping a human being and not buying worthless jpgs.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Amarcarts posted:

Well you can basically corner the market on desperately horny big women and it isn't a big deal because you are dating people of your own body type.

I assume...

desperately horny you say....

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Romes128 posted:

Well how 'bout you try a 500lb squat like he did

lol efb

Tijuana Bibliophile fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 21, 2016

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Newly weds ready to cut anyone who comes near their five wedding cakes.

You forgot Beefcake Ben.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

I know folks have said it before, but never mind the 100 million dollars which have gone up in smoke, the real tragedy here is that we are watching an episodic documentary of a man killing himself in slow motion.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

LOL gently caress no. This thread is going insanely fast and believe or not I do have a life. Work has really spun up and we're nearing the end of the build season for a high school robotics team that I volunteer for (FIRST Robotics Competition).

As for Parias, he put in a fuckload of work into that and deserves kudos for it. I gladly helped him because that is an awesome project and I remain impressed with what he's done with CIG's assets. I feel he did a remarkable job of capturing the essence of what SC could have potentially been had CR not gotten in his own way. It made me fondly remember the early days.

Personally there's not much to say. CIG isn't going to change, we haven't seen any meaningful progress from them since December, and the spergs are too loving stupid to consider the possibility that things are hosed. My own involvement is largely tangential at this point as I have burned all bridges.

I'm relieved. Good luck with your robots!

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Ponzi posted:

To some extent I do feel sorry for Ben. Initially at least, it must have felt like a dream job to work for CIG, getting regular access and attention from his hero, and being at the very heart of the action. Over time, with the endless delays and buggy releases, it must have started to become a very depressing situation to be in, with no easy way to get out.

I know he wasn't exactly a svelt figure to begin with, but seeing his weight balloon until he's sure to be in the medical category of 'morbidly obese', I think it must be a symtom of the stress he's under, with only comfort eating as an outlet. I suspect nowadays he's viewed as a 'useful idiot' by the senior management, and wouldn't be surprised if Sandi, Ortwin el al treat him as an object of ridicule (behind his back probably).

For his own sake he should get out before this shambles of a project implodes, start taking care of his health, and begin to re-establish his sense of self-worth.

Can't feel too sorry about his job. I'm sure he's paid handsomely to do pretty much gently caress all but sit around with Santa eating and bore everyone about Wing Commander.

His health though is a disaster and he'll probably be the first SC death the way it's going. Sort your poo poo out Ben.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ponzi posted:

If you include running your Wing Commander fansite on your LinkedIn page and use your standard "Here's me looking like Brian Boyko and holding a prop from a poo poo film" photo, I don't think you've got much in the way of a sense of self-worth to begin with.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Ponzi posted:

Being that fat I think he has few opportunities to be anything other than a subject of ridicule

I sometimes think we should drop the fat jokes a bit because it detracts from other more legitimate criticism of him, but then I see some gif :psyduck:

I've never seen anything like him outside freak shows on TV

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Darkpriest667 posted:

ok serious non shitpost here.

I've been wondering for a long while if this whole fiasco is going to really negatively impact the gaming industry. Look, CIG has managed to raise 105+ million dollars and barely produce a tech demo or anything really substantial. How many gaming executives are out there watching this and wondering to themselves, "hmm if we can create enough of a hype around a concept people fat nerd idiots will give us money and make all sorts of excuses for us."

CIG possibly has the worst development results in the history of gaming. That's pretty hard to do when you have Duke Nukem forever out there. They've produced almost nothing and there are STILL people fat nerd idiots giving them money. What are the long term consequences to gaming from this monumental clusterfuck? It can't possibly be good for those of us that enjoy real games for this to continue.

I wouldn't imagine any significant consequences. The huge publishers have to at least consider their long-term reputation so that they can sell you FIFA 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016. Indie devs will continue making smaller games which may be good or terrible. There will probably be some people trying to recreate the golden goose that is Star Citizen by making outrageous promises, but I don't see the entire game industry turning to dream-based business plans.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

Well I for one wish Dolvac all the best, let's hear it for Dolvac, hip hip:

hip hip this....

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

D_Smart posted:

Indeed. I just want to make games, man. If I had the money to do everything I wanted to do, that would be a different story. Which is why, over the years, I stick to making sure that features in my game are solid, that the gameplay is solid and that those who buy and play my games, know that sacrifices have to be made. That's why people who buy my games, buy my games. I tend to be quite clear in my goals and there is nothing democratic about my process. My design. My game. My decisions.

Taking this Starguard carrier for example. There is no game. On the planet. That has ever done that. And it's just one more location in a massive game. Even Star Citizen with all their tech (lol!), money and stellar engineers, can't get a single location running at any decent frame rate. Let alone a multi-deck carrier in which over 256 players can exist in, at any one time.

Anyway, we have to keep working on the tone mapping. It was pretty dark before. Some people complained. We revised it. Now I think it's a bit too bright; though it is a ship and needs to be well lit at all times.

ps: Give me $50M and I will have the best graphics - and gameplay - ever.

pps: That Starguard cost about $25K to build. And that's considered cheap. Just an FYI.

No I get it, and it's a good thing that you've maintained your scope of vision. I don't really care about how you say something, you wouldn't be you if you weren't bombastic, I just care about what you're saying. Perhaps a big part of the problem is that I simply haven't seen anything about your gameplay that sets it apart. Much of what you've shown, such as with the flight model, hasn't really struck me as terribly fun or engaging. But as you say it's your design and your game and clearly there's an audience there that you've captured. I wouldn't expect you to change your vision any more than you would expect me to change what appeals to me as a gamer. With respect to your financial scope I suspect that's another reason for the negativity. People look at how you are attacking Star Citizen and assume you're competing with it. Clearly, given your budget, that's not the case. I suspect your target market segment is closer to Angels Fall First?

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
Did Dolvak ACTUALLY get removed?!?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

How do you eat enough to get into this condition? I'm not exactly a poster child for Weight Watchers myself, but I can't imagine how it's possible to eat the amount of food required to get to that state without throwing up. For added disturbing value: can he wipe his own arse, or does he have to use some implement intended for the disabled?

Maybe that's why he got married? Between the size of the two of them, it sure can't be for the sex...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Honestly when I first saw this I thought his hand gestures were gang signs. Then I thought he was emulating Chris Roberts.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Derek, why is there no drink mixing on the Starguard? :mad:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I wonder if Dolvak is still running the downvote bot.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Sunswipe posted:

can he wipe his own arse, or does he have to use some implement intended for the disabled?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Daztek posted:

and for 2000 UEC you can have the lamp

Isn't that Ikea's? Like don't they own the design?

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

If Ben is truly butthurt over people ITT calling him fat, he should give us something else to talk about, like what the next major feature will be, in the game

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Enchanted Hat posted:

I wouldn't imagine any significant consequences. The huge publishers have to at least consider their long-term reputation so that they can sell you FIFA 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016. Indie devs will continue making smaller games which may be good or terrible. There will probably be some people trying to recreate the golden goose that is Star Citizen by making outrageous promises, but I don't see the entire game industry turning to dream-based business plans.
Exactly. EA are money-grabbing bastards, but they're like De Niro's gang in Heat in comparison to Croberts' small time punk robbing a post office. They're not going to throw away the sort of money they earn from their franchises for the comparitively small amount this sort of scam could net them.

Samizdata posted:

Maybe that's why he got married? Between the size of the two of them, it sure can't be for the sex...

:barf:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Friendly Humour posted:

Isn't that Ikea's? Like don't they own the design?

ikea post your copyright here i dare you

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

we are only attempting to maintain the fidelty of your subreddit, do not be alarmed

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Rest in Pepperoni

(paid by backers)

(the backers won't know where we buried him)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Happy Sisyphus posted:

ikea post your copyright here i dare you

I wanna see the lawsuit reahc open beta

• Locked thread